Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I actually love armada and is a game i would play 10x more of if i could pick "do none of the obj" if i had the initiative bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The main thing about objectives is that I don't think they'd really fix this game's problems and it would make the dogfighting aspect of the game even weirder. This game doesn't really have a lot of ways to interact with objectives in interesting ways. It would've needed to be a part of the game from day 1 to work.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't think so; there's plenty of basic, simple scenario that could be constructed based around the kind of combat tasks that these ships did in the canon (or their equivalents in real history). The current scenario works fine for, say, air superiority sweeps, but it doesn't cover the strike missions (and interception missions, for the other side) that are most commonly depicted in Star Wars. A bomber becomes much more interesting when it's not squashed into a dogfighting box and can actually go after objectives. It wouldn't be without some mechanics bloodshed, but there's been far worse games adapted to basic scenario play with a few iterations of scenario design.

I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently, since the last time I played X-Wing, and want to try playtesting some basic form of intercept mission when I get the chance. Probably with victory based on getting ordinance off the opposite side of an elongated (epic?) map.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 28, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Are we pretending that FFG would design good tournament balanced scenarios now? All that would happen is we'd get a bunch of scenarios that move the rock-paper-scissors aspect from ship-versus-ship to ship-versus-scenario.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Strobe posted:

Are we pretending that FFG would design good tournament balanced scenarios now? All that would happen is we'd get a bunch of scenarios that move the rock-paper-scissors aspect from ship-versus-ship to ship-versus-scenario.

That's already the case now, it's just that there's a single scenario. Variety would be an improvement.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Objectives are poo poo. Theyre poo poo in attack wing, theyre poo poo in armada and you'll never convince me that theyll be anything other than poo poo for xwing.

I honestly like the objectives in Armada. It's not like you can build for the three objectives your opponent might have picked. However, I think the tournament system itself is horrible. No way should someone who goes undefeated lose a tournament to someone who lost a game.

In other news. Some interesting lists in the top 16 at Aussie Nats.

Kanan/ Lowie (top of swiss)
Leebo/Chewie
Dash/Missile Miranda w/o adv slam
Crack Swarm

out but close
5-1 was a Lambda & 2 defenders all with ion cannons w/o palp
Rey/Poe

Stream for Aussie nats top 16 starts up in a hour https://go.twitch.tv/renegadesquadrongaming

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 28, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was wrong the all ion defender, defender, shuttle list made it to the top 16 and just made it to the top 8. I was wrong it does have palp.

Delta Squadron Pilot (30)
Ion Cannon (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Collision Detector (0)
Ion Cannon (3)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Raged fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Crack Swarm now in top 8 also
Kanan/Lowie,
Kanan/Biggs
Trip scouts,
Miranda, Lowie, Biggs
Ion Death Machine

Crack swarm tabled palp/whisper/sabbac it was brutal

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 29, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If only he had been a little more patient and not planted both aces in front of a tie swarm. That hurt to watch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Crack Swarm now in top 8 along with Kanan/Lowie.

Crack swarm tabled palp/whisper/sabbac it was brutal

A well-flown Crack Swarm will eat just about anything. It's always beautiful to see it done.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

If only he had been a little more patient and not planted both aces in front of a tie swarm. That hurt to watch.

Can't believe he put sabbac so far out

I really want the Ion Death Machine to win or the Crack Swarm

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 29, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Can't believe he put sabbac so far out

I really want the Ion Death machine to win or the Crack Swarm

Do you know the upgrades for the ion list? I've been toying with Ion Vessery and wanna know who they paired him with

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you know the upgrades for the ion list? I've been toying with Ion Vessery and wanna know who they paired him with

Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Collision Detector (0)
Ion Cannon (3)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Stream will start up again in about 5-10 min https://www.twitch.tv/renegadesquadrongaming

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Collision Detector (0)
Ion Cannon (3)
Emperor Palpatine (8)

Stream will start up again in about 5-10 min https://www.twitch.tv/renegadesquadrongaming

Ooo it's not even Vessery.

That...kinda owns. Ion cannon on the OGP is hilarious

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Ooo it's not even Vessery.

That...kinda owns. Ion cannon on the OGP is hilarious

It's on the stream now. https://www.twitch.tv/renegadesquadrongaming

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This game is EXACTLY why Biggs needed a nerf.

It's infuriating to watch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah it was pretty stupid. Could have wiped Lowhhrick or Miranda in 2 turns a piece, but Biggs gonna Biggs.
I was never that annoyed with Biggs in the game because at the end of the day, he's still an X-Wing and didn't last super long anyway. The Lowhhrick effect took Biggs in my mind from "annoying" to "oppressive"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, it was heartbreaking to watch. In the interview at the end when the winner said the only reason he flew the list was that it was the one list he always had trouble beating. Think 3 of the top 4 will have the wookie ship in it one of them consists of 4. How do you crack 4 Wookie gunships? You put 4 of those down you are saying the match is going to time unless the wookies wipe the board.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Yeah, it was heartbreaking to watch. In the interview at the end when the winner said the only reason he flew the list was that it was the one list he always had trouble beating. Think 3 of the top 4 will have the wookie ship in it one of them consists of 4. How do you crack 4 Wookie gunships? You put 4 of those down you are saying the match is going to time unless the wookies wipe the board.

I haven't seen the quad wookiees list, but isn't the solution just "get behind it"?

Like why can't something like Dash, or an Imperial ace, just get around behind it and pick it apart? Sure it takes a while but it's not like they can turn around.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I haven't seen the quad wookiees list, but isn't the solution just "get behind it"?

Like why can't something like Dash, or an Imperial ace, just get around behind it and pick it apart? Sure it takes a while but it's not like they can turn around.

Their 180 degree forward arc makes it less straightforward than it would seem. They could literally cover half the board if they set up right, and that’s before any pilot abilities/reinforce actions come into play.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Get behind all 4? its not like they need to fly in formation. They can just split up and prob get 3 of them on you with their huge arcs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
the 4 Wookie list is up on the stream now vs Kanan/Lowie

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 29, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

the 4 Wookie list is up on the stream now vs 2 K-wings

2 K Wings with a gajillion bombs :stare:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

2 K Wings with a gajillion bombs :stare:

The overlay was wrong Kanan/Lowie now

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Jeez they amount of damage 4 wookie ships can shrug off is insane

looks like the final will be Bigg/Lowie/Miranda Vs 4 Wookie ships

Booooooooooooooooooooo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I’ve played against 4 Wookie Gunships a few times. Getting behind them is tough due to their arc and even more so they are typically flown to block and bump each other to the point where you’re going to run into them. They also have a shitload of health. The closest I’ve really seen is someone with Asasaj/Nym bombing the poo poo out of them but yep, they can take damage, deal it out, and generally go to time.

Basically, hope the dice is in your favor on both ends. I’m glad Biggs got nerfed. This game needs more brutality and not last over an hour because of what it takes to chew through shields and armor.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This final is painful to watch. Biggs/Lowie just shrugging off an immense number of hits and just trucking along. Anyone pissed over the biggs nerf needs a dick punch. Honestly though I think it's probably they only list with the ability to beat 4 gunships.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The guy who took second with 4 wookies played them for the first time a week ago. Get ready for a flood of carpet.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

The guy who took second with 4 wookies played them for the first time a week ago. Get ready for a flood of carpet.

The cool thing is that they're PS1 so I reckon BBBBZ has their number in a joust. Or BBBB linked batteries x4 and a harpoon. If it did become dominant I think you'll see a resurgence of those low-mid tier pilots with strong abilities. Which is interesting.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

hoiyes posted:

The cool thing is that they're PS1 so I reckon BBBBZ has their number in a joust. Or BBBB linked batteries x4 and a harpoon. If it did become dominant I think you'll see a resurgence of those low-mid tier pilots with strong abilities. Which is interesting.

Somewhere in a dark room, a game designer is smiling. "All according to utini*"
(Utini means plan in Jawa)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Bahahahaha

If you want the ultimate in homebrew look no further

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/79bzqb/xwing_supremacy_subreddit_is_now_live/?st=j9cj61um&sh=e61a2099

Want an X-wing that's just as manoeuvrable as a tie fighter and moves like a striker... no problem. Why redesign a single card when you can redesign the whole game from the ground up. They even use the same graphics and type setting The manual is rich in a variety of different salt type.

I eagerly await the FFG or Disney cease and desist.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The idea of frames tied to abilities and upgrade bar is actually a pretty elegant idea.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Been throwing poo poo against the wall and seeing what sticks. This one seems to make sense to me in the brave new world that starts next week. What do you guys think.

Karthakk Pirate (24)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Karthakk Pirate (24)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Contracted Scout (25)
Intimidation (2)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Feedback Array (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Raged fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 29, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

So, the problem is, BBBBZ style attacks are quite bad against the reinforce action. And the B-wing doesn't have a missiles lot so you can't put harpoons on it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
One last bad idea before bed

Kashyyyk Defender (24)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Kashyyyk Defender (24)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Dash Rendar (36)
Trick Shot (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Rey (2)
Outrider (5)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I.....really like that bad idea.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thought it had to be Dash (crew) not Dash (pilot) for Trick Shot to trigger, because of the wording on each Dash’s card?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Thought it had to be Dash (crew) not Dash (pilot) for Trick Shot to trigger, because of the wording on each Dash’s card?

Pilot Dash only ignores obstacles in the Activation step. If he's on an asteroid in the combat phase, he can't fire.

Edit: Dash crew wouldn't work with Trick Shot at all as he ignores obstacles for shooting purposes.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 29, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Though I like the idea, I'd rather have a reroll than +1 die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Bahahahaha

If you want the ultimate in homebrew look no further

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/79bzqb/xwing_supremacy_subreddit_is_now_live/?st=j9cj61um&sh=e61a2099

Want an X-wing that's just as manoeuvrable as a tie fighter and moves like a striker... no problem. Why redesign a single card when you can redesign the whole game from the ground up. They even use the same graphics and type setting The manual is rich in a variety of different salt type.

I eagerly await the FFG or Disney cease and desist.

I was actually somewhat impressed by this. While there are undoubtedly many individual balance issues within, the core concept of "frames" and the way they handle modifying the ships is really solid.

• Locked thread