Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

actionjackson posted:

Fine, but why aren't there other (legit) companies offering chargers at a more reasonable price? So many people have Apple laptops, yet there seems to be no competition at all.

It's proprietary, as others have mentioned.

Also, to match the engineering in the official adapters would likely raise the costs to the official one.

http://www.righto.com/2016/03/counterfeit-macbook-charger-teardown.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm happy to pay the apple premium for chargers so my house doesn't burn down.

E: also maybe this thread could help me settle an argument I've had with my –*girlfriend*–. I have always maintained that leaving high quality charges in the wall all the time (e.g. iphone chargers, macbook chargers) is not a fire hazard, and that leaving chargers in the wall is only ever an issue if it's a shoddy product. Am I right?

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 29, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

E: also maybe this thread could help me settle an argument I've had with my –*girlfriend*–. I have always maintained that leaving high quality charges in the wall all the time (e.g. iphone chargers, macbook chargers) is not a fire hazard, and that leaving chargers in the wall is only ever an issue if it's a shoddy product. Am I right?

Anecdotal evidence: I have left chargers plugged into outlets in my houses continuously for about ten years and none of them has ever burned down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Entropy238 posted:

I leave them in all the time. If it were an issue, there would be a legal disclaimer on the order of "DO NOT USE WHILE BATHING" or "NOT FOR INTERNAL USE"

Chargers are things I buy direct from Apple. I just can't trust Amazon suppliers/vendors. Even the ones with all the right markings and having the "correct" price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to work for a company that dealt with international insurance claims, and Apple was one customer. The worksheet I kept an eye on only had something like 20-30 claims on it, but they were all high cost ones. I presume there were other companies that had some too, as I’d expect there to be more than this in total but I can confirm one thing: practically every claim was denied because the extensive damage caused in almost every case was due to a 3rd party charger malfunctioning.

The real deals are just in a different world of design and component quality, and they’re pretty incredible. Dodgy Chinese ones are literally whatever’s available at the market that morning thrown together with zero safety features.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Apple considers MagSafe to be a proprietary technology, they usually go after knockoffs with heated legal action.

They do let slip people selling refurbished adapters and now that they are switching to the USB-C protocol that opens up Mac laptops to using alternative power adapters.. but only the new ones.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just trying to understand why this is legally allowed in the first place. I vaguely remember that in the 90s Compaq only allowed Compaq memory in their computers, but had to stop because it was anti-competitive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

The real deals are just in a different world of design and component quality, and they’re pretty incredible. Dodgy Chinese ones are literally whatever’s available at the market that morning thrown together with zero safety features.
Left side is counterfeit. Right side is official Apple charger.

actionjackson posted:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just trying to understand why this is legally allowed in the first place. I vaguely remember that in the 90s Compaq only allowed Compaq memory in their computers, but had to stop because it was anti-competitive.

I would imagine that it's just not cost effective to make a charger that matches Apple's specs. Also, the mag-sage connector is protected by patent, so they aren't arbitrarily blocking it, they are protecting their IP. COMPAQ was simply adding an arbitrary restriction that wasn't protecting any IP respective to their memory modules.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 29, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm glad to here that the newer laptops will take USB-C so there will actually be competition in adapters. Was this done in response to possible legal action from Europe? I can't imagine Apple would voluntarily stop using a proprietary adapter.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks folks – that's what I thought. I'm going to print out this page and own my girlfriend with it not

actionjackson posted:

I'm glad to here that the newer laptops will take USB-C so there will actually be competition in adapters. Was this done in response to possible legal action from Europe? I can't imagine Apple would voluntarily stop using a proprietary adapter.

To be fair to Apple Magsafe is pretty much the best consumer appreciable innovation in chargers for the past decade. Patents work by giving the company that invented the new technology a monopoly on it for twenty years, then everybody else gets to use the technology after that (unless it's a standard essential patent, which works different).

Though I suspect by the time Magsafe's patent is up anything that you would have charged via magsafe will charge wirelessly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I guess my feeling is that obviously if they have the MagSafe on there and they have the patent, fine, but there should be other ways to charge the device. I don't like the fact that you are beholden to only one company for something that is required for the device to function. Sure, tout the benefits of MagSafe and so on, but I would also like other options, say being able to charge using USB (I suspect this is nowhere near as good, but at least I have another option). If I'm talking out of my own rear end here please let me know as I have little knowledge about how hardware works - just reflecting my thoughts on needing consumer choice.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

actionjackson posted:

I guess my feeling is that obviously if they have the MagSafe on there and they have the patent, fine, but there should be other ways to charge the device. I don't like the fact that you are beholden to only one company for something that is required for the device to function. Sure, tout the benefits of MagSafe and so on, but I would also like other options, say being able to charge using USB (I suspect this is nowhere near as good, but at least I have another option). If I'm talking out of my own rear end here please let me know as I have little knowledge about how hardware works - just reflecting my thoughts on needing consumer choice.

They're phasing out MagSafe for USBC anyway so honestly man, just let it go.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

They're phasing out MagSafe for USBC anyway so honestly man, just let it go.

I'm not mad or anything, just asking here because I'm curious :confused:

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

Well, the argument goes that the rewards reaped from the monopoly encourages everyone to innovate more, resulting in better products for consumers.

In reality that doesn't really reflect what goes on a lot of the time, as throughout history States have stolen intellectual property from other states and often the most successful states were the ones that were the best at doing this. A good example is the development of South Korea from the 50s to a now OECD economy by rampant intellectual property abuse.

As Matt said Magsafe's getting phased out anyway so the point is moot.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’ll miss MagSafe when I finally replace my MacBook Air. Honestly one of the best features of any Apple device.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Weedle posted:

I’ll miss MagSafe when I finally replace my MacBook Air. Honestly one of the best features of any Apple device.

The battery life on the new intel generations are so good you won't really miss it. My sky lake MacBook gets pretty insane battery life where I only charger it 3/4 of the way through a day.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

magsafe was great, but magsafe 2's connector was too loose. could never sit my macbook on my lap without the plug getting disconnected because i shifted weight.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

actionjackson posted:

I'm not mad or anything, just asking here because I'm curious :confused:

Realistically, if you want to chase this line of thinking then start a thread in BFC about capitalism, patents, and competitive advantage.

The thing you’re complaining/asking about is basically the underpinnings of how most engineering and manufacturing companies make money.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could they make a usb-c cable with a breakaway on the cable itself perhaps? I do agree it was a really innovative and ‘better than everyone else’ implementation, and it definitely saved my laptop from dog interference at least twice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Could they make a usb-c cable with a breakaway on the cable itself perhaps? I do agree it was a really innovative and ‘better than everyone else’ implementation, and it definitely saved my laptop from dog interference at least twice.

There's the Griffin Breaksafe (tm) but it's not really that great

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bob Morales posted:

There's the Griffin Breaksafe (tm) but it's not really that great

unobtrusive and good!

I did read it as the Griffin Basketcase first though :v: .

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Any reason for a strong, steady trickle of 13" 2017 MBP's in the apple refurb shop but no 15 inchers?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Any reason for a strong, steady trickle of 13" 2017 MBP's in the apple refurb shop but no 15 inchers?

It’s literally $1000 more than the 13 inchers. I imagine people wanting to spend that amount are strong on apple people.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thom ZombieForm posted:

My best guess would be that they sell a lot more 13” than 15” MBPs, so there are more 13” models coming back through as refurbs, and the 15” is a lot more expensive, so what 15” refurbs do hit the store get bought up quickly by people looking to save big.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

2011 MBP failed today. Jesus what do I do with this lineup.

I think I would hate the all USB-C port dongle crap, the touch bar feels terrible, and I'm afraid my ESC key habit would drive me insane with it.

Are the non-touch bar models significantly slower? Other than CPU and GPU differences getting the old model seems like a no-brainer.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Oh, and

Bob Morales posted:

Apple only has 3 people who can work on new products. The other 8,000 are making emojis and loving up the UI of iOS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Definitely go for an old one. The keyboard breaks if you sneeze on the touchbar model.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

2015 fo sho

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
In all honesty I really love my 2015 13" MBP with all the ports - but if it broke today I'd definitely buy a non touchbar 13" current model. There's no getting around the fact that ports are gone from this point on so might as well jump the bandwagon now. In the year or so I've had this laptop I've used the HDMI port maybe twice and the USB ports mostly to charge my iPhone, the first of which can be resolved with a relatively inexpensive adapter and the second one with a usb-c to lightning cable. It's lame that you need adapters for stuff that normally just works out of the box, but if it gets you that much gain in terms of portability, I think it's worth it. 99% of the time I'm using it without anything connected at all.

The thing I'd miss most is MagSafe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

2015 fo sho

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I also own a non-TB 13" and the only thing that annoys me is the battery. I want my 15 hours back!

The keyboard being super sensitive is also annoying, but it's not that bad all in all.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thanks all. Going with the 2015.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 2015 rMBPs are also the last Mac laptop models you can disassemble yourself without having to resort to using a special jig.

Also, if you lowball the storage you can drop in an off-the-shelf M.2 960 EVO or Pro with a special adapter and get 500 GB-1 TB internal storage easy. You do have to upgrade to High Sierra first and perform some other tweaks but it's better than paying Apple some ridiculously huge price for their proprietary SSDs..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 31, 2017

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bought a 2.8GHz 2015 rMBP with 512SSD. Other than wishing I had the latest processor / GPU I'm perfectly happy.

I almost bought the 2017 model. But when I had $332 worth of adapters in my cart, and I hated the machine even before I bought it, I just couldn't hit 'Buy.'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lord funk posted:

I had $332 worth of adapters in my cart,

Thread title plz

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Great, did you get it from the refurb store? How much RAM?

I use a 3.1 GHz i7 Early 2015 and it's as smooth as butter, even with FileVault.

Maybe about the only thing I'd want a 2017 machine for is HEIC/HEVC hardware acceleration; I can play HEVC stuff just fine but knowing that there's Broadwell HEVC hardware acceleration on Intel / Windows setups with Iris 6100 GPUs (and not with High Sierra) that could save me some CPU usage that I might need later irritates me to no end.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lord funk posted:

Bought a 2.8GHz 2015 rMBP with 512SSD. Other than wishing I had the latest processor / GPU I'm perfectly happy.

Exactly the one I have. It's fantastic. There is no reason to upgrade. If you want single-digit improvement on single-threaded tasks whatever, more power to you, but we have MagSafe 2, HDMI, an SD card slot, the gorgeous display and literally all of the benefits of a modern MacBook Pro without the... undesirable parts of the modern models.

Welcome to the club. We meet in this thread regularly, when the others complain about not being able to turn down the volume or hit ESC with muscle memory.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’ve got issues with my late 2013 15“ rMBP, it recently started to shut off randomly. The screen goes completely black, fans spin up to 100% and its stuck in that state until I long-press the power button. It seems to happen most frequently when I’m on battery, browse the web and watch a video in the background.
I don’t think it is a kernel panic and I can’t find relevant logs/crash reports. The Apple hardware reports no issues. Battery is in good condition, ~300 cycles and 95% capacity remaining. Perhaps a software problem? Should I reinstall?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You reset SMC, zapped PRAM, tried booting from a 'clean' alternate system?

eames
May 9, 2009

Yes, yes, no. Good idea, i‘ll try to install high sierra on an external drive tomorrow. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

Exactly the one I have. It's fantastic. There is no reason to upgrade. If you want single-digit improvement on single-threaded tasks whatever, more power to you, but we have MagSafe 2, HDMI, an SD card slot, the gorgeous display and literally all of the benefits of a modern MacBook Pro without the... undesirable parts of the modern models.

Welcome to the club. We meet in this thread regularly, when the others complain about not being able to turn down the volume or hit ESC with muscle memory.

Chances are this spring I’ll be buying this amazing 3 year old computer.