Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

The Mash posted:

E: You can run two of these and the aura can proc devotions - http://www.grimtools.com/db/items/8898

I was already planning to run one of those, but thanks for pointing out that the aura can be assigned to many devotions. I actually missed that. That's really good to know. I still think that Infiltrator is stronger to showcase what I want to do, but knowing about that aura will help me optimize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Wheres a good place to see the new gear added in the expansion?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

new phone who dis posted:

Wheres a good place to see the new gear added in the expansion?

Grimtools makes it pretty darn easy.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone have a build for a 2H Death Knight? There don't seem to be a lot of them kicking around out there.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I'm streaming another session of my Apostate playthrough with ssmagus: twitch.tv/dahbadu

Will we kill the best nemesis boss tonight or fail miserably like last night?

Feel free to hang out and chill. Also, ask questions! It'll make us feel helpful!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kheldarn posted:

Does anyone have a build for a 2H Death Knight? There don't seem to be a lot of them kicking around out there.

The general consensus among the top players on the official forums seems to be that Death Knight sucks for the end game, since there's very little synergy in damage types between the classes and legendary gear support is almost non existent. Because it's not good in ultimate, the top players aren't interested in it. But a lot of people say it's good leveling through elite, because necro has lots of good kill dudes skills that don't fall off without heavy gear support until late game, while soldier is great for mobility and staying alive. So if you're only going to play through veteran/elite, Death Knight seems fine.

I'd go for a bone harvest build using all four WPS passives on the top row of each class. That way you get big, fuckoff AoE blasts with lots of interesting and varied animations in between. There are certainly other ways you could go, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, OK. I'll go Reaper, then. I was deciding between that and Death Knight, and was gonna go DK because I'm a nerd who likes DragonLance.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So, question for the room because I've never done a pet build before, how crucial is having a bunch of "bonus to pets" gear to them not feeling like trash? Because I'm hitting some walls in late Elite with my vit-based Necro/Shaman and I'd like to give a ton of pet stuff a try, but not if it means experiencing the pain even harder.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So, question for the room because I've never done a pet build before, how crucial is having a bunch of "bonus to pets" gear to them not feeling like trash? Because I'm hitting some walls in late Elite with my vit-based Necro/Shaman and I'd like to give a ton of pet stuff a try, but not if it means experiencing the pain even harder.
You should be fine as long as you take the right devotions and put your skill points in the right places. Obviously gear will make things a lot easier, but my necro/occultist is at 40 and only has a couple +pet items. He tears through everything like toilet paper in a monsoon except for bosses, wherein I have to actually press a couple buttons myself.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I've read the Crucible DLC page on Steam multiple times and I'm still not sure exactly what it's for / if I would enjoy it. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what it's like?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's horde mode. You get dropped in an arena and keep fighting waves of monsters until you either check out and take your rewards or die. There's a leaderboard if that's your thing and I think I've heard it's decent farming, but I find it kind of dull for that. It's good for testing your characters at endgame if you need more challenge.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 28, 2017

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

it's good to do for a bit on a new char because you can get a bunch of devotion points quickly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was gifted this game by a kind friend of mine and I'm starting to believe it wasn't so kind of an act because when a human next sees me I'm going to be a rotted skeleton in a chair, having played it for the rest of my life and then died. By which I mean, I really enjoy it! I've tried a sorcerer/nightblade type character and now a demonlitionist/occultist who uses guns and both are quite fun. I'm not very far in, barely even halfway through act 1, but I found a blue tier pistol that shits a billion poison damage everywhere so I'm pretty satisfied for now.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I was gifted this game by a kind friend of mine and I'm starting to believe it wasn't so kind of an act because when a human next sees me I'm going to be a rotted skeleton in a chair, having played it for the rest of my life and then died. By which I mean, I really enjoy it! I've tried a sorcerer/nightblade type character and now a demonlitionist/occultist who uses guns and both are quite fun. I'm not very far in, barely even halfway through act 1, but I found a blue tier pistol that shits a billion poison damage everywhere so I'm pretty satisfied for now.

Thanks for posting! Glad you're enjoying the game. The game took me by surprise too. If you have any questions, etc. feel free to post.

Hopefully GD goes on a Steam sale soon. I'd like to get some more goons in here. Active player metrics are still strong: http://steamcharts.com/app/219990#1m

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Cool! Think you might stream it at some point? :)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Cool! Think you might stream it at some point? :)

I was thinking about it, actually! It seems like a pretty good game to chill out with stream viewers and play. I am having a lot of fun setting snake people and wannabe cacodemons on fire.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for posting! Glad you're enjoying the game. The game took me by surprise too. If you have any questions, etc. feel free to post.

Hopefully GD goes on a Steam sale soon. I'd like to get some more goons in here. Active player metrics are still strong: http://steamcharts.com/app/219990#1m

The base game is on sale right now.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Hey guys, fella who asked for the LP here. Picked the game up again yesterday, and decided to give Elite difficulty a whirl. Making some progress, but I'm definitely feeling the leap in difficulty. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little; here's a link to my build http://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyDBBeV

Is this a viable build? I kinda like the play-style that comes from this one; hang back, fill enemies with lead, back off if necessary. I started out by following some guide, but I can't remember which, and so I've been assigning points rather haphazardly, and I've no idea if my devotions are helping me much.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

inscrutable horse posted:

Hey guys, fella who asked for the LP here. Picked the game up again yesterday, and decided to give Elite difficulty a whirl. Making some progress, but I'm definitely feeling the leap in difficulty. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little; here's a link to my build http://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyDBBeV

Is this a viable build? I kinda like the play-style that comes from this one; hang back, fill enemies with lead, back off if necessary. I started out by following some guide, but I can't remember which, and so I've been assigning points rather haphazardly, and I've no idea if my devotions are helping me much.
People who know more than me will be more helpful but right now I can tell you, Mirror of Ereoctes (which you have no points in so far) is going to be Real useful no matter your Arcanist build or general idea.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I made some tweaks to Grim Goon, so the characters have more well-rounded gear along with a more realistic amount of iron bits and recipe components. I updated the OP with it.

// GRIM GOON & GOONETTE
Version 3.0 download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybuaGc1iPrpYzBWTlh4LWR3UDQ/view?usp=sharing

Follow the included instructions to have two "blank" level 67 character, starting on Ultimate. They each have a special collection of gear that's both not OP and is tested to work as viable on any build. They also have a collection of components for their level, in case you're planning on using a certain component in your build.

The characters have fully completed Veteran and Elite Difficulty, but haven't yet done anything in Ultimate. You'll have all the skill points and devotions available for a level 67 + 4 attribute/skill points from quests in earlier difficulties.

If you're looking to start over, I *strongly* suggest using these characters. Just the general-purpose gear selection may be fun to test out.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

This is what I've got going on as a witch hunter caster so far in ultimate. It's been really effective and fun.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dootman posted:

The base game is on sale right now.

Thanks! I updated the OP with an alert.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well, after mowing down Elite with my DW Fire Purifier, and now taking on Elite with my 2H Cold Reaper, I feel that Ranged is superior to Melee in this game... That's going to make things interesting for future characters, because I love playing Melee DPS. Ranged DPS has always been something that, while I don't mind it, I never find it as fun as Melee. This game is making me feel the love for Ranged DPS.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Well, after mowing down Elite with my DW Fire Purifier, and now taking on Elite with my 2H Cold Reaper, I feel that Ranged is superior to Melee in this game... That's going to make things interesting for future characters, because I love playing Melee DPS. Ranged DPS has always been something that, while I don't mind it, I never find it as fun as Melee. This game is making me feel the love for Ranged DPS.

I know exactly what you mean, but this is also one of the first ARPGs where I've actually really enjoyed ranged characters. (Which definitely got a lot of love from the expansion.)

I don't think there's a single playstyle that's nonviable at this point, though.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
We are streaming> twitch.tv/dahbadu

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Well now, some dude on the official forums managed to use MI's to get Vindictive Flame to 0 cd. As in, infinite fire retaliation. Mix that up with 2x seal of blades, devotions (phoenix?) and either Censure or Veil and you got an auramancer stew going.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I haven't played in a while, dusted this game off for the expansion and for about 25 minutes straight tonight I sat staring drunkenly at a four-way equipment and augment swap to gain like one additional resistance max and not lose any pew-pew power, game owns lol.

OH and I ran scorching fast yawning my way through an Elite full Steps of Torment clear at like level 60, and promptly got two shotted IMMEDIATELY by Alkamos, this also owned.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 29, 2017

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I've been reworking my Reaper and have found that Amarasta's Blade Burst + Bone Harvest is super strong. Both 'affects all attacks while active' effects stack. Melee Necromancers might not suck after all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Alkamos is a fucker.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Am I relying on the +/- DPS tooltip too much or is it normal to be using a lv40 weapon well into the 50s with no upgrades in sight? I'm going for a nightblade/inquisitor thing i found on the official forums

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
At level 40 I crafted a weapon earlier that barely beat out the level 15 axe I'd been using for a very long time, so I'm guessing it can happen. Or perhaps the DPS tooltip isn't all that. :iiam:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Antares posted:

Am I relying on the +/- DPS tooltip too much or is it normal to be using a lv40 weapon well into the 50s with no upgrades in sight? I'm going for a nightblade/inquisitor thing i found on the official forums

I mean, prismatic eviscerator owns bones so go nuts!

Also I've never seen a comprehensive explanation of the DPS thing and I doubt in incorporates %chance to prom off Thing abilities

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The character sheet is absolutely in love with the prismatic eviscerator. It's a good weapon, but it consistently shows ridiculously high sheet DPS that doesn't really reflect what it actually does.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Is swapping your main damage skills to mouse buttons and going to page II an accurate way to see how much damage those skills do and whether a weapon is better than another?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Is swapping your main damage skills to mouse buttons and going to page II an accurate way to see how much damage those skills do and whether a weapon is better than another?

This certainly seems to be more reliable than the DPS meter, yes.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Antares posted:

You have no components in your gear. Put components in your gear. As for the Prismatic Eviscerator, the game seems to over value its DPS quite a bit on your character sheet but it's still a pretty great weapon. Look for weapons that boost your primary damage type. If you are pumping up lightning damage the most, then the Malmouth Greatsword is most definitely an upgrade.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
We are streaming again at https://twitch.tv/dahbadu

Looking to do the xpac secret quest and some final clean up!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So is it just me or is maxed-out Inquisitor's Seal insanely good?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just cleared Bastion of Chaos. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

docbeard posted:

So is it just me or is maxed-out Inquisitor's Seal insanely good?

I believe you're onto something, sir.