Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The incredibly stilted way Yuri days is fantasticly creepy. It's not even full animation, her body hardly moves when she stabs herself, and she just sort of slips under the screen when she falls. In most other games it'd be ridiculous, but the story has done such a good job building up the uncanniness and tense atmosphere that it works really well.

The way the poster in the background vanishes right before she does it is a nice touch as well. It gives a brief "the wierdness is about to subside" moment before things go full-crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Monika moni
ka monika monika
monika moni

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are the other characters gone from the data folder, like Sayori was?

...and did she delete the sky?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

someone awful. posted:

but then you're stuck. waiting. for two and a half days. i didn't even know if there was another scene after this, or if i was supposed to skip through the text or what. sitting there with this slowly decaying corpse of this weird girl, with creepy gibberish text repeating endlessly for an unknown amount of time, was really effectively desolate.

When I played through this, the bit that creeped me out the most was not having any clue if clicking through the text was even doing anything. Then I thought of hitting skip, and it just kept going, and I'm like... am I supposed to close the game now, maybe? Am I totally stuck? What do I do? Then it changed to sunset and night, so okay, something's happening... but then it went back to daytime again. And I wasn't exactly thinking about how this was supposed to be the weekend event anymore.

I ended up just leaving it scrolling in the background while I checked the forums or something else, then looked back to see her sprite had at least changed, but yeah this scene was creepy in a really great way.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

When I played through this, the bit that creeped me out the most was not having any clue if clicking through the text was even doing anything. Then I thought of hitting skip, and it just kept going, and I'm like... am I supposed to close the game now, maybe? Am I totally stuck? What do I do? Then it changed to sunset and night, so okay, something's happening... but then it went back to daytime again. And I wasn't exactly thinking about how this was supposed to be the weekend event anymore.

I ended up just leaving it scrolling in the background while I checked the forums or something else, then looked back to see her sprite had at least changed, but yeah this scene was creepy in a really great way.

yeah, exactly! One of the faults of experiencing this game through the LP is that you don't get hit with that sudden confusion. I was like, "what the gently caress? Is this the end of the game? that's horrible/hilarious/stupid/amazing, if it is." There's really no sign, other than the fact that the lighting changes and time passes, that there's any scenes beyond a dead girl glitching text ad nauseam. It's intensely weird.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I tried out a bunch of things, then shut down the game. When I next restarted it Natsuki started screaming and puking at me, it was really weirdhorrible :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

Look, I'm this close to freaking out without Monika trying to address us, the people reading this LP.

I might need therapy after this.

Makes me think of the premise behind Reboot. That show still makes me feel twinges of guilt for my video game exploits.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Glazius posted:

Are the other characters gone from the data folder, like Sayori was?

...and did she delete the sky?

They are and she did, yes.

someone awful. posted:

yeah, exactly! One of the faults of experiencing this game through the LP is that you don't get hit with that sudden confusion. I was like, "what the gently caress? Is this the end of the game? that's horrible/hilarious/stupid/amazing, if it is." There's really no sign, other than the fact that the lighting changes and time passes, that there's any scenes beyond a dead girl glitching text ad nauseam. It's intensely weird.

Yuri does noticeably decay (*shudder*), you can tell by her eyes going grayer and grayer as the days pass.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not just her eyes. Her skin loses color and the blood turns black.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also, her cheeks get sunken.

Thinking back to how likable Yuri was at first makes it fantastically unpleasant. I've never had a video game make me feel physically uncomfortable before.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 29, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i was including that in the umbrella of "time passing" because it's gross :gonk:

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I hit this part and tried to load a recent save, hoping maybe I could fix things, try another way. Nope, back to Yuri's corpse. Quitting and reopening? Yuri's corpse. You can't even go to the main menu - the girls start to come up from the bottom, and then it cuts back to this scene. Sometimes the time of day changes, but that's it. There's no way out of this except watching it all.

It was sufficiently horrifying.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I didn't notice that the skip function came active. I just kept hitting LMB and spacebar until the first color change, and then I assumed progress was happening and so I kept hitting them out of stubbornness until the weekend ended. It was almost more of a shock when it ended (I forgot the weekend bit too) than it was when it happened.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Do you ever think back and remember the time that the main character called Yuri "cute" for second-guessing herself a lot, way back in the first run, and then get a bit skeeved, but in a "good" way? Like the slight off-ness of the main character having Stock VN Dude dialogue while the girls have very intense and real dialogue about what's going on with them and it's made more obvious as the game goes on, but little things like that pop up at you in hindsight, like the Sayori and the cookie bit.

Especially after this. :stonk:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That makes me think that we're not real and that our existent is contingent on Monika's. Please don't seed my soft brain with such horrible thoughts.

:psyduck:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Are... Are we a real person, or another character.dat?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I can't go to sleep. This game is affecting me worse than I thought. Probably has something to do with Monika not behaving like a good little NPC should, or Sayori loving hanging herself after having a super bad depressive episode, or us watching Yuri stab herself to death in some hosed up sexual suicidal glee and then spend the weekend doing nothing but watch her corpse decompose.

I really want to get off Literature Club's wild ride. Like, I want to follow the game, but I'm legit having a difficult time reading through these updates.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love anime!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

I can't go to sleep. This game is affecting me worse than I thought. Probably has something to do with Monika not behaving like a good little NPC should, or Sayori loving hanging herself after having a super bad depressive episode, or us watching Yuri stab herself to death in some hosed up sexual suicidal glee and then spend the weekend doing nothing but watch her corpse decompose.

I really want to get off Literature Club's wild ride. Like, I want to follow the game, but I'm legit having a difficult time reading through these updates.

Unironically: please take care of yourself, fellow poster :love:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

You are going to be okay even if this wild ride doesn't end happily ever after. Take a break for a bit and let the anxieties this game provokes recede.

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Rest.

Personally, I can't really play horror games, even goofy ones. Imagine my shock when I received a game called the cat lady and it wasn't like neko atsume at all.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If it helps, I haven't been able to get this game out of my head either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You are going to be okay even if this wild ride doesn't end happily ever after. Take a break for a bit and let the anxieties this game provokes recede.

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Rest.

Personally, I can't really play horror games, even goofy ones. Imagine my shock when I received a game called the cat lady and it wasn't like neko atsume at all.

Whoever got you to play The Cat Lady blind is a cruel and sadistic bastard :munch:.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

bman in 2288 posted:

You definitely should not read the last update of the thread, then.

We've still got a bit to go before then but just, when I say it's time for kind-hearted people to leave, that's your ticket to exit.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm saying this as someone who's been there, so with that in mind

-get off this website. Put in an extension to block it if you have to
-go do something else that lets you get into a groove but doesn't take up a ton of attention. Play a game that you've played over and over, clean your house, go to work, brush your cat or dog and play with them if you have one.
-for sleeping, turn on some kind of white noise (a fan, rain sounds on youtube, whatever), and when you're going to sleep, focus on the noise. If graphic images start coming up, just go back to the noise.
-do this for as long as it takes, but I'd give it a week. If you feel like you can come back to this (be honest about it), then do so. If you can't and still want to know what happens, read a synopsis.

someone awful. posted:

Unironically: please take care of yourself, fellow poster :love:

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I guess it's a testament to how good the psychological horror element is. I mean, it's making people who aren't even PLAYING the game become all anxious.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I think I found a temporary fix: playing the MGR soundtrack at loud volumes is working. On the other hand, I still can't go to sleep. But at least it's for a different reason, now.

I know that this game can't hurt me. It's just, this game hits close to home sometimes (a lot), but I'm a different person than I used to be, when those "close to home" moments were a lot more relevant. It's just completely loving horrifying to see that used as a gateway to the world falling apart around us, when sometimes, it used to feel like that for me.

I'm going to see this through. This is a good LP and some great source material, and this is what I want.

I mean, I also want to go to sleep, but good horror has its price, I guess. That, and buttrock.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The price of buttrock is truly steep.

And yes, experiencing the cat lady blind was uh unpleasant. I realized what I was in for pretty quickly, but, you know how it is, I tried to be game and play along. I don't even know if I got past the tunnel in the intro.

The anxious among us have a particularly fraught relationship with dread. With antici... pation. Whether through biology or conditioning, the sensation is always there, lurking; it's the phantom stench that taints the otherwise mundane.

Horror gives everyone a taste not just of disaster or supernatural terror, but also this specific experience. The establishment of the setting, specifically the look at the protagonist's every day life, is the very beginning of dread. You know something terrible lurks out of sight. You catch a whiff of blood and decay. You glimpse something grotesque in an otherwise innocent picture. Someone says something that isn't quite right.

You can't put your finger on it at first, but it's there, and it's coming for you.

If you're aware of that anxiety, then you soon realize that all of your perceptions may be questionable. Maybe you don't actually know the rules as well as you think you do.

Maybe it's just Monika.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Roar posted:

You definitely should not read the last update of the thread, then.

We've still got a bit to go before then but just, when I say it's time for kind-hearted people to leave, that's your ticket to exit.
Well, that's yet another horrifying post. :stonk:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I had never heard of the Cat Lady before. I see it's in the archive, so I'll check it out... eventually. In a well-lit room during daylight. When I know people are in the house. Maybe after this LP.

I MADE GOOD DECISIONS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bman in 2288 posted:

I had never heard of the Cat Lady before. I see it's in the archive, so I'll check it out... eventually. In a well-lit room during daylight. When I know people are in the house. Maybe after this LP.

I MADE GOOD DECISIONS.

In all seriousness; do not do that. The Cat Lady is a miserable experience, and I say that as a complement.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In all seriousness; do not do that. The Cat Lady is a miserable experience, and I say that as a complement.

This is the truth.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, you know how Sayori got a little too real?

The Cat Lady is worse.

It's good story-telling, but it's so much worse.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Well, at least we know Natsuki ate breakfast today.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
That's...a surprisingly positive way to spin things. And yet, it's still all sorts of horrible.

Oh God, is the Cat Lady worse than this?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

bman in 2288 posted:

That's...a surprisingly positive way to spin things. And yet, it's still all sorts of horrible.

Oh God, is the Cat Lady worse than this?

In the crippling depression and other violent "fun" things way.

Yes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So far?

Yes.

Will that change? I don't know. Haven't seen all that the literature club has to offer.

But if you're really shaken by how this game has gone so far, please don't torment yourself with the cat lady.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Oh my God, I just wanted to come up with cute poems and write our way into their hearts, what the Christ :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The doki doki doesn't come from our heart beating fast out of love... The doki doki comes from horror movie adrenaline.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
I like how Monika explained to us that Yuri's cutting WASN'T a depression thing, like, we might feel bad for her like ANOTHER depressed character who's name escapes me. Nope, she does it for the HIGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

coolusername posted:

The doki doki doesn't come from our heart beating fast out of love... The doki doki comes from horror movie adrenaline.

Honestly? I prefer jump scares to this poo poo. At least jump scares end. And are short. And are usually bad.

Jesus, I haven't been this high strung since SOMA.

• Locked thread