Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is martian manhunter :gay: or what
I've only seen him in robot chicken so i have no idea wtf he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

got any sevens posted:

I've only seen him in robot chicken so i have no idea wtf he is

He is a martian. The guy is a shapeshifter so he is not really limited to one sex if he wanted.

Also in minor news Levi posted his statment on being casted for Shazam.

quote:

Honored and greatly humbled to be a part of the #dcuniverse by bringing the original Captain Marvel to life. I am beside myself with gratitude, not only for this opportunity, but also the incredible outpouring of love and support from so many of you out there in the world. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be in the gym for the rest of forever.

Appearntly the guy is currently doing 4 hour workouts to get in shape for the role.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Martian Manhunter's kinda like Captain Marvel, in that he's popular with DC comic readers and has a grand, illustrious fictional history, but everything about the character from his name (Manhunter, baby), to his origin (trapped on earth due to the impossibility of returning... to Mars!) to his supporting cast (???) is hard to explain and difficult to portray. They had a good punt at him in the Justice League cartoon, but even there he got shuffled off the main cast and eventually written out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

got any sevens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWn5wO0ItCY&t=95s

josh04 posted:

Martian Manhunter's kinda like Captain Marvel, in that he's popular with DC comic readers and has a grand, illustrious fictional history, but everything about the character from his name (Manhunter, baby), to his origin (trapped on earth due to the impossibility of returning... to Mars!) to his supporting cast (???) is hard to explain and difficult to portray. They had a good punt at him in the Justice League cartoon, but even there he got shuffled off the main cast and eventually written out.

He comes from a society where "white people" are literally scary monsters.

He did adopt one as a daughter, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Martian Manhunter is like Justice League Dad who is always around and you love him because he's dad and he's always the one who gives you good advice and makes you feel ashamed in a way that makes you better yourself but he'll embarrass you in front of your friends.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
MM is a great soulful character. One of the better arcs with him though was a while back featuring the White Martians and then Burning Martian.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

josh04 posted:

Yeah, the problem with MM is that he's basically Superman. The only major differences between the two are either really confusing or just weird (like MM being weak to fire).

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The MSJ posted:

He comes from a society where "white people" are literally scary monsters.

He did adopt one as a daughter, though.

That analogy would hold more water if the green martians weren't typically depicted as a race of unsullied enlightenment philosopher types.

Ms Manhunter is actually a much easier character to work with, because fish-out-of-water teen is always solid ground to stand on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, the problem with MM is that he's basically Superman. The only major differences between the two are either really confusing or just weird (like MM being weak to fire).

Telepathy and shapeshifting are pretty huge differences.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spacebump posted:

And other general Psychic powers. Along with phasing.

Honestly I don't know I ton about MM. But like many people say including in universe. The Justice League just does not feel like the Justice League without him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well yeah. I don't know if its still the case but for a long time there Manhunter was the one guy who was always in the league, which is how he kind of established that "dad" idea because he was always the vet who did it with Superman and Wonder Woman who was advising the new generations.

I have no idea if they abandoned that eventually. I think when they rebuilt the "pantheon of the gods" League they shuffled him off to weird strike ops stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spacebump posted:

They're also weird, though. Like, on their own, they're fair powers, but when merged into the flying-brick powerset, it kind of feels similar to Supes having super-ventriloquism and super-hypnosis and the ability to trap people in the S symbol.

(Also, looking up specific bonkers powers Supes has had led me to the knowledge that he used to be telepathic and have shapeshifting powers, too.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Justice League used him well as a mix of 'the outsider' (given he's the only proper alien on the team who isn't really at home on Earth, compared to Superman being raised there and Hawgirl... well, she's another story) and basically the team's psychic, since DC is actually pretty scarce on heroic characters with pstandard psychic powers. That and the shapeshifting and phasing, his strength tends to be more 'Oh yeah, he can do that too'. He's the tricksy one. The cartoon also differentiated him by having him be the last Martian, the rest being extinct. (Comparisons to Superman were indeed brought up)

But yeah, endearingly dorky does often describe him, especially with the Oreo addiction. And often issues with dealing with humanity when he can read their minds. (Young Justice had an amusing episode where Black Canary appears to be having an affair with Superboy; it's actually his girlfriend Miss Martian, who doesn't get that it could come off wrong to observers who can't read minds)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inescapable Duck posted:

(Young Justice had an amusing episode where Black Canary appears to be having an affair with Superboy; it's actually his girlfriend Miss Martian, who doesn't get that it could come off wrong to observers who can't read minds)

It was revealed right away that it was not actually Canary resulting in Oliver bursting out laughing. Before Canary made him stop. So it was not a huge point of contention.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Still kinda hosed up if it was Superboy's idea. "Hey baby will you dress up as this person we both know while we fucc? Ya know, our teacher?"

"Sure thing!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness he's a clone who came to sentiency in his teens so he was never going to navigate the whole "girlfriend can turn into any woman in the world and she's cool with it" challenge well.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Justice League used him well as a mix of 'the outsider' (given he's the only proper alien on the team who isn't really at home on Earth, compared to Superman being raised there and Hawgirl... well, she's another story) and basically the team's psychic, since DC is actually pretty scarce on heroic characters with pstandard psychic powers. That and the shapeshifting and phasing, his strength tends to be more 'Oh yeah, he can do that too'. He's the tricksy one. The cartoon also differentiated him by having him be the last Martian, the rest being extinct. (Comparisons to Superman were indeed brought up)
And yet for how OP MM is there is a pretty long supercut of him getting electrocuted and groaning and fainting since the writers clearly didn't know how to write around the fact that MM could solve everything.

One of my favorite JL episodes has to be the christmas episode where Clark takes him for Christmas Dinner with the Kents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZV4EL5wjC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcT_A0H_SFc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924327546166042624
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924327986324578305
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924328204487163904
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924328599557046274
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924328884887158784
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924329119592017920
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/924329419694424064

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NOT MY JAMES GUNN

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shazam is the Wizard. Billy Batson is Shazam's Monster.

I will be calling the Captain Marvel movie from Disney "Marvel's Captain Marvel," I don't care how pedantic it is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Marvel dropped the ball and now Frank Vincent is dead. There will never be a Billy Batts movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thor Ragnarok had some interestingly subversive moments. 'Don't call them slaves, I don't like that word.' '...the prisoners with jobs are escaping.'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Thor Ragnarok had some interestingly subversive moments. 'Don't call them slaves, I don't like that word.' '...the prisoners with jobs are escaping.'

what's being subverted there?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

what's being subverted there?

The American prison industrial complex. You guys have spent the last 30 years re-inventing slavery.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

30 years? It was one of the first things they came up with during Reconstruction to literally put the slaves back on the cotton fields.

Also possibly related, the revelation that the shining kingdom and benevolent peacekeeping power of Asgard over the nine realms was built on brutal, murderous conquest by Odin and his daughter, whom he banished when he didn't need her any more and raised his sons in ignorance of where their power had come from in the first place. Also he sent the entire elite female military force of Asgard to get massacred by her before heaving to deal with her himself might have some relevancy too.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 29, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

30 years? It was one of the first things they came up with during Reconstruction to literally put the slaves back on the cotton fields.

At least before Reagan it could be argued that the US was not intentionally trying to trap its citizens in prisons for profit even if the policies beforehand were also incredibly unethical. :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MiddleOne posted:

At least before Reagan it could be argued that the US was not intentionally trying to trap its citizens in prisons for profit even if the policies beforehand were also incredibly unethical. :v:

Oh man, you are in for a loving trip when someone tells you about the war on drugs

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Seriously. Shits baked into the constitution, there's a reason DuVernay named the documentary after the amendment.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thor Ragnarok was an absolute blast. One of the few Marvel movies to succeed with such a high ratio of jokes. Nothing that really made me laugh, though. Despite Taika Waititi's directing, it's still like every joke has to be announced, nothing catches you off guard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Oh man, you are in for a loving trip when someone tells you about the war on drugs

What did you think I was referring to :raise:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

What a weenie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MiddleOne posted:

The War on Drugs predates Reagan by over a decade and is built on the bones of policies that existed long before that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

You don't seem to understand that this country has held slaves by another name since chattel slavery was abolished. Why do you think ex-cons can't vote?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
MArtian Manhunter always kind of reminded me of Silver Surfer. He's an interesting character but for some reason is really hard to write.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

What a weenie.

James Gunn owns and he's tired of this dumb bullshit

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just don't tag unrelated people in twitter arguments, come on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ahaha. I like BVS even more now. I had no idea people were going to the mattresses over it on Twitter.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
BVS is world-shattering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Spiderman: Homecoming literally Does Everything Right and no one gives a poo poo about it 3 months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Spiderman: Homecoming literally Does Everything Right and no one gives a poo poo about it 3 months later.

It's just a bland retread of the Raimi movies.

I'm not super shocked

• Locked thread