Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My only complaint about Odyssey is the co-op mode feels like it only makes the game harder for player 1 and player 2 barely gets to do anything, but it's pretty clear that its just a bonus feature and not a major part of the game.

I'm sure that by next year you'll see a bunch of idiots rushing for the hottest take about how Odyssey isn't very noteworthy and how much they "padded" the game out with busywork.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH D-HORSE
NOW FANGS IS MY BEST FRIEND

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

My only complaint about Odyssey is the co-op mode feels like it only makes the game harder for player 1 and player 2 barely gets to do anything, but it's pretty clear that its just a bonus feature and not a major part of the game.

I'm sure that by next year you'll see a bunch of idiots rushing for the hottest take about how Odyssey isn't very noteworthy and how much they "padded" the game out with busywork.

Idk. My roommate and I have been pretty in sync. If anything, independent Cappy makes the hoppy enemies a nonissue, collecting coings extra easy, and the bullet bill sections infinitely easier since cappy can fly around while mario controls creatures.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for Sega. They finally had a year that had a Sonic game that could have been at least the best platformer of the year but now people are going to have some even remembering it at the end of the year.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Idk. My roommate and I have been pretty in sync. If anything, independent Cappy makes the hoppy enemies a nonissue, collecting coings extra easy, and the bullet bill sections infinitely easier since cappy can fly around while mario controls creatures.

It seems like it would make all the jump tricks you can do with Cappy really difficult

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I feel bad for Sega. They finally had a year that had a Sonic game that could have been at least the best platformer of the year but now people are going to have some even remembering it at the end of the year.

Yeah, when they saw Crash coming they shoulda got out the way.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Andrast posted:

It seems like it would all the jump tricks you can do with Cappy really difficult

With a shitload of practice it could make it easier for the person playing Mario, but it's way easier to just learn the jumps on your own.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Everyone's talking about Mario being GOTY but I'm just laughing at your hubris until Bubsy! releases.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH D-HORSE
NOW FANGS IS MY BEST FRIEND

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

whoops

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

my only problem with these spells is that i know not what they tell, so every hex leaves me perplexed and all i want are those plumbing fools

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

This is me except instead of basements I wreck piles of weed

That big Kirby plush owns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

I have no idea what in Odyssey could even be deemed "busywork." There are so many Moons sprinkled so liberally, literally anything and everything rewards you. There's zero grind or padding because every world so far is hardly tiny but also isn't a huge swath of land mainly comprised of emptiness. If anything, the fat has been trimmed off to perfection.

I'm guessing that's PC? I was hopeful it was PS4. Game looks pretty fun from everything I've seen. Taking a year or so off from AC did Ubisoft good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they get the writers of the Yakuza series to jump onto this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A land of ancient, untold mystery (371m to Lost Crypt waypoint).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Depending on when in Egypt's history that takes place, the ancient mystery part could certainly be true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AC: Origins isn't good

it's fantastic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

it's fantastic

:eyepop:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

chumbler posted:

Depending on when in Egypt's history that takes place, the ancient mystery part could certainly be true.

It takes place right around 0. So like a couple millenia after the pyramids.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

I think this came up in another thread, but yeah it's hard for people to wrap their heads around the idea that the time between the Roman Empire (when the game takes place) and us is about 2000 years, and the time between the Roman Empire and Ancient Egypt is even longer (2500 years)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saint Freak posted:

It takes place right around 0. So like a couple millenia after the pyramids.

38 BCE

Jesus DLC WHEN

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

it's fantastic

If I haven’t been interested in or liked AC since I got bored of it in 2, would you still recommend it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

38 BCE

Jesus DLC WHEN

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Absolutely loving Odyssey so far but all I can think of while I'm playing it is how absolutely insane the inevitable Odyssey 2 they'll make in a few years is gonna be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

If I haven’t been interested in or liked AC since I got bored of it in 2, would you still recommend it?

Actually yes, I've played about 6 hours and it really has that magic back that the first two games had. It rips a lot from Witcher 3, Skyrim and Zelda (you can climb every/any thing).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

38 BCE

Jesus DLC WHEN

You walk with Jesus into the temple, where he encourages you to talk to the money changers to buy Ubux to purchase lot crates.

Also Jesus is a templar and you have to kill him.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I found a boat that was transporting some lions so I freed them and they immediately knocked over some torches setting the boat on fire and the lions on fire and the slavers on fire and now my fps is like 2 and everything's fighting each other.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chumbler posted:

You walk with Jesus into the temple, where he encourages you to talk to the money changers to buy Ubux to purchase lot crates.

Also Jesus is a templar and you have to kill him.

The only loot crates in the game are the treasure boxes you open.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care what you say; the idea of an assassination game having enemy and equipment levels is absurd.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care what you say; the idea of an assassination game having enemy and equipment levels is absurd.

:confused:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

noted Dishonored/Prey/immersive sim expert Tom Francis likes AC Origins so I take that as high praise

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Heat Signature is basically a top-down Assassin's Creed in space

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Internet Kraken posted:

Everything is a RPG now, get with the times, grandpa

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand, it does kind of go against the entire Assassin's Creed ethos that "every man big or small can be killed by a dagger" is now "actually you must be level 11 with 500 gearscore to enter the king's palace." On the other hand, video games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nothing is true, everything is permitted (if you pass the gear check)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Can’t have loot boxes without rpg mechanics

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Samuringa posted:

Everything is a RPG now, get with the times, grandpa
Everything has RPG elements, because people hate the grind of an RPG, but love the feeling of getting stronger through grinding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
when you think about it, every thread is a loot box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Everything has RPG elements, because people hate the grind of an RPG, but love the feeling of getting stronger through grinding.

imo rpg elements are something that should never be used as a gate but instead as a crutch. if you can't a section on your skill alone, you grind. if you can fight it out, grinding should be next to unnecessary. like, if you cut out all the chaff, if a player wants to skip everything optional, the base power curve should be whatever you automatically get from doing the minimum linear content.

• Locked thread