Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I was just reading someone on the eu4 reddit talking about how funny it was when they converted to protestantism, received the league leadership and immediately kicked off the league war before New Emperor Brabant had any time to prepare, and I doubt they were playing on an old version, so not right now it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jay Rust posted:

Playing as Bohemia, and I kinda accidentally became the emperor. I was planning on becoming Protestant, but will the game let me?

Yes, but you're immediately kicked from the emperor position unless you've already reached the reform making it hereditary.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Pyromancer posted:

Yes, but you're immediately kicked from the emperor position unless you've already reached the reform making it hereditary.

Can confirm this. I'm playing Bohemia right now and lost the emperorship when I converted to protestant.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Since there is a sale going on now, which of the newer expansions are worth picking up?

I have:

Art of War
El Dorado
Wealth of Nations
Res Publica
Conquest of Paradise

Of the rest of the expansions, which ones add the most overall to the game experience?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Several dozen people are going to tell you to get Common Sense and Rights of Man, and you absolutely should.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Rights of Man adds the most overall to the experience, but Common Sense has one feature (development) that's extremely important when you're not playing in Europe.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Cossacks is good, comes in right behind Rights of Man, Art of War, and Common Sense in the must-buy category. Adds in Estates and the ability to set your own diplomatic interests.

Mare Nostrum adds quality of life features for the naval aspect of the game, so it might be worth picking up.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a way to revive estates? Somehow I got rid of the noble estate in a mega-Sweden run, and I have no idea how. Unless Constitutional Monarchy eliminates them? My only options for managing estates are the Burghers and Clerics, and they're the only ones listed on the macro builder's estate tab, too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Arcturas posted:

Unless Constitutional Monarchy eliminates them?

Pretty sure it does. England's unique government (which is basically just constitutional monarchy) definitely does, so I imagine it's the same for that.

In general though you might find an estate disappears if you give it 0 influence, so adding provinces will revive them.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

Is there a way to revive estates? Somehow I got rid of the noble estate in a mega-Sweden run, and I have no idea how. Unless Constitutional Monarchy eliminates them? My only options for managing estates are the Burghers and Clerics, and they're the only ones listed on the macro builder's estate tab, too.

I am pretty sure that the estate will come back when the modifiers that brought its influence below 1% expire. I'd wait about 10-20 years and it should pop back. Stacking negative modifiers for influence for minor estates like Dhimmi can be useful in fringe cases if I am remembering right. I haven't played in a patch though.

Edit: It would help to read the post above me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, constitutional monarchies don't have a nobility estate, which is one of the many reasons why the suck a lot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

is there any talk of EU5 anytime in the medium term?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Paradox is working on like 2-3 "secret" projects, but realistically, none of them should be EU5. CK2 is the older game of this generation and should probably be up for a sequel before EU4 is.

But everyone knows 2 of those 3 secret projects are Victoria 3 and Rome 2.... right? Right? :ohdear:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Thanks for the replies folks, looks like Common Sense and Rights of Man are the ones I'll probably go with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

A few months ago, Paradox said or very strongly hinted at EU5 not even being in the planning stages yet. They're going to continue on EU4 for a while to come.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Phi230 posted:

I don't know a loving thing what's going on in MEIOU and Taxes but by god the map is what is keeping me "playing" this monster

apparently there are pops? Why the hell does it take 500 years to integrate a vassal

Piggybacking on this, I'd love if I could find some well written guide to playing and interacting with MEIOU. I've been intrigued just enough that I'd like to give it a spin, it's giving me that "When Magna Mundi was Good" vibe I got back in the In Nomine days.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

At Paradox Con Johan talked, somewhat at length, about EU5 vs continuing expansions for EU4. What I took from what he had to say was that EU5 would need to have a massive or significant change to the recipe for it to be made. It did not sound like consolidation of DLC and tidying up things and placing a fresh face on it were to be enough. It also sounds like they did not see that coming any time soon. Reading between the lines I would imagine that EU5 is 3 years out. (Just my guess) . I would also hazard a guess that EU5 would revamp either combat, the map, or some other major feature. Perhaps we will get a globe.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Perhaps we will get a globe.

let's try to keep out hopes within the realms of possibility

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't really want a globe to be perfectly honest. Much prefer flat maps. :saddowns:

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
At the end of every game of EU5 a person at Paradox will personally hand-craft a custom globe displaying the state of the map at the end of your game, and deliver it to your home

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Talky posted:

At the end of every game of EU5 a person at Paradox will personally hand-craft a custom globe displaying the state of the map at the end of your game, and deliver it to your home

Pretty good deal on their end, given no one ever finishes a game of EU.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Talky posted:

Of course judging by the number of people that actually finish a game of EU, that will amount to a grand total of like 12 globes sent.

e: :argh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Talky posted:

EU5 will utilize a super new concept called globeboxes to hand out these hand-crafted globes. You can buy them with paradox ducats (earned in-game by completing achievements) but can be bought with real money if you just want to get a globe now!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnoHito posted:

Of course judging by the number of people that actually finish a game of EU, that will amount to a grand total of like 12 globes sent.

e: :argh:

Especially considering that when a game is actually finished it's usually just going to be one color with the word RYUKU across the whole globe.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Drone posted:

Paradox is working on like 2-3 "secret" projects, but realistically, none of them should be EU5. CK2 is the older game of this generation and should probably be up for a sequel before EU4 is.

But everyone knows 2 of those 3 secret projects are Victoria 3 and Rome 2.... right? Right? :ohdear:

Vicky 3 is imo the most likely sequel game to be made. CK2 and EU4 are both very well entrenched in the "infinite DLC" business model that PDox has adopted for it's grand strategy titles.

Xinder posted:

Especially considering that when a game is actually finished it's usually just going to be one color with the word RYUKU across the whole globe.

Also a lot of people perfectly recreating Rome's borders and then running out the clock.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
EU4 was released more than four years ago, in summer of 2013.

It's absolutely a good game but many of us who have been playing since launch are getting tired of the DLC model.

It's time for EU5 or at least a summary expansion + sale which ties together all the previous DLCs.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Poil posted:

I don't really want a globe to be perfectly honest. Much prefer flat maps. :saddowns:

With a globe it would be trivial to have flat maps in different projections!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

can't wait to play eu5 using some goofy-rear end projection

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Apologies if this has already been asked, but what are the must have DLCs for this game? I bought this in a bundle a year or two ago which included a few DLCs, but haven't played it and there seem to be a bunch more now. I've played some CK2 and a bunch of Stellaris so I have a little experience with Paradox games if that matters. I have a Fylkirate lategame in CK2 I'd like to eventually upgrade to EU4.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

metasynthetic posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what are the must have DLCs for this game? I bought this in a bundle a year or two ago which included a few DLCs, but haven't played it and there seem to be a bunch more now. I've played some CK2 and a bunch of Stellaris so I have a little experience with Paradox games if that matters. I have a Fylkirate lategame in CK2 I'd like to eventually upgrade to EU4.

Art of War, Common Sense, and Rights of Man. See this very page for details

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's time for a new thread. The OP hasn't been updated in over two years and it's about five expansions out of date.

Also the title is dubious advice.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Art of War, Common Sense, and Rights of Man. See this very page for details

It's me, I'm the terrible poster just ctrl-f'ing for "dlc". Thank you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fister Roboto posted:

I think it's time for a new thread. The OP hasn't been updated in over two years and it's about five expansions out of date.

Also the title is dubious advice.

Yeah, a new expansion is just about to come out too so it's a good time for it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So you're saying someone has to do what Paradox wont, make a single item that ties all the DLC together?

It is time for EU5, of course they wont make it as long as people buy mediocre EU4 DLCs. If they need a feature to sell EU5, make it random world generation and non-static trade flow.

fake edit: don't remember ever being so unenthusiastic about an EU4 dlc release. It even coincides with my week off but I doubt I'll play at all.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Tahirovic posted:

So you're saying someone has to do what Paradox wont, make a single item that ties all the DLC together?

This is my plan, but its a long way out on its own.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Prav posted:

can't wait to play eu5 using some goofy-rear end projection

Some people take map staring really seriously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
How many large releasable states with unique NIs are there on map that don't exist in 1444? The first one that comes to mind for me is Punjab and I think some of the states around the Deccan might have unique ideas as well. There's also all of the Ruthenian states in Lithuania and Poland.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbh the reason I was asking about eu5 was a similar revamping and consolidation that happens in all their new versions. I was trying to get back into eu4 after around a year and realized I didn't enjoy the massive number of systems present anymore. I much preferred the game right after the... Art of war? Compared to what we have now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pellisworth posted:

EU4 was released more than four years ago, in summer of 2013.

It's absolutely a good game but many of us who have been playing since launch are getting tired of the DLC model.

It's time for EU5 or at least a summary expansion + sale which ties together all the previous DLCs.

As much as I think the DLC model (which borders on software-as-a-service) is not a bad thing, I think it's going to bite Paradox in the rear end real hard when it comes time to make the next sequels for the current DLC-focused games (CK2, EU4, HOI4). Granted that time is probably several years down the road, but at some point the Clausewitz engine will need a replacement, and Paradox will be forced to somehow pare back all of these features into a single $39 title, which will be impossible to do.

Like Johan said, the only real way forward with sequels to those titles is if there is a complete sea change in their design philosophies, which... kinda can't happen very easily in the strategy market. I mean, look at Civ 5 -> Civ 6 as a good example, with tons of fans of the series saying that they recommend sticking with the previous version, even to this day. And Civ 5 only got 2 expansions, where CK2 has had 14 and EU4 has 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Tbh the reason I was asking about eu5 was a similar revamping and consolidation that happens in all their new versions. I was trying to get back into eu4 after around a year and realized I didn't enjoy the massive number of systems present anymore. I much preferred the game right after the... Art of war? Compared to what we have now.

I do still think that the game is better now (with the exception of the parts of the map which fall into the Ming Exclusion Zone) due to AI and other general gameplay improvements, but the actual DLC content has been getting less interesting as the new systems are becoming more and more 'bolted on' feeling. Like, development was a total rethink of base tax, and estates were a completely new concept in how you manage your provinces (though in actual gameplay they end up not being terribly exciting), wheras ages are literally just another "build up currency and exchange it for bonuses" system and edicts are essentially slightly tweaked province decisions from EU3.

• Locked thread