Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

How does some one new to 40k start building an army list?

I have decided on Raven Guard if that matters.

Look at their tactics, play style. Begin with the basics, maybe the patrol detachment, and slowly expand around the strengths you discover merging your play style with the chapter tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, what do you want in your army?

This is literally the best advice you can get. Unless you're going for a tourney viable army just pick the units you like the look of/feel would be thematicly appropriate and run with it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

"chapter tactics"
behemoth: reroll failed charges
Kraken: can charge after falling back
Gorgon: reroll 1s to hit for fight phase
jormungandr: always have cover bonus (i'm not sure if i read this right)
hydra: reroll misses against units with less models during fight phase
kronos: reroll 1s to hit for shooting, IF the unit doesnt move
Leviathan: looks to be the same as salamander tactic but i'm not 100% sure

Neurothrope is now HQ, a character and no longer part of a zoanthrope unit. zoanthropes within 6" of a neurothrope reroll 1s for psychic tests. the spirit leech thing now only heals 1 wound for a zoanthrope unit withint 6"

here's the bit lots and lots of ppl will go nuts about
there are now 3 seperate carnifex entries. 1.) Carnifex 2.) Screamer killer 3.) Thornback
carnifex including 2x monstrous scything talons clock in total at 83 pts.. the 2 pairs of monstrous scything talons for carnifexes are 15 pts, 1 pair is 14 pts. yes.. i know. dont ask me why.
there are individual upgrades for basic carnifexes. +1BS, +1 attack on the charge, -1 to hit from enemy shooting. on the charge carnifexes and screamer killers now get +1 WS on top of the current battering ram rule
screamer killers come stock with "bio plasmic scream" which is 0 points, 12" assault 6(not sure on the number), S7 ap-1, 1damage. screamer killers come stock with 2 monstrous scything talons as well. 90 pts in total
dont have much info on the thornback other than at the end of combat roll d6 for each enemy unit in combat with it. on 6 deal 1 mortal wound

quote:

Psychic scream, WC5, Targets nearest enemy within 18" does d3 mortal wounds. if the target is a psyker, also roll 2d6. if the value is higher than the enemy psyker's leadership, the enemy psyker loses 1 spell at random

paroxysm WC5, target enemy unit within 12" of the psyker fights last. (there's a whole big rear end block of text here talking about exceptions and what not)

*cant remember the name* target unit within 36" of the psyker essentially gains synapse

here's a bunch of random (please do not swear)

old one is is now 9 wounds. 200 pts. hits of 6 generate one additional attack. can be equipped with a scything talons relic that +1s ap-3, 3dmg, +1 attack. uses behemoth warlord trait
swarmlord is t7, 12w, 4++. his blade parry makes it 3++. no other notable change i think. uses leviathan warlord trait

hivefleet gorgon warlord trait: enemy units within 3" of the warlord at the end of the turn take 1 mortal wound each on a 4plus
hivefleet behemoth warlord trait: on 6's to wound he deals an additional damage
hivefleet leviathan warlord trait: after deployment but before start of game, redeploy your warlord

tyrannocyte is now 100 pts. 5pts for each deathspitter.

hivefleet kronos stratagem: 2cp, when an enemy psyker attempts to cast a spell, make it use only 1 dice to roll
hivefleet behemoth stratagem: 2cp, choose on unit. roll a d6 for each charging model. for each 6 deal 1 mortal wound to the enemy unit it charged. for monsters its on a roll of 2+

2cp stratagem: choose one unit. at the end of the shooting phase it shoots again. (cannot target monsters)

maleceptors total pointage including wargear is 172. T7, 12W

quote:

tyranofex is 185 pts.
rupture cannon is 47 or 49.
rupture cannon profile is heavy 3, s10 ap-3 d6 damage. thats all. no more funky "if it hits both..blablabla"

exocrine with all wargear is 210 or something like that. minor points decrease
venomthropes and zoans are still fielded as units of 3
venomthropes when in grp of 3 also affect monsters. when in a grp of 6, the aura becomes 6".
the carnifex biomorpth that gives -1 to hit to enemy shooters does not stack with venomthrope. said biomorph is 10 pts.

genestealers remain the same. but have an option of getting +1 armour but they lose swift and deadly. (wtf GW)

there is a relic for any character that gives either +1S, +1A or +1T during fight phase. roll dice to see which buff
haruspex is something around 220 pts with wargear. not sure if any rules changed

xtothez fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 29, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:siren:Attention all AusGoons!:siren:

I've scheduled an eBay listing to begin this Monday morning for a lot of 75 used Citadel paints and washes. They're in decent condition and if you want to save some kind of money it'll be there.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Everything sounds pretty good so far aside from the psychic powers which seem a touch underwhelming. I’m quite glad Hive Kraken has a pretty killer trait so I don’t have to awkwardly declare all my red and bone models something else.

Considering the Swarmlord can appear anywhere the Hive Mind sees fit, it seems odd to limit it to a specific Hive Fleet, but I guess I can just put those points into more carnifices. :getin:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

PierreTheMime posted:

Everything sounds pretty good so far aside from the psychic powers which seem a touch underwhelming. I’m quite glad Hive Kraken has a pretty killer trait so I don’t have to awkwardly declare all my red and bone models something else.

Considering the Swarmlord can appear anywhere the Hive Mind sees fit, it seems odd to limit it to a specific Hive Fleet, but I guess I can just put those points into more carnifices. :getin:

Jormungandr seems to be the best Fleet by a significant margin but Kraken is also powerful. The changes seem good but I'm not sure if they're enough. The rupture cannon buff is nice but a Tyrannofex still clocks in at just under 235 points for three BS4+ shots that the target will probably still have an armor save against. At least it's very durable.

I think it's likely that the bio-plasmic scream is Assault D6 rather than Assault 6. Carnifexes still don't seem very impressive. We'll have to see everything in context; a lot is obviously hinging on unit synergies and special rules.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
They should really alter that "can't shoot characters under 10 wounds" rule so that it only applies to characters with the infantry keyword because it's really loving stupid that you can't shoot at some of the big Tyranid monsters hiding behind rippers

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well, what do you want in your army?

Primaris Reivers
Primaris Hellblasters
Primaris Intercessors

Tarantula ?
Primaris Repulsor
Snipers ?

OhDearGodNo posted:

Look at their tactics, play style. Begin with the basics, maybe the patrol detachment, and slowly expand around the strengths you discover merging your play style with the chapter tactics.

I am reading up on the tactics, I like the idea of dropping in behind or close to the enemy.

SteelMentor posted:

This is literally the best advice you can get. Unless you're going for a tourney viable army just pick the units you like the look of/feel would be thematicly appropriate and run with it.

I live in BFE and dont know if anyone even lives close enough to play, but I have a close friend with a millions dudes and Orks who I can fight when we get together.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I did a land raider! holy poo poo was working on it exhausting tho, just so much stuff to cover.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ropes4u posted:

Primaris Reivers
Primaris Hellblasters
Primaris Intercessors

Tarantula ?
Primaris Repulsor
Snipers ?

I am reading up on the tactics, I like the idea of dropping in behind or close to the enemy.

I live in BFE and dont know if anyone even lives close enough to play, but I have a close friend with a millions dudes and Orks who I can fight when we get together.

Then my recommendation is build an army using Reivers, Hellblasters, Intercessors, Tarantulas, Repulsors and Scout Snipers.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

The guy confirmed that the Swarmlord isn't tied to Leviathan only, it just has to use that warlord trait.

Phyresis posted:

Jormungandr seems to be the best Fleet by a significant margin but Kraken is also powerful. The changes seem good but I'm not sure if they're enough. The rupture cannon buff is nice but a Tyrannofex still clocks in at just under 235 points for three BS4+ shots that the target will probably still have an armor save against. At least it's very durable.

It still gets to fire twice if it remains still, and some of the hive fleet traits give it an accuracy bonus. The Tfex is now a decent long-range platform. I'm also hoping that the point increase means that random poo poo like Stinger Salvo and Powerful Limbs have been merged into it's core cost.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

They should really alter that "can't shoot characters under 10 wounds" rule so that it only applies to characters with the infantry keyword because it's really loving stupid that you can't shoot at some of the big Tyranid monsters hiding behind rippers

Counterpoint: It's really stupid that every other faction's characters get to hide but Tyranids don't. Especially Old One Eye, who is literally just a slightly meaner Carnifex.

Also definitely liking this stuff so far. We should be getting previews starting tomorrow, yeah?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

lokipunk posted:

So, I inherited a bunch of imperial guard. I have 0 urge to play 40k, and got some offers to sell them. Can someone help me parse out how much to charge? There are:

No paint, plastics assembled with cement, a little green stuff covering gaps. Some of the guardsman missing bayonets.

Not looking to make bank on this, I'd just like to unload it and maybe turn it into shiny new shadespire.

So.... A quick stab at this. This is mostly based off parted out priced I've seen, you might have to discount if you want to sell them as a big lot, and you might get more if you get someone who really wants them, or has had trouble finding them, and it might depend on condition. This should give you a good idea of what a fair price is, though.

2x leman russ with heavy bolters 20-30 dollars apiece
1 chimera 20ish
3x lascannon You can probably get 20-30 bucks for each 3 man group of heavy weapons, though probably more like 20 in a big lot?
3x autocannon
3x heavy bollter
3x rocket launcher
3x mortar
56 cadian guardsman w lasguns 1-2 Bucks a model for lasguns, grenade launchers, and flamers, More like 3-5 For the meltas and plasmas
8 grenade launchers
3 melta
3 plasma
5 flamer
7 officer with chainswords and laspistols I am assuming these are plastic sergeants, which would be 1-2 bucks
2 fancy looking officers with swords and laspistols Hard to tell what this and the next one are. I'm guessing metal officers/commissars, so maybe 5-10 bucks a pop? Probably more like $5 apiece if they're built from the plastic command squad kit
1 fancy boy with sword and power fist
2 commissar with plasma pistols and chainswords 5-10 a piece for this and the next one.
some kind of commander
a vox castor? If plastic, probably 1-2 bucks. If metal, maybe 3-4
some kind of attendant priest 5-10 buckeroos probably
5 some kind of heavy guardsman with lasguns and commander with sword (power?) and weird laspistol Old metal kasrkin, I'm assuming. 4-5 bucks a pop. if you have any plasma or melta guns, those are more like 10 bucks a model
2 of those walker things with no weapons attached Sentinels. Damaged, but the weapons aren't super hard to come by as you get a bunch in the box. So, 10-15 apiece, Probably around 10 apiece in a lot, 15+ to someone who really wants sentinels and has the bits on hand

all my low range estimates add up to $353 USD, which seems fairly reasonable for a price selling them as a big lot. I doubt you'd get the higher range of prices for them unless you started parting them out. I may be wrong, but hopefully it's a decent enough idea of general worth, and people will hopefully correct me if I am.

Felime fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 29, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Strobe posted:

Counterpoint: It's really stupid that every other faction's characters get to hide but Tyranids don't. Especially Old One Eye, who is literally just a slightly meaner Carnifex.

Also definitely liking this stuff so far. We should be getting previews starting tomorrow, yeah?

Presumably the Tyranid characters are replaceable by other big bugs and also compensate for the fact that they can be picked out by having correspondingly large stat lines.

For an army whose entire concept is "next man bug up" it seems silly to worry about characters.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

OK, how about this: you can only hide characters behind units that are the same type as them

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

sucks to be the Avatar of Khaine, I guess

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yes but if you're playing Eldar you're used to defeat

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

what? :staredog:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
he means ur opponents

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Yes but if you're playing Eldar you're used to defeat

looooooooool

This is one of those times you have no idea what you're honking about (Eldar and character targeting)

I liked the idea upthread that you can only target characters within 24" or maybe 18", so you can make an active choice to play "riskier" but be able to pick characters out, or sit back and rely on snipers or clearing the stuff in front of them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

I did a land raider! holy poo poo was working on it exhausting tho, just so much stuff to cover.

It paid off, cause this thing looks baller!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

looooooooool

This is one of those times you have no idea what you're honking about (Eldar and character targeting)

I liked the idea upthread that you can only target characters within 24" or maybe 18", so you can make an active choice to play "riskier" but be able to pick characters out, or sit back and rely on snipers or clearing the stuff in front of them.

But that just shows up the problem that's popped up a lot: Why bother building for melee when ranged is better?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

:lol: at 18"-24" being a risky range band. Bolters and lasguns would be able to pick out characters with minimal issues or fear of reprisal. Risky would be more like 6".

Honestly, I'd just prefer it if characters could attach to units like the old system. It'd clean things up a bit and you wouldn't have those weird situations like where a character makes it into combat but their buddies don't or a character is standing alone out in the open can't be picked out because there's a combat going on slightly closer and off to the left.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

:lol: at 18"-24" being a risky range band. Bolters and lasguns would be able to pick out characters with minimal issues or fear of reprisal. Risky would be more like 6".

Honestly, I'd just prefer it if characters could attach to units like the old system. It'd clean things up a bit and you wouldn't have those weird situations like where a character makes it into combat but their buddies don't or a character is standing alone out in the open can't be picked out because there's a combat going on slightly closer and off to the left.

It'd definitely make my vanguard feel better. I deep strike them with a chaplain a lot, and when they charge have to have a conga line going back to keep in the chaplain's aura since I've never had both of them make it into combat.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
On the other hand attaching units had a lot of lovely mechanics attached to it by necessity, because otherwise you could hide T3 characters in a squad of T5 units and suddenly they're much harder to kill on top of being able to hide them even if you're literally locked in combat with them.

I think it should probably be closer to if a character has a friendly unit within 6" that is also closer to the attacker they get to hide.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But that just shows up the problem that's popped up a lot: Why bother building for melee when ranged is better?

You can still block LoS or whatever, and if opponents are forced to come closer to be able to target your characters, that also puts them closer to enable you to charge them. That's why 18" occurred to me - that's a reasonable distance for a fast melee unit to cover, or maybe even make it 12". That way a shooting army has the choice to pile forward and try to kill off a character, but doing that leaves it vulnerable to being counter-charged the next turn.

Also idiot Dakkanaut of the day goes to Lanrak, who may be the white noisiest poster ever to emerge on the internet. Here's a couple of choice quotes:

quote:

The ONLY good reason to move to plastic production is to maximize the economies of scale.
GW originally stated they wanted to lower the cost of collecting armies by making rank and file out of plastic.(Higher sales volumes maximizes the economies of scale.)

The upfront cost of the metal mould for plastic production can be prohibitive.However, the cost of metal mould production has has fallen dramatically over the years.
So GW has found it more cost effective to move most production to plastic.

It is understandable that characters etc, are not going to same volumes as standard troops.
However, if GW appealed to a wider audience , the sales volumes would increase and therefore GW would not have to charge so much per minature.
(Especially if they had not got the debt the chain of B&M stores generate.)

quote:

@TangoTwoBravo.
''Gamers'' play games without minatures.(Good games do not need 'fancy 'minatures . )
The minatures simply improve the visual appeal of the game play.

In the same way ''Collectors' are happy collect minatures without rules or games to use them in.
And if there are games /rules to allow collectors to show off their minatures with like minded people, then that adds to their enjoyment of collecting.

As Jervis Johnson put it,''.. the (GW) games are just the 'icing on the cake', for (GW minature )collectors...''

GW customers play 40k despite the 'lackluster rules.'

Gamers do not bother playing 40k because of the 'lackluster rules.'

Just because some people put paint on a minature to meet a minimum standard.(EG minimum of 3 colours for some events.)
Does not mean they really care what the minature looks like at the end.

In the same way GW sell you rule books and army lists.It does not mean they care what the game play ends up like.

I hope that makes my point a bit clearer?

Both posts are basically repetitions of bland cliches and unsupported assertions, which isn't too notable. What sells it is the fact that I hadn't posted on Dakka for about 5 years when I read the second one there, and I immediately knew who the OP was, because he's been making more or less the same post about twice a month for the last decade. It's like in 2002 he figured out which hot take would be just bland enough no-one would question him on it while still being smug enough that he gets to feel clever and above it all, and resolved to re-post it at every opportunity ever since.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 29, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah I rethought it in the next post, 24" is too far really.

I don't know if attaching is the answer, but for what chutche was talking about maybe expand heroic intervention - if a unit within 3" chooses to charge, the character can charge also and automatically moves the same distance they do, but the unit being charged can overwatch against them as well. So you can a) charge both units together, but your opponent gets to overwatch as they choose, b) charge the units separately, limiting overwatch but risking one or the other not making combat. Limit it to one character per unit, and they can only try it once (so you can't use multiple units to slingshot a character up, and you can't bring a whole deathstar of characters with you by charging one unit in).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hope you guys don't mind a crosspost from the Oath thread!

Also if you're not following it, you should! There's some amazing paint jobs and inspiration in there. Kingmob posted a Mortarion that somehow makes the stuido scheme look fantastic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Those look great. Are you free-handing the Nid symbol, or did you find a transfer for them?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those are custom transfers, I cleaned up and shrunk an icon in Photoshop, then printed them onto that Testors decal paper. The trick is to coat the sheet in a layer of matt spray varnish and to use micro set / micro sol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

Those are custom transfers, I cleaned up and shrunk an icon in Photoshop, then printed them onto that Testors decal paper. The trick is to coat the sheet in a layer of matt spray varnish and to use micro set / micro sol.

Decal paper is fantastic. I've had a lot of success with using Micro Set and Sol and applying a gloss coat on the model first.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Seriously, it's amazing stuff.

I had a lousy experience years ago that put me off it for a while, but after some practice I've completely reversed my opinion. Going forward, I want to experiment with using it to lay down the line art on hand-painted banners and the (not-cheesecake) nose art on a Valkyrie.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I feel like my primaris chapter is coming along nicely. I've decided they're a Crimson Fists successor, so going to repaint their hands soon.

Idea is that after the crimson fists got a huge influx of primaris marines and geneseed in the indomitus crusade, there was enough left that they made an overflow chapter. It's got around 20 crimson fists veterans and officers as a seed (plus some dreadnoughts, apothecaries, and techmarines) but the vast majority of them are new primaris marines. So the chapter master is a Pedro Kantor-alike (maybe Kantor himself drops by occasionally too) and there's a couple of oldmarine Lts and such, with the veterans sometimes deploying in terminator armor, sometimes with jump packs, and other times just on foot as devastators or tactical marines (often mechanized). It's only actually a few companies in strength but the fists are usually understrength anyway.

So in practice, the lists I build with it will be primaris that's supplemented by stuff like a lascannon devastator squad, or a tac marine squad in a rhino or razorback loaded for bear, and Pedro can have a retinue of assault terminators with him in a stormraven or land raider for him to buff. But the infantry choices will be heavily skewed towards intercessors and hellblasters, and I don't think I'll be using any scouts. I won't use a ton of oldmarine vehicles but enough to make an impact. Sprinkling in a few oldmarine units does a fantastic job at covering holes in a numarine force without having to bring multiple repulsors to every fight.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Next week's pre-orders got previewed.

Nid codex, Ryza Ruins kit from the Moonbase board set and...

A buttplug.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, that's one sex toy I'm pre-ordering.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

moths posted:

Seriously, it's amazing stuff.

I had a lousy experience years ago that put me off it for a while, but after some practice I've completely reversed my opinion. Going forward, I want to experiment with using it to lay down the line art on hand-painted banners and the (not-cheesecake) nose art on a Valkyrie.

It would probably work for purity seals as well.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

Next week's pre-orders got previewed.

Nid codex, Ryza Ruins kit from the Moonbase board set and...

A buttplug.

Something tells me it's going to cost like 40 dollars and you'll find them in stores all dusty because nobody buys them

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I actually like it. I can never get my stuff secure enough on wine corks.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I kinda want one. I'm a terrible butterfingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I might end up buying two. For reasons.

goose willis posted:

Something tells me it's going to cost like 40 dollars and you'll find them in stores all dusty because nobody buys them

Well that confirms it, it will be a runaway success.