Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahah, ok then

It's not bad it's just . . . these gods seem exceptionally mundane. I guess it just goes to show that nobody but Zelazny was Zelazny.

That's damned true.

On the plus side, issola does have Lady Teldra in it as an actual character, and your reward for plugging away at it is Dzur, which features a meal at Valabar's in the chapter headers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

This is exactly why Issola sucks - from what I've seen, Brust just can't do high fantasy in any interesting way and whenever he heads there it ends up being mediocre at best. Thankfully the books get back on track. I think he kinda needed to rationalize why all those high and mighty elves hang out with a common human assassin but the Chosen One bullshit pretty much never works.

On the plus side, you're halfway through what I believe is universally acknowledged as the worst book in the series.

e: On a non-related topic, I'm working my way through Vance and it's been fun so far - Tales of the Dying Earth is the omnibus edition for that setting, right? It's got everything?

Yeah. Songs of the Dying Earth, GRRM's Vance tribute story collection, is actually fairly decent as well.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

anilEhilated posted:

This is exactly why Issola sucks - from what I've seen, Brust just can't do high fantasy in any interesting way and whenever he heads there it ends up being mediocre at best. Thankfully the books get back on track. I think he kinda needed to rationalize why all those high and mighty elves hang out with a common human assassin but the Chosen One bullshit pretty much never works.

On the plus side, you're halfway through what I believe is universally acknowledged as the worst book in the series.

e: On a non-related topic, I'm working my way through Vance and it's been fun so far - Tales of the Dying Earth is the omnibus edition for that setting, right? It's got everything?

Issola is actually very good, but not for reasons that have much to do with the plot.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

why do perfectly good fantasy noir series always insist on mucking everything up with World Shaking Epic Magic and Gods and not just staying focused on small scale gritty crime stories

It's not as if that stuff wasn't there from literally book one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Issola is actually very good, but not for reasons that have much to do with the plot.

Agreed.

I will have to say, I think my favorite books are the ones that at core are heists or stings.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

midway through Book 9 now, Issola

why do perfectly good fantasy noir series always insist on mucking everything up with World Shaking Epic Magic and Gods and not just staying focused on small scale gritty crime stories

Dresden should have stayed a detective and I liked Taltos as a mob boss a lot better than whatever he is now

IIRC, Vlad made his character turn after one of Brust's friends was murdered and he had second thoughts about glamorizing murder-for-hire.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Yeah. Songs of the Dying Earth, GRRM's Vance tribute story collection, is actually fairly decent as well.

It's not exactly clear in this post but GRRM is just the editor. Maybe this was implicit since it's well known GRRM doesn't write.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Y'know, I actually like a fair bit of GRRM's short stories. Definitely more than any novel he wrote.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

anilEhilated posted:

Y'know, I actually like a fair bit of GRRM's short stories. Definitely more than any novel he wrote.

Well, they were his most important claim to fame before he started on ASOIAF. Not without reason.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I haven't read ASOIF but the few shorts I've read from GRRM were alright. He's also famous and connected enough to be able to attract a lot of talent to his anthology projects, so a lot of those are pretty decent. Old Mars and Old Venus were the best of those I've read, though Dangerous Women was kind of a disappointment.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Khizan posted:

IIRC, Vlad made his character turn after one of Brust's friends was murdered and he had second thoughts about glamorizing murder-for-hire.

It's worse than that...Brust's friend was a labor organizer killed by organized crime. You can see the echoes in Teckla very clearly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

It's worse than that...Brust's friend was a labor organizer killed by organized crime. You can see the echoes in Teckla very clearly.

Well *that* makes sense and now I feel shallow

The "deleted scenes" at the end of Ioreth are the best thing in the series so far

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, was not expecting such a shift in style with the Khaavren Romances but I'm enjoying it, especially the detailed descriptions of everyone's clothing. It's really well done - just enough there to evoke and lightly parody Dumas's style, without getting annoying.

Kinda amazed that he actually worked The Vicomte de Bragelonne in there though, impressed

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 26, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Brust surprised me with the style shift from Taltos to Khaavren, though it's been a long time since I read either. Another book he worked on was in an epistolary style, Freedom and Necessity, with Emma Bull. It's a Victorian adventure novel with some minor supernatural elements--SFF mostly because the authors are SFF. But it's a fun story anyway, and the two of them managed to pool their talents well.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, was not expecting such a shift in style with the Khaavren Romances but I'm enjoying it, especially the detailed descriptions of everyone's clothing. It's really well done - just enough there to evoke and lightly parody Dumas's style, without getting annoying.

Kinda amazed that he actually worked The Vicomte de Bragelonne in there though, impressed

Brust-as-Paarfi is amazing

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My local library doesn't have any Brust books but all this talk about him means I'll probably be getting some on Kindle. I've already listened to some videos where he talks about his stories and publishing and he seems like a cool guy.

I like his "Cool stuff" theory of literature.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

navyjack posted:

Brust-as-Paarfi is amazing

I was disappointed at first because it seemed that he was going to skip or elide the classic everybody-duels-with-everyone-else opening of The Three Musketeers, and then . . . perfection, like an unfolding flower

If he keeps this up it has the potential for brilliance. If he manages to turn Vicomte de Bragellonne into a readable book that'll take genius.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was disappointed at first because it seemed that he was going to skip or elide the classic everybody-duels-with-everyone-else opening of The Three Musketeers, and then . . . perfection, like an unfolding flower

If he keeps this up it has the potential for brilliance. If he manages to turn Vicomte de Bragellonne into a readable book that'll take genius.

I think The Viscount of Adrilankha is the weakest of the three, in part because it was published in three volumes and just not a lot happens in the second one. I still enjoyed it, though.

Honestly I like Brust-as-Paarfi-as-Dumas a lot more than Actual Dumas.

In other news, I just finished The Fall of Ile-Rien, and despite Wells clearly shipping different characters than I was I enjoyed it a great deal. Definitely going to check out her other, more recent stuff now that I've been reminded she exists. For now, though, I need to read Provenance and then go on a Taltos binge.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Pheonix Guards is a masterwork. The follow-up, 500 Years Later is very good, not quite achieving the heights of the former. I do agree with others that the Viscount of Adrilankha being broken into three volumes kind of hosed with the pacing, but it's still good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

In other news, I just finished The Fall of Ile-Rien, and despite Wells clearly shipping different characters than I was I enjoyed it a great deal. Definitely going to check out her other, more recent stuff now that I've been reminded she exists. For now, though, I need to read Provenance and then go on a Taltos binge.

I like all of her Il-Rien books.

The first Il-Rien novel, Element of Fire is pretty good and a fun read.

The 2nd book, Death of the Necromancer is up there on my favorite books list. It's kind of a half-heist/half-Holmsian Adventure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Proteus Jones posted:

The Pheonix Guards is a masterwork. The follow-up, 500 Years Later is very good, not quite achieving the heights of the former. I do agree with others that the Viscount of Adrilankha being broken into three volumes kind of hosed with the pacing, but it's still good.

Sounds like it's following the structure of Vicomte de Bragellone, which was broken up into three volumes: Ten Years After, Louise de Vallerie, and The Man in the Iron Mask. So he's following Dumas' order strictly.

Ten Years After / Louise de Vallerie are fairly awful books and among the worst things I've ever read by Dumas; I strongly suspect they were written by ghostwriters under his name (Dumas did a lot of that).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

occamsnailfile posted:

Brust surprised me with the style shift from Taltos to Khaavren, though it's been a long time since I read either. Another book he worked on was in an epistolary style, Freedom and Necessity, with Emma Bull. It's a Victorian adventure novel with some minor supernatural elements--SFF mostly because the authors are SFF. But it's a fun story anyway, and the two of them managed to pool their talents well.

Oh, F&N ? I lent that to my mother, one chapter or so from the end I got an absolutely vicious email from my mother ranting about horrible endings and how could I do this to her. Then she read Bull's followup to what was obviously a Brust finale and all was forgiven. It's a terrific book with an interesting structure; Brust and Bull wrote alternating chapters as news reports, letters, telegrams, etc. to alternately develop the story. Lucky them, it worked. Read. This. Book.

Viscount of Adrilankha would have benefited from being more tightly plotted, but by the structure he'd chosen he had three books to get Zerika on her way to the Paths of the Dead, through them, and settled on the throne. There's still a lot of good stuff in those novels; "The conclusion is inescapable: in this dream of sequence, time has no meaning" for example. That's just a beautiful phrase and a really good sequence that just naturally sounds like Paarfi describing something metaphysical that we've also seen from Vlad's POV.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I like all of her Il-Rien books.

The first Il-Rien novel, Element of Fire is pretty good and a fun read.

The 2nd book, Death of the Necromancer is up there on my favorite books list. It's kind of a half-heist/half-Holmsian Adventure.

I should reread Death of the Necromancer one of these days; I read it back when it first came out and didn't like it nearly as much as Wheel of the Infinite, although it's been long enough that I can't remember. And I've never read Element of Fire.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khizan posted:

And some of the books have two or more storylines in them that are taking place at different times in the chronology, despite being in the same book.

This makes the Malazan books sound like a well organized series. :stare:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I should reread Death of the Necromancer one of these days; I read it back when it first came out and didn't like it nearly as much as Wheel of the Infinite, although it's been long enough that I can't remember. And I've never read Element of Fire.

Death of the Necromancer has a tighter plot than Wheel of the Infinite but Infinite's setting is more interesting. Still, I liked both a lot. I think Necromancer got more praise for hitting part of the 'steampunk' aesthetic (though I wouldn't describe it as what we generally call a 'steampunk' novel; it's just fantasy that's set a in a vaguely 18-19th century technological level) and being a more traditional adventure novel. I also liked the other Ile-Rien novels. And her other works. Her latest is SF, and I feel like it isn't quite as strong as the Raksura stuff but it's still enjoyable.

"Thorns" is also still one of my favorite fairy-tale retellings.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

The book that really goes hard on that, and I'm forgetting which one it is, cuts the reader a break by making the timeline changes entirely regular, every chapter starts in timeline A, then a sentence in timeline B halfway through, and finishes in timeline C.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, the Vlad Taltos books are way, way easier to follow than Malazan.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

Death of the Necromancer has a tighter plot than Wheel of the Infinite but Infinite's setting is more interesting. Still, I liked both a lot. I think Necromancer got more praise for hitting part of the 'steampunk' aesthetic (though I wouldn't describe it as what we generally call a 'steampunk' novel; it's just fantasy that's set a in a vaguely 18-19th century technological level) and being a more traditional adventure novel. I also liked the other Ile-Rien novels. And her other works. Her latest is SF, and I feel like it isn't quite as strong as the Raksura stuff but it's still enjoyable.

"Thorns" is also still one of my favorite fairy-tale retellings.

She has a new series called The Murderbot Diaries which was kicked off by the novella All Systems Red. I actually liked it a lot, and the next book is a full length novel due in Spring 2018.

quote:

"As a heartless killing machine, I was a complete failure."

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

quote:

Lin-Manuel Miranda to Adapt The Kingkiller Chronicle Series for TV

Heh.

http://www.signature-reads.com/2017/10/lin-manuel-miranda-adapt-kingkiller-chronicle-tv/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Taltos is exquisitely well organized and planned out, it's just not linear in either its publication or internal chronology. :v:

occamsnailfile posted:

I still haven't read Raksura! And it's actually the release of The Murderbot Diaries that got me back into Wells -- a friend of mine said "hey, I picked up this new book by Martha Wells and I think you'd really enjoy it", which reminded me that she'd written a whole pile of books I'd never even looked at.

Not reading Murderbot until it's finished next year, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Not reading Murderbot until it's finished next year, though.

If the novella is anything to go by, it's going to be a good series.

Her one-off, City of Bones, is really good, too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
All Systems Red was fun. Wasn't nearly anywhere as twee as it's premise would suggest.

I'm reading Too Like The Lightning by Ada Palmer right now. I wasn't too hot on it for the first half or so, but I seem to be past all the "fabulous lifestyles of the rich and the famous" stuff and it's getting far more interesting now that everybody's been introduced.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Proteus Jones posted:

She has a new series called The Murderbot Diaries which was kicked off by the novella All Systems Red. I actually liked it a lot, and the next book is a full length novel due in Spring 2018.

I'm in the middle of this right now. So far, it's pretty good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

If the novella is anything to go by, it's going to be a good series.

Her one-off, City of Bones, is really good, too.

That was my first Wells, in fact -- picked it up at a book sale for $0.25.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Malazan is not for the faint of heart... re reads are the best

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cimber posted:

RPO was a fun little book that has absolutely no value or reread value. Characters were one dimensional and the plot was pretty baseline. 2/10. Would not read again.

I just finished RPO on the recommendation of a friend and yeah pretty much this. The prose felt really poor and janky but if you imagine it as a YA book it fixes it.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

ed balls balls man posted:

I just finished RPO on the recommendation of a friend and yeah pretty much this. The prose felt really poor and janky but if you imagine it as a YA book it fixes it.

It really is just a generic young adult book, except for the fact that the only audience that is going to get more than a couple of the references in it is rapidly approaching middle age. If you weren't playing PC and tabletop games in the early-to-mid 80's you're not going to know much about anything mentioned in the book. I'm sure they'll solve that for the movie though. Finally today's youth can learn about Super Mario Bros., Transformers, and Freddy Krueger.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Proteus Jones posted:

The Pheonix Guards is a masterwork.

Any book where the narrator first goes on a long digression (one of many) about something completely irrelevant (but interesting), and then takes the extra time to directly apologize to the readers for wasting their time, has something going for it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I feel like GRRM wants to write short stories, because the last couple ASOIAF books honestly feel like they could be cut into entirely separate novella's and be alot more cohesive than the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

No. No more dancing! posted:

It really is just a generic young adult book, except for the fact that the only audience that is going to get more than a couple of the references in it is rapidly approaching middle age. If you weren't playing PC and tabletop games in the early-to-mid 80's you're not going to know much about anything mentioned in the book. I'm sure they'll solve that for the movie though. Finally today's youth can learn about Super Mario Bros., Transformers, and Freddy Krueger.

The narrator for RPO's audiobook version pretty much sums it up. Wil Wheaton. A man in his 40s with an ironic bit of purple hair who is really into nerd culture who's "glory days" were in the 80's playing a teenager.