Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

davestones posted:

Any recommendations for a dock for both iPhone and watch? My bedside table is already a jungle of wires so need to tidy up a bit :(

This is the one I use, it's pricey but good

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7TJRSE/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

MarcusSA posted:

Lol cell carriers are such dick bags.

I’m sure you’ll call and get it fixed but I’m sure they are counting on lots of people not even paying attention.

Yeah, I'm sure it is even planned out intentionally.
The person on the call was like 'oh really let me look into this', a few minutes go by and he comes back with 'oh I can waive the activation fee!' and I have to explain that this isn't some exceptional concession I'm asking for, its what was advertised. I'm on hold again.
Wouldn't something like this be eligible for a class action?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

rage-saq posted:

I look forward to getting ATT credit for $0.76 in 2021 if this happens.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Best Buy is deeply discounting the S2, if any of you are interested. 38mm for $230.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I used Maps on my watch to walk to a job interview today. It's a game changer. Really loving this watch. Wore the watch to the gym. Rubber band doesn't give me a rash. Feels really comfortable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

I used Maps on my watch to walk to a job interview today. It's a game changer. Really loving this watch. Wore the watch to the gym. Rubber band doesn't give me a rash. Feels really comfortable.

Cool, gimme an update in a few days about the band. It was fine for me for a while but I guess I have a skin reaction to the nickel. It happens every so often.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cool, gimme an update in a few days about the band. It was fine for me for a while but I guess I have a skin reaction to the nickel. It happens every so often.
Might want to try complaining to Apple about it. I remember when the original came out some people had reactions and Apple replaced their bands with other types.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never got a rash wearing the rubber straps. I generally wear nylon except to the gym, though, since I think it looks and feels better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it is even planned out intentionally.
The person on the call was like 'oh really let me look into this', a few minutes go by and he comes back with 'oh I can waive the activation fee!' and I have to explain that this isn't some exceptional concession I'm asking for, its what was advertised. I'm on hold again.

I swear I don’t think it’s plan.

Now, if you were to say that the people setting up this crap are incompetent and suck, that I would agree with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I guess but that’s like saying bank makes an error in their favor you pay them 2 million dollars.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So someone sell me on if the Stainless Steel version is worth the extra cost.

So far, all I've heard it's heavier than the Aluminum and so feels more solid.

For the record, the only thing the Stainless Steel has in its favor is that I like its Black aesthetically over the aluminum Space Gray.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It looks nicer IMO if you plan on wearing it in formal/semi formal settings but also looks great dressed down.

Otherwise, no difference. It doesn't hold a better resale value so if you want to do it for that then don't bother.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SS looks/feels nice and I don’t find it heavy with my dainty wrists. I wear it formally too and like the shiny sides. Otherwise, meh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thwomp posted:

For the record, the only thing the Stainless Steel has in its favor is that I like its Black aesthetically over the aluminum Space Gray.

I don’t think it’s worth it. The aluminum ones can still look pretty nice for more formal occasions with certain bands. It also feels like I’m not even wearing a watch sometimes. It’s a subjective thing though so get what looks nice to you if you can afford it.

I believe the glass for the screen is more rugged on the stainless steel ones so that may be a bonus for you as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, SS has a sapphire coating on the screen. It's just a coating though so if you try hard it's definitely scratchable.

The other nice thing is you can buff scratches out of the casing if you're careful or take it to a pro.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, SS has a sapphire coating on the screen. It's just a coating though so if you try hard it's definitely scratchable.

The other nice thing is you can buff scratches out of the casing if you're careful or take it to a pro.

The SSs entire screen glass is sapphire. I believe there is an oleophobic coating on it but the entire glass is sapphire.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kohl's has $70 Kohl's cash available on some models of the series 3 GPS:
https://slickdeals.net/f/10690656-apple-watch-series-3-gps-38mm-329-and-42mm-359-60-70-kohl-s-cash-triple-yes2you-rewards

Good deal if you shop at Kohl's at all. I'm half debating picking up the 42mm one...

e: Nevermind, looks like they are canceling all orders or something.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 27, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Thwomp posted:

I dunno if this is still true for the S3 but I remember reading that the lighter aluminum watches resulted in the Taptic Engine (thanks autocorrect for that official capitalization™) feeling better than it did on the steel version.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I like the solid feel of the SS and the sapphire screen is important to me. My S0 screen got scratched the gently caress up and cracked though it was still usable. I'm only on week two but no scratches yet on the SS even thought I accidentally smacked it a couple times on metal bollards at work and dropped the whole thing on outdoor concrete.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I like the SS version not for the case material but the crystal. I've owned a bunch of watches over the years and in day to day wear and tear sapphire crystal looks amazing even after loads of abuse and everything else looks like poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SS looks better, in general, and that it has a sapphire screen is why I went with it. No scratches after a year on my S2, while my aluminum S0 took quite a beating. (The SS case, itself, is quite scraped up, so it's not like I've babied the thing.)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I see there is way more variety in the straps available from Apple now than last time I looked.

Anyone have an opinion on the Sport Loop or Leather Loop designs?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dissss posted:

I see there is way more variety in the straps available from Apple now than last time I looked.

Anyone have an opinion on the Sport Loop or Leather Loop designs?

I like the sport loop for workouts more than any other, but it's incredibly casual looking.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Got two knockoff woven nylon bands and they're both excellent. Might be a bit of a lottery on quality but the price is right. Hopefully they hold up. Got the blue and check black

Smart Watch Band, Uitee Newest Woven Nylon Band for Apple Watch Series 42mm 3/2/1 , Comfortably Light With Fabric-Like Feel Wrist Strap Replacement wi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761VPV8N

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cross-posting from the YLLS fitness thread...

Any new recommendations on a lifting log tracker?
I've been using Jefit Pro for like 7 years and it's cool. Curious if anything better has come out recently. I've been considering purchasing an Apple Watch, so something that has an AW app would be preferable.

I see Strong and Gymaholic are pretty popular, but anything decent is locked behind a subscription. Jefit seems to give me all these "premium" features already, but it doesn't have AW support.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Apple Watch isn’t much use for lifting, at least for any automatic tracking. I just do barbell training (starting strength) and wearing a watch becomes a minor annoyance during some of the lifts. In fact, it’s one of the few times I take my watch off and leave it in the locker.

If you don’t mind wearing a watch lifting, there might be something that has an app you can use for logging your progress. Since I’m on Starting Strength I use their iPhone app, which is excellent for doing the program unfortunately doesn’t have a watch app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weird, nothing I do with a barbell gets in the way of my watch. The only time I have to take it off is slam balls because the ball will knock it off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Strong is well worth the one time $3.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

The Dave posted:

Weird, nothing I do with a barbell gets in the way of my watch. The only time I have to take it off is slam balls because the ball will knock it off.

Biggest problem I have lifting with the AW is that it doesn’t monitor heart rate very well. I can be sucking wind hard and the watch will be like “72bpm for the last 30 mins”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Dave posted:

Yeah, the worst that happens to me is I'll compress the button enough for Siri to pop up. It's annoying, but not a hindrance in any way.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Strong is well worth the one time $3.

Am I missing something? It looks like Strong is free but has monthly/yearly/life subscription options. I’m looking on my phone because I don’t have an AW yet, but I thought they were the same app?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Am I missing something? It looks like Strong is free but has monthly/yearly/life subscription options. I’m looking on my phone because I don’t have an AW yet, but I thought they were the same app?

I think it recently switched over to subscription. When I bought it it was a one time fee but then an update a few months ago said something about a subscription.

I love the iPhone app but don’t use the Watch app because it was pretty slow last time I used it in my S0.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Guess the model changed, bummer. It's a really good app, but cannot say that any of these are worth a recurring cost.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, that sucks. Suppose I'll stick with Jefit.

Unrelated question, if I get an LTE S3, can I enable/disable the LTE plans via ATT whenever I want? Say I want to use it this month, but cut it off for a couple months. Is that possible?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

drat, that sucks. Suppose I'll stick with Jefit.

Unrelated question, if I get an LTE S3, can I enable/disable the LTE plans via ATT whenever I want? Say I want to use it this month, but cut it off for a couple months. Is that possible?

Def possible. Only question is whether st some point carriers will start charging activation fees to try and keep you to leave it on.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ugh gently caress this buggy rear end stand detection

"you were up and around a whole bunch but whoops i didn't detect it, now you get to wait another hour before going to bed"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or you could just go to bed and not sperg about filling a meaningless ring on your wrist computer.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Endless Mike posted:

Or you could just go to bed and not sperg about filling a meaningless ring on your wrist computer.

Yeah. The workout detection seems wonky too - twice a week I take a 3 mike hike in the woods with my wife and dogs, and sometimes the watch only counts 15 minutes of the 90 minute walk as exercise. Same with using the treadmill at home, it’s usually just behind the treadmill itself on the distance counter, but it records anywhere from 50-100% of it on the ring.

Oddly, the “other” workout setting seems to count pretty much 100% no matter what I’m doing.

I’m just ignoring the ring for that and going by what the workout app says I did.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
% of what? Exercise time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Grassy Knowles posted:

I like the sport loop for workouts more than any other, but it's incredibly casual looking.

I picked up the sport loop yesterday and so far I like it more than the nylon band I’ve been using almost exclusively for 2 years. I’ll occasionally use a knock off milanese loop, but I don’t have to get very formal.

For what it’s worth I can’t stand wearing the default sport band, I’m not very sweaty but it always seems to get.....sticky underneath, unless I wear it super loose.

• Locked thread