Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm the only one insane enough to remember the Mighty Ducks cartoon (username probably not related) and that was a lot more comedic than I remember. It was basically a hockey-themed TMNT wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm the only one insane enough to remember the Mighty Ducks cartoon (username probably not related) and that was a lot more comedic than I remember. It was basically a hockey-themed TMNT wannabe.

You are not alone, buddy. It's time to rock and roll with Tim Curry.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Schubalts posted:

You are not alone, buddy. It's time to rock and roll with Tim Curry.

Oh, man, that reminds me of the RHPS Saturday morning cartoon. Boy, would that not fly today! Sweet that they got Curry to voice act his own role, the Janet wasn't really all that good.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, man, that reminds me of the RHPS Saturday morning cartoon. Boy, would that not fly today! Sweet that they got Curry to voice act his own role, the Janet wasn't really all that good.

.......what?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I guess this is the defacto "old TV" thread, so anyway: news of Jack Bannon's death broke today, and you've probably never heard of him. He was my favorite member of the ensemble of the great late-70s/early-80s newspaper drama, Lou Grant (one of my favorite shows, even though I only discovered it a few years ago, and definitely one that either aged poorly or really well, depending on the episode and your knowledge of cultural and historical contexts; in any case, the performances were great all around and won a ton of awards, all forgotten now). He lived a good, long life, but I was really fond of him and his character on that show, so the news was sad, regardless.

If you've never watched it, why not check out this two-parter? Episodes that focused on Donovan were rare enough, and so having him at the center of a two-parter was like treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awesiwtJNXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqF8jqtU0R8

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

wait what

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Hamish posted:

.......what?

Come on, you must have seen it! It had that really goofy "Time Warp" cover by Michael Jackson. I used to look forward to the Scooby-Do crossover episode every Halloween, can't believe I liked watching that crap.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is this like the Friends FMV game joke?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun part is that it isn't as nuts as the movies that DID get cartoon spinoffs, including Robocop, Starship Troopers and Little Shop of Horrors. (where Audrey II raps)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

The fun part is that it isn't as nuts as the movies that DID get cartoon spinoffs, including Robocop, Starship Troopers and Little Shop of Horrors. (where Audrey II raps)

In an alternate universe, this actually happened

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mighty Ducks is fine, but if you want to talk about a badass cartoon with Tim Curry that holds up forever and ever...

Mighty Max

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Bloop posted:

Mighty Ducks is fine, but if you want to talk about a badass cartoon with Tim Curry that holds up forever and ever...

Mighty Max

My friend had this:

I don’t think I ever saw the show, but I was really jealous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mighty Max figures owned and I still have almost all of them in a box at my dad's house including the super rad mountain and dragon island ones.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

The first two of those are toyetic as gently caress if you ignore the Verheoven-ness of them, so that really shouldn't shock anyone tbh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, much like Transformers this was a toy line first and a series second.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Mighty Max

The ending of that show surprised me in so far as a) a serialized program intended to sell boy versions of polly pocket had an ending and b) it killed just about everyone and the "positive" part of the ending was Max could sacrifice finally getting home in exchange for reliving every adventure he had ever been on to try and not get everyone killed on his second attempt.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Marx Brothers movies, Garfield and Friends, and Looney Tunes do.

As long as everyone understands that Friends aka US Acres is what holds up.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As long as everyone understands that Friends aka US Acres is what holds up.

I thought about rewatching an episode a few weeks back and was shocked how bad the Garfield portions were.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

The ending of that show surprised me in so far as a) a serialized program intended to sell boy versions of polly pocket had an ending and b) it killed just about everyone and the "positive" part of the ending was Max could sacrifice finally getting home in exchange for reliving every adventure he had ever been on to try and not get everyone killed on his second attempt.

Was it implied that this wasn't his first time around?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Was it implied that this wasn't his first time around?

The time cops from Voyager need to do their loving jobs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
With how much Max jumped through time and space, the Time Patrol probably gave up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nobody wants to make television easily available down under, but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does sound like my jam. I find crazy people to be identifiable protagonists. And hey, it's Yellow Diamond.

I'm reminded of someone saying how the crazy woman in Fatal Attraction was harder to kill than some slasher movie antagonists. Any other particular standout depictions of crazy/vindictive/murderously violent ex-girlfriends that come off as kind of amazingly sexist in retrospect? (Not that you don't get that in real life all too often, but thinking more where they're depicted as a genre of horror movie monster)

Carrie Fisher in Blues Brothers. I don't think Jake is supposed to be the good guy in that situation, but her pain was still played for laughs. In retrospect her reaction seems warranted except maybe for blowing up the flophouse. I hope that one guy got to enjoy his cheese whiz.

I think almost all depictions of crazy ex-girlfriends from the 1980's are sexist in retrospect. It was a good decade for man-child misogyny.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

lemon-lyme disease posted:

My friend had this:

I don’t think I ever saw the show, but I was really jealous.

I had that, AND the big mountain... Never knew it had a show to go with it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Carrie Fisher in Blues Brothers. I don't think Jake is supposed to be the good guy in that situation, but her pain was still played for laughs. In retrospect her reaction seems warranted except maybe for blowing up the flophouse. I hope that one guy got to enjoy his cheese whiz.

I think almost all depictions of crazy ex-girlfriends from the 1980's are sexist in retrospect. It was a good decade for man-child misogyny.

The point you're making is not necessarily incorrect, and yeah, Jake was definitely a creep (but he was our creep, c.f. pretty much the entire Belushi oeuvre), but everyone in The Blues Brothers was pretty much insane and unreasonable. That's most of the fun of it.

Still, I don't think "crazy ex-girlfriends" is always and forever a misogynist, sneering "bitches be crazy" thing. The way being jilted makes one bonkers has been a staple of comedy pretty much since they started making the stuff.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Blues Brothers also disobey traffic laws

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

talk about a microaggression!!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

second that, Mighty Max was really good for a kids toy based show. And years later when I finished a popular 7 book fantasy series *MAJOR spoilers!* The Dark Tower I was like huh, that's basically the same ending as mighty max.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

The point you're making is not necessarily incorrect, and yeah, Jake was definitely a creep (but he was our creep, c.f. pretty much the entire Belushi oeuvre), but everyone in The Blues Brothers was pretty much insane and unreasonable. That's most of the fun of it.

Elwood Blues was about the most level-headed and reasonable person ever.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They were on a mission.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Oct 28, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was actually thinking of the movie "Blind Date" where Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger are stalked through the film by her ex-boyfriend/fiancee. About 95% of the time, though, I think he's just coming off as a self-perceived 'nice guy' who insists he's just trying to protect Basinger, while he still comes off like a total creep who can't accept she's through with him. At the same time, it seems like all his actual overt threats, anger and violence are turned exclusively towards Willis.

Been so long since I've seen the film, but rewatching a clip on Youtube, Basinger's character makes a comment along the lines of, "He always following me, I've moved twice to get away from him" and the whole thing is played for laughs. In 2017 I'm sure that it'd be a more questionable to use something like that for a joke.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Elwood Blues was about the most level-headed and reasonable person ever.

I love Elwood very, very much

see my post in the Unpopular Opinion thread

but the man isn't right in the head.

--rupi kaur

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I love Elwood very, very much

see my post in the Unpopular Opinion thread

but the man isn't right in the head.

--rupi kaur

Help the threads are crossing. Someone give me the emergency gelatin mold.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arivia posted:

Help the threads are crossing. Someone give me the emergency gelatin mold.

you are now playing Doki Doki Post Your Favorite Club

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

you are now playing Doki Doki Post Your Favorite Club

Oh man, that game. Do not just mash through the "hey maybe think twice about playing this if you have clinical depression" warning. It's there for a reason.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

VodeAndreas posted:

I had that, AND the big mountain... Never knew it had a show to go with it.

He had the mountain-thing too, but I never cared about that because it wasn’t a sick rock monster.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
The full series of Mighty Max was one of the first childhood-nostalgia shows I torrented when I expanded my storage space, that show was the tits and had some legit good voice acting for an early 90s toy commercial

re: Tim Curry vehicles of the early 90s though, Peter Pan and the Pirates caught some piece of my brain in about 1991 that never let go, I wrote an anthology of fanfiction for it when I was 11 and added the show to the overarching Peter Pan canon that I love so much. It was a godawful show objectively but it was one of those early 90s things that stuck with me. See also: seaQuest (things that haven't aged well: Ted Raimi, Ted Raimi's ability to get work that his brother isn't involved in)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheKennedys posted:

See also: seaQuest (things that haven't aged well: Ted Raimi, Ted Raimi's ability to get work that his brother isn't involved in)

Talking about shows that went off the rails...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Talking about shows that went off the rails...

There are no rails in the ocean.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was actually thinking of the movie "Blind Date" where Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger are stalked through the film by her ex-boyfriend/fiancee. About 95% of the time, though, I think he's just coming off as a self-perceived 'nice guy' who insists he's just trying to protect Basinger, while he still comes off like a total creep who can't accept she's through with him. At the same time, it seems like all his actual overt threats, anger and violence are turned exclusively towards Willis.

Been so long since I've seen the film, but rewatching a clip on Youtube, Basinger's character makes a comment along the lines of, "He always following me, I've moved twice to get away from him" and the whole thing is played for laughs. In 2017 I'm sure that it'd be a more questionable to use something like that for a joke.

There is an episode of Two and a Half Men where Jon Cryer's girlfriend is pursued to a restaurant by her ex-husband and the whole thing is just a comedic game of one-man-upmanship between Jon Cryer and his girlfriend's stalker (she makes some comment about how this behaviour has got to stop but this is quickly silenced).

It reminded me of the lazy dialogue in Problem Child 3 where the current partner and ex are quite literally sack racing for the woman's affections, despite her protestations that "[I'm] not a prize to be won!"

What I'm trying to say is, proving bravado against your partner's ex is not as essential when you, y'know, ask your partner how they actually feel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

That show actually prompted me to buy one of the playstation games. 2 maybe? It was pretty fun trying every single CD in the house until I ran out and still hadn’t generated that many legitimately cool monsters.
Wait, so there's a game that generates different monsters based, somehow, on what audio CDs you put into the console? How does that work?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Unrelatedly, it always annoys me that the movie is called Beetlejuice instead of Betelgeuse. There's even a joke in the film about his name being spelled that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so there's a game that generates different monsters based, somehow, on what audio CDs you put into the console? How does that work?

RNG based on data on the CD iirc, something based on the metadata, but there were some unique monsters you could generate from certain CDs/DVDs. Off the top of my head, you got a unique owl thing in MR 4 if you put in a harry potter DVD.