Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

twitter is cancerous and harmful to discourse
actually twitter performs a remarkable service of confirming liberals are as depraved and anti-left as you actually think they are

also twitter banned russia affiliated news networks from advertising on twitter lol:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/technology/twitter-russia-today-sputnik.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
how is RT different from the BBC im too lazy to check

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

bernie is not good but if he can win elections he is infinitely better than the neoliberal democratic establishment

He's great!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

I'm guessing a lot fewer paedophiles at RT

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Where the BBC routinely attacks leftists and props up war criminals, RT gives a platform for entertaining and insightful personalities like George Galloway and Chris Hedges.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
rt is a good place to learn about what really happened on 9/11

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

and no he never did specify what the actual "fixes" to the aca were meant to be, because i'm pretty sure they have no idea
during the General Election as the Obamacare premiums were skyrocketing right before the election, the suggested proposal I heard on NPR was to increase the penalty for not having healthcare coverage

the "fixes" are out there and they are all hilariously terrible:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/30/15878560/congressional-democrats-fix-obamacare
  • Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA): use an individual mandate to lower costs
    this means to raise the cost of the penalty for not having healthcare coverage
  • Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV): improve savings, efficiency in health care system
    this isn't a loving plan. it's vague platitudes
  • Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT): need to get “good-thinking senators” into a room
    again, this isn't a loving plan
  • Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA): reintroduce “copper plans” as a way to insure those not covered by Obamacare
    allow people to subsidize the healthcare industry and get sucked into paying for worthless healthcare coverage. such a proposal would go hand in hand with increasing the penalty for not having healthcare coverage
  • Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN): lower drug prices, introduce “reinsurance” plan
    she does actually propose allowing drug reimportation and allowing medicare to negotiate drug prices. these are tiny zeno steps. also the democrats literally recently defeated a proposal to allow drug reimportation when a dozen republicans voted for the proposal so lol.
  • Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY): stop the assault on the Medicaid expansion
    this doesn't address the fundamental failures of obamacare. we'll still have by far the worst per capita healthcare spending in the world and the worst healthcare as % of GDP spending in the world
  • Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY): “We’re just fighting to save health care”

another hilariously terrible proposal dedicated to copper plans:
https://www.vox.com/2014/10/28/7083343/obamacare-copper-plans-explained

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

maybe dems SHOULD run on fear and on talking about how 90% of the jobs in the "recovery" have been temp jobs. how about you talk about that instead of data centers or whatever that robot ossoff was going on about :thinking:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the other common proposed "fix" i've heard is a medicare public option. some variations of this proposal is to only offer it in underserved rural areas instead of generally everywhere. the proposals generally set up the public option to fail with absurd stipulations and not allow the public option to compete meaningfully with private insurers. a fair and meaningful competition between a public option and private insurers would necessarily be the end of private insurers, so it will not happen. the intent of these proposals is to move back meaningful progressive healthcare reform further while pretending to be progressive.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

maybe dems SHOULD run on fear and on talking about how 90% of the jobs in the "recovery" have been temp jobs. how about you talk about that instead of data centers or whatever that robot ossoff was going on about :thinking:
america is already great

nafta was great for american jobs and workers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

BBC is actually OK (against all odds) while RT is pretty close to being a propaganda outfit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

LegoPirateNinja posted:

al jazeera is another one

the us govt is now getting the RT journalists and correspondents to register as foreign agents lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

RT actually allows progressive guests to show up on their network unironically unlike CNN et al

note that this isn't a defense of RT's news since I don't know what it is and don't watch it beyond some interviews I've seen

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

during the General Election as the Obamacare premiums were skyrocketing right before the election, the suggested proposal I heard on NPR was to increase the penalty for not having healthcare coverage

the "fixes" are out there and they are all hilariously terrible:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/30/15878560/congressional-democrats-fix-obamacare
  • Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA): use an individual mandate to lower costs
    this means to raise the cost of the penalty for not having healthcare coverage
  • Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV): improve savings, efficiency in health care system
    this isn't a loving plan. it's vague platitudes
  • Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT): need to get “good-thinking senators” into a room
  • Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA): reintroduce “copper plans” as a way to insure those not covered by Obamacare
    allow people to subsidize the healthcare industry and get sucked into paying for worthless healthcare coverage. such a proposal would go hand in hand with increasing the penalty for not having healthcare coverage
  • Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN): lower drug prices, introduce “reinsurance” plan
    she does actually propose allowing drug reimportation and allowing medicare to negotiate drug prices. these are tiny zeno steps. also the democrats literally recently defeated a proposal to allow drug reimportation when a dozen republicans voted for the proposal so lol.
  • Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY): stop the assault on the Medicaid expansion
    this doesn't address the fundamental failures of obamacare. we'll still have by far the worst per capita healthcare spending in the world and the worst healthcare as % of GDP spending in the world
  • Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY): “We’re just fighting to save health care”

another hilariously terrible proposal dedicated to copper plans:

The Klobuchar part could work if expanded beyond Rx pricing to the cost of care more broadly. Hard caps on pricing across the board could really cut costs. Certain doctors would probably have to work for less than $600k/yr to make this happen though, lol.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

twitter is cancerous and harmful to discourse

you can say that until you're blue in the face

but people themselves are what propagates discourse so they're already going to be cancerous and harmful to it, twitter just amplifies that :grin:

still nuke it tho

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"Discourse" in America lmao. Go rewatch the GOP debates for a sample of our traditional discourse.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

anime was right posted:

https://twitter.com/CarmenYulinCruz/status/924128503322300416 omg the takes in this twitter thread are literally reverse suckzone

the blow zone?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

"Discourse" in America lmao. Go rewatch the GOP debates for a sample of our traditional discourse.
Ron Paul on whether or not society should let the uninsured die
gop debate audience applauds perry's record on executions

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Feldegast42 posted:

I want someone to make a joke game mod where you can fight the Nazi's only using your words

Dialogue 3D

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

yeah but we must maintain the moral high ground at all cost or we're just as bad as nazis :smug:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

comedyblissoption posted:

[*]Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA): reintroduce “copper plans” as a way to insure those not covered by Obamacare

Come on man let’s at least cut these people a break, what if we call the copper plans gold plans, and upgrade silver and gold to platinum and diamond.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Introduce "dirt plans" to cover the remaining 10% of Americans. $10,000 deductible and only one care facility per state, but the with premiums as low as $500/month!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The general rule of thumb for national news networks is that they're good at covering events in foreign countries, but can never be trusted to cover their own. Yes, even the BBC.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The general rule of thumb for national news networks is that they're good at covering events in foreign countries, but can never be trusted to cover their own. Yes, even the BBC.

bbc is p deece for at least informing you that a british thing happened, even if you often wont get a full picture from their coverage

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saying medicare for all is not possible because republicans but fixing obamacare is is pretty lol. as if the republicans would ever get behind anything that would actually improve obamacare

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I can't believe Hillary Clinton colluded with the Russians to collude with Donald Trump to lose the presidency to Donald Trump

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/924661437062156291

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BERNIE!!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Man Musk posted:

I can't believe Hillary Clinton colluded with the Russians to collude with Donald Trump to lose the presidency to Donald Trump

Hillary colluded to waste 1.4 billion dollars on her failed election big

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hell yeah get em sandman

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Well I for one am grateful for the opportunity to work 100 hours for my liege

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just remembered that article someone posted where a dem pollster or focus group guy or whatever is flummoxed that the only dems that voters are excited about are bernie and to a lesser extent warren and lold

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

just remembered that article someone posted where a dem pollster or focus group guy or whatever is flummoxed that the only dems that voters are excited about are bernie and to a lesser extent warren and lold

It was a Atlantic article about Thirdway having a "safari" through "middle America".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/on-safari-in-trumps-america/543288/

Best of all, they then selectively edited the transcripts of questionnaires to make the people they were interviewing sound like small government types. Oh this is while make over a quarter million a year. Yes this is why we need gulgs. For these people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

It was a Atlantic article about Thirdway having a "safari" through "middle America".

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/on-safari-in-trumps-america/543288/

Best of all, they then selectively edited the transcripts of questionnaires to make the people they were interviewing sound like small government types. Oh this is while make over a quarter million a year. Yes this is why we need gulgs. For these people.

The whole point of the bad dem tower was trying to prove that their brand of Centrism was dead yet to the average american.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

Hale, who is 65 and lives in San Francisco, is a career activist who got her start protesting nuclear plants and nuclear testing in the 1970s.

literally got her start fighting green energy

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

no, but the market is free and by god that's all that matters :votegop:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

awful surprising how many MAGAs and libertarians immediately replied

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

but radiation glows blue :confused:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Isn't strange how hippies became Hill folk later on in life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

awful surprising how many MAGAs and libertarians immediately replied

A refreshing change from the usual 8%er freaks!

• Locked thread