Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

So my nexus 4 finally died, touchscreen went haywire. I think i can see the screen coming away from the glass internally around where the problem area seems to be :rip:

Posting from a friend's discarded nexus 5 which seems to have random microphone doesn't work during calls issues. And you all have me so confused now about what i should buy as a replacement

Get an iphone or an old pixel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i bought one of these recently

the best phone

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
lol if you make phone calls in tyool2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i bought one of these recently

the best phone

it's too small and runs bad software. it's garbage. throw it into the nearest dumpster and move on with your life and forget the lies you've been living. You deserve better.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Smythe posted:

it's too small and runs bad software. it's garbage. throw it into the nearest dumpster and move on with your life and forget the lies you've been living. You deserve better.

wrong bitch it’s the best

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OldAlias posted:

wrong bitch its the best

It's worthless trash. Not worth the silicon that desperate slaves dragged from the earth to forge.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i was surprised to find out recently that ios doesn't have the automatic alert at data usage threshold that android does. on android i can say "hey let me know if i use up x GB before the end of the month" but i guess ios won't even automatically turn over the statistics on a set schedule?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i was surprised to find out recently that ios doesn't have the automatic alert at data usage threshold that android does. on android i can say "hey let me know if i use up x GB before the end of the month" but i guess ios won't even automatically turn over the statistics on a set schedule?

just buy more data. no big deal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

iOS is loving garbage lol. it's loving terrible in every conceivable way.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

iOS is loving garbage lol. it's loving terrible in every conceivable way.

actually it’s cool and good.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
ios11 is dogshit on my 6+

ios10 was much less dogshit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Doc Block posted:

"bokeh" refers to the specific blur that out-of-focus stuff has. it isn't depth-of-field or "background out of focus, foreground in focus" (that's just called shallow depth-of-field).

different lenses have different bokeh qualities, depending on stuff like how many blades the aperture has. if out of focus stuff looks hexagon-ish with your lens, it's because the aperture only has 6 blades.

bokeh is hard to fake (especially in real time) because it isn't just a "normal" blur like a box or gaussian blur. with a normal blur, bright objects get blended into their surrounding objects and become less bright, whereas in real photography, bright objects that are out of focus appear to expand. the best post-processing bokeh effects also simulate aperture blades and stuff like that.

the iphone+ models and now the pixel 2 try to simulate shallow depth of field by adding fake bokeh. devices with two cameras will be able to do a better job of it, because they'll be able to build a depth map. but the requirement that it be real-time or close to real-time means that the effect still isn't that convincing, and without a really accurate depth map (which you can't get with cameras only a centimeter apart) there are a lot of situations where the fake shallow depth of field effect just falls over completely.

don't forget the trendy effect of the swirly bokeh background caused by what is actually a not-so-good lens with field curvature

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it impossible to do real bokeh with smartphones? my nexus 5 actually has an f/2 lens, which would give you great blurries if it was a piece of SLR glass

the focal length of your nexus 5 camera is 4.97mm. the larger and smaller sensors are the factor that changes the focal length required to achieve a particular field of view; a 4x5 large format camera has around 150mm as "normal" (approximately equal to 105mm on 6x7 medium format or 50mm on 35mm film/full frame sensor, etc) and can achieve a much shallower depth of field for the same aperture than the smaller sensors

idk who this guy is but his portrait was taken with a 7" Aero Ektar (178mm focal length, f/2.5 max aperture, also it's radioactive) and the depth of field is much thinner than if you took a portrait that included the same area of his face and the background on a camera with a smaller sensor.

you could achieve similar depth of field with a 178mm lens on any smaller camera, but it would be like cropping this picture to proportionately smaller rectangles.

also of note: the "normal" field of view remains the same as you go up, but since you're using a longer lens to take a picture with similar composition, geometric distortion is also reduced with larger format cameras; the effect is literally impossible to duplicate with something smaller, and the only large format digital solutions are either essentially a flatbed scanner mounted to the back of a camera, or just mount a smaller camera on a 4x5 and stitch photos together.

in conclusion, large format film is still 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠 and will remain so for the forseeable future.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

So my nexus 4 finally died, touchscreen went haywire. I think i can see the screen coming away from the glass internally around where the problem area seems to be :rip:

Posting from a friend's discarded nexus 5 which seems to have random microphone doesn't work during calls issues. And you all have me so confused now about what i should buy as a replacement

buy a used nexus 4 (preferably one that's bootlooped or something for cheap) and swap the motherboard out. it's not hard to do; I did the swap the one time I dropped mine and broke the screen

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

actually its cool and good.

It's tragically terrible. LOL

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i can rack a focus between a subjects nose and eyebrows and swap my 16mm film in 30 seconds in the camera bag on my vintage bolex, bitch. problem?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

weird i didn't know people still willingly paid for capped data

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ahahahaha

it seems like cloudflare has started to reject certain ssl connection methods and now all the lovely old android phones can't use Awful.apk to browse the forums anymore. there it defaults to those old methods and fails.

if I was a worse person I would end support for those 4+ year old phone OSs right now instead of at the end of the year like I was planning

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Ahahahaha

it seems like cloudflare has started to reject certain ssl connection methods and now all the lovely old android phones can't use Awful.apk to browse the forums anymore. there it defaults to those old methods and fails.

if I was a worse person I would end support for those 4+ year old phone OSs right now instead of at the end of the year like I was planning

you should end it now because there is no reason to support anyone who wont upgrade to a modern and secure phone. a moto g5 is like $160 on amazon there are plenty of decent budget choices for up to date phones even for poors

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

weird i didn't know people still willingly paid for capped data

If you're not in America you might not have a choice. In Australia at least, there's no such thing as uncapped data and pretty much the only difference between plans is how much data you actually get.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tornhelm posted:

If you're not in America you might not have a choice. In Australia at least, there's no such thing as uncapped data and pretty much the only difference between plans is how much data you actually get.

$20/mo unlimited phone data checking in

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
we even have unlimited data here in nz

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

$20/mo unlimited phone data checking in

In Australia that'd get you 2-5GB of data with most telcos.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tornhelm posted:

In Australia that'd get you 2-5GB of data with most telcos.

i mean that's my entire phone plan, the unlimited data itself is $11 i think

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I pay 7usd a month for 1gb/day

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

I pay 7usd a month for 1gb/day

that seems to be worse than it sounds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
#burgerghazigate is picking up steam. how is Microsoft the only company that understands how to layer a burger?

https://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/924487551372615680

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
apple’s version is clearly about ~symmetry~

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Man, even worse...

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
ahahahahaha

like, how does the google artist who made that think foam works?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

akadajet posted:

Man, even worse...

wtf google

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

#burgerghazigate is picking up steam. how is Microsoft the only company that understands how to layer a burger?

https://twitter.com/sundarpichai/status/924487551372615680

apple: you're eating it wrong

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

how is Microsoft the only company that understands how to layer a burger?
Blind squirrel, etc., etc.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

akadajet posted:

Man, even worse...

hahahaha holy hell

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
im about 80% sure that beer has a thought bubble over it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sereri posted:

Ahahahaha

two months sooner than planned? do it and don't look back

thanks for putting up with us in the awful.app thread

akadajet posted:

Man, even worse...

:laffo:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rip the google emoticon blobs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My Nexus 5x is slowing down, is this because it's too old and Googlelords want me to ugprade

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Block posted:

ahahahahaha

like, how does the google artist who made that think

They don't, that's the problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

actionjackson posted:

My Nexus 5x is slowing down, is this because it's too old and Googlelords want me to ugprade

lol if you think anyone at google has thought about the nexus 5x in the last few years.