Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm in a losing fight against the Scourge and I'm just praying the Shroud sends me a solution... This is my first spiritualist run through and it has been a wild ride.

Beware monkey paws bearing gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm in a losing fight against the Scourge and I'm just praying the Shroud sends me a solution... This is my first spiritualist run through and it has been a wild ride.

Scourge is insanely difficult now with planets having 8k hit points. It's nearly impossible to bomb planets and escape before 3 120k fleets warp in and murder you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

You get a 25% discount for docking ships, 35% if you have Crew Quarters on the starport. I think 50% total through a combination of tech/modules would make more of a difference, mostly to help with overbuilding a defensive fleet for pacifist empires.

I would probably make it more like 40% default, upgradeable to 70% via specializing the spaceport as a fleet base (assuming dedicating all the slots to it on the new spaceport mechanics) and increase fleet upkeep costs, particularly energy, to make the actual docked cost about what it is now, cheaper for a specialized port and a bit more expensive otherwise. Then add a scaling modifier like you get with FTL times based on how far away from friendly space you are, up to about +30% cost.

So based, a fleet is fine, but on deployment it's really expensive and will drain your coffers so you have to think about when you go to war. It makes throwing huge fleets around difficult but easier for defensive wars, especially if the enemy is trying to take targets well behind your lines. It also would mean with the new starbases you would have identifiable fleet bases that fleets have to stay near when not at war, meaning you can predict more easily where the enemy will have to come from in the event of an attack, and also making you decide where you want to base your fleets.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Artificer posted:

Energy torpedoes like the Neutron torpedoes are quite good, since they're immune to PD. None of the other empires in the two games I've played had particularly stellar success with the other types of missiles though.

What is their actual role in the combat metagame?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've never thought about it before, but assuming the AI doesn't get free ship upkeep (which wouldn't be out of character for a strategy game), you could really screw over an opponent by trading him 30 years of some extra strategic resources & some minerals in exchange for all his stockpiled energy right before you war dec him. Suddenly can't afford to take his ships out of drydock, would work even better if he was small enough to annex so any deals got cancelled. Or do diplomatic trades get cancelled when at war anyway? I always assumed they were just suspended to prevent players abusing the AI by getting a 'loan' right before attacking the bank.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Baron Porkface posted:

What is their actual role in the combat metagame?

Dunno. Don't they have decent stat and damage boosts for any situation? Probably a jack of all trades sort of thing. Extra distraction for bomber/fighter wings. They also don't miss I think if they aren't shot by PD.

Nevets posted:

I've never thought about it before, but assuming the AI doesn't get free ship upkeep (which wouldn't be out of character for a strategy game), you could really screw over an opponent by trading him 30 years of some extra strategic resources & some minerals in exchange for all his stockpiled energy right before you war dec him. Suddenly can't afford to take his ships out of drydock, would work even better if he was small enough to annex so any deals got cancelled. Or do diplomatic trades get cancelled when at war anyway? I always assumed they were just suspended to prevent players abusing the AI by getting a 'loan' right before attacking the bank.

Once the money is in your bank, it doesn't just get up and leave. Trades continue when at war, even long term ones.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

what is the significance of "doesn't miss" in the long run of things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Energy torpedoes aren't really torpedoes, they're just really slow anti shield guns. They can miss quite easily as they have no tracking though they are accurate otherwise.

Missiles are just generally quite versatile. Normal torpedoes bypass shields

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

what is the significance of "doesn't miss" in the long run of things?

Mouse over the accuracy in your next fleet fight.

30 or 50% accuracy is pretty common.

So "doesn't miss" can mean the weapon punches well above its listed DPS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't DPS take into account accuracy?

Cos that'd be real easy to program in.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Augh, somehow despite me being 153/102 on my fleet cap, the nearest empire is OVERWHEMING compared to me and has turned me into his vassal. There's no option to rebel, how does this work? Do I need to insult them?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

gowb posted:

Augh, somehow despite me being 153/102 on my fleet cap, the nearest empire is OVERWHEMING compared to me and has turned me into his vassal. There's no option to rebel, how does this work? Do I need to insult them?

if they war declared you to force you into a vassal you have to wait a few years before you can wage another war against them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Playing rogue servitors for the first time, I took the unity perk which converts organic sanctuaries to organic paradises. Then I invaded a primitive world, but all their pops were shoved into sanctuaries instead of paradises? Is this a bug?

EDIT: Turns out if you move the pops they switch to paradises

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 29, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Theme for next dev diary is "FTL"

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/924598287944077312

eta: Oh, whoops, this was announced at the end of the last dev diary. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Theme for next dev diary is "FTL"

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/924598287944077312

eta: Oh, whoops, this was announced at the end of the last dev diary. :v:
They're replacing the entire game with FTL Advanced Edition.

This guess is probably as accurate as anything I or anyone else have posted so far.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There is a lot of angst in that thread. Moving the game away from having multiple FTL types at the beginning is a good thing. I can't go back from hyperlanes only after trying it. Hopefully this can be paired with constructable wormholes so moving a fleet within an empire is less of an arse.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't DPS take into account accuracy?

Cos that'd be real easy to program in.

It varies by what you're shooting at, so it's less "easy" and more "impossible" to summarise in one number.

Artificer posted:

Energy torpedoes like the Neutron torpedoes are quite good, since they're immune to PD. None of the other empires in the two games I've played had particularly stellar success with the other types of missiles though.

Edit: The fallen empire who I beat up for independence just won a war against a smaller neighbor and vassalized and humiliated it....but it also gave me a system with a colony on it? I wasn't even in the war and I'm not on good terms with either combatant.

Oh my god it must've had giving me, its previously favorite satellite, the system in its war demands since that war started before my war for independence. Oh my God the warscore system is *busted.*

I just got through a war with a FE where all its demands on my planets... were to people who were no longer vassals so in the war demands screen there was a lot of ??? for the icons.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Aethernet posted:

Moving the game away from having multiple FTL types at the beginning is a good thing.

No, it's not.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This Hyperlane-only bullshit makes me think the world would have been better if the Master of Orion series had never existed. And I say this as someone who is playing a Hyperlane-only playthrough right now.

It's like people are addicted to lanes.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

No, it's not.

Have you considered.... that you might be wrong??!?!?

Anyway, Fanatic Xenophile is surprisingly fun. The bonuses it provides mean that, rather than you loving everyone else, everyone else loves you. This makes it great for higher difficulties, as you can nearly guarantee a sugardaddy to look after you until you've leveraged whatever gimick you're using for that run. It also makes Pacifist play quite easy, as liberated empires will love you right back and jump at being in your mega-federation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Libluini posted:

This Hyperlane-only bullshit makes me think the world would have been better if the Master of Orion series had never existed. And I say this as someone who is playing a Hyperlane-only playthrough right now.

It's like people are addicted to lanes.

Neither MOO1 or 2 had lanes? No one played 3. :confused:

They were all 'warp' all the time. Wait... no... you could eventually build instant travel gates, I think.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

It's been like ten years and I'm still a vassal, still can't declare war. Does my overlord have to be at peace? Do I need to swap out of pacifist?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Fintilgin posted:

They were all 'warp' all the time. Wait... no... you could eventually build instant travel gates, I think.

Yes, you could build stargates, and MOO2 had wormholes that connected distant parts of the map as though they had gates, but only a few at most in the entire map.

But yes, hyperlanes was not a thing in MOO (can't remember MOO3, think I only put a few hours into that one).

Ascendancy was the first space game I played that used star lanes exclusively.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gowb posted:

It's been like ten years and I'm still a vassal, still can't declare war. Does my overlord have to be at peace? Do I need to swap out of pacifist?

Are you a fanatic pacifist? If so, yeah you can never declare war, get ethos shifting.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Are you a fanatic pacifist? If so, yeah you can never declare war, get ethos shifting.

Regular, swapped out of it and no dice. Apparently I can't declare independence since I'm in a defensive war on his side against another empire. Now I've got to politely wait until he's done. So dumb.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Duodecimal posted:

Yes, you could build stargates, and MOO2 had wormholes that connected distant parts of the map as though they had gates, but only a few at most in the entire map.

But yes, hyperlanes was not a thing in MOO (can't remember MOO3, think I only put a few hours into that one).

MOO3 had Starlanes as the main FTL method. There were wormholes, but they were basically longer and faster starlanes.

It was technically possible to 'go offroad' - ignoring starlane paths by travelling to another system at sublight speed, but that took dozens of turns, rather than only a couple. There was little reason to do it unless you got hemmed into a single spiral arm

Lanes apparently make things much easier for the AI by limiting the choices available to it, and the player. I think its a price worth playing to avoid making game much easier/crippling the AI

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Splicer posted:

They're replacing the entire game with FTL Advanced Edition.

This guess is probably as accurate as anything I or anyone else have posted so far.

My guess is every time you have ship to ship combat, you resolve it with a battle using FTL (for every single ship)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My guess is every time you have ship to ship combat, you resolve it with a battle using FTL (for every single ship)

Just set all of your KAs and Tach lances to autofire on weapons. Easy money.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

Ah gently caress, I keep forgetting the older games were different from the third one.

Of course, this makes it even weirder, what other games besides MO3 used the star lane system then? I remember Sword of the Stars having some races use a star lane system, and I think that's it? Are MO3 and SotS the only two games fueling this nostalgia for lanes?

Tigey posted:

MOO3 had Starlanes as the main FTL method. There were wormholes, but they were basically longer and faster starlanes.

It was technically possible to 'go offroad' - ignoring starlane paths by travelling to another system at sublight speed, but that took dozens of turns, rather than only a couple. There was little reason to do it unless you got hemmed into a single spiral arm

Technically, "offroad" doesn't exist in MO3, it's just that not all star lanes are visible at the beginning of the game -there's an event that's supposed to fire during gameplay to occasionally make one of them "visible", which in gameplay-terms means "visible to the player" and "faster". A mod that I'm using restored that function so you sometimes get a "new" star lane.

So even though the player may think that there are wormholes, star lanes and warp-like travel, under the hood it's all star lanes, all the way down. The only differences are player-visibility and travel speed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Libluini posted:

Ah gently caress, I keep forgetting the older games were different from the third one.

Of course, this makes it even weirder, what other games besides MO3 used the star lane system then? I remember Sword of the Stars having some races use a star lane system, and I think that's it? Are MO3 and SotS the only two games fueling this nostalgia for lanes?

The idea that people only like hyperlanes for nostalgia reasons is your hypothesis. Perhaps you should revise it, especially given that people are arguing for hyperlanes for gameplay reasons and not because they're cool or whatever

Libluini posted:

Technically, "offroad" doesn't exist in MO3, it's just that not all star lanes are visible at the beginning of the game -there's an event that's supposed to fire during gameplay to occasionally make one of them "visible", which in gameplay-terms means "visible to the player" and "faster". A mod that I'm using restored that function so you sometimes get a "new" star lane.

So even though the player may think that there are wormholes, star lanes and warp-like travel, under the hood it's all star lanes, all the way down. The only differences are player-visibility and travel speed.

Why does it matter what they are under the hood? People care about gameplay, not some kind of programmatical purity

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 29, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The idea that people only like hyperlanes for nostalgia reasons is your hypothesis. Perhaps you should revise it, especially given that people are arguing for hyperlanes for gameplay reasons and not because they're cool or whatever

I've read those reasons many times and they don't make sense to me, so what is left after that? After I've discarded all logical reasons, nostalgia or other emotional poo poo is the only stuff left, after all.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why does it matter what they are under the hood? People care about gameplay, not some kind of programmatical purity

It matters because it's fascinating to see how those old games were programmed. And what the hell is programmatical purity? Is that really a thing, or did you made it up?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I hope Wiz is actually deleting only hyperlanes, since I think that's the only one people seem to want to force on everyone else.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Libluini posted:

I've read those reasons many times and they don't make sense to me, so what is left after that?

What was your problem with "I can never catch an enemy fleet if they can be heading for 6 different systems, and hyper lane helps me know where an enemy fleet has to go," again?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope wiz stands strong and makes the drastic movement/fleet changes needed to mesh with their long term improved vision for the game regardless of how people complain. I'm also sure paradox has metrics for what types of maps people play and probably see like 50%+ of people play hyperlane only and of the ones who don't only 10% think the lackluster implemented unbalanced 3-mode system is some core creative feature of the game.

I mean hell there's people who don't want a ground combat gut and replace because they LOVE the current attachment system. "I love spending 30 min giving every defending army an attachment, it's role playing!!!"

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

ulmont posted:

What was your problem with "I can never catch an enemy fleet if they can be heading for 6 different systems, and hyper lane helps me know where an enemy fleet has to go," again?

Or that hyperlanes are the only type that allow any sort of strategic depth?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The majority of players like the same lame niche I do, and not the more interesting default setting. Yes, this is how it is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wooper posted:

The majority of players like the same lame niche I do, and not the more interesting default setting. Yes, this is how it is.

The default is very lame

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine some of what Wiz is trying to do with this stuff is make it so that there are strategic depths in the game for reason other than the Alderson Point geography. Personally I think the game should be set up to have zero habitable planets; this will assist both play speed and provide an interestingly concise set of choices for the player and the AI. By giving zero resources and spawns, a truly fair start and even game will be created.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Libluini posted:

I've read those reasons many times and they don't make sense to me, so what is left after that?

The possibility that other people like something you don't makes less sense than nostalgia for at most two games, one of which is supposedly not very popular and the other of which is actually not a hyperlanes-only game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure something is getting fixed/changed but here's something I think is super weird in the game and has always been this way. Fleet Intelligence.

I can click on an enemy fleet and get its exact orders. "Attacking 4th fleet" "Entering Orbit of Buttbowl Prime" and use that information to actually head-off and catch fleets. In fact this information is absolutely critical to know what's going on in a war because its not like ships need to drive over to the correct lane/warp point to travel, there's nothing on the map that gives any indication on where things are moving to. Usually this works, but sometimes you get fleets with orders like "following 2nd combat husk" or "merging with fartfleet" and then you have to search the map and find those fleets, then see what they are doing, which can also sometimes be following something or merging with something. Often at critical moments where you know a fleet only has 2 options on where it can go, it's charging up its FTL, but you have no clue where it's going because its publicly stated orders are not clear.

First of all its crazy we have such good military intel we know the exact orders of enemy fleets, even if their destination is 20 jumps away, we can see exactly what they plan to do. Yet at the same time there's often situations where we can't tell what a fleet is doing right this moment, we can't tell which direction the fleet is about to go. When a fleet has a general movement order you'll get the "entering hyperlane to blogs bane" under the order, showing both the long term final order and what the fleet is doing this moment. But with merge, attack, and follow orders you don't get the sub-order information. This goes for your own fleets too.

The game really needs to make it more clear at a glance, hopefully from the galactic map, where a fleet is going. If a fleet is just chilling in the system it would have a normal icon, if a fleet is charging it's hyperdrives give it a little FTL icon above it AND a direction arrow showing it's immediate destination. That should be information observable by the enemy. But at the same time take away our ability to see exactly what the enemy is doing. If I know the fleet is locked onto chasing my "1st Distraction fleet" it means I can game the AI and send the fleet its chasing off somewhere else while my real fleet does something else. It means we know exactly where the enemy is going to attack when we see orders like "entering orbit of Earth", we know that fleet is heading to earth to try to bombard/invade it and can try to pump out a ton of defense troops or even build a station or two in time.

• Locked thread