Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Tech comes and goes and suits whatever story the director/writers/producers wanted to tell. Nit picking how stuff should have fit is just silly. Look at Thunderbolt (which I really enjoy) the super suits in that one should fall under the same scope of complaint but I haven't seen anyone gripe about it there. It looks good, and modern animation can allow for faster motion action than the 80s. I think that has some to do with it as well. 0083 is absolutely gorgeous whatever you think of the characters or plot.

All of the OVAs have that problem to a certain extent, it's just that 0083 is probably the one that is the most overt about it. Thunderbolt is just as much at fault as well, even if people aren't openly talking about it, especially since most of the discussion that brought this up was about 0083 and not Thunderbolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

For anyone not following the Versus thread, just started a casual play room named It's a goondam! that will be open for the next hour or two.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunderbolt is also set in a semi separate continuity from the true UC. The original story writer has said as much. He was basically given a carte blanche to go nuts with his story rather than try to slot it into preexisting continuity.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I picked up Zeta Gundam thanks to the anime recommendations thread and I'm watching the 8th episode now. The oldest Gundam till' now I've watched is 08th MS Team - Watched mainline series/OVAs since Seed pretty much and what strikes me weird is:

1. So much better world building/portrayal of tech than in newer Gundams.
2. People acting/talking like humans for the most part. Self-aware to a degree, like not just accepting that child soldiers are okay. Even if it's lip-service.
3. Female characters with actual strong personality/agency that goes beyond a trope.
4. Even antagonists that seem to have at least some good points that make them somewhat interesting, no insane mobile suit pilots that are constantly cackling and wishing destruction upon whatever.

I can definitely feel that Reconguista and this are by the same director. Reconguista's pacing was way more rapid and psychotic in comparison though.

I'm sure some of the good points can be diminished as the series progresses, but I can't help but think "What the gently caress happened to Gundam?" while watching this. Or is it just anime in general? It didn't really come as that big of a surprise per se but holy poo poo it's jarring when most of your Gundam viewing history are the newer series - even if I can enjoy the melodramatic poo poo in the newer ones.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dessel posted:

2. People acting/talking like humans for the most part. Self-aware to a degree, like not just accepting that child soldiers are okay. Even if it's lip-service.
3. Female characters with actual strong personality/agency that goes beyond a trope.
4. Even antagonists that seem to have at least some good points that make them somewhat interesting, no insane mobile suit pilots that are constantly cackling and wishing destruction upon whatever.

I'm sorry, what? You said you were watching Zeta, did I misread your post?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm sorry, what? You said you were watching Zeta, did I misread your post?

Yeah, it seems like you misread his post. It made perfect sense to me

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it seems like you misread his post. It made perfect sense to me

Yeah it was a good post

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the only one of those i'd object to about zeta was the last one and that's mostly just in the late-series and they said they're only on episode 8

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Zeta Gundam is arguably the best Gundam series. The other potential bests are the MSG movie trilogy, Turn A, and 0080.

I have never seen a reasonable argument for another choice.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

brainwrinkle posted:

Zeta Gundam is arguably the best Gundam series. The other potential bests are the MSG movie trilogy, Turn A, and 0080.

No way, those three are like my last choices when thinking about what to rewatch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Zeta loving rules

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

brainwrinkle posted:

G Gundam. Wild card, bitches.:madmax:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll never understand the love for G Gundam. It's the monkey purple dishwasher of the franchise and a good ten hours too long.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bimmi posted:

I'll never understand the love for G Gundam. It's the monkey purple dishwasher of the franchise and a good ten hours too long.

i don't understand your first complaint but just about every 50 episode gundam series is ten hours too long

(except turn a)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bimmi posted:

It's whole-hearted in its silliness, and it all has a thematic point. I respect that, in a silly show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bimmi posted:

I'm sure we all have that one series that people love and we just can't see what's good in them.

As the previous post might've shown, that is Zeta for me. But I get the fandom loves it, so I guess whatever's good in it just doesn't work for me specifically.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dessel posted:

I picked up Zeta Gundam thanks to the anime recommendations thread and I'm watching the 8th episode now. The oldest Gundam till' now I've watched is 08th MS Team - Watched mainline series/OVAs since Seed pretty much and what strikes me weird is:

1. So much better world building/portrayal of tech than in newer Gundams.

I can definitely feel that Reconguista and this are by the same director. Reconguista's pacing was way more rapid and psychotic in comparison though.

I'm sure some of the good points can be diminished as the series progresses, but I can't help but think "What the gently caress happened to Gundam?" while watching this. Or is it just anime in general? It didn't really come as that big of a surprise per se but holy poo poo it's jarring when most of your Gundam viewing history are the newer series - even if I can enjoy the melodramatic poo poo in the newer ones.

Hey, cool! I just wrapped episode 10 and I agreeeee this show is so good. Its attention to detail - from tracking mechs in space visually to what the moon would be like to... everything. I love it. I love the politics, too.

Tomino's characters get weird sometimes, but they're so human and his world-building and politics feel real. I love it. I love it a lot.

As for "what happened to anime" - well, different creators, different shows. There are still some really good, really detailed shows with strong themes - but the age of 50 ep sci-fi sagas with intense attention to detail is over. I'd also say that the interest in mecha is waning, too - instead of getting five thousand mecha shows in a year and multiple mecha franchises, we're getting moe instead. :shrug:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't understand your first complaint but just about every 50 episode gundam series is ten hours too long

Apart from a few standout arcs, it's incredibly repetitive and boring. And the "humor"... ehh....

Look, I gave it a chance, I really did. I tried to watch the whole thing some years back and then just noped the gently caress out with like 4 or 5 episodes to go. Couldn't take it anymore. I suppose I should watch those last few episodes someday, but why even bother at this point? Not my kinda thing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kamille's not a remotely realistic person at the beginning of Zeta, and I'd love to know why people think he is. He's 17, not 8, and that kind of poor impulse control he continuously displays would have been noted by authorities well before the start of the series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

(except turn a)

you're right

it's 50 episodes too long :unsmigghh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Kamille and Amuro both act their much more than 90% of anime characters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Kamille's not a remotely realistic person at the beginning of Zeta, and I'd love to know why people think he is. He's 17, not 8, and that kind of poor impulse control he continuously displays would have been noted by authorities well before the start of the series.

that would imply a world where authorities are competent and well-meaning and uh, we all know how zeta-era tomino feels about that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

He's autistic and really, really bad at managing his emotions. It feels realistic to me, especially because he's a teenager.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah Zeta's weird part definitely so far was Kamille in the beginning. I don't even know how to describe the illogical way he handles things there. :psyduck: But he seems to be getting better.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, cool! I just wrapped episode 10 and I agreeeee this show is so good. Its attention to detail - from tracking mechs in space visually to what the moon would be like to... everything. I love it. I love the politics, too. (...)

Definitely paid attention to how the moon is portrayed, how the starship docks are built into a ridge of the bedrock, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dessel posted:

Yeah Zeta's weird part definitely so far was Kamille in the beginning. I don't even know how to describe the illogical way he handles things there. :psyduck: But he seems to be getting better.

Definitely paid attention to how the moon is portrayed, how the starship docks are built into a ridge of the bedrock, etc.

It's not so much as Kamille's mad as hell, lashing out, and short sighted due to angry tunnel vision.

"He called me a girl! gently caress him!"
"They'll arrest me again if I don't leave RIGHT NOW"
"I'm going to get back at that guy with a gundam, I know how to operate them, there's one still in the hangar, fuckit"

Like, he's obviously being stupid but there is a logic in his actions. Then things snowball from there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the way kamille's situation escalates non stop in the first episode of zeta is incredible. he knows exactly the wrong choice to make at every turn and isn't afraid to let things like "reason" or "common sense" dissuade him

it felt like a realistic thing for a dumbass teenager with unresolved anger issues to do but man was he a dumbass at the start of zeta

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It doesn't feel realistic at all; it feels like a player rolling repeated natural 1s in a D&D session and stumbling face first into greatness.

Kamille becomes great accidentally, as far as I'm concerned.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

the way kamille's situation escalates non stop in the first episode of zeta is incredible. he knows exactly the wrong choice to make at every turn and isn't afraid to let things like "reason" or "common sense" dissuade him

it felt like a realistic thing for a dumbass teenager with unresolved anger issues to do but man was he a dumbass at the start of zeta

Hell, I'm well past Kamille's age and I'm still great at making the worst possible choice at all times

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone who grew up in America should recognize Kamille as an angry rich kid with issues who ends up joining the Symbionese Liberation Army.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Some people just make really bad decisions. Kamille makes a string of extremely bad decisions that are all perfectly within the realistic bounds of being a dumbass, angry teenager let alone one with everything ramped up to 500 because he's a newtype.

In essence he lashed out at a guy that insulted him, got beat up by a cop, interrogated and then stole a SWAT van to teach the cop a lesson. In 2009 an 18 year old British soldier stole an armoured command car in Germany and when they finally got him he broke out and stole a tracked army ambulance within like 30 minutes. Admittedly that guy was drunk, but Kamille is mad as hell and a magic brain baby with all the wrong answers and he's good and real.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I also like that he realizes after his string of bad decisions that getting involved in the war will be loving terrible. And then he gets sucked in anyway.

The contrast between Kamille and Katz is really good y’all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Kamille and Amuro both act their much more than 90% of anime characters

Wufei's wife.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zeta starts out fine before it goes the Gundam trope of tragic girlfriends and newtype/psychic ghosts

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What makes Tomino so good at writing memorable characters is that he understands the people always have a motivation, but that motivation isn't always consistent and certainly isn't always logical. Like, I watched the first few episodes of Xabungle and the best character is this spoiled rich girl named Carrying. She has a stated goal of making culture bloom on their lovely cowboy planet. But almost none of her actions further that goal, and are often contradictory. She'll free the main character from prison, let him steal the Xabungle, then chase him to get it back, the offer him a job, then let him almost die in an ambush, it's all over the place. It would be really easy to just write Carrying off as an incomprehensible, terrible character. But everything she does makes sense if you consider her actual motivations. Which are, in order, be entertained, express her independence to her father, gain approval from her father, annoy the robot pilot who wants to marry her. Everything she does makes sense if you think about what she actually wants in any given scene.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tae posted:

Zeta starts out fine before it goes the Gundam trope of tragic girlfriends and newtype/psychic ghosts

Yeah, then it gets really good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I appreciate the Gundam thread just for how hard it bucks the idea of a goon hivemind. The only thing we can all agree on in this thread is that we'll never all agree on something. I mean, there's even somebody in here who likes AGE.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

We all agree that the Tallgeese is the best unique mobile suit and the Leo is the best grunt.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chumbler posted:

We all agree that the Tallgeese is the best unique mobile suit
Not counting anything from GBF anyways, because that's just cheating.

It's the Gundam Fenice.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

chumbler posted:

We all agree that the Tallgeese is the best unique mobile suit and the Leo is the best grunt.

No, that would be the Hygogg and the Hygogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgylfF_Y8oY

Seriously, look at this and tell me it's not perfect.