Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Duckaerobics posted:

Any Ideas on who Florida goes after? I'm sure people will say Chip Kelly, because they always do. Would they try to get Mullen to leave Miss State?

Scott Frost and Mullen are the two I have seen linked but I dunno how the coaching carousel works in CFB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
they're going to aim for Mullen and settle for Strong

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Doug Nussmeier is going to be the belle of the ball with all of the job offers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Names floated so far

Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
Scott Frost
Mike Norvell
Dan Mullen

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jay Gruden to florida, book it

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ehud posted:

Names floated so far

Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
Scott Frost
Mike Norvell
Dan Mullen

Don’t forget bob stoops with Steve spurrier as OC

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Hire Tim Tebow.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

So how does this work now? A lot of the names floated are currently in positions - would they move immediately or would it be Shannon(/Spurrier?) as interim HC until the end of the season? Similarly the coaches - Nussmeier needs to go too, but would we have someone else to step up the mean time?

A Shannon HC/DC and Spurrier OC/AHC until the end of the season would be p cool I guess.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Me IRL:

I'm disappointed. I thought Mac was a great hire. I like his laid-back schtick--but it's annoying when you're not winning and also not showing any urgency.

Also, he made a fatal flaw when he didn't just bring his CSU staff. I felt weird about it then, but the horrible results speak for themselves.

The fact of the matter is that he is not an offensive guru, and I wish him well at Oregon State next fall.

Mouse Cadet posted:

Frost should be their #1 candidate

Yes. Yes he should.

I'm not sure who other than that? Iowa State dude Campbell is on the rise. Norvell?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/ldelrio12/status/924698775750356992

lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

EvilHawk posted:

So how does this work now? A lot of the names floated are currently in positions - would they move immediately or would it be Shannon(/Spurrier?) as interim HC until the end of the season? Similarly the coaches - Nussmeier needs to go too, but would we have someone else to step up the mean time?

A Shannon HC/DC and Spurrier OC/AHC until the end of the season would be p cool I guess.

It's rare for a permanent HC to take over in the middle of a season. The new HC will take over in December or, more likely, January.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Pakled posted:

It's rare for a permanent HC to take over in the middle of a season. The new HC will take over in December or, more likely, January.

Makes sense with the shorter seasons American Football has.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Names floated so far

Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
Scott Frost
Mike Norvell
Dan Mullen

I'd imagine if he gave a poo poo about it Campbell would be a great recruiter. Is there any evidence he's actually a good coach?

Doh, I read Matt Campbell as Dan Campbell for some reason, probably because it's you posting this Ehud.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EvilHawk posted:

The actual hire won't happen until the end of the regular season. Well, there may be an agreement and rumors, but no official announcement until then. Some coaches finish out the year with their current team, especially if they have a big bowl game. Some leave immediatley, especially if the program is going to promote the OC/DC.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

LeeMajors posted:

Me IRL:

I'm disappointed. I thought Mac was a great hire. I like his laid-back schtick--but it's annoying when you're not winning and also not showing any urgency.

Also, he made a fatal flaw when he didn't just bring his CSU staff. I felt weird about it then, but the horrible results speak for themselves.

The fact of the matter is that he is not an offensive guru, and I wish him well at Oregon State next fall.

Yes. Yes he should.

I'm not sure who other than that? Iowa State dude Campbell is on the rise. Norvell?

Mullen would be pretty interesting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine if he gave a poo poo about it Campbell would be a great recruiter. Is there any evidence he's actually a good coach?

Doh, I read Matt Campbell as Dan Campbell for some reason, probably because it's you posting this Ehud.

Dan Campbell would be good 2

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'd love to see Charlie Strong at Florida. I know he wasn't good at Texas, but he did create a monster with Louisville after Kragthorpe destroyed everything Petrino accomplished. He's only had one year at USF, but Florida could afford it. I'd put up money its a current/former Saban assistant though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Top reply:

"Well, that is unfortunate but I guess you guys should have kinda known it was coming with all the rumors floating this week."

:lol:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
man, I thought the way our AD shuttled Richt out the door was pretty bad, but this is on a whole other level

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

the coach’s son is not happy with a coach being fired?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Florida having an opening is a nightmare scenario for UT. Especially with a head start. John Currie needs to loving pull the trigger.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I'd love to see Charlie Strong at Florida. I know he wasn't good at Texas, but he did create a monster with Louisville after Kragthorpe destroyed everything Petrino accomplished. He's only had one year at USF, but Florida could afford it. I'd put up money its a current/former Saban assistant though.

Hell no. Failed miserably at Texas and is 0-1 as head coach at Florida.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Won't happen. I'd wager we will never see another Saban assistant on the sideline at UF again.

We are 0-2, and that's loving enough.

Mouse Cadet posted:

Mullen would be pretty interesting.

Agreed. I think he'd be fine bc UF recruiting generally takes care of itself. He strikes me as a RichRod kinda guy though. I put them in the same basket, but without the abject failure at a traditional power.

I'm not sure I want him to have that opportunity.

UF would lose its mind, but he'd probably do well. It'd depend a lot on the offensive coaching hires too.

I wouldn't hate it. Guy can coach.

Guys, I don't care who coaches, I just want to watch a team that plays watchable football again. That's it. That's how low the bar is.

Thanks a lot, Urban's weak-rear end esophagus.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21213457/florida-gators-ask-head-coach-jim-mcelwain-accept-less-1276m-buyout

He's still coach for now. They're still meeting and negotiating.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Lane Kiffen, but only until he makes all of Jimbo's new hair fall out. Then we can him and get Mullen or someone who isn't a total rear end.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Florida has to take a big swing here. The thing about the McElwain hire was that even those who liked the hire would admit that it was profoundly boring and safe. There's an enthusiasm deficit right now and the program needs a shiny new face to lead it. I don't think they'll get that from Dan "Mr. 8-4" Mullen or Charlie Strong.

I'm sure they're fine coaches but they've both got tread on their tires. Gator fans were all too happy to see Mullen leave for Mississippi State in '09. And taking Strong after he got chewed up and spat out by the previous major coaching job he had isn't going to get people excited. Similarly, I don't think it would be easy to sell a guy like Mike Norvell since it would just feel like another McElwain-esque hire.

They need to go after Chip Kelly and Scott Frost and get back to scoring 50 points a game.

Big Piece O Shit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 29, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

HannibalBarca posted:

man, I thought the way our AD shuttled Richt out the door was pretty bad, but this is on a whole other level

haha ok, Mac won loving nothing and the team totally quit on him yesterday. As bad as Muschamp was, I don't think I ever saw the team quit like that. UF was toast 6min into that game. UGA could've scored 100 and shut us out if theyd wanted to.

That poo poo isn't acceptable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think Dan Mullen at Florida would easily win 8-10 games per year; he'd be every bit as solid as Richt at Georgia.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sticklin: Mac, I’ve realized we’ve signed a one-year contract with you, but at this point I think it’s best that we both go our separate ways.

Mac: I don’t understand.

Stricklin: We don’t like you. We want you to leave.

Mac: Clearer...

Ehud fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 29, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol https://www.seccountry.com/florida/wikipedia-lists-scott-frost-next-florida-coach

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I guess Joe Moorhead's stock crashed last night

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

LeeMajors posted:

haha ok, Mac won loving nothing and the team totally quit on him yesterday. As bad as Muschamp was, I don't think I ever saw the team quit like that. UF was toast 6min into that game. UGA could've scored 100 and shut us out if theyd wanted to.

no, I understand the motivations, but the actual process of removing him has not been, uh, smooth

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

LeeMajors posted:

Mizzou 2014 was pretty bad. Down 42-0 at home at halftime. We kept Muschamp around for a few more games but it was over for him at that point.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

no, I understand the motivations, but the actual process of removing him has not been, uh, smooth

You referring to the process that only really got going when he started making poo poo up about death threats?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
https://twitter.com/Mansell247/status/924634208114487296

Where could it possibly go wrong?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mouse Cadet posted:

Mizzou 2014 was pretty bad. Down 42-0 at home at halftime. We kept Muschamp around for a few more games but it was over for him at that point.

Yeah that game was rough. A comedy of offensive errors.

But the defense was strong and swarming somehow. We just got turbofucked by offensive turnovers and bad special teams.

Yesterday, the entire team did the Gator Flop and UGA was merciful. All phases.

I think Venables is intriguing.

But so was Mac. And Muschamp.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean Venables is a good 5-10 years past where he should have gotten a head coaching job. It'd be a good hire, but he either interviews like crap or doesn't want a HC job yet.

e: Holy crap he's only 46, I thought he was much older.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Jeff Brohm would be interesting

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

HannibalBarca posted:

Up until last week the word was that people weren't happy but were willing to give him another year, probably with a new OC. Then the weird death threat thing started, and by the sounds of it the boosters started to consider getting rid of him earlier. The shambolic performance yesterday cemented that fact which has led to the decision today.

He's gone from fairly safe to out the door in less than 7 days, so yeah it's not going to be exactly a smooth transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Please please please hire him away from Clemson

• Locked thread