Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

scott frost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Alaois posted:

scott frost

I don't think he's leaving :-/

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

yeah totally why would the university want to save millions of dollars? it's not like it would keep the boosters happy or anything.

Why do the fans care? They're gonna fire him anyways and on the margin dicking over your coach over their buyout will harm finding the next coach.

I just find it weird that the fans seem to be happy that Florida's trying to screw over McElwain when they bear none of the cost

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/924307368191635457

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Adun posted:

Why do the fans care? They're gonna fire him anyways and on the margin dicking over your coach over their buyout will harm finding the next coach.

I just find it weird that the fans seem to be happy that Florida's trying to screw over McElwain when they bear none of the cost

Dicking over the coach?

Have you been following this story? :confused:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Looking at mcelwain recently it's been clear since the shark thing that the job, or at least part of it, is wearing on him. He was probably the most laid back HC in memory before this year but since he had to go on record for something that stupid he's seemed miserable.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Adun posted:

Lol what?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Dicking over the coach?

Have you been following this story? :confused:

Don’t hate the player hate the game.

I mean the whole ''making up death threats' thing seems flimsy as hell. Gonna be hilarious in 5 years when McElwain finally wins the lawsuit and UF is stuck paying his full buyout and the buyout of the next coach they fire

Adun fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 29, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Adun posted:

I mean the whole ''making up death threats' thing seems flimsy as hell. Gonna be hilarious in 5 years when McElwain finally wins the lawsuit and UF is stuck paying his full buyout and the buyout of the next coach they fire

You don't know much about working at a school, do you?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

I mean the whole ''making up death threats' thing seems flimsy as hell. You're telling me there's no one on twitter or whatever UF message board has said they've wanted to kill Jim McElwain or a player?

Sounds like they might work a buyout out anyway, so hopefully none of this matters. But if you go say you've had death threats against players and act as though it's actually something that is worrisome and not a throwaway twitter joke...well you're pretty much obligated to assist in the investigation into said threats.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Raku posted:

Looking at mcelwain recently it's been clear since the shark thing that the job, or at least part of it, is wearing on him. He was probably the most laid back HC in memory before this year but since he had to go on record for something that stupid he's seemed miserable.

Clearly he's feeling unfulfilled in life in general if he's having to get it from a shark.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Adun posted:

It's actually super irresponsible and shows horrible judgment and paints the fan base in a terrible light but ok!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Adun posted:

Not like Florida is lacking for money.

Maybe you poo poo gold ingots, but $13 million is a lot of money for any athletic department. Between the unreported/fake death threat statement and the players charged with the credit card fraud scam, things aren't exactly ship shape in Gainesville under his watch. Why wouldn't they try to reduce or even remove his buyout?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

It's actually super irresponsible and shows horrible judgment and paints the fan base in a terrible light but ok!

I'll take my chances on someone in Florida having done or said something stupid w.r.t. Jim McElwain

LLCoolJD posted:

Maybe you poo poo gold ingots, but $13 million is a lot of money for any athletic department. Between the unreported/fake death threat statement and the players charged with the credit card fraud scam, things aren't exactly ship shape in Gainesville under his watch. Why wouldn't they try to reduce or even remove his buyout?

They extended him this summer!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the labor rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: millionaire college football coaches.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Mac could have avoided a lot of this by just firing Doug loving Nussmeier. Instead his Florida stint is going to go down in flames.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Adun posted:

I'll take my chances on someone in Florida having done or said something stupid w.r.t. Jim McElwain

They extended him this summer!

K so the death threat is real and he refuses to give the UAA information on the death threats, potentially putting himself, his coaching staff, players and families at risk.

It's a fireable offense either way.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the labor rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: millionaire college football coaches.

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: big name college football programs that make $150 million in revenue a year on free labor who are too stupid to stop giving big contract extensions and huge buyouts

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

K so the death threat is real and he refuses to give the UAA information on the death threats, potentially putting himself, his coaching staff, players and families at risk.

It's a fireable offense either way.

Yep, as a mandatory reporter, that could be considered cause.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Guys, this was all a plan by Stoops to get out of Oklahoma and come home to coach the Gators. It's a move out of an old Florida coach's playbook called The Urban.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Adun posted:

It’s good that someone is finally willing to stand up for the rights of the REAL mistreated and exploited: big name college football programs that make $150 million in revenue a year on free labor who are too stupid to stop giving big contract extensions and huge buyouts

So actually by paying a bad coach and possible liar a bunch of money for doing nothing it’s actually a win for the athletes. Good point. He’s the real victim here. It’s bad that colleges make a bunch of money on these kids but good when coaches get paid millions to get fired.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Is Butch Jones fired yet

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So actually by paying a bad coach and possible liar a bunch of money for doing nothing it’s actually a win for the athletes. Good point. He’s the real victim here. It’s bad that colleges make a bunch of money on these kids but good when coaches get paid millions to get fired.

No one would give a poo poo about this death threats thing if UF was 7-1 this year. It seems pretty stupid for everyone to suddenly pretend like they care if a football coach reports random Twitter death threats.

UF signed a contract with an employee and they’re trying to get out of paying him what he’s owed. That’s pretty lovely!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Nah it’s actually hilarious

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Adun posted:

No one would give a poo poo about this death threats thing if UF was 7-1 this year. It seems pretty stupid for everyone to suddenly pretend like they care if a football coach reports random Twitter death threats.

UF signed a contract with an employee and they’re trying to get out of paying him what he’s owed. That’s pretty lovely!

And all the employee had to do make literal millions for doing a bad job and getting fired was not do something that might give the university cause to fire him.

Also, your argument applies with no modification to golden parachutes for lovely fired executives.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Adun posted:

I really don't care either way, but if Mac was a teacher at some lovely public school and he didn't report on death threats, he'd be fired. They will probably work out a couple of few million to make Mac go away.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

And all the employee had to do make literal millions for doing a bad job and getting fired was not do something that might give the university cause to fire him.

Also, your argument applies with no modification to golden parachutes for lovely fired executives.

A big part of the problem with corporate governance/golden parachutes is that CEOs often sit on the board or have too cozy of a relationship with the board and exert undue influence. So often they’re writing their own contracts.

UF didn’t need any help to shoot itself in the dick so it’s not exactly the same.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/darrenheitner/status/924450026700537856

This is the same guy who originally reported the buyout stuff this morning.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Frost actually like UCF, and, per rumor, wants to turn it into "the oregon of the east", but he's gonna get can't-say-no offers soon

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

With Auburn and LSU left on the schedule, Sumlin really needed to win the Mississippi State game, and he certainly didn't need to get embarrassed by them. 7-5 is looking more likely than 8-4, and that's probably not going to do it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol if McElwain gets fired before Butch

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

Frost actually like UCF, and, per rumor, wants to turn it into "the oregon of the east", but he's gonna get can't-say-no offers soon

That rumor is a load of crap, the only way he's even around in December is if UCF is in the Peach Bowl.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Korranus posted:

That rumor is a load of crap, the only way he's even around in December is if UCF is in the Peach Bowl.

I don't doubt that that's something his agent is telling people.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Butch Jones has lost to Kentucky, and Florida's going to get away with firing their coach for free.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
FIRE HIM

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

With Auburn and LSU left on the schedule, Sumlin really needed to win the Mississippi State game, and he certainly didn't need to get embarrassed by them. 7-5 is looking more likely than 8-4, and that's probably not going to do it.

Well, I think LSU is a worse team that Miss State so you might still get that one

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pakled posted:

lol if McElwain gets fired before Butch

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

McElwain is going to get fired, and go to some random school and his offense will start scoring 60 a game.

Florida will sign Chip Kelly and fail to break 10 all season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Florida playing like poo poo is forever karma for Tebow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
A brilliant offensive mind with extensive college AND professional experience? I have just the guy for Florida.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread