Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I just open all my webcomics tabs at once and see what updated that day. It took me a while to realize Achewood was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

RSS is still the best. Took me a while to relent and try it, but I haven't looked back. I'm no longer madly re-opening dozens of pages every time I sit down at my computer. (I'm just refreshing my RSS every ten minutes)

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Since Google Reader was killed, I haven't found anything better than running my own Tiny-Tiny-RSS. Worth it, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mniot posted:

Since Google Reader was killed, I haven't found anything better than running my own Tiny-Tiny-RSS. Worth it, though.

Feedly is trying its best to emulate Google Reader. You just have to put up with a monthly 'hey answer this survey! / switch to premium!' type banner.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I just use Firefox's live bookmarks.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Inoreader is pretty sweet for RSS stuff

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
On reflection, the Tower was really the greatest thing the Minds could ever have done to Charlie. Long after they are dead, long after everything, Shirley will be on Charlie's rear end and getting in his way.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh my God, this is so much better/worse than any comeuppance I could have imagined for Charlie. She is so well meaning and mommish but this still has to be a nightmare situation for him. Zero control of himself physically, and now his role as Ruler means jack poo poo and he can't even send a thinkagram or access the arkendish without someone else's permission. And she'll be listening in! I wonder what happens when he tries something underhanded with a client...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoe posted:

Oh my God, this is so much better/worse than any comeuppance I could have imagined for Charlie. She is so well meaning and mommish but this still has to be a nightmare situation for him. Zero control of himself physically, and now his role as Ruler means jack poo poo and he can't even send a thinkagram or access the arkendish without someone else's permission. And she'll be listening in! I wonder what happens when he tries something underhanded with a client...

It's not someone he can sweet talk, he can't disband her, he can't get rid of her because it means getting rid of the whole tower, he can't go Gardening when he wants because she's cut his connection and will pull him out if he tries anything. As her ruler, she's determined to keep him alive, but she always wants him to be a moral, productive unit.

Most importantly, the tower is going to force him to play his cards straighter than he was. The Minds created a judge for him who would stop him from cheating.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shirley....Temple. :doh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

Daaaaamn.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I love how integrated dumb puns are into this setting

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

jng2058 posted:

Sigh.

I love it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

As the famous non-alcoholic drink, it's actually pretty apropos considering the effect Shirley's having on Charlie's Gardening habit, not to mention the damper she's putting on his notorious bad behavior.

It still pains me, though.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The amount of puns creeping into this comic... slowly turning into Xanth series.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Donkringel posted:

The amount of puns creeping into this comic... slowly turning into Xanth series.

Creeping? Dude the puns have been there from the start.

The integration and sophistication of the wordplay has been increasing though.

Jed Eye Knights was p great.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
It's not as if there was something as gauche as a group of soldiers called Knights in Stanley's Service in book one or anything.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Dude, the main character's name is an anagram of "protagonist", I really don't know what you were expecting.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Bad puns are not the reason why the Xanth books are awful.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Bad puns are not the only reason why the Xanth books are awful.

ftfy

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I mean, they are the third-biggest reason Xanth is awful, but there's such an huge, impenetrable gap between that and "incredibly skeevy views on sex and gender" that it almost doesn't come up.

(the second-biggest reason is the incredibly literal-minded take on morality that sounds like how kindergardeners talk)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

That sure is one goofy chicken, but what does that have... to...

:cripes:

(puns are hard to detect when you're not a native speaker, ok?)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Man, being a Ruler just isn't what it used to be for anyone these days, huh?

Both from her Predictamancy and just from knowing Jillian, I'd be surprised if Maria were actually surprised by this though. She's got to be up to something still.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Has there ever been a reason given that the fate of Erfworld seems heavily bound up in Jillian?

I don't dislike her character or anything, but as far as I can tell she's just a generic warlord being jerked around by powers far greater than she is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Galvanik posted:

Has there ever been a reason given that the fate of Erfworld seems heavily bound up in Jillian?

I don't dislike her character or anything, but as far as I can tell she's just a generic warlord being jerked around by powers far greater than she is.

She appears to be really important to Charlie for reasons we still don't know, given that he seems extremely invested in her survival, in ways that are very different from the way that he treats literally anybody else, and that this isn't because he likes her, because he doesn't.

From the perspective of everybody else, she's basically just a random warlord who Transylvito used as a proxy and a buffer state, and who's taken skillful advantage of the disruption in the region to grow quickly, except of course for Wanda and Ansom, who are her exes.

Has Parson ever even spoken to her?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

She appears to be really important to Charlie for reasons we still don't know, given that he seems extremely invested in her survival, in ways that are very different from the way that he treats literally anybody else, and that this isn't because he likes her, because he doesn't.

From the perspective of everybody else, she's basically just a random warlord who Transylvito used as a proxy and a buffer state, and who's taken skillful advantage of the disruption in the region to grow quickly, except of course for Wanda and Ansom, who are her exes.

Has Parson ever even spoken to her?

I am thinking that there is some sort of prophecy "Jillian Zamussels shall destroy all of Haffaton" or whatever side Charlie was originally on, so he is terrified of her. Prophecy isnt finished so he is doing his damndest to try and stop it.

I dont believe Parson has.

It is interesting to see every other person's view on Parson, because he provokes so many emotions. We know him as some poor mook from earth, but others view him as a dishonorable, terrifying giant.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Specifically it seems that he already HAS done a pretty good job of stopping her, and at THIS point if she dies the prophecy will pick a NEW agent that he hasn't already lobotomized. Thus, extreme investment in her survival.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Specifically it seems that he already HAS done a pretty good job of stopping her, and at THIS point if she dies the prophecy will pick a NEW agent that he hasn't already lobotomized. Thus, extreme investment in her survival.

That seems plausible.

I mean, she's definitely less lobotomized than she was at some point, but I haven't seen any indication that whatever was represented by the fool in her head has returned.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

some thoughts
The fool represents fate, which Charlie sees as the only enemy worth fighting. Jillian was discussed in book 0 as important mostly in relation to what she will do with respect to Wanda, who is the true ground zero of fate/prophecy/whatever. When Charlie removed the fool he removed fate’s ability to influence Jillian, or at least made her violently hostile to the idea of fate and being fated to do anything— which may be why she spent so long as a barbarian and seems to value her freedom so much. He supports her because she’s a tool he can deploy against his great enemy, Fate.

now, to expand on why he hates fate

it seems like parson’s coming was fated, and his mission to “break war”was fated. on the other hand, Charlie seems to go out of his way to provoke and sustain conflict across the world. on the one hand he needs it for profit, but basically he’s a huge force for instability in Erfworld (by being a huge, unstoppable military power that doesn’t take or hold territory, he prevents the existence of other large stable sides). perhaps Charlie fears that fate is leading to peace on erf and wants to prevent it by any means necessary. this could be explained by his mercenary greed, but...

tinfoil hat time

erfworld is a game. it follows game rules. if you conquer the world, or establish lasting peace, you have basically won the game. and what happens to a game after it’s won? you turn it off.

maybe Charlie is afraid that lasting peace on erf will bring the end of the world.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
What's interesting is that before the whole mess with Olive Branch happened, Charlie wasn't particularly interested in attacking or such.

Another thought: Perhaps the end objective here w/ Marie and whatnot wrt Jillian is to bring her and Wanda together so Jillain can be decrypted, since decryption seems to reset the unit and undo all sorts of damage, including whatever brain fuckery Charlie did to her.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kyte posted:

What's interesting is that before the whole mess with Olive Branch happened, Charlie wasn't particularly interested in attacking or such.

Another thought: Perhaps the end objective here w/ Marie and whatnot wrt Jillian is to bring her and Wanda together so Jillain can be decrypted, since decryption seems to reset the unit and undo all sorts of damage, including whatever brain fuckery Charlie did to her.

I want his very badly, and it almost seems like it could be the main reason Decryption was introduced in the first place....buuut, on the other hand, I'm not going to like it at all if Decrypted Jillian winds up infatuated with Wanda, given how unhealthy their relationship has been in the past.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Roger and Bill can't die soon enough. Vanna can join them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoe posted:

Roger and Bill can't die soon enough. Vanna can join them.

I'm just hoping this is another case of Roger thinking he's smarter than he actually is and getting dunked on.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Onmi posted:

I'm just hoping this is another case of Roger thinking he's smarter than he actually is and getting dunked on.

It's going to make Parson look really dumb if he falls for this. Yet another person asking him to use the scroll should probably raise his suspicions a little.

Likewise today's (yesterday's?) update: "am I a criminal just because I committed all these crimes" is not the strongest argument Charlie's made. But Buck's supposed to be dumb and Charlie's going through withdrawal so that makes more sense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's going to make Parson look really dumb if he falls for this. Yet another person asking him to use the scroll should probably raise his suspicions a little.

Likewise today's (yesterday's?) update: "am I a criminal just because I committed all these crimes" is not the strongest argument Charlie's made. But Buck's supposed to be dumb and Charlie's going through withdrawal so that makes more sense.

It's also double talk, by admitting to his crimes but treating them as minor and then hyping up his opponent for blame. It's very politician.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The Fox News logo is obvious, but what company is the Arkendish Network parodying?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Kyte posted:

The Fox News logo is obvious, but what company is the Arkendish Network parodying?

Dish Network.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Goes to show what I know of American companies!