Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Shooting nazis is cool and good, as they say, but I've seen people regard playing Wolfenstein 2 like it's some kind of woke activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you mean Doom I’m already on it.

Just imagine the hellspawn as nazis and the circle will be complete.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

First person shooters are already boring enough most of the time, but adding the nazi trope makes them unbearably so. I imagine people think they will get a big thrill out of the exercise due to some perceived ideological polarity that allows them to avoid any questioning of the game or their complicity within it. Except said interactions with videogame nazis are a form of fetishism, an obsession with fascist iconography (akin to sadomasochist roleplay) that doesn't explore any of the weird historical nuances or social consequences of fascist politics.

Sontag wrote some pretty amazing essays about S/M culture and its roots in fascist iconography, partly as a reflection on Riefenstahl's absolutely bizarre post-war art career.

tldr; nazi antagonists are boring as gently caress because videogames don't care about sociopolitical nuance or consequence, only fascist spectacle. kind of like fascists.

What if the nazis were more anime

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Just imagine the hellspawn as nazis and the circle will be complete.
Hellspawn are pretty bad but they can’t compete with human evil.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Policenaut posted:

According to Sony, E3 was "only half the story" which is basically them confirming that they're using E3, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Expo, and the PlayStation Experience as a weird kind of unending hype season.

I'm ok with that. I like being excited about upcoming video games more than I like being disappointed in the ones I have.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Shooting nazis is cool and good, as they say, but I've seen people regard playing Wolfenstein 2 like it's some kind of woke activity

Nazis coming out of the woodwork to condemn the latest in a series that has been about shooting Nazis for 30 years for its politics is going to have an equal and opposite reaction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's going to be the craziest circus when some actually shoots a nazi in real life and then the media tries to blame it on videogames where you shoot nazis.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

yeah that kind of marketing campaign is only gonna get more and more prevalent for the next couple of years

the whole 'white misogynists hate tfa so we should all like it more to spite them' bit was the forerunner for where things would go

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RBA Starblade posted:

What if the nazis were more anime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Tanya_the_Evil

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

katkillad2 posted:

I can't really pinpoint my issues with it, but really not feeling the new Wolfenstein. The controls feel weird, shooting enemies doesn't really feel satisfying and I'm not really digging the story this time around.

I'm not sure how much you've played, but keep playing. I felt the first few sections were pretty poor but it's starting to pick up and I'm digging it. I loved New Order from the start so I was expecting a lot too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Get a new model next sale. there are no permanent cures short of disconnecting the eject sensor

Yeah, I'm hoping for a sale on the Pro on Black Friday.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

As your attorney, I recommend getting in on the Alien: Isolation bundle on sale right now on the PS store. It's one of the games that will never leave my library, and twelve bucks is low enough I might rebuy the whole thing just for the couple add-ons I'm missing

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

I can't really pinpoint my issues with it, but really not feeling the new Wolfenstein. The controls feel weird, shooting enemies doesn't really feel satisfying and I'm not really digging the story this time around.

I had the same issue with the first one on PS4. Everything felt weird and disconnected and like there wasn't a lot of good feedback from either the guns or the dudes you shoot. Like you'd shoot the guys and they'd kind of just keep doing their thing until I guess you exhaust their HP and they call down. Half the time I wasn't even sure if I was hitting anything or missing or what. I never played The Old Blood and I haven't tried the new one though so I dunno. I loved the art direction and story so it was kind of a bummer it felt so sterile to play

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snak posted:

It's going to be the craziest circus when some actually shoots a nazi in real life and then the media tries to blame it on videogames where you shoot nazis.

I'm reading this on a lovely Mulia phone and the font is so small and hard to read I read that as craziest citrus at first.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Loved every Wolfenstein except this one (and The Old Blood). I'm just not feeling it at all, and I love killing nazis.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Sure, I guess in the sense that shooting videogame nazis and being woke are both flaccid, inconsequential forms of social protest :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sure, I guess in the sense that shooting videogame nazis and being woke are both flaccid, inconsequential forms of social protest :shrug:
Societal standards have shifted somewhat and just recognizing that nazis are bad isn’t a given anymore I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nazi sympathizers are probably still enjoying Wolfenestein and also the new COD though because they can’t put two and two together.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Societal standards have shifted somewhat and just recognizing that nazis are bad isn’t a given anymore I guess.

Some loudmouth morons excluded, I can't believe that's actually the case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wolf 2 feels like I'm made out of tissue paper and it's hard to get the crosshairs on enemies. The former is probably because I'm playing on too high a difficulty on top of the game being bad about communicating incoming fire, the latter I can presumably get used to if the aim assist is weaker than other games.

It's also kinda weird that there's a whole stealth system but with no stealth-related UI and instant detection/alarm upon entering an enemy view cone. The other games also had that problem.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

As your attorney, I recommend getting in on the Alien: Isolation bundle on sale right now on the PS store. It's one of the games that will never leave my library, and twelve bucks is low enough I might rebuy the whole thing just for the couple add-ons I'm missing

This game owns, and is permanently in my library, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

is there supposed to be a third week of that sale or is it over on tuesday

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

Wolf 2 feels like I'm made out of tissue paper and it's hard to get the crosshairs on enemies. The former is probably because I'm playing on too high a difficulty on top of the game being bad about communicating incoming fire, the latter I can presumably get used to if the aim assist is weaker than other games.

It's also kinda weird that there's a whole stealth system but with no stealth-related UI and instant detection/alarm upon entering an enemy view cone. The other games also had that problem.

I found the first game quite hard to adjust to after playing Destiny and Far Cry 4. It's like the horizontal field of view is too narrow and there's too little contrast between enemies and backgrounds. It's hard to figure out where enemies are but also when you are shooting at them if/where the shots are landing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
some orange peel would be a much more effective cat deterrent to place on top of your ps4 than a cucumber

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Salt and Sanctuary is p good, folks. One more day on sale.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Account management question:

If I want my wife to be able to watch netflix on my Primary PS4, while I play games on a secondary PS4, what's the best way to do that?

Should I set up a sub-account for her on the primary? My master account is on both machines.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wolfenstein 2 chat.

I loved the first one and wasn’t feeling the start of the new one as much. I’ve found it just took time to get used to how the controls felt and upgrading some of the guns made it feel like my guns were finally doing real damage.

Also for story purposes the game intentionally lowers your health but tries to make up for it with increased armour. I find that health packs were needed more though. Now that I’m past that point fights go a lot better and I’m loving how crazy the story is getting.

If you didn’t like the first game though you def wouldn’t like this one. For those who liked the first one and aren’t feeling it, the only thing I can say is try stick with it until you get your special abilities and if it’s still not clicking then I’d probably give up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The frequent talk about feeling fragile and not getting feedback on damage is what's putting me off Wolfenstein at full price. I loved the first game for letting me dual wield machine guns everywhere, but this one sounds too punishing with some really annoying sounding design choices. Fifty health in an action shooter? Bleh.

Does it work well on the PS4 at least?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've almost finished Wolf 2, the biggest problem is that it feels like all the interesting stuff is happening in cutscenes and the game part is just shooting the same guys in the same corridors. It's okay since I like the story but the game parts seem almost perfunctory.

poptart_fairy posted:

The frequent talk about feeling fragile and not getting feedback on damage is what's putting me off Wolfenstein at full price. I loved the first game for letting me dual wield machine guns everywhere, but this one sounds too punishing with some really annoying sounding design choices. Fifty health in an action shooter? Bleh.

Does it work well on the PS4 at least?

It's like that for about half the game but eventually you'll get stuff that means you can be a duel wielding hatchet throwing death machine, though you're always still in danger of a guy you hadn't noticed unloading in your back and killing you before you can react.

Runs great on PS4 same as Doom, if it ever drops below 60 I've never noticed.
I've gotten permanently stuck on stuff once and seen a hard crash too though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 30, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think Assassin's Creed Origins is good but maybe not for me. My biggest annoyance is that you're forced to do sidequests to meet the level requirement for the main missions (some of the midgame story missions have been pretty rad) otherwise you won't be able to damage the enemies. None of the sidequests have been interesting and definitely feels like I'm following a checklist for XP just so I can get through the game. That said this game has the most satisfying slow, big, heavy weapons I've ever used in videogames.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nazi sympathizers are probably still enjoying Wolfenestein and also the new COD though because they can’t put two and two together.

i actually checked the steam discussion forums for wolfenstein to see why the steam overlay wont come up while the game is running and its basically full of people saying the game is mean to nazis and thats wrong so i am not entirely sure this is right

they will definitely enjoy the new cod though because they can play as nazis

haveblue posted:

the game does a poo poo job of indicating what direction you're being shot from or what your state is as being one shot from dead and overcharged on health and full 200 armor is the exact same, but i think part of the early difficulty is that 50 health thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's because Steam overlay doesn't work with Vulkan yet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah i suppose i should have mentioned that i did find that out but i sure did have to scroll past a lot of "i feel like this games marketing is dangerous" threads to get there.

also i dont know if its because i have an amd card or vulkan is magic but this game runs really really well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vulkan is magic. DOOM runs on my PC @ 120fps with all settings maxed at 1440p on an i5 and 980ti, it's insane.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vulkan hard locked my system when I had a 660, but then I got a 1060 and it's loving great on that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what's vulkan

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what time is the marketing thing

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/924983076647854080

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's vulkan

A rendering API, like DirectX or OpenGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

what's vulkan

New rendering API (like OpenGL, Direct3D, etc.) with lower CPU usage, better use of multi-core, etc.