Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What you've presented is just a tautology where conscious experience exists, continuously, so long as the experience of consciousness is continuously existing.

I am taking into account such as the non-conscious 'proto-self', which precedes the occurrence of the core and extended/autobiographical levels of consciousness.

*fart noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I mean how good physicalists account for consciousness and phenomenal experience is interesting, but lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just saw it.

Holy poo poo the cinematography. The visuals were astounding. The sound too! It really captured just how irritating a city like that would be, and the baseline tests were appropriately unnerving interlock.

Sylvia Hoek was amazing. Absolutely fierce. The underwater growling....:mrgw:

I might see it again at the Arclight dome just for the visuals alone. It would be so worth it.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Snak posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Well obviously they didn't use the original actress because she doesn't look like that anymore or is dead. I don't think anyone would disagree that their use of a different actress resulted in an uncanny valley discomfort. They also showed her face just a few shots earlier, compounding the effect. Assuming that not showing her face or using computers to create a more convincing representation were on they table (which I don't think is unreasonable to assume), this means they did it deliberately.

It might not have been deliberate, ofc, its just speculation.

Telephones fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 29, 2017

zygnal
Dec 1, 2006
Never
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Sylvia Hoek was amazing. Absolutely fierce.

One thing I found fascinating about her performance was the way
she sort "sang" her lines when interrogating Joshi.

I suppose it was somewhat like her tears in showing her underlying emotional
state, still not sure how to read all that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Telephones posted:

Well obviously they didn't use the original actress because she doesn't look like that anymore or is dead. I don't think anyone would disagree that their use of a different actress resulted in an uncanny valley discomfort. They also showed her face just a few shots earlier, compounding the effect. Assuming that not showing her face or using computers to create a more convincing representation were on they table (which I don't think is unreasonable to assume), this means they did it deliberately.

They used a different actress, but the head was entirely cg.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

zygnal posted:

One thing I found fascinating about her performance was the way
she sort "sang" her lines when interrogating Joshi.

I suppose it was somewhat like her tears in showing her underlying emotional
state, still not sure how to read all that.

I liked the way the “where is he” line sounded almost like it was specifically like a robot screaming it. Like if Siri was done loving around.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hand Knit posted:

I mean how good physicalists account for consciousness and phenomenal experience is interesting, but lmao

Is there something I am missing here?

My post is referring to Antonio Damasio’s theory of consciousness, where the organism first, non-consciously, forms a ‘map’ of its neural patterns in order to maintain its homeostasis against outside disturbances. “Core consciousness” then emerges as a second-order account of how it feels to be an individual organism experiencing disturbance. (Zizek complicates this a lot, of course, arguing that the two levels sort-of collapse into each other, and so-on, but that’s a whole other tangent).

The point is that Xealot dismisses the non-conscious experience of being alive as unimportant for some reason, even though we are shown in the film that this is how Joi ‘works’: Joseph’s cellular phone is always on, always passively scanning the environment (so that even individual raindrops that fall within its range are recorded). The phone is always on, always alive. Joi - the symbolic identity of the cellular phone - exists inside of a symbolic universe generated by (and to make sense of) this raw experience.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Telephones posted:

You should probably read this:

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/mpc-replicating-rachael-in-blade-runner-2049/

Also lol at saying Sean Young might be dead. She's given a supporting actor's credit in the film!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Daaamn that was good. The screening we went to finished around midnight and I'm still :gizz: from my eyeballs. Every frame a painting would even exaggerate it. My fried reserved the tickets and unfortunately we were so far back and so high that it was above the screen level so that wasn't even the best possible audiovisual experience.

But that's of course just one level, but it totally delivered everything I could've hoped for in a Blade Runner sequel and more. I think a few shots could've been trimmed down a bit and some story elements adjusted (like the blackout, or the "was Rachael a plant" retcon) but overall it's a very impressive piece of film making. Two crushed thumbs up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Rachel a Replicant retcon? She was always a Replicant. There was no ambiguity there in either films. Also the presence of the blackout is kind of integral to the state of the film's world.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No, not that she's a replicant, that's clear, but that she was deliberately created and placed to bone Deckard. I realize the blackout is important for the state as portrayed but it felt a bit too convenient though I din't mind it too much either.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

No, not that she's a replicant, that's clear, but that she was deliberately created and placed to bone Deckard. I realize the blackout is important for the state as portrayed but it felt a bit too convenient though I din't mind it too much either.
Wallace might have been making that up to manipulate Deckard.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I was reading this Guardian article about biohackers and the last one reminded me a whole lot of Niander Wallace and his blind but not blind situation.

quote:

Christian Zöllner, Eyesect helmet
Zöllner is part of Berlin-based design collective the Constitute, which runs immersive, homemade sensory experiments. Eyesect is a helmet with mounted cameras that lets you “see” the world as other species would.

Because your eye has been in the same position on your head since before you were born, you’re connected to your environment in a particular way. All the motion of your muscles is dictated by that visual field. When you tinker with that some people get dizzy, fall over or even faint because the disruption is so intense. We’ve experimented with the micro-cameras that you put inside your body for certain medical procedures, and for a low budget it was really stunning.

Everyone reacts differently. It is like acid without acid, your whole physical situation is suddenly not safe any more. You can’t walk in a straight line but you can concentrate on what you are experiencing. We started out trying to create the visual experience of a chameleon, but the most successful is the eyesect vision of a horse. Experiencing having eyes on the side of your head is very alien – but fun to explore.”

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Is there something I am missing here?

Oh dear, yes.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
is it just me or does the guy who plays Tyrell also play Lloyd in The Shining?

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

is it just me or does the guy who plays Tyrell also play Lloyd in The Shining?

Ridley meeting him on the set of The Shining is what got him the part.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How is there not an art book with all of Syd Mead's BR work?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

How is there not an art book with all of Syd Mead's BR work?

I think it's sprinkled across his other books. I have one signed by him that has a chapter on blade runner but hell if I know where it is now.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 30, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Arkhams Razor posted:

Ridley meeting him on the set of The Shining is what got him the part.

:stare:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Young Rachel CGI is what prevents this film from being a masterpiece. I still can't believe the screenwriter and director couldn't come up with a way to write around something so bizarre like that.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

viral spiral posted:

Young Rachel CGI is what prevents this film from being a masterpiece. I still can't believe the screenwriter and director couldn't come up with a way to write around something so bizarre like that.

In the same way that the wires visibly holding spinners up in the theatrical/directors cuts of the original prevented it from being a masterpiece, sure

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ersatz posted:

Wallace might have been making that up to manipulate Deckard.

Yeah. Wallace is just speculating and talking poo poo; a big part of his character is that for all his self-satisfied bluster Tyrell achieved something he can't - producing a replicant that can give birth - decades before him. He's basically idly musing about what the only person more godlike than him in his mind might've been capable of.

At the end of those lines, he even reintroduces the question of whether Deckard's a replicant at all. I legitimately think he may not be any more certain than the audience is ever supposed to be.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I'll say Rachel CGI did not work at all for me.

Do those look like the same woman to you, or does the first one look too much like the stand-in actress was CGI'd?

Sean Young was a rare beast, and CGI (in motion, speaking) just isn't good enough for such an iconic face yet.

viral spiral posted:

It might have worked even better if they were just playing the sound files and had a Big Purple JOI-like hologram of her. Could have lifted all her frames directly from the original film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Maybe some of you are seeing some flaw I don't see, because that looks like Sean Young to me.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the eye movement was bad but that was basically it i think

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen the film twice and it's worked fine for me, especially in context of the fact that Deckard rejects the replicant.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wild Horses posted:

the eye movement was bad but that was basically it i think

The eyes were definitely the uncanny valley bit, but in general it was way better than Tarkin from Rogue One. Probably not an apt comparison since Rachel get less screen-time, less lines and benefits from the lighting of the room (and the lack thereof).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Rachael clone is supposed to be subtly off and unnerving. The entire sequence is meant to highlight Wallace's inability to understand humanity.

He recreates a person, but not the subtleties and details that made her her. He expects Deckard to fall in love with a ghoulish Halloween mask of his dead lover and is forced to recalibrate when that plan fails.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mierenneuker posted:

The eyes were definitely the uncanny valley bit, but in general it was way better than Tarkin from Rogue One. Probably not an apt comparison since Rachel get less screen-time, less lines and benefits from the lighting of the room (and the lack thereof).

QuoProQuid posted:

The Rachael clone is supposed to be subtly off and unnerving. The entire sequence is meant to highlight Wallace's inability to understand humanity.

He recreates a person, but not the subtleties and details that made her her. He expects Deckard to fall in love with a ghoulish Halloween mask of his dead lover and is forced to recalibrate when that plan fails.

it works in the sense that it helps us feel the same dread and weird butterfly feeling that deckard does

i think its ok anyway

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

QuoProQuid posted:

True, but they didn't manage to make it look like a 'failed' replicant. Instead it's another bad CG experiment that shouldn't have been in the movie, like Tarkin in RO.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Renoistic posted:

True, but they didn't manage to make it look like a 'failed' replicant. Instead it's another bad CG experiment that shouldn't have been in the movie, like Tarkin in RO.

Regardless of your opinion on the quality of the experiment, the craft doesn't get pushed forward unless you actually try.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I was creeped out by that scene, but I don't think that reaction had anything to do with the effects, which were convincing to me. Wallace was doing some really horrendous poo poo there.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ersatz posted:

I was creeped out by that scene, but I don't think that reaction had anything to do with the effects, which were convincing to me. Wallace was doing some really horrendous poo poo there.

It kind of worked until it spoke and the face moved in a really unnatural way.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Renoistic posted:

I don't think that we are saying incompatible things. The fact that the illusion is shattered at all suggests that Fake Rachael is a failed replicant. Her CGI makes her both an almost perfect copy and something alien. The scene itself doesn't pretend that the Fake Rachael is anything but horrific. ("Her eyes were green.")

I can understand your objections as a matter of personal taste, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the neat thing about that scene is it works whether or not you're convinced by Rachel.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 31, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Serf posted:

Regardless of your opinion on the quality of the experiment, the craft doesn't get pushed forward unless you actually try.

Very true, look how far they've come from not-Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy. Or since the late Oliver Reed in Gladiator.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 31, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Very true, look how far they've come from not-Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy. Or since the late Oliver Reed in Gladiator.

I would have also accepted Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in X-Men 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Serf posted:

I would have also accepted Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in X-Men 3.

Let's not accept anything about X-men 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

...oh yes, do tell us about the craft of CGI'ing young/deceased actors and why we should pursue it.

:psyduck:

• Locked thread