Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Thursday Next posted:

Oh, here we go!

I am so sorry, folks.

My number one writing pet peeve is people who are ostensibly allergic to the word "said". If your ability to describe a situation is decent, then you don't need to expand on the fact that your character "snarled" something. If you try and act a scene (and this is a scene as much as it is a fantasy validating her non-fatness) out loud by actually doing the actions your characters are using, guess what? Every single person looks loving bonkers.

I will also never recover from "guzzled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

cash crab posted:

My number one writing pet peeve is people who are ostensibly allergic to the word "said". If your ability to describe a situation is decent, then you don't need to expand on the fact that your character "snarled" something. If you try and act a scene (and this is a scene as much as it is a fantasy validating her non-fatness) out loud by actually doing the actions your characters are using, guess what? Every single person looks loving bonkers.

This drove me insane when trying to read 50 Foot Ant's giant STDH stories where pretty much every "said" synonym was "snarled", "growled" or other similar things.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I wish I could remember which actual published book I read as a kid where a character "goggled" a line, which was the moment I became very aware of that bad writing habit.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Mr. Belpit posted:

I wish I could remember which actual published book I read as a kid where a character "goggled" a line, which was the moment I became very aware of that bad writing habit.

I've been reading a detective series that's been going since the mid 90's and it's depressing how things went from "I got paged. I need to find a phone" to "I googled the address on my phone"

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

bean_shadow posted:

"Afterwards we can watch Marley and Me!"

Marley and I.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

The fat people stories display a strange sort of anti-talent. I'm seriously kind of impressed that someone could write a story where someone crashes her birthday party and devours the entire cake, while making the narrator seem like the most insufferable person in the room.

Also, someone should program a neural network or whatever the hot computer thing these days is to spew out endless variations of "lard planet" or whatever. The amount of upvotes it'd get on that sub would crash reddit.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Can we get some 50 foot ant stories in here? It always used to make me laugh how he'd describe his wife as SUPER HOT ( AND PREGNANT)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cash crab posted:

said bookisms.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Odd. I somewhat prefer the sound of the first version, the one with all the bits we're supposed to be avoiding.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Adverbs, so many adverbs. How is that better?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wasn't there a thread that made fun of the fatstories?
I think one of the good posts satirized the writing with "[fat person] said, fatly."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SerialKilldeer posted:

Also, someone should program a neural network or whatever the hot computer thing these days is to spew out endless variations of "lard planet" or whatever. The amount of upvotes it'd get on that sub would crash reddit.

God, wouldn't it? I'm convinced half these people are just competing to come up with the most over-ornamented, obtuse insults they can think of, like the childfree guys and their endless array of bizarre terms for children and mothers. Whichever one of them first said "hmm, no, 'hambeast' just isn't a strong enough term to describe this husky middle-aged guy I saw at the supermarket, I have to go stronger" created a monster.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My personal favourite is seeing people try to combine "Landwhale" and "Ham Planet" and say "Land Planet"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Danaru posted:

My personal favourite is seeing people try to combine "Landwhale" and "Ham Planet" and say "Land Planet"

I dunno. Whaleham sounds amusing. Or hamwhale.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

God, wouldn't it? I'm convinced half these people are just competing to come up with the most over-ornamented, obtuse insults they can think of, like the childfree guys and their endless array of bizarre terms for children and mothers. Whichever one of them first said "hmm, no, 'hambeast' just isn't a strong enough term to describe this husky middle-aged guy I saw at the supermarket, I have to go stronger" created a monster.

I think my favorite childfree nickname for kids is "semen demon." Or possibly "crotch dropping."

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Antivehicular posted:

I find it very strange and mysterious (no I don't) that "hambeast" and similar terms are actually almost exclusively used to describe huge women.

In fact, the fat hater stories in general are almost always about women. How weird!!!!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Oh! Thank you, I love this.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I'm still a fan of :btroll: personally. I never thought of hamplanet or lardwhale or whatever being gendered insults, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Most fat hate is deeply, frighteningly misogynistic. Dudes like that see women as sex objects, so a woman who is fat or unattractive is basically subhuman to them.

What I don't get is the guys who are personally affronted by the existence of fat people, like did a fat kid steal your lunch or something?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Most fat hate is deeply, frighteningly misogynistic. Dudes like that see women as sex objects, so a woman who is fat or unattractive is basically subhuman to them.

What I don't get is the guys who are personally affronted by the existence of fat people, like did a fat kid steal your lunch or something?

My friends little brother went through a phase in his early high school days where he said fascism wasn't inherently evil and that states should have the right to ban fat people.

He went ROTC out of high school and lives in Colorado now but I hope he's mellowed out since then because goddamn.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Drunk Tomato posted:

I find it very strange and mysterious (no I don't) that "hambeast" and similar terms are actually almost exclusively used to describe huge women.

In fact, the fat hater stories in general are almost always about women. How weird!!!!

Yeah, you're right. I was mostly just thinking of the time in the old GBS fat-hate thread that noted garbage poster Three Olives posted a picture of a slightly husky middle-aged man he'd seen at the supermarket, standing in front of a shelf of bread, and was like "lol look at this gross FATTY FAT FAT buying junk food!!" I don't know if that was a case of Three Olives being gay and doing the same "anyone of the gender I'm attracted to who isn't personally attractive to me is a war criminal" thing straight dudes pull on women, or whether it was just Three Olives being an awful person. Or both.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I see this a lot. People very passionately highlighting the dangers of obesity while condemning the supposed rampant "fat acceptance movement" as if they cared about the health of fat people when all they really think is that fat people are gross.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well, they are.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Strudel Man posted:

Well, they are.

User name is sad disappointment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

AlbieQuirky posted:

User name is sad disappointment.

OP doesn't get high on his own supply.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That was typed with one hand. :rolleyes:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Get back to analyzing, you crazy analysts :rolleyes:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Hey Susan, are you coming to the orgy on Sunday afternoon? I hear Todd from payroll is gonna be there!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Dear Penthouse, you'll never believe what happened to me

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

His 100 employees having a huge fuckfest not being enough, our intrepid writer decides that the only thing that might explain his coming back a day earlier than planned is a loving office building in the middle of Atlanta all of a sudden collapsing in itself and nobody even bothering to report on it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also: analysts? More like ANAL-ysts hahaha

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

System Metternich posted:

His 100 employees having a huge fuckfest not being enough, our intrepid writer decides that the only thing that might explain his coming back a day earlier than planned is a loving office building in the middle of Atlanta all of a sudden collapsing in itself and nobody even bothering to report on it

The orgy in that building accidentally converged on a structural weak point that was barely safe for a foursome. drat engineers just don't take these things seriously!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

System Metternich posted:

He also decided to be more believable the story needed a loony tunes-esque ending.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

:cripes:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm with the commenter on that last one, but about all of them.

The last one is so stupid I refuse to believe it's not written by someone trying to make fun of every tumblr stereotype.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Oct 30, 2017

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Seriously, I get being annoyed about unwanted "compliments" from randos, but 1) grow a thicker skin and 2) there's much worse and more threatening than being called foxy by a man who can't even reach you

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I like how the commenters censored name takes the shape of a penis. Male privilege everywhere!

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

This is utterly unbelievable. What kind of an office building has 100 workers coming in on a Sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Trash Boat posted:

This is utterly unbelievable. What kind of an office building has 100 workers coming in on a Sunday?

The kind that has them coming in each other, apparently.