Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Rita's mom is scarier than the clown. Good lord.

I forgot to post the top comment!

Oh God, Luann is leaking!

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Bimmi posted:

The thing that pisses me off about Intelligent Life, besides everything about it, is that it is brightly colored and "reads' well at a glance, so unlike the vast majority of strips here that I hate it's like a speed bump for my eyeballs and I always linger on it just long enough to get the gist and that gist is always infuriatingly terrible and please for the love of god just make it stop.
You know how in a movie or tv show when they need to convey that the characters in a scene are playing a video game so you'll see them mashing away at controllers while some crap flies around on a screen and they foley in the sound effects from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man so that you'll say, "Oh... They're playing a video game..."? Intelligent Life is the comic strip equivalent of that. It's so flat and dead it feels like it was assembled with assets from a 5000 CLIP ART IMAGES cd-rom using the ZANY CARTOON PEOPLE folder.*

*Dethany from On the Fast Track

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

treasureplane posted:

Oaky Doaks (July 3, 1935)

OWNS

the bus

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Intelligent Life and Working Daze both try to appeal to nerds by using nerdy references, but those references never get beyond the initial reference. It's like Big Bang Theory, where someone says the name of a comic book character and that's the "joke". And yet people eat it up for some reason; they just hear the thing and actually go "oh man, I know that thing! I know what that is!" and somehow that's enough to make them laugh.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

mastersord posted:

OK. How about kids might be seeing this? I mean it does share a page with other comics, some of which are actually worth reading, right?
I have serious doubts Brooke's strip is in many papers by now. Whatever papers it remains in, it's due to inertia. Perhaps this will get the attention of some letter-writing readers and get him thrown off a few more papers.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Zak graduated college and immediately got a good job, as is what happens most of the time these days.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Ugh get on with whatever is going to happen already.

Apartment 3-G

BC

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The flamethrower. (Kids love it.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

They have a Glinda gown just lying around?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze thinks people care about this.

What the gently caress is this loving poo poo, god damnit

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Bunch of threads ago, but I think maybe this guy was first introduced as one of Rex's patients who was denying it but obviously getting beat up at home. In which case this is a multi-year callback and I have no idea why I even remember it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Now you mention it, I remember the storyline.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Why does Rita's mom have bananas stuck to her face

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Bunch of threads ago, but I think maybe this guy was first introduced as one of Rex's patients who was denying it but obviously getting beat up at home. In which case this is a multi-year callback and I have no idea why I even remember it.

Dude got a nailgun right in the bean. "Accidentally."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus Christ Baldo's dad your son has a job he takes seriously and does well in school let him stay out late you loving nerd simp

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It really aggravates me that Buck's son looks just like Buck, but smaller. Ol' Mini-me lookin rear end.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TofuDiva posted:

According to the Comics Curmudgeon, it was 4 years ago this month!

"Guys, I need to apologize for having not at all covered the current Rex Morgan storyline, which if I had to guess will probably play out as “Sometimes Men Are Also Victims Of Domestic Violence, Like This Guy Rex Went To High School With Whose Wife Tried To Kill Him By ‘Accidentally’ Shooting Him In The Head With A Nail Gun, And Also General Practitioners Are On The Front Line In Spotting Possible Warning Signs Of Abuse.” But of course I couldn’t pass over Rex’s fantastic facial expression in panel three, which is much less “Hmm, wonder how this’ll play out, trying to limit the victim’s social life is a classic abuser move” and more “Ugh, why do they always think we’re friends just because I talk to them in a professional context, I knew I should’ve been a forensic pathologist, you get plenty of peace and quiet down in the morgue.”""

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Intelligent Life and Working Daze both try to appeal to nerds by using nerdy references, but those references never get beyond the initial reference. It's like Big Bang Theory, where someone says the name of a comic book character and that's the "joke". And yet people eat it up for some reason; they just hear the thing and actually go "oh man, I know that thing! I know what that is!" and somehow that's enough to make them laugh.

Someone in one of the TFR let's read threads commented about how lovely patriot fiction would present some really basic gun fact or acronym as something that was only really known to those who were really elite or had special knowledge, it's way to stroke the ego of the reader, "you know this so you are better/more special than those around you" and making it a really basic thing hits more people, so you don't actually want to reference actually obscure stuff since that is counter-productive at a bigger scale. So this is just the same thing just focused on nerds instead of gun nuts/white racist Americans.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

I have serious doubts Brooke's strip is in many papers by now. Whatever papers it remains in, it's due to inertia. Perhaps this will get the attention of some letter-writing readers and get him thrown off a few more papers.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Zak graduated college and immediately got a good job, as is what happens most of the time these days.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

BC

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

Thanks for taking care of these for me, JW! I'm back so I can take these again starting tomorrow.

Also Intelligent Life sucks on an absolutely sickening level that I haven't seen since the Nazi-loving storyline of 9 Chickweed.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Julet Esqu posted:

They have a Glinda gown just lying around?

Probably just a princess gown they're repurposing to be Glinda.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Nancy

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2003 Spiderman

i can't not interpret this as a literal godzilla-sized Hulk looming over the horizon, and it owns

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

amishjosh posted:

Which begs the question: why do they have a princess gown in the first place? It's supposed to be a cafe/art gallery.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

https://i.imgur.com/FY45aYU.jpg <---Full-sized image of the New Yorker cartoon since it's hard to read the top one and I don't want to break tables.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Joining Scott Adams and Wiley Miller, another cartoonist decides to show that in addition to being unable to master regular humor, he's also pretty bad at political humor.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What fresh hell is this?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 23, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 10, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 5, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 6, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 9, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 9, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 4, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 17, 1933)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Look at Fritzi in that last panel. loving look at it. She's not great in that second one either.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

FrumpleOrz posted:

Hagar The Horrible

At first I didn't realize Hagar was pointing at his mouth, and I thought his face was frozen in a state of existential horror as he realized his own memory had betrayed him

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

Joining Scott Adams and Wiley Miller, another cartoonist decides to show that in addition to being unable to master regular humor, he's also pretty bad at political humor.

The gently caress is this?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

The gently caress is this?

"Deflocked", one of the many strips which my paper carries presumably because it is cheap and I nearly always skip over faster than "Hi and Lois."
No idea why I read that one.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amishjosh posted:

Perhaps that was the idea, but Greg just couldn't help himself:

It's totally a Glinda dress.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which begs the question: why do they have a princess gown in the first place? It's supposed to be a cafe/art gallery.

The Fuse has a stage where they could theoretically stage productions, so they probably have a bunch of costumes left over from all those productions in a back room somewhere.

Never mind that the only productions they've staged since opening is a talent show with community volunteers who brought their own clothes and a lingerie party.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set posits the darkest timeline.

Working Daze is still doing this.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is layered.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kazinsal posted:

I don't know what's a worse strip at this point. Intelligent Life or On The Fastrack.

Holbrook's worst offences are a result of him being straight up stuck in 1995, technologically, socially, and politically. Intelligent Life is terrible in premise, horribly written, abhorrently drawn, the execution makes it the Big Bang Theory of comic strips.
Holbrook's comics are very weird, but far less offensive than Intelligent Life.

It's the other way around. A robot is an automaton, an android is an artificial person.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (September 1, 1930)

Peanuts (October 29, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 1-2, 1930)

Thimble Theater (May 19, 1931)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I think the translation server that they ran today's strip through is stuck on literal translation mode.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

no ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane (not an edit)
]
Who even are these people?

• Locked thread