Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:
Sunday Telegraph:

Why is Hollande still here, didn't they get the memo about Macron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vib Rib posted:

This is a really impressive story about an extremely clever and brave man, but it's so loving extraordinary and that's exactly what makes it a news piece for the ages. Unfortunately it's become a popular piece for the right and for meek centrists to shove around. I've seen it touted many times in the last week alone by people going "See?? Don't punch nazis make friends with them and they'll see the error of their ways!"
It's a near-legendary exception at this point and people use it as proof that all you need to do is be nice to nazis and they'll stop being nazis. They're just waiting for someone to show them the light! It could be you! Which some spin even further into it being the duty of any minority dealing with extremists to put themselves in harm's way and attempt to convert them, personally.

You need the face-punchers to make the converter more persuasive. It's good cop/bad cop.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's a real thing called false dawn or drinker's dawn which happens either when the booze in your system has worn off enough that it no longer keeps you asleep or you wake up still drunk because your body needs hydration. You're not actually rested but in the first case you can't get back to sleep and the second case you'll feel manic till the next day drunk wears off, after which you'll crash. It's the bane of any alcoholic's existence, that and going through your texts from the previous night.

Huh! I've had this happen to me before, but I never knew it had a name. Neat!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/dylxn_t/status/924440794425167872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Gary Ridgeway, The Grim Sleeper, The Beltway Sniper, The Zebra Killings. That’s off the top of my head.

I’m not a fan of fighting idiocy with idiocy.

My favorite part of this is that in your haste to smugpost about how you know all the serial killers, you included a white guy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Still got it Saint Sputnik, still got it.

Hihohe posted:

I think its from Daredevil on Netflix

Yeah it's from the season 1 finale.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Those fuckers! our poo poo!!

e: also thank you Saint Sputnik for a Fowl Herald right when I needs it most

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stiglich posted:

Former Philly DA Seth Williams sentenced to 5 years in prison for corruption.

By the way, Stiglich removed the traced pacifier 'toon from his facebook. Not sure why.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Hihohe posted:

This has been making the rounds and I love it
https://youtu.be/biehbIPqV8c

:gizz:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Those fuckers! our poo poo!!

went looking for the "those fuckers our poo poo" comic:

ended up being reminded that Day by Day is banned from the thread for all the right reasons :smithicide:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I always thought that Americans are really quick to jokingly label people as Nazis for silly things like obsession with grammar, I didn't forsee this criticism=The Real Nazis(tm) trend however.

Making fascists into a punchline is a good way to take their power away. The people that talk out one side of their mouth about how you can't take those clowns seriously, and out of the other how they deserve a platform because all voices are worthy on principle will do that regardless because all they want is to make "do nothing" the right course of action.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are there any cartoonists who just draw Trump straight-up bald?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why does the Clinton Foundation car have a confederate flag on it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Bors and Lubchansky are getting there pretty fast

And I think one of the British cartoonists draws Trump's hair as a ferret thing which is always escaping

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ularg posted:

Why does the Clinton Foundation car have a confederate flag on it?

I think that's supposed to be the undercarriage.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have no idea what Rauner did to piss off Allie, but at least he's not doing Madigan Bad cartoons for once.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Whatever it is, it's probably not exactly within Allie's particular vein of Conservative Heartlessness, so it's obviously BAD AND WEAK AND DUMB, WHATTA WUSS

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think Bors (or at least an artist at the Nib) draws him bald except for a few strands of combed over locks

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Numero6 posted:

Why is Hollande still here, didn't they get the memo about Macron?

I think it's supposed to be Juncker.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Marty Two Bull and one of the British toonists draw him as bald but wearing an animal as a wig.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonkudelka/status/924774951931936768

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it's supposed to be Juncker.
Ok makes sense, he does look Hollandesque.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Herblocking Part II, Electric Boogaloo: Prepare for some :words:.

Herblock posted:

2. Money, Money, Money

Few proposals in recent years have provoked more discussion than the idea of a guaranteed income for people below a minimum income level. The novel feature of this idea is that it would apply to the poor; there is nothing new about guaranteed incomes for the wealthy — and guaranteed profits and tax exemptions besides. Whether these things destroy the incentive of the rich to work for a living, I don't know. They certainly do not seem to destroy the incentive for further governments and more profits, which many of them pursue diligently, while also providing much gainful employment to lawyers and lobbyists.

I mention this not by way of "pitting class against class" — a charge, incidentally, which I have never heard leveld at those who speak for the well-heeled. As a matter of fact, I have always felt that the really great struggle in the world is not between the haves and the have-nots, anyhow. It is between those who get in the way of honest work and those who don't. By "those who get in the way of work" I don't mean the "shiftless" or idle, who at least avoid being obstructive. I mean those people who are so intent on self-advancement that they interfere with those who simply want to do the best possible job. This includes all who are more jealous of their prerogatives and more devoted to personal promotion than to the work itself or to any organization or service. They exist in every form of government and in every kind of occupation.

These people are not underemployed — they are overemployed. They hold up production while they go through unnecessary motions and put on great airs of importance to justify their positions and their paychecks. In their efforts to show authority and activity, they have no end of time to bother or hinder busier people in an effort to show how busy they are.

It is these overemployed people who should actually be given guaranteed incomes — with a guarantee that they not be allowed to think about work at all. They could also be given medals, honors, a gold watch, and possibly some badge which would entitle them to be saluted on the street. They would all be kicked upstairs into a state of permanent and innocuous glory, with everything necessary to satisfy their economic wants and their egos. This would cost no more than they already manage to get through full-time conniving and posturing — and think what it would do for the rest of the population!

The retirement of this great universal carbuncle class would make room for jobs for all the unemployed, and would at last release the full productive energies of the employed-but-frustrated, who would be free to get on with the world's work. It would raise production levels in every nation, while lowering blood pressure, the incidence of coronaries and nervous disorders.

Of course, there is one fatal flaw in this plan to push out the pushy and replace the ulcer-givers with those who previously got the ulcers. The administration of the program would probably fall into the hands of executives, admirals, colonels, bureaucrats or elected officials who had schemed, intrigued and shoved to get those powerful administrative positions. So those who just want to do a good job will probably have to continue coping with the other kind.

Enough of pleasant fantasy, then. But there is nothing unrealistic about assuring jobs and any necessary wage supplements for all who can work, and some kind of adequate living standard for those who cannot. This can be done through any necessary combination of private and public effort — and probably much cheaper than the costs of welfare, of preventable illness, hunger and increased crime. And if this would not get rid of the overbearing incompetents, it would at least help the underemployed and benefit society in general. But there is a hitch in this too, as in all the best-laid plans for human betterment: Money — or, rather, budgetary conceptions of money in relation to people.

In producing cartoons about financial and economic matters, there is sometimes a labeling problem involving the word "economy," which can refer either to the national economy or to the piggy-bank type. For the economic system, I usually use "The Economy" or even "The U.S. Economy" to avoid confusion.

Unfortunately, many politicians, in their work, don't seem to make any distinction between the two meanings. For some of them, economy (save those pennies) is equivalent to or closely related to a healthy national economy. And, often as not, they manage to do their saving in the places that will hurt the nation most.

Through long-overdue tax reforms, the government could save billions of dollars which go into the deep gold-lined pockets of oil multimillionaires and other beneficiaries of Congressional tax-law largesse. Subsidies, import quotas and special tax deductions all swell the incomes of those who least need a dollar. Congressman Henry S. Reuss offered a bill to close tax loopholes which he said accounted for more than four billion dollars in lost revenue annually. And he pointed out that there are thirty individuals with incomes of more than half a million dollars each who pay no income tax at all. All this is at the expense of the small taxpayer-consumer, who is guaranteed a bigger share of the taxes — and generally a bigger consumer bill besides.

But despite constant warnings of the need for a general tax increase to keep us on a sound fiscal basis, the situation never seems to get serious enough for tax revision which would bring into the U.S. Treasury those billions of dollars that the U.S. Government can't seem to lay a glove on. As far as the Congressional econo-misers are concerned, "Unto everyone that hath, shall be given — but from him that hath not, shall be taken away..."

The dangers of inflation are not lessened by failing to close those large loopholes. And the dangers of deflation, "recessions" and wider unemployment can be considerably harder on the wage earner than making-more-and-paying-more.

A man who was bitterly voluble about the requests of poor people for adequate living standards told me that in his day everybody got only what he earned, and none of this government-help nonsense. It turns out he had completely forgotten that in his day, which was during the great depression, the U.S. Government was pouring out billions for make-work projects, for relief, for anything that would get money into people's hands.

Similar projects are obviously no long-term solutions to today's unemployment. But to the man who can't get a job or the family with insufficient income for adequate food and housing, depression is here today — and no more tolerable for being a patch of desolation surrounded by unparalleled affluence.

Such contrasts exist in rural as well as urban areas. Writing about the farm price-support programs and food programs, Ralph McGill noted that in 1967 nine large landowners received a total of fourteen million dollars in benefits and that 42.7 per cent of the small landowners with gross incomes of less than $2,500 received only 4.5 per cent of the total benefit payments. Then, commenting on programs to get food to the poor, he noted an interesting irony: "Much of the opposition to the food programs comes from farmers, large and small, who are themselves conditioned to federal relief programs and could not live without them, but many of them strongly oppose feeding the hungry and any and all forms of welfare."

Congress practices its economies particularly on the poor, who, it apparently feels, must be suffering from delusions of grandeur if they think they are entitled to some of the help the government gives their betters. But it is capable of pinching government departments too — in the nonlegislative branches of government, that is. Some of these savings have been, to use the current term, counterproductive, even in the short run. For example, cutbacks of about seventeen million dollars in the Customs Bureau and the Internal Revenue Service were estimated by those departments to result in reduced collections of over seventy million dollars. Estimated net loss of that "economy": fifty-three millions.

But this is small stuff, and not nearly so dangerous as the "savings" of a few millions here and there on rent supplements, model-cities programs, the Teacher Corps, and other all-too-modest measures to relieve desperate needs.

In June 1968 the House of Representatives indulged itself in the kind of appropriation-chiseling that serves as a fine example of save-a-little-and-lose-a-lot "economy." It cut by half a piddling thirteen-million-dollar appropriation needed to give a little muscle to the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. This kind of action somehow suggests toasting marshmallows over smoking slums. It is not economy. It is insanity. It is an invitation to disaster.

During the long, hot and violent summer of 1967 the U.S. House of Representatives turned down a Presidential request for some forty millions for a two-year rat-extermination program program — and the Congressmen literally laughed as they did so. Representative Joel T. Broyhill of Virginia told the House, "I think the 'rat smart thing' for us to do is to vote down this rat bill 'rat now.'" It might have been more to the point if he had made his little pun on "rats" and "riots," which have some connection with each other.

This Bourbon let-them-eat-cake-ahaha attitude produced such an outcry from the press that a shamed Congress did authorize a rat-control program. But almost a year later the New York Times noted that Congress had not yet actually appropriated a single dollar to fight rats, and it commented, "After all, the rats won't be biting the Congressmen. Only the poor people."

What probably would be biting Congressmen would be the unruly behavior of people who were probably being stirred up by "troublemakers" or "conspirators" of some kind.

Acting on a larger scale financially but with some of the same mini-mind economy principles, the House Ways and Means Committee, in the spring of 1968, demanded a six-billion-dollar cut in spending — this despite the President's insistence that four billion was the maximum that could be cut without serious danger to needed domestic programs.

Some of the more militant economy advocates combined fiscal fears and injunctions against cutting arms programs with stern warnings against any legislation that would seem to "yield" to the Poor People's Campaign in Washington.

There is never a good time to help the poor. When they stay in their hovels, there is no need to give them attention. And when they make so bold as to seek public notice, aid to such brazen folk would constitute "yielding to pressure."

The Poor People's March, then under way, had been planned by the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It had brought to Washington an encampment of the poor, who tried in a sadly inept, often confused and almost incoherent way to let the Congress know that attention must be paid. Long before these people engaged in civil disobedience and were disbanded, it was apparent that the only interest of the "economy" advocates in the poor was that they should go away and take their problems back with them.

Despite the speeches made at the Lincoln Memorial, perhaps the most eloquent note of the Poor People's March came earlier when the inhabitants of the rain-soaked and flooded area near the Memorial which they called "Resurrection City" were warned of the dangers of disease. The marchers noted simply that they were used to having the rain come in on them, and that in the small plywood tents they were living better than they did at home. At least there were no rats here.

The six-billion-dollar slash insisted upon by Congress was ostensibly to fight inflation, maintain a sound fiscal policy and a sound dollar. But this was hardly an amount calculated to stem inflation, and the great champions of "economy" usually seemed to forget these pressing fiscal problems when appropriating all the billions for arms and moon travel, and supersonic transport — or when considering appropriations for the home districts, or regulation of "the private sector" or placing any burdens on the affluent. Many of them seemed to feel they could save the economy by socking the poor, whatever the ultimate cost to the nation in lives and dollars.

There are indeed fiscal problems which must be considered by an Administration and by Congress, although there is no agreement among economists about exactly what is "sound" policy. And there are still those inflation dangers to be considered.

But it has seemed to me that there has also been an unnecessary inflation of fiscal worries — about things like balances-of-payments and gold-and-dollar exchange. To a nation with more than a hundred billion dollars in direct overseas investments, is a three-to-four billion balance-of-payments deficit really frightening? Is it more alarming than the deficits in ten million American stomachs reported in 1968 by the Citizens' Board of Inquiry into Hunger and Malnutrition in the United States? Not to me it isn't.

Is it too dreamy to suggest that a little more domestic adherence to the Golden Rule is more relevant than the tie still maintained with the memory of the gold standard? If the dollar were cut loose completely from gold, I don't know that we would really have to lie awake worrying about whether bankers abroad might worry. Would they prefer to turn in their dollars for drachmas?

In a nation with a Gross National Product of some 820 billion dollars, would deficit spending to help lick unemployment and slum problems, to provide for a better-fed, better-housed, better-employed people producing more and buying more, be a dangerous investment? I don't think so.

I don't think a concern for sound minds and sound bodies is exactly incompatible with sound fiscal policies. The dollar I worry about is the one that does not have a sound nation behind it.

Saving is fine in the right places and where it really counts. To help Congressmen remember, here is a maxim they can hang on their office walls:

A people saved is a people earned.

2 Can someone who knows French history explain what this was about?

3 Herblock was very good, but even he fell victim to the awkward label.

6 A Paul Krugman Cartoon.

9 Full caption is "Tell the peasants we find their appeals amusing."

11 Sadly, though L.B.J. was able to slay Congress in revenge, he and Congress's cousin both committed suicide shortly after.

16 protectionism.jpg

18 Referring to the Poor People's March.

20 I think this could have been drafted better.

That's all for now! Next week's topic: Vietnam.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

you were missed, y fowl herald

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Shameful confession: At first glance, I always think Ye Fowl Herald has two heads rather than a wing pointing left.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Shangri-Law School posted:

Herblocking Part II, Electric Boogaloo: Prepare for some :words:.

After years of reading this thread it's weird seeing a good Scrooge metaphor.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I know it won't happen, but if the indictment is against Trump then this thread will become magical.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It'll still be magical if it's any of Trump's inner circle.

Here's to hoping it's Kushner or Don Jr., and after they're convicted Trump turns around and immediately pardons them, allowing any investigations against Trump to start from the position that everything the little guy did was true

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Why is Carmen sad about not being too old for Halloween?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Shangri-Law School posted:

2 Can someone who knows French history explain what this was about?

I don't know French history, but that's in reference to when Charles de Gaulle sent the French Navy to the United States to exchange France's USD for their gold value.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jesus gently caress

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hahaha, wow, this might be the worst take I’ve ever witnessed

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

thecluckmeme posted:

Jesus gently caress

You hear that? That faint sound in the distance? That's Gary McCoy screaming "WHOOOOOOOOOOORE!" at the top of his lungs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Putting aside the horrible opinion, how does someone who draws like an 8 year old even get published?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Look Who's Talking #MeToo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well this is just utterly vile

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I wish "Stone Cold" Steve Austin would give all of the McCoy brothers the Stone Cold Stunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait I thought women were coerced into getting abortions by that dastardly Obama and they don't really want them, which is why banning abortion (and birth control, for some reason) actually helps those poor poor slu fragile members of the fairer sex.

• Locked thread