Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My main complaint with GCCM maps is they seemed to focus on eye candy above gameplay, you'd have lovely looking massive cities, but it would take literally 20 real time minutes to force march your army until you even had line of sight of where the other forces were holed up.

Their upcoming quality culling sounds needed because a good chunk of the maps just seemed rush out as fast as possible to fill empty map spots because there were plenty of maps with floating structures and maps that were just small squares in the middle of a featureless plain.

No disagreement here. The AI needs tweaking as well to deal with pathing since anything more elaborate than the occasional barn can cause them to derp out.

And yeah agreed on the impractical huge cities. Nun was really pretty, but you'd need a tier 5 city with tier 3 wall garrison and a full 20 stack army garrisoned inside to really make the most of the city fighting. Ive also not seen multi layered gates (inner walls yes, but fully walled inner defenses no) which is disappointing.

The most practical GCCM map I tried in campaign was Karaz A Karak itself, because it is set up to be the tightest of choke points and has an excellent pair of ledges to position artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The AI sure does some weird stuff in ME. The Empire hasn't spread outside their starting province at all, instead opting to sail across the world to the southlands. They own a pretty big chunk of the desert and seem to be expanding. Bretonnia has employed a similar strategy and is duking it out with the Vampire Counts for control over...Norsca. Which they each own half of.

Diplomacy sucks btw. Like 40 turns ago one of my defensive allies declared war on the other, I opted to help the defender, and it tanked my reliability from Steadfast to Untrustworthy. Hasn't risen at all since even though I haven't broken any treaties, and nobody wants anything to do with me because of it. This campaign would have already been over if I could just secure a military alliance with the Dwarfs.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 29, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Vampiric corruption really makes playing Kroq-Gar unfun as hell

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Vargs posted:

The AI sure does some weird stuff in ME. The Empire hasn't spread outside their starting province at all, instead opting to sail across the world to the southlands. They own a pretty big chunk of the desert and seem to be expanding. Bretonnia has employed a similar strategy and is duking it out with the Vampire Counts for control over...Norsca. Which they each own half of.

Diplomacy sucks btw. Like 40 turns ago one of my defensive allies declared war on the other, I opted to help the defender, and it tanked my reliability from Steadfast to Untrustworthy. Hasn't risen at all since even though I haven't broken any treaties, and nobody wants anything to do with me because of it. This campaign would have already been over if I could just secure a military alliance with the Dwarfs.

Lesson is not to make allies until the very end to finish the campaign.

If your defensive allies or military allies declare on each other, both options you get will destroy your reliability forever.

Even when i had 300+ in reputation as naggaroth to almost all the DE factions for sacking Norsca and High elves,
none of them still didn't want to make -any- new deals (trade/non-aggresion) because two DE factions that were my allies declared on each other.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Plavski posted:

Vampiric corruption really makes playing Kroq-Gar unfun as hell

On my current campaign (on hard) I eventually made the decision to just wipe the vampires out because as long as any of them existed the corruption osmosis would be a problem. It’s surprisinly doable - I had two stacks of mostly high rank saurus backed up by 3 heroes/lords on monsters, and it appears that basically no size or quality of ai controlled undead can hold a siege against that, you just send the saurus up the walls, have your lord bite the gate to death then roll the monsters through towards the victory square stamping anything that gets in their way.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I like how even tho the Order of Loremasters are on the other side of the world and I've never actually seen them in person, I still have -6 relations with them for Tresspasses against Order of Loremasters.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Using the mod to "disable" the Chaos invasion until CA fixes it is a great thing. I just hellmarched Ulthuan as Malekith and now I'm the rightful Phoenix King. Sailing two black arks up the Lothern straits and using them to reinforce your murder trains is amazing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm still not sure what to do with Teclis. Basically you net the army and then drop chainlightning and phoenix on them? Doesn't feel nearly as effective as just spamming blade storm with the torture elf.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

genericnick posted:

I'm still not sure what to do with Teclis. Basically you net the army and then drop chainlightning and phoenix on them? Doesn't feel nearly as effective as just spamming blade storm with the torture elf.

you don't even need to net them. the phoenix ring is super strong along the line and travels forever. Spam whatever spells, teclis gets tons of winds. I like to spam the cheapest spell to give all those buffs to my army.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I want to use the 'Chaos goes to war with everyone not just me" mod am I going to have to start a new campaign? I forget exactly which popup means they've spawned but I'm pretty sure it's already happened and they're somewhere in the world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

genericnick posted:

I net cavalry and monsters for the archers to shoot down. Otherwise get more value out of enfeebling foe and overcast screaming birds.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sassassin posted:

I net cavalry and monsters for the archers to shoot down. Otherwise get more value out of enfeebling foe and overcast screaming birds.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

you don't even need to net them. the phoenix ring is super strong along the line and travels forever. Spam whatever spells, teclis gets tons of winds. I like to spam the cheapest spell to give all those buffs to my army.

Nice. How do you deal with the neighbouring lizards? Itza loves me and would like to trade but I'm not sure that will continue once I get into rituals. And they have a goldmine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

If I want to use the 'Chaos goes to war with everyone not just me" mod am I going to have to start a new campaign? I forget exactly which popup means they've spawned but I'm pretty sure it's already happened and they're somewhere in the world.

Yeah, you're boned if they've already spawned. If not, mods like that usually change the event files so they'll work as long as the event itself hasn't happened yet.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, you're boned if they've already spawned. If not, mods like that usually change the event files so they'll work as long as the event itself hasn't happened yet.
Sucks. Does anyone remember which popup exactly it is? I know I've had one kind of generic "chaos is a thing yo" but I don't know if that's the one.

Or I guess I could find a mod that removes fog of war and just check.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Is the chaos invasion in Mortal Empires as hardcore as people say? I'm on turn 60 with High Elves in my first campaign and it worries me a little. What mod are you using to fix it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Sucks. Does anyone remember which popup exactly it is? I know I've had one kind of generic "chaos is a thing yo" but I don't know if that's the one.

Or I guess I could find a mod that removes fog of war and just check.

There's three events: Chaos is a thing my dudes, ETERNAL NORSCAN WAR, and BIG BOI ARCHAON IS COMING OUT TO PLAY. Point of no return is the second one, but I think you can verify if you've tripped it or not by checking if you've established contact/are at war with the Chaos Hordes and their Norscan vassals, or checking if the +1 Chaos corruption campaign effect is active.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ooooh poo poo I may be saved then because the only Chaos wandering around so far are the regular Norsca armies. I've not spotted any Chaos corruption at all except in a single southern province and I think that's just because some Beastmen were rampaging down there. Thanks dude!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
How long do you have to wait after cancelling a Non Aggression Pact before you can go to war without taking the diplomacy penalty?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Brasseye posted:

How long do you have to wait after cancelling a Non Aggression Pact before you can go to war without taking the diplomacy penalty?

10 turns.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
When you declare war you will get a warning if you are breaking treaties or are attacking less than 10 turns after breaking an agreement.

You will not get this warning if you are asked by an ally to join a war.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am having some trouble with cavalry and hopefully people can help me out. Simply put, after the first few runs at the enemy my cavalry stops charging. They no longer have the tooltip that pops up when they charge, and while they still send light enemies flying when they hit they don't seem to have the charge bonus.

At first I thought there was a fatigue loss that caused them to stop, but using the Grail Guardians (who do not fatigue) had the same effect.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Angry Lobster posted:

Is the chaos invasion in Mortal Empires as hardcore as people say? I'm on turn 60 with High Elves in my first campaign and it worries me a little. What mod are you using to fix it?

It's pretty brutal. It spawns three different "races" of chaos with three or four doomstacks each who really, really, really want to gently caress you up and no one else. I hit it for the first time with my Wood Elves run yesterday and I had to go full on defense before they completely obliterated my entire home area.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mazdamundi is such a charmer. :allears:

I saw Tyrion balling out of control and basically devouring the entirety of Ulthuan so I devoted most of my early diplomatic efforts into being his Bestest Friend Ever while I consolidated my first few provinces for the first 40 turns or so. Unfortunately, Morathi was unamused by my desire to be friends with Stab Elf, so I got sucked into a war of extermination with her that lasted another 20 turns. Thankfully, Tyrion passively watching me run over Morathi with dinosaurs made him love me to death, so mission accomplished. I've just finished squashing Morathi permanently(loving thank god, corruption attrition can eat ten dicks), so now it's time to move on to conquering southern Lustria.

Angry Lobster posted:

Each Chaos faction that spawns(there will be 2-4) will spawn a full doomstack for every major city you own and they will beeline you across the entire planet, ignoring every single other obstacle completely. They also start at war with you rather than declaring, meaning that your allies don't get sucked in(and the raw power of the chaos factions means asking your allies to join in will probably result in a "yeah no, thanks"). If/when you managed to fend this garbage off, when the Doom Tide event triggers the same poo poo will happen all over again, except the stacks will continually respawn(and continue to beeline you) until you go hunt down Archaon/Kholek/Sigvald/Sarthorael and the Warherd of Chaos and kill all of them quickly enough that none of them can respawn at the head of another horde. It's pretty much full on garbage. Even if you can withstand the endless tide of Chaos indefinitely, you will be fighting Chaos doomstacks and nothing else until the end of time or until you can somehow devote enough force to find out where the Four Stooges are hiding(and god help you if the Warherd of Chaos decides to just sit in hidden encampment somewhere in the Chaos Wastes).

After seeing this poo poo happen I installed http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181951362 and haven't looked back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've had 0 problems with confederation. Then again, I'm also miraculously able to both fight off Chaos, aggressively expand, and sabotage enemy rituals during the vortex campaign so maybe I'm the real legend of Total War.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Plavski posted:

I like how even tho the Order of Loremasters are on the other side of the world and I've never actually seen them in person, I still have -6 relations with them for Tresspasses against Order of Loremasters.

Happens when you teleport for quests.

I had half of Lustria declare on me after I teleported there for a quest.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's not been that bad for me. The only mildly objectionable thing was four doomstacks spawning in the middle of my newly confederated desert dwarf bros. Generally the doomstacks do beeline for me, but are happy to gently caress poo poo up and raid along the way, and races will declare on them after they trespass or raid.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

When you declare war you will get a warning if you are breaking treaties or are attacking less than 10 turns after breaking an agreement.

It'd be nice if the penalty for breaking treaties was mitigated somewhat, but not removed entirely, if you did it to honor an existing alliance's request, in part because that information isn't given to you on the choice screen and it'd make sense if other factions were slightly less inclined to think you were an rear end in a top hat.

Or just go simpler and give you a bonus to your reliability rating whenever you agree to an ally's request to join a war and give you a (small) malus to it and your relation with the ally when you refuse an ally's request. That way you'd be inclined to actually honor your ally's requests instead of ignoring them 100% of the time and it'd make the above situation slightly less painful. Not much, but slightly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Probably going to start playing this again since Wolf 2 isn't running on my laptop. ME seems like it needs more time in the oven, is multiplayer in a good spot right now?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
ME is fantastic, I'm not sure what the complaints are about. It's a giant world with everyone, the AI acts in it's own best interests a lot more, and there's a randomness added with the new settlement options, and from what I've been seeing, every game can have wildly different factions taking over, it's great. And broken alliances being permanent is kinda fitting for the total war setting, these factions hate the gently caress outta each other.

Diplomacy seems to be the best it's ever been (imho), the AI isn't just a function of "you hit 45 friends, we can now trade!" poo poo, the opaqueness makes it more realistic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Chaos script being broken is a definite problem, and the lack of WH2-style skill revamps and reasonable questlines for legendary for the Old World factions stings a lot. Thankfully, mods have rectified two of these three issues, and I'm just waiting on Crynsos to update his questline mod before I go back to shooting fuckers in the face with my Empire/Dwarf guns.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

toasterwarrior posted:

The Chaos script being broken is a definite problem, and the lack of WH2-style skill revamps and reasonable questlines for legendary for the Old World factions stings a lot. Thankfully, mods have rectified two of these three issues, and I'm just waiting on Crynsos to update his questline mod before I go back to shooting fuckers in the face with my Empire/Dwarf guns.

Which mod proves the skill lines?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Which mod proves the skill lines?

This one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181665600

I reaaaally like what the dude is doing here, and he plans to make exclusive skills (for example, Lizardmen Blessings) for each of the Old World factions. The Dwarfs already have theirs in, themed after the Dwarfen pantheon. I imagine most of the races use their gods, but there's cool poo poo with Bretonnian Vows that he could possibly do too.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The chaos invasion is the only thing I’ve found actually bad about ME so far. A lot of the diplomacy complaints people are having sounds like people are making too many defensive alliances, especially with weaker factions

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For Queek, which of the three Warlord skill trees unlocked at rank 13 are people thinking are the best? Initially the endless growth one seemed like a no-brainer and obnoxiously broken (+50% income from settlements factionwide iirc) but that only applies to the 50 you get from the settlement, so it basically means you just get 25 more per settlement. On the other hand, further reducing the already really stupidly cheap skavenslaves isn't that great, though the armor on them is okay I suppose. Which leaves the +ambush and agent bonus tree. In general, my agents are ahead of my armies so I wouldn't get too much benefit from the cost, and I've been investing in both the +ambush blue line and going for Lightning Strike (as a backup for when ambush fails) and to finish the blue capstone, so even more ambush chance seems unnecessary. I suppose I could just not go down the blue line, but +vet is so nice to have now that the bonuses for rank 7 units are so good. I've mostly settled on using the endless growth one figuring that the more warlords I have, the more capturing each settlement gains me, (and vice versa) but wasn't sure at all.

I think I'm doing ok with Skaven on the battlemaps though I still haven't gotten a great balance with Queek's army in terms of unit composition vs cost (and think Doomwheels are really disappointing), but my other, budget stacks are doing pretty well for themselves in terms of punching way above their weight with good use of poison, plague-priests, and committing warcrimes against my slaves and enemy alike. My problem is largely campaign-map based with them, even though I did figure out how to just get food forever. Also the auto-resolve hates my budget armies so I have to manually siege all of these loving Dwarf cities and its hugely tedious.

My "budget" armies, roughly, as able: Warlord, Engineer, Plague Priest, Assassin, 2 catapults, 2 cannon, 2 poison slingers, 0-4 clanrats and 4-8 slaves, 1 each of globadier. Queek's army right now is has the same heroes, 3/3 artillery, 2 poison slingers, 2 poison runners, 3/2 halberd/sword stormvermin, and a doomwheel that I definitely want to drop. Every lord has the +artillery red line, Queek has the +SV line while generic lords usually get +clanrat and +skirmisher lines. Any tweaks people would suggest? Units to add once I get more cash? Units I can definitely drop?

SMP
May 5, 2009

:psydwarf:

I'm gonna ragequit declare victory up on my long dorf campaign. Chaos was purged, the Greenskins dead, the Skaven with them, and almost all traces of the undead were removed. I only had to capture Naggarond as my last objective. I had everyone else united with me when the treacherous and imperialist scum wood elves declared war on Brettonia, then Loremasters. Being forced to break two alliances in a row then caused my powerful dwarf ally to hate me.

We could have rolled Malekith dammit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The chaos invasion is the only thing I’ve found actually bad about ME so far. A lot of the diplomacy complaints people are having sounds like people are making too many defensive alliances, especially with weaker factions

I agree with the broken invasion being the only part that's bad. I found this mod to try out. From the description I like the changes. I don't want to get rid of the invasion, I just want it to be reasonable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

genericnick posted:

Nice. How do you deal with the neighbouring lizards? Itza loves me and would like to trade but I'm not sure that will continue once I get into rituals. And they have a goldmine.

They will turn eventually turn but not for a long time. If you spare the faction you start at war with when they're down to their last desert settlement they can found a nice buffer state between you and the rat problem.

Turn 100 of my current campaign and everything in south america is infested ruins apart from my starter colony (Turtle islands, forbidden jungle, Haoatl) and two settlements of dwarves. If Teclis hadn't spent that time re-establishing Tiranoc, Nagarthe and Chrace (and two gates and the capital of Ellyrion) I might be worried (I'm worried).

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SMP posted:

:psydwarf:

We could have rolled Malekith dammit.

Into the book they go.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Ravenfood posted:

For Queek, which of the three Warlord skill trees unlocked at rank 13 are people thinking are the best? Initially the endless growth one seemed like a no-brainer and obnoxiously broken (+50% income from settlements factionwide iirc) but that only applies to the 50 you get from the settlement, so it basically means you just get 25 more per settlement. On the other hand, further reducing the already really stupidly cheap skavenslaves isn't that great, though the armor on them is okay I suppose. Which leaves the +ambush and agent bonus tree. In general, my agents are ahead of my armies so I wouldn't get too much benefit from the cost, and I've been investing in both the +ambush blue line and going for Lightning Strike (as a backup for when ambush fails) and to finish the blue capstone, so even more ambush chance seems unnecessary. I suppose I could just not go down the blue line, but +vet is so nice to have now that the bonuses for rank 7 units are so good. I've mostly settled on using the endless growth one figuring that the more warlords I have, the more capturing each settlement gains me, (and vice versa) but wasn't sure at all.

I think I'm doing ok with Skaven on the battlemaps though I still haven't gotten a great balance with Queek's army in terms of unit composition vs cost (and think Doomwheels are really disappointing), but my other, budget stacks are doing pretty well for themselves in terms of punching way above their weight with good use of poison, plague-priests, and committing warcrimes against my slaves and enemy alike. My problem is largely campaign-map based with them, even though I did figure out how to just get food forever. Also the auto-resolve hates my budget armies so I have to manually siege all of these loving Dwarf cities and its hugely tedious.

My "budget" armies, roughly, as able: Warlord, Engineer, Plague Priest, Assassin, 2 catapults, 2 cannon, 2 poison slingers, 0-4 clanrats and 4-8 slaves, 1 each of globadier. Queek's army right now is has the same heroes, 3/3 artillery, 2 poison slingers, 2 poison runners, 3/2 halberd/sword stormvermin, and a doomwheel that I definitely want to drop. Every lord has the +artillery red line, Queek has the +SV line while generic lords usually get +clanrat and +skirmisher lines. Any tweaks people would suggest? Units to add once I get more cash? Units I can definitely drop?

It's hard to say that certain army compositions are good or bad in isolation. There are different ways to go about things depending on your win condition really.

- For a Vortex Campaign, it's best to focus on making Queek a melee monster. I really don't like his blue line (other than Route Marcher obviously, but even that seems kind of redundant given the move buff from the engineer), and his legendary lord branch is full of just utter poo poo. Rend & Slaughter is probably worth getting and maybe Violent Rise to power for the public order bonus (but probably not). He wants the artillery/Stormvermin buffs in his red tree (including the rank 7+ points obviously), but otherwise it's really a case of dumping everything else into combat. He'll do a fine job of 1v1 vs any other lord on the campaign and you only really need to make sure he's not getting stunlocked.

- The AI just can't cope with massed artillery. It likes to do clever weave movements to avoid shots, except it isn't really that clever when the player has taken 10 artillery pieces. I didn't do cheap armies, but core was five catapults/cannons + an engineer. Fill the rest of the army with something sensible. Some stuff will occasionally limp into melee range, so I padded it with Stormvermin and a few skirmishers to protect the flanks. Doomwheels are kind of bad, but they can do a fair job at running over flanking enemy troops if you don't mind paying way over the odds. I don't know why anyone would use slaves for any reason in a proper campaign army (no you don't want to shoot your own troops even as Skaven!).

I haven't tried a domination style campaign with Skaven, so you may want to make different choices if so. I won on VH by only taking around half the continent and murdering the elves/dwarve/lizards in the area. Bit boring, but effective :v:

Beer Hall Putz fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 29, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm pretty done with joinin allies' wars anyhow. Way too many times do I join some ally in some war, where the ally makes peace the turn after and I can't and end up in this extended war of attrition that my ally doesn't even give a poo poo about anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Beer Hall Putz posted:

- The AI just can't cope with massed artillery. It likes to do clever weave movements to avoid shots, except it isn't really that clever when the player has taken 10 artillery pieces. I didn't do cheap armies, but core was five catapults/cannons + an engineer. Fill the rest of the army with something sensible. Some stuff will occasionally limp into melee range, so I padded it with Stormvermin and a few skirmishers to protect the flanks. Doomwheels are kind of bad, but they can do a fair job at running over flanking enemy troops if you don't mind paying way over the odds. I don't know why anyone would use slaves for any reason in a proper campaign army (no you don't want to shoot your own troops even as Skaven!).
Main thing I've been doing with my slaves is putting them way in front of my lines while my smaller, real line is covering my artillery like normal. The slaves are also not deployed in a proper battle line but instead spread out over the entire approach to my main line so that each single slave unit would be thrown against most of their line, then the slave unit behind it would taken the brunt of their whole line, etc, and repeat. While they won't last incredibly long, they slow down the infantry advance quite a bit, draw enemy ranged fire, and give the artillery a lot more time to fire before the lines engage and your more expensive units start drawing fire. They're basically Amyntok nets that cost a unit slot and like 20g/turn in upkeep, which is totally worthwhile. Once they rout they get sent around to flank/rear charge for the morale penalty or to tie up infantry fire and that's about it. I've also found that deploying my poison gutter runner skirmishers up near them helps give the gutter runners more time to fire, gives the slaves a little more staying power, and can further break up the advance by making infantry chase my runners if they don't have good light cav. I've been winning by basically trying to destroy the enemy advance with my artillery before they get to me, which the slaves help do very cheaply. I could use clanrats, but $$$.

Also, in ME, I really need to worry about costs because my fronts are huge right now and having more, cheaper armies that can eke out close wins is a lot more cost effective than a few rampaging doomstacks. That's what Queek's army is for. Its what I had to do in WH1's VH campaigns too, which is why I think the stacking upkeep penalty increase on higher difficulties that was introduced in WH2 is the absolute dumbest poo poo. Building a doomstack is easy, but if you have to actually guard multiple borders at once, you'll need to use more, cheaper, armies.

e: More, cheaper armies also tend to mean more fun fights because they're a bit more even. The only really fun fight I had in my DE Vortex campaign after turn 80ish was when my one (of four) doomstack armies got ambushed by ~4 of the Skaven stacks that spawn halfway through the final ritual. I won, but it was relatively close, but I was also so secure in my position that I had two more near-identical stacks in that area along with another half-stack of mostly dark riders that served as my reinforcement stack. Malekith's stack was off occupying Ulthuan. There's not much in the Vortex campaign that can beat a high-level, high-vet, elite-only, player-made stack, but I'm enjoying having to use sub-optimal units to the best of their ability in ME right now because the fights are more fun in general.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 29, 2017