Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Holy loving drat dual swords are sick nasty :unsmigghh:

I just wish I could find a purple set because my purple spear has bleed on hit that is insanely useful for hunting the critters that laugh at my bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Morter posted:

What I'm asking for, I guess, is a counter to these fools, especially the horse ambushers. I was sneak-walking along the dunes when they showed up and rained arrow-death on me. I had nowhere to run or hide. Is the only counter tools? Spears? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

Whistle for your horse and either A: be a badass and butcher them all now that you’re on equal footing, or B: ride the hell away and jump in some bushes to hide when you’re clear, then sneak back and murder stab them all.

Disengage and re-engage from a position of strength, basically. Also, be sure when you’re sneak walking along dunes that you’re using cover, because just being crouched doesn’t do much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dongattack posted:

4: Is stealth still a big part and do you still actually assassinate people? I saw someone shoot a enemy in the head with a bow and he didn't die which feels a bit dumb, but i understand they are trying something new here.

There's a fair number of assassination missions, and once you get the hidden blade (a couple hours in) you can stealth kill people whenever and it's not a big deal. Archery can be used to stealth kill too, but you'll need to put ability points into it and use one of the high-damage low-ammo zooming bows (don't ask, it's a gameplay thing). headshots always do more damage but probably won't kill someone outright unless you're really upgraded and specialized that way or if they're lower level than you.

I still did a couple assassinations with bows, though. You can always just shoot them a bunch of times until they fall down!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Holy loving drat dual swords are sick nasty :unsmigghh:

I just wish I could find a purple set because my purple spear has bleed on hit that is insanely useful for hunting the critters that laugh at my bow.

Sickle Swords have bleeding by default, so check a couple blacksmiths and see if you can buy one.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This is GTA Egypt but with good controls. Stealth is, somehow fun. I hate stealth, why can't I stop stealthing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Coldforge posted:

Also, be sure when you’re sneak walking along dunes that you’re using cover, because just being crouched doesn’t do much.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this is the bandit camp where you have to destroy a cache in, during a side quest. There was literally no cover on the way to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
forts are incredibly satisfying to sneak around picking guards off and laying traps for leaders and all. Then you reach a point where you've thinned their forces out enough for you to say 'gently caress it, party time' and just leap into the middle of a group and you just slaughter the remaining guys.

Also I just got to Giza, instantly ignored my mission, climbed the pyramid, slid down, looted it. Good game, guys, good fuckin game.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Supreme Allah posted:

I need to know since its not on 'play anywhere', should I get it on x box 1 or pc, to play at 1080 res. I just got a modestly decent PC, these are the specs

i5-6600k
16 gig ram
ssd (does this matter for gaming)

I've been looking at some pc performance vids and it looks like my (non overclocked) CPU would be a bottleneck? But nothing I found directly compares my specs to consoles.

Anyway, input appreciated.

I have this exact same video card and processor, also 16 gigs of ram and the game installed on a Samsung 850 pro SSD. I can run the game at 2560x1440 resolution at a pretty consistent 60fps between very high and ultra (everything at the same settings as very high - but increased environment details and characters to ultra). I haven’t reached Alexandria yet, though - only at Lake Mareotis.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 29, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Some weird poo poo happens when you're out in the desert, it seems.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

corn in the bible posted:

There's a fair number of assassination missions, and once you get the hidden blade (a couple hours in) you can stealth kill people whenever and it's not a big deal. Archery can be used to stealth kill too, but you'll need to put ability points into it and use one of the high-damage low-ammo zooming bows (don't ask, it's a gameplay thing). headshots always do more damage but probably won't kill someone outright unless you're really upgraded and specialized that way or if they're lower level than you.

I still did a couple assassinations with bows, though. You can always just shoot them a bunch of times until they fall down!

:eyepop:
Haha, about that... I literally just got that and I'm... 14 hours in, whoopsie.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

Some weird poo poo happens when you're out in the desert, it seems.

I´ve had a single fish drop from the heavens in front of me, which dissapeared when I got too close. Hope there´s more mirages like that in the game.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

ihatepants posted:

I have this exact same video card and processor, also 16 gigs of ram and the game installed on a Samsung 850 pro SSD. I can run the game at 2560x1440 resolution at a pretty consistent 60fps between very high and ultra (everything at the same settings as very high - but increased environment details and characters to ultra). I haven’t reached Alexandria yet, though - only at Lake Mareotis.

Thanks man, I'm so impatient I just got it on x-box like five minutes after asking the question. It looks good enough that I can't complain.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

So are the vendor mounts any faster and worth buying? The cities/desert are so huge I'll really like a faster camel.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Noirex posted:

So are the vendor mounts any faster and worth buying? The cities/desert are so huge I'll really like a faster camel.

As far as I can tell mounts are purely cosmetic, I could be wrong though... I haven't bought a whole lot of them just a couple.

I wish they'd put stats or something for them if there's actual differences.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Morter posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong but this is the bandit camp where you have to destroy a cache in, during a side quest. There was literally no cover on the way to it.

Not sure why you're trying to sneak in, then? Just use your bow(s) to thin them, on horseback from the start.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Noirex posted:

As far as I can tell they just look neat, same as the outfits.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

christ this is the best asscreed game in a long loving time, i am not that far but holy poo poo the combat while not perfect, is loving fun and a rush. you feel like a loving badass when your able to take on a bunch of dudes and gently caress them while dodging around and shooting/stabbing them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been focusing on the Sage tree for talents and boy does it unlock the fun bullshit. Throwing firebombs into a chariot and then using corpse poison to gently caress with the guys who come at me, and THEN using berzerker drugs on the few guards looking for me who are left is just some good ol funtimes.

Oh and smoke bombs, holy poo poo guys get smoke bombs and the damage upgrade.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shivers posted:

I´ve had a single fish drop from the heavens in front of me, which dissapeared when I got too close. Hope there´s more mirages like that in the game.

i've seen two mirages so far:

- raining scarabs

- a dude planting flowers way out in the sand dunes, he blew away like leaves when I got close

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Deakul posted:

As far as I can tell mounts are purely cosmetic, I could be wrong though... I haven't bought a whole lot of them just a couple.

I wish they'd put stats or something for them if there's actual differences.

Bummer, wish there was a way to upgrade their speed. I did steal a horse and it seemed faster but I can't tell if it was just my imagination.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Pretty sure horses are faster than camels, that's all. No idea on chariots though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I finally found The arena. For those who want to get to it early on, do the Crocodile assassination quest line.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How're the difficulty settings and checkpoints? I kind of want to give Hard a bash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

How're the difficulty settings and checkpoints? I kind of want to give Hard a bash.

From what I can tell, hard doubles enemy damage and halves your own. It's kind of bullshit, and the game would be better if it just adjusted how much damage enemies deal or something like that. However, when I was playing on hard I didn't have the hidden blade yet so I also couldn't stealth kill the enemies. It might be more fun now, since having real danger from enemies as a penalty for loving up stealth makes sense.

I played up until the Sekhmet fight and then couldn't beat that on hard so I changed to normal. Much more fun imho

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 29, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know how to change the audio device the game defaults to? It keeps trying to use the speakers on my monitor rather than the default system speakers. So I have either lovely speaker audio or none at all except static.

E: Disabling all sound effects in the enhancement tab of Speaker properties fixed it.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 29, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

corn in the bible posted:

From what I can tell, hard doubles enemy damage and halves your own. It's kind of bullshit, and the game would be better if it just adjusted how much damage enemies deal or something like that. However, when I was playing on hard I didn't have the hidden blade yet so I also couldn't stealth kill the enemies. It might be more fun now, since having real danger from enemies as a penalty for loving up stealth makes sense.

I played up until the Sekhmet fight and then couldn't beat that on hard so I changed to normal. Much more fun imho

Thanks, I'll just spare myself and switch to Normal.

Falling damage being a thing sure is annoying, switching between this and Shadow of War and all :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of falling how vertical is the game?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

A bit less than past games but there's plenty of climbing to do with the environment and in the major cities.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Kin posted:

Anyone on PC able to confirm if cranking down the textures frees up the video memory for everything else (like in shadow of war) or is it generally a mix of things that impacts performance?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to get this on PC or just cave and fork out the extra bucks for the ps4 version.
Yes and no. It indicates right on the screen how much video memory it expects to use. At least on a 1070 it doesn't seem to make a difference however what settings you use, it doesn't go beyond 4GB, except if you try to use the adaptive detail setting.
If you try to use that feature though the game will perform significantly worse even if you have a 10x Card with 8GB+ VRAM, even if it never goes beyond 5-6 GB.
I tried it and the game never reached the frame rate target. It's probably bugged, because turning it off delivered significantly improved performance.

The best option, and this has been true for the past 20 years, is to tune down shadow settings any way you can. That will / always has delivered the highest frame rate improvement of all possible settings (along with turning off/down water reflections/physics whatever)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
so how exactly do you get the booby trapped door in the Khufu's pyramid open

plot bullshit?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Coldforge posted:

Not sure why you're trying to sneak in, then? Just use your bow(s) to thin them, on horseback from the start.

Sneaking would have worked if not for those marauding horsemen, which is the point of the post. :argh:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There's trireme combat in this game, and it's pretty fun

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alexandria is so goddamn pretty.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

exploded mummy posted:

so how exactly do you get the booby trapped door in the Khufu's pyramid open

plot bullshit?

The Hyena questline.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

Alexandria is so goddamn pretty.

Cyrene as well, particulary the temples.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well aside from the audio problem I had at the start so far no bugs or noticeable glitches. I just finished doing everything I could find in Siwa. It's ok, it's fun. I think they botched the combat system though. It feels really clunky and unresponsive. I tried being dodgy and to time my attacks but ultimately I've found just spamming light or heavy attack and completely ignoring the other buttons works best. I haven't even tried to use lock-on since the first few fights.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Lollerich posted:

Yes and no. It indicates right on the screen how much video memory it expects to use. At least on a 1070 it doesn't seem to make a difference however what settings you use, it doesn't go beyond 4GB, except if you try to use the adaptive detail setting.
If you try to use that feature though the game will perform significantly worse even if you have a 10x Card with 8GB+ VRAM, even if it never goes beyond 5-6 GB.
I tried it and the game never reached the frame rate target. It's probably bugged, because turning it off delivered significantly improved performance.

The best option, and this has been true for the past 20 years, is to tune down shadow settings any way you can. That will / always has delivered the highest frame rate improvement of all possible settings (along with turning off/down water reflections/physics whatever)

Cheers, i just caved and got the PS4 version. I've got a 970 and don't trust Ubisoft to get the performance issues nailed based on what you said.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Played a bit more and I'm enjoying it, in a "this a fun and pretty open-world timewaster" sense. A not insignificant part of that enjoyment probably is due to me having skipped the latest batch of Ubisoft open world releases, an assembly line which AC seems to now have been integrated into more than ever before. Unity, the last one I played, had some (very very light) shades of Hitman in the main assassinations and personally I had hoped AC would move a bit more in that direction, but realistically that wasn't going to happen anyway.

From a technical standpoint (not been to the big city yet) I get ~70 FPS at Ultra with a 7700K/1080, with some noteciable pop-in in places and weird stutter in in-engine cutscenes. Other than what could be considered pretty standard open world jank it's been bug free so far.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Just chiming in to say using a big loving mace to crush skulls and ballsacks with the sound of charged up heavy attack is satisfying as hell
:discourse: 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I'm not sure why anyone would ever parry when dodging is so much more reliable. I'm deliberately trying to use parry more to nail the timing but against more than 2 enemies it feels like a liability to even try it.

That said the game is pretty fun. I like the bows being straight up rifle/sniper/SMG/shotgun, it's a bit silly but whatevers. And someone at Ubi should now seriously be thinking about some kind of fantasy world franchise using the combat system; take on a few B-grade genre writers, change Fire Bombs to Fire Ball and go a bit more crazy with the architecture and they've got a Skyrim killer on their hands.