Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Node posted:

Okay, it looks like for online, you need to pay Lord British real money for stuff in the addon store. This was as I expected:

If you want to play in offline mode, there are ways to get those items in game:

I didn't know that, but this game would be pretty dull in offline (single player) mode. Like playing UO by yourself. Insert joke about the game being dull in multiplayer too.

You cannot currently have a house in the offline game. You must purchase a lot deed in their store - for a $100 minimum, smallest possible house space - and use it in your offline game. Without that, you cannot place a house.

Yes, they've said you "will" be able to get the lot deed offline; however, there's no way to do so currently.

They want you to buy their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Thursday Next posted:

You cannot currently have a house in the offline game. You must purchase a lot deed in their store - for a $100 minimum, smallest possible house space - and use it in your offline game. Without that, you cannot place a house.

Yes, they've said you "will" be able to get the lot deed offline; however, there's no way to do so currently.

They want you to buy their stuff.

I'm guessing being able to buy houses offline is low on the priority list, if at all, since buying offline items in-game doesn't get them any money, so yeah.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Isn't offline still online?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's real offline but it also is 100% neglected, every single release for the last year has them pushing back making offline viable as a play mode another month

deadbeatsaint
Dec 1, 2013

Percelus posted:

i am sure everyone still playing this "game" is really excited about the oktoberfest themed fundraiser :shepface:

Its honestly been this ^^^^^ for a while now. Granted, there have been some graphics updates here and there (e.g. differentiation down south), and storyline work. Its sloooooooooooooooooooooow going. Jesus.

It also doesn't help that they keep breaking poo poo that was working fine on regular quests. Great example is when you're trying to hunt down that cityguard whose a murderer (I think he killed a kid from a guard tower, can't remember now). Quest used to work fine (although at one point you have to go back to the guard station and talk to the captain of the guard in a way that is abso-loving-lutely not intuitive at all) and then they jacked it up. My brother and I wasted like 6 hours trying to get it done one day and that basically killed it for us.

Going to wait a while to jump back in.

Also the deed/lot raffles are a joke now, its ridiculous and embarrassing, they need to cut that poo poo out.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
For those of us who are wise enough not to play this game, please tell us more about the deed/lot raffles.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

come out you fat old traitor I am not done with you

ima go full Hellmoo on your everything

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The raffles were like fine I guess, I agreed with their point of view that it's probably the least-worst way to handle land once the game is live. The idea was that you paid in-game currency for raffle tickets and each month they'd raffle off some % of the outstanding land deeds, like 25%. Deeds had a limited time (like 30 days or something) to place before they vanished and once placed you had to pay in-game currency as rent. So getting and maintaining land would be the main gold sink. The idea is player churn would result in rent going unpaid, deeds re-entering the raffle, and eventually the system would hit some kind of equilibrium. This all seems like it should work imo. The problem is a few things:

- A massive amount of land was claimed with rent-free deeds which means that land, at the moment, will never re-enter the raffle. They claimed that at some point they'd have some system for freeing it if (when) those players stopped coming around, but last i heard nothing had even been suggested let alone implemented.
- Since rent-free deeds got head start on land grab, all the best, most contested land is the land that has rent-free deeds on it.
- There are two tiers of raffle tickets, but they're place-anywhere and player-owned-towns (which is the cheaper kind). However, land quality is much, much more stratified than that. There are 4 regions and one of them has the vast majority (probably at this point, all of) the player economy. Moving between two regions is intentionally a pain in the rear end to try and add a labor cost to porting things between regions, to make that part of the player economy. But there's no good reason to ever leave largest, central region, all commodities can be obtained there with zero difficulty, so the actual impact is there's effectively only one region and it's full. But the "25% of deeds" being auctioned off each month includes empty space in other regions, where nobody wants to be. So player-owned-town slots in the main region are, in practice, worth more than place-anywhere slots in other regions, but not only are they not priced that way, but there's no way of knowing if there are slots available in the main region, how many there are, or where they are.
- The only thing you can really do with a deed is have a cool looking house. There was some kind of NPC system where you can place NPCs on your land, but the number you can place is extremely low and they never really fleshed out things the NPCs could do for you, so in practice, all they can do is sell stuff out front of your house. This is functionally an auction house that your buyers need to manually find, including the auction house fees (except also if you participated in the kickstarter, you got a 0-fee NPC which is worth an assload of money, they were selling for hundreds of thousands of gold when I played). To make this relevant at all, they limited the number of things you can sell at once at any auction house, so at least you can sell more stuff simultaneously. Just to be absolutely clear about this, their main gold sink gave absolutely no material benefit to the player.
- However, because auction houses aren't shared, players all go to a single auction house in a single city in the central region (owl's head) because of network effects. The result of this is that you can't realistically sell anything if you don't have land in owl's head, because nobody will go to whatever town you live in. Since owl's head land is high-demand, it was all snapped up on day 1 of the land rush so every single plot is filled with 0-rent deeds that will never go on raffle. They are all selling basic equipment at insane markups in hopes of tricking people into paying three times as much as they would on the AH that's 3 feet away because there's literally nothing else worth doing, economy-wise, in this dead game.
- Despite this insane autists still were grinding up insane amounts of cash for raffle tickets to try and turn west anglia or whatever loving place into the "new owl's head", it was kind of pathetic.
- Also people sharking deeds for a profit
- Even if you get a single POT deed at the low low price of 5k gold because you won the raffle (which, in their defense, wasn't unrealistic at all) you still have the "HOA problem" that's been mentioned in this thread where your neighbors are 3 lighthouses and a steampunk contraption created to commemorate the fact that Star Citizen is never coming out.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 24, 2017

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
There is also the fact that the first few raffles had far far more deeds up for grabs than any of the current ones, and there was no restriction at the time on how many deeds you could win. So there is one example where a single player walked away with 70+ deeds or something from a single raffle drawing. Using gold farmed from zones that have since been nerfed into oblivion in terms of loot.

As with many things in this game, some people pointed out what the most likely outcome would be (in the face of the usual diehard temple guards screaming "our gods are infallible!") but they went ahead and did it anyway. And only fixed it to be one prize per account per draw later on - presumably because now there are only 10-20 deeds a month in the raffle, it would look pretty bad to have the same half dozen players walking away with all of them.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Ok, that is amazing. Thank you for those sweet land grab & raffle write ups.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Honestly if the goal is to make it an infinite gold sink, alloiwng players to sink millions to get All The Deeds was probably the better idea. At least that gold's out of the economy now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
lol at any idiots that even bought this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

Edgy and original opinion bro.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

they didn't buy it, they backed it, and richard garriott stole the goon money and used popular mmo columnist as PR puppet to fool even more goons into his scam, even posters with integrity; but what the scammers did not know is that by scamming goons they signed their deathwarrant, for goon money is sacred, and node is on his way to their houses in full Avatar cosplay uniform to kill them and eat their beating hearts and the hearts of their loved ones thx

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Mr. Pickles posted:

they didn't buy it, they backed it, and richard garriott stole the goon money and used popular mmo columnist as PR puppet to fool even more goons into his scam, even posters with integrity; but what the scammers did not know is that by scamming goons they signed their deathwarrant, for goon money is sacred, and node is on his way to their houses in full Avatar cosplay b0n3d3wd uniform to kill them and eat their beating hearts and the hearts of their loved ones thx

Fixed

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Behead those who insult Shroud of the Avatar

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Strong words from the wildstar raid leader

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Hey man, it takes one to know one.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
my offer of :10bux: still stands, richard

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I'll trade my pledge for some hydrocodone and a bottle of absinthe.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

will this game finally be the embarrassment that ends richard garriott's career or will it just take lum the mad's?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Percelus posted:

will this game finally be the embarrassment that ends richard garriott's career or will it just take lum the mad's?

:lol:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think Lum's had much of a career to end. At least not since he went to work for Mythic.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I went to see a fortune teller and she told me that Shroud will fail and Richard will then join the dev creative team at RSI.

Also if someone cuts off the rat tail he withers into a pile like the witch in Wizard of Oz.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"What a persistent world, what a persistent world!"

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
I imagine when everything does eventually fold, the ultimate "sale" would be selling the IP and server upkeep to one of the whales. I mean some of them have already spent tens of thousands. Reminds me of that old quote about diplomacy and selling it in a way that you tell them to go to hell and they look forward to the trip.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

some serious owns goin on in here

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

my offer of :10bux: still stands, richard

yeah. that i'd do. Just like I did RSI for 25 euros....wait

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

CoffeeBooze posted:

I dont think Lum's had much of a career to end. At least not since he went to work for Mythic.

he can be co-pilot next time Richard Garriott goes to space and his company gets dissolved

:10bux: for a vial of Lum's blood

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does lum still post in this thread

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MMOs are dead and are replaced by games like pubg

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

No, Lum now prefers to post on the notorious den of pedophiles and neo-nazis known as Reddit. I suppose dealing with those folks is less stressful than discussing his work.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

also MMOs were killed by DOTA games long ago and now DOTA clones are getting killed by PUBG style games MMOs have been dead a long time

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CoffeeBooze posted:

also MMOs were killed by DOTA games long ago and now DOTA clones are getting killed by PUBG style games MMOs have been dead a long time

MMOs weren't killed by pubg and dota. PVP focused mmos were. FF14 and WoW still have crazy player counts that rival the biggest new AAA releases.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Who is playing WoW at this point is really interesting to me. I know a whole lot of people that played WoW, but absolutely no one that still plays it. Obviously there are still a whole lot of people playing but I cant figure out who they are. I wish there was some demographic information on the game's playerbase or something because Im really curious just who the 6,000,000+ people still playing are.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Ahhh, two of my best friends still do and another friends wife does. From what I've heard of their raid group the demographic is pretty wide.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, when I played WoW definitely had a pretty broad reach. I suppose its just like it was when I played WoW, the people who play dont really play other games so they are kind on insular. That and the simple fact is there are more people that have played WoW than are playing at this point which is pretty insane when you consider how many subscribers the game has even now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Byolante posted:

MMOs weren't killed by pubg and dota. PVP focused mmos were. FF14 and WoW still have crazy player counts that rival the biggest new AAA releases.

I think the next take on pvp MMOs is gonna be some sorta take on destiny's playbook

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

Problem is those two games have had a long time to polish the game/build the base. At this point if you start a new MMO and you haven't got your poo poo at least somewhat as polished as what has already existed for a decade... welp you are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah people don't compare Hot New MMO to any new MMO with all the bugs and problems, they compare it to Warcraft or FFXIV or SWTOR and go "Why should I pay you for this buggy launch when there's 10 years of content and all my friends already in this existing game?"