Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mazz posted:

Do lizardmen have a good counter to elf archer units that don't involve late game Dinos? Starting a Kroq and it seems like skink skirmishers don't stand a chance, nor do most of my cavalry unless I micro the gently caress out of them.

First quest battle throws some shades at you almost immediately.

Don't underestimate your javelin skinks. They move pretty quickly and have large numbers as well as passable melee stats, I used them to chase archers around (since archers most want to run away and not stand and fight). A volley of javelins to slow and debuff then charge them with the skinks.

HOLA SKINKS.

EDIT:

I'm playing a ME bretonnia campaign and holy poo poo the Norse. There's either a full stack in my land or if that is dead a full stack sailing towards my land. I've barely been able to expand, I've taken the wasteland, Lyonesse capital and one other minor settlement but I can't get anywhere because I'm neck deep in a terrifying norse thunderdome. What the hell Norsca, do you not have any other wars at all to prosecute? I tried to send an army up to fight you on your own soil but your bloody ships sailed right past me so I had to turn straight back around.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mazz posted:

It's Kroq's first quest battle, so its really just ignoring 3 units of shades long enough to not get hammered by the actual stack you have to fight later on. They are basically going to delete a unit of Saurus in that time. Seemed annoying to not really have any answer to shades, since my starting Cold Ones lose pretty handily if they stay in melee, or really make contact at all (I havent found real use for cav yet in my HE or DE games either compared to just more monsters). The Stega and Kroq just routing them as a priority might be an answer I guess, or just ignoring the quest till I have a better stack, but that seems kinda weird since I never did that with any of my other lords.

Put 3 chameleon skinks on the left flank and shoot up the shades since chameleon skinks have like 50% resist ranged or 65% if they are rank 7 and your lord has the red line trait. Put a dino or a mounted skink chief/priest on the right flank to pulp the witch elves. March everyone else down the center and eat the Dark Elves' lunch.

You cannot just ignore the shades because that armor piercing missile damage will gently caress you and their AP melee will jack up anything you send into melee, but their armor is kind of poo poo, they have no shields and skinks are faster than them so camo skinks can run them down and keep them permanently poisoned.

Chameleon skinks trade exceptionally well with other races archers in general, despite the pitiful range.

Edit: Has anyone made a mod yet that restores the foundation update skill trees for the OG TWW1 lords?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 30, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

I'm playing a ME bretonnia campaign and holy poo poo the Norse. There's either a full stack in my land or if that is dead a full stack sailing towards my land. I've barely been able to expand, I've taken the wasteland, Lyonesse capital and one other minor settlement but I can't get anywhere because I'm neck deep in a terrifying norse thunderdome. What the hell Norsca, do you not have any other wars at all to prosecute? I tried to send an army up to fight you on your own soil but your bloody ships sailed right past me so I had to turn straight back around.

It's funny playing ME as Empire. All the bad things seem to be happening to Kislev (who are surprisingly strong at this stage), Brets and Dwarves. All I've done is focus on eliminating the Vampires (which made the dwarves love me as it saved their beans while they were killing orcs) and then building economy and confederating. Thanks to the space I've been given, Akendorf or whatever (e: Wissenland faction) have expanded all the way to Estalia, so I have yet another bright green neighbour protecting me from harm while I bring the last few belligerent human factions into line with war.

I just got Gelt and bought some wizards for him. It's a funny stack since my original stacks are out there getting by with RoR units and mainline swordsmen since they haven't been home for a long time. Meanwhile Gelt has headed out with a battery of 4 rockets, 3 complementary wizards, great swords, reiksguard knights, both types of demigryph and a Luminark. I sent them down to support the human city of Ekrund (lmao) and they're just obliterating everything with terrifying firepower. It's good times casting net and then vanishing 5 units under comet and rockets while the rest of the army instantly goes "gently caress this" and turns to run.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 30, 2017

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I've been getting a BSOD when I launch this game recently. Is there a known bug or fix for this sort of thing?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

I've been getting a BSOD when I launch this game recently. Is there a known bug or fix for this sort of thing?

I think thats just the easier chaos event triggering.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Beer Hall Putz posted:

I don't know why anyone would use slaves for any reason in a proper campaign army (no you don't want to shoot your own troops even as Skaven!).

It's like you're not even trying to be Skaven.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tor Elasor's islands are insane when fully upgraded. You can see why they realised they'd need to cut them out of the full map.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I just realised what's making army recruitment and maintenance of a second stack so much harder is the lack of RoR. The Norsca/Foundation update can't come soon enough.

In the meantime:

Leave my provinces unbroken and quit the seas above my deck
Take thy boot from off my neck and take thy form from off to Kholek
Quoth the norscan, Surtha Ek

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
God damnit CA why doesn't the Dwarf Engie have a gyrocopter or cannon option as a mount yet? How that poo poo wasn't included right for the start I'll never know.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Knobb Manwich posted:

It's like you're not even trying to be Skaven.

Just smdh if the opening of all your skaven fights aren't 2 minutes of pounding artillery before letting your skavenslaves eat arrows and charges while your real melee units watch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Periphery posted:

God damnit CA why doesn't the Dwarf Engie have a gyrocopter or cannon option as a mount yet? How that poo poo wasn't included right for the start I'll never know.

Was that in the TT? because if it was, that would be a great way to balance them with warlock engineers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure how a hero unit with a cannon would actually work in the engine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
like a cannon, but with abilities like a cannon

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta give the Total War series credit; I've been playing these games since Rome 1 and despite having very active modding communities, I have never once seen a nude mod for any one of them. Until now. Thanks, steam workshop contributor "Emperor Trump".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vargs posted:

Gotta give the Total War series credit; I've been playing these games since Rome 1 and despite having very active modding communities, I have never once seen a nude mod for any one of them. Until now. Thanks, steam workshop contributor "Emperor Trump".

Uh. Naked fanatics nude mod back in Rome 1, the first one that had actual 3D models and not just sprites.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vargs posted:

man i remember a massive argument in the tw megathread over whether it was prudish to not want a mod that added barbarian penises

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gitro posted:

Just smdh if the opening of all your skaven fights aren't 2 minutes of pounding artillery before letting your skavenslaves eat arrows and charges while your real melee units watch.

I like to think my storm vermin and clan rats are cheering their slave friends on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A super good skaven play is having a full stack of slaves running next to each of your real armies. Send the slaves in so your real guys reinforce them. Run the slaves around randomly in different directions and have them start charging in from all angles or attract horsies to kill them. Set up your main army and start to pull apart out of formation units/drop arty on slaves.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I just run 2-3 plague wizards in my skaven stacks. They each get 6 casts of vermintide for a unit of clanrats, and the spell is so cheap that the wizards make up for it by themselves with the +wind skills they can pick up. Plus 2 more casts of either plague monks or stormvermin, though that is admittedly much more expensive. Lets you pretty much completely ignore adding a front line to your army, allowing you to replace those slots with even more artillery. I just keep 3-4 clanrats or stormvermin around to guard the warp cannons, though in most battles they just stand around and watch the fireworks.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Vargs posted:

Bonus points if they look anime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vargs posted:

I just run 2-3 plague wizards in my skaven stacks. They each get 6 casts of vermintide for a unit of clanrats, and the spell is so cheap that the wizards make up for it by themselves with the +wind skills they can pick up. Plus 2 more casts of either plague monks or stormvermin, though that is admittedly much more expensive. Lets you pretty much completely ignore adding a front line to your army, allowing you to replace those slots with even more artillery. I just keep 3-4 clanrats or stormvermin around to guard the warp cannons, though in most battles they just stand around and watch the fireworks.

This is my Empire army right now. Gelt with his arty and wizbros obliterating all and sundry while the mainline essentially stand there wide eyed waiting for the "battle" to finish.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Say I'm new as piss to both warhammer and total war, who's good to begin with in the old world?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

tithin posted:

Say I'm new as piss to both warhammer and total war, who's good to begin with in the old world?

Vamps and Dwarfs are both pretty easy. Empire is the most well-rounded and standard faction, but their start position can get pretty rough with enemies on all sides.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

tithin posted:

Empire. They're the most like a 'normal' army in any other Total War game, plus your position will force you to learn diplomacy and how to manage threats from every direction.

Alternatively, Dwarves are also really easy since you can beat most of your opponents in a straight-up fight and you are rich as gently caress so you can outnumber them too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tithin posted:

Dwarves are piss simple and pretty forgiving because your basic infantry are super armored and hard to dislodge, but it'll also teach you bad habits when you move to the other races just due to how durable your line infantry is compared to anyone elses.

Empire is a good Jack of All Trades faction and pretty much serve as the baseline for which all other races are compared. You don't excel in any given area but you don't really suck at any either. This is a hard one for TWW2 with the game as is because it's missing some quality of life patches from the last TWW1 patch and the Norse are kind of bullshit cheap right now.

Vampires can be pretty cool, you don't have any sort of ranged units and pound for pound your units kind of suck compared to everyone elses, but that's balanced by the fact that everything you have is scary and causes fear, sheer weight of numbers, and some of the best spellcaster lords and monsters imaginable. Lore of Blood owns and has one of the few spells that can restore dead members of a unit and it's dirt cheap.

If you want to try TWW2 territory, High Elves are about the next closest thing to 'standard total war', but like dwarves, it can teach you some bad habits regarding archers. They suffer a bit early from not a lot of unit variety and most of your armies for the first 50-80 turns will be huge blocks of spearelfs, huge blocks of archers, and huge blocks of archer spearelfs before the cooler higher tiered units start showing up.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tithin posted:

It depends on what you want. My recomendations:

-Empire is a fun faction that does some of everything and is located in THUNDERDOME WHERE ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE. The best faction with the best campaign but a bit stressfull. Both Gelt and Franz are cool

-Gromdibal. The start for you if you like pyrotechnics and battles where you're severely outnumbered, you will roast hundreds and explode hundreds of orcs a turn. A steady slow experience

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Going back a page or to the question of lords on mounts, my general understanding was that lords with monsterous mounts were always worth it combat wise, so your gryphons, dragons, dinos, etc. So basically horses/pegasi/eagles/terrodons aren't really worth it for pure combat stats, though obviously a fast flyer does have utility. I have been using Malahandir for Tyrion, is he not worth it? The 100 speed is very very useful for being wherever he needs to be.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

If it helps, cleanse your palate with this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185496945

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SickZip posted:

-Gromdibal. The start for you if you like pyrotechnics and battles where you're severely outnumbered, you will roast hundreds and explode hundreds of orcs a turn. A steady slow experience

Is it true that orcs are mushrooms?

Because I want to cook some

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am amazed so many subscribed to it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

I guess you are talking TWW1 and not Mortal Empires? Empire/Dwarfs like people have said are good starting points since one is pretty "standard" and the other is 4 foot armoured meatballs that yield to nothing and have great economy. I kind of feel like people overstate the location difficulty of Empire. Sure you are surrounded, but once you secure your province you can start to play diplomacy to confederate easily and use your armies to smash the local goblins/beastmen. I generally embark on a war against the vampires quickly because they can be a handful down the line and they also threaten dwarfs, who you want to be your powerful mountain friends.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

JBP posted:

A super good skaven play is having a full stack of slaves running next to each of your real armies. Send the slaves in so your real guys reinforce them. Run the slaves around randomly in different directions and have them start charging in from all angles or attract horsies to kill them. Set up your main army and start to pull apart out of formation units/drop arty on slaves.

This is my strategy. Vs really built up castles, have an army of just artillery and slaves. You use the slaves to occupy the siege towers, then your good army mops up behind them. With the right upgrades Skavenslaves cost almost other nothing in upkeep.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
One major improvement via Mortal Empires seems to be trade. I noted a lot of trade buildings give you a lot of other benefits. And they seemed to raise the trade cap because it seems like you get more money from trade agreements.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

One major improvement via Mortal Empires seems to be trade. I noted a lot of trade buildings give you a lot of other benefits. And they seemed to raise the trade cap because it seems like you get more money from trade agreements.

It's too bad the AI can be insanely weird about trade.

I had Louen upto +60 relations and he still kept refusing to trade. I eventually got frustrated to the point where I downloaded a mod to make the AI more willing to trade

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SickZip posted:

It's too bad the AI can be insanely weird about trade.

I had Louen upto +60 relations and he still kept refusing to trade. I eventually got frustrated to the point where I downloaded a mod to make the AI more willing to trade

I keep asking for trade agreements and the dude is nearly always like "gently caress YOU MATE" then their turn comes around and I get a deluge of requests for trade from them all :/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Also: Why the hell do so many factions get goddamn cavalry as part of their garrison? It makes me wish I could get multiple different options for garrison lineup, because typically anything that can't station on walls is at a distinct disadvantage, and while an argument could be made for cavalry to sally out to disrupt siege towers, often the enemy is attacking with such force they have plenty of supporting units to rout your cavalry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Panfilo posted:

Also: Why the hell do so many factions get goddamn cavalry as part of their garrison? It makes me wish I could get multiple different options for garrison lineup, because typically anything that can't station on walls is at a distinct disadvantage, and while an argument could be made for cavalry to sally out to disrupt siege towers, often the enemy is attacking with such force they have plenty of supporting units to rout your cavalry.

Just roll them out the door with no attackers/less attackers and smash hell out of that attacking force or ride on by and attack arty. But yeah I would be very happy to select my garrison units.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Just roll them out the door with no attackers/less attackers and smash hell out of that attacking force or ride on by and attack arty. But yeah I would be very happy to select my garrison units.

I always liked the mods that made your garrison variable according to the buildings you'd constructed. Garrisons fight alot of battles so its cool not to always have the exact same force

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

SickZip posted:

I always liked the mods that made your garrison variable according to the buildings you'd constructed. Garrisons fight alot of battles so its cool not to always have the exact same force

I like that some buildings now add a garrison, but those mods were always pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Cavalry in a garrison is fantastic for taking out artillery and ranged units after the enemy infantry hits your walls.

Also, have y'all noticed that the allies for Malekiths Spellshield quest battle arrive literally 30 seconds before the end of the battle, or was that just a fluke for me? Kinda appropriate for the quest description but still annoying.