Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember the 90s. It was its own clusterfuck, but definitely better. Or rose lensed glasses.

I'm firmly in nuclear fire camp. If it happens and it's broadcast where the nearest is going to hit, I'll go to the tallest, nearest building and welcome it like it's the aliens from Independence Day. Might even make a "thanks vlad" sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

But white nationalists are both ignorant and bad so I’m not seeing the connection very clearly.

Some aren’t stupid, but that either means they’re extra ignorant or extra bad.

Right, but stopping at "they're ignorant and bad" doesn't do anything. Figuring out how and why those ignorant and bad beliefs get perpetuated and spread is more useful.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

facialimpediment posted:

Here is a really, really long read about former Speaker of the House John Boehner. Ordinarily not something I'd link here, and Boehner was a fucker, but holy gently caress there are some incredible quotes.
Half the lines in there deserve to be framed.

quote:

Boehner tells me that when Bush, while in office, refused to join Burning Tree—due to the optics of a president golfing someplace women aren’t allowed—he told the commander in chief, “You’re a pussy.” Years later, when Bush became a member after leaving the White House, Boehner says he told Bush: “You’re still a pussy.”

quote:

Ryan has, however, found comfort in torturing Boehner: The speaker inherited his predecessor’s security detail, and whereas Boehner demanded they be freshly shaven every day, Ryan let them grow unruly beards—pictures of which are often texted to their former boss, code name “Tan Man.”

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Gobbeldygook posted:

Half the lines in there deserve to be framed.

The degree to which they all hate each other is loving amusing.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Welp, looks like another Hollywood star may be going down soon. Anthony Rapp, of Rent and Star Trek: Discovery, claims that Kevin Spacey drunkenly tried to sexually assault him after a party when Spacey was 26 and he was 14.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I didn't actually think Boehner was that bad. He was trying to give directions while the tea party drove the bus.

Edit: Actually, I think most the hate for Boehner from a number of left leaning friends is a problem. While some of his positions are questionable, the lack of empathy or desire to try and see his perspective has led us to this current divide. He stood on principle many times and did what he thought was best for the country. As GWB shows, that can lead to terrible decisions like Iraq, but I would say that makes Bush a fool more than a villian.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh no Kevin say it ain't so

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

I didn't actually think Boehner was that bad. He was trying to give directions while the tea party drove the bus.

It's a lot like the republican party these days. Boehner was only pissed at the Tea-Party because they wouldn't vote like he wanted them to and incrementally gently caress over the usual suspects the party wants to, not because they where/are pants on head retarded. Right now Trump is getting less and less of a pass, however; minuscule that less of a pass is because he's becoming less of an useful idiot to the party than originally thought, not because he's a horrible human being.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

There’s a lot of stories about Kevin Spacey assaulting or conniving straight guys into poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

lightpole posted:

Edit: Actually, I think most the hate for Boehner from a number of left leaning friends is a problem. While some of his positions are questionable, the lack of empathy or desire to try and see his perspective has led us to this current divide. He stood on principle many times and did what he thought was best for the country. As GWB shows, that can lead to terrible decisions like Iraq, but I would say that makes Bush a fool more than a villian.

A few years ago, a friend of mine's super liberal Democrat parents were invited to a wedding and were surprised that they were to be seated for dinner at the same table with Boehner. As it turns out, he's apparently a very friendly and personable guy in the flesh, and it singlehandedly changed their views of him. They still hated his politics, but they actually really liked him as a person.

The point about a lack of empathy is sadly valid, but I think the willingness to see things from the other side's perspective was a lot easier when we could still assume that most politicians were acting like they believed they had the country's best interests at heart. Even if I thought W was a terrible president, I at least never questioned whether he had a moral compass. I can't say that for Trump.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd go for a third term of W over what we have now

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Man, this Weinstein thing just keeps going and going. Like a Energizer bunny of rear end-grabbing and sexual harassment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I'd go for a third term of W over what we have now
I'd let him be emperor for life compared to what we have now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm ashamed to admit that I won't spare much empathy on leaders of the party that built their modern platform on homophobia and general villainy.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 30, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's a big difference between actively thinking you're doing the right thing for the country and deliberately being malicious. I disagree with conservative positions generally, but I can absolutely see that they may be right about plenty of stuff I could be wrong about, especially on economics.

W turned out to be poo poo, but he always thought he was doing the right thing. Trump doesn't even have "the right thing" even enter into his mind.

Right now, W was worse in terms of overall, tangible damage like wars and the economy compared to Trump right now. Trump's damage has all been stature of the office, stature of the country, and intangible poo poo like that. The problem is that all the ingredients are there for Trump to do much, much worse in his remaining 3/7 years.

In other news, it's absolutely amazing that the Mueller poo poo hasn't leaked out yet. He's running a drat tight ship.

Edit: Whoa, Kevin Spacey just came out. https://twitter.com/KevinSpacey/status/924848412842971136

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hexyflexy posted:

The degree to which they all hate each other is loving amusing.

It's much more entertaining cannibalism compared to the democrats, which are mostly just sad.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

There's a big difference between actively thinking you're doing the right thing for the country and deliberately being malicious. I disagree with conservative positions generally, but I can absolutely see that they may be right about plenty of stuff I could be wrong about, especially on economics.

W turned out to be poo poo, but he always thought he was doing the right thing. Trump doesn't even have "the right thing" even enter into his mind.

Right now, W was worse in terms of overall, tangible damage like wars and the economy compared to Trump right now. Trump's damage has all been stature of the office, stature of the country, and intangible poo poo like that. The problem is that all the ingredients are there for Trump to do much, much worse in his remaining 3/7 years.

In other news, it's absolutely amazing that the Mueller poo poo hasn't leaked out yet. He's running a drat tight ship.

Edit: Whoa, Kevin Spacey just came out. https://twitter.com/KevinSpacey/status/924848412842971136

Holy poo poo Spacey.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well that's certainly a mature way for Spacey to handle the situation. Let's see if people are gonna try to rake him over the coals for it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I didn't know that about him. I just thought he was doing some really good acting in HoC.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KildarX posted:

Well that's certainly a mature way for Spacey to handle the situation. Let's see if people are gonna try to rake him over the coals for it.

I mean.. it’s kind of a misdirection.

“Yeah I might have sexually assaulted a 14 year old but let’s talk about how I’m gay.”

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

“Yeah I might have sexually assaulted a 14 year old but let’s talk about how I’m gay.”

That is the cynic in me agreeing with that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Yeah that's pretty weak as far as responses to allegations go. poo poo or get off the pot, Spacey.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/924857635408568320

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

That is the cynic in me agreeing with that.

:same:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Because the world is full of explicit (and all but explicit) ethno states that everyone more or less gives a pass. No one really gives e.g. the Japanese poo poo for running a society where it is made completely clear that it is for and by ethnic Japanese people even if they tolerate outsiders. They pretty much want that model for the U.S.: not an expulsion of all minorities, but a recognition and perpetuation of America as a country founded and run (mostly) by white people, where, rather than an embrace of multiculturalism, outsiders are expected to embrace the language and culture of the dominant culture.

I'm not sure why you tards are having such a hard time with this quote. The point is lots of racists in America complain that their de facto racism under the guise of nationalism or other politics is being confronted by people, when in countries like Japan the same sort of racism never gets confronted, or only faces token protests. See also Brazil, Italy, China. White nationalists in the US are more or less whining that they aren't getting away with their BS as easily as happens elsewhere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zeris posted:

Yeah that's pretty weak as far as responses to allegations go. poo poo or get off the pot, Spacey.

He may have been on a poo poo ton of drugs and doesn’t remember it.

I hear actors do that.

Not an actual excuse for being a kiddy raper.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

Right, but stopping at "they're ignorant and bad" doesn't do anything. Figuring out how and why those ignorant and bad beliefs get perpetuated and spread is more useful.

It's this.

You need a healthy dose of 'Know Your Enemy' when dealing with these people. We learned that pretty quickly when we were fighting the surge of Neo Nazis subverting the regional music scene, and we noticed at some point that simply knowing your enemy to identify them simply didn't cut it when you were trying to combat the problem. You need to know why people buy into right extremist propaganda to defuse it.

You never achieve full isolation of Neonazis until you've defanged their seemingly-innocent "gateway-propaganda" or whatever you want to call it. And isolation is really loving important. Doubly so for stopping youth-recruiting of any hate-group. The second there isn't even the remotest "cool" aspect of joining any fringe group due to non-conformist ideology that promises you an escape from whatever mainstream-culture-lies you supposedly come from, you kill 90% of any group's youth recruiting.

Punching Nazis is a great tool in your toolbox, but as long as it doesn't stop the growth of those groups, it's unfortunately never really the cure if it's the only tool in that box.
That's part of why some approaches and trends in the Antifa-movement have me worried. If you're trivializing the word "Nazi", and using it for literally everyone that disagrees with you, you're not only not stopping the group of people you need to punch from growing organically, you're expanding that group through your own negligent use of a loving word.

So while Dead Reckoning's post was a reasonably decent answer to the previous "why" question, it was missing a bit of a "and that's why x is bad and needs to be contained" at the end.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
actually having an alternative path for these people is important.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Grognan posted:

I wish more criminals had an alternative path but I am pretty sure america isn't ready for that and probably shouldn't start with rich sex perverts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grognan posted:

guillotines are under utilized imho

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
was more about the racists but sure

actually have to start using the guillotines first though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Grognan posted:

was more about the racists but sure

actually have to start using the guillotines first though

yah sorry, my fault

but yah racists need more than one alternative path, I agree with that

but I find the punch nazi crowd very against that which is something that will cause more nazis

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah we should fight a world war against them or nothing

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

house of cards has really jumped the shark with this season's opening

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Third World Reggin posted:

yah sorry, my fault

but yah racists need more than one alternative path, I agree with that

but I find the punch nazi crowd very against that which is something that will cause more nazis

There has to be some kind of solution to this question.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
In recent "hosed up, but true"-news: :spooky: A recent survey showed that 79% of Finns are happy to pay their taxes, 96% think that collecting taxes is important because it maintains the welfare state, and 93% say they pay their taxes & back taxes on time :spooky:.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's this.

You need a healthy dose of 'Know Your Enemy' when dealing with these people. We learned that pretty quickly when we were fighting the surge of Neo Nazis subverting the regional music scene, and we noticed at some point that simply knowing your enemy to identify them simply didn't cut it when you were trying to combat the problem. You need to know why people buy into right extremist propaganda to defuse it.

You never achieve full isolation of Neonazis until you've defanged their seemingly-innocent "gateway-propaganda" or whatever you want to call it. And isolation is really loving important. Doubly so for stopping youth-recruiting of any hate-group. The second there isn't even the remotest "cool" aspect of joining any fringe group due to non-conformist ideology that promises you an escape from whatever mainstream-culture-lies you supposedly come from, you kill 90% of any group's youth recruiting.

Punching Nazis is a great tool in your toolbox, but as long as it doesn't stop the growth of those groups, it's unfortunately never really the cure if it's the only tool in that box.
That's part of why some approaches and trends in the Antifa-movement have me worried. If you're trivializing the word "Nazi", and using it for literally everyone that disagrees with you, you're not only not stopping the group of people you need to punch from growing organically, you're expanding that group through your own negligent use of a loving word.

So while Dead Reckoning's post was a reasonably decent answer to the previous "why" question, it was missing a bit of a "and that's why x is bad and needs to be contained" at the end.

yoink.

loving Germans and their good attitudes re Nazis

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Missionary Positron posted:

In recent "hosed up, but true"-news: :spooky: A recent survey showed that 79% of Finns are happy to pay their taxes, 96% think that collecting taxes is important because it maintains the welfare state, and 93% say they pay their taxes & back taxes on time :spooky:.

Why is this hosed up? Americans are taught taxes bad all the way and noone ever points at the benefits. I pay my full rate even though as a merchant mariner I have generous carve outs and could drop it by 30% or so easily. I also live in California and pay my full state taxes. I am also the product of California state schools, owe everything to California and the US government and the citizens of the US as my job is completely subsidized and ring fenced by the government.

I know Mitt Romney would call me stupid for doing so but I like to think a few cents go somewhere that they are needed very badly and that someone will have the same opportunities I do.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lightpole posted:

Why is this hosed up? Americans are taught taxes bad all the way and noone ever points at the benefits. I pay my full rate even though as a merchant mariner I have generous carve outs and could drop it by 30% or so easily. I also live in California and pay my full state taxes. I am also the product of California state schools, owe everything to California and the US government and the citizens of the US as my job is completely subsidized and ring fenced by the government.

I know Mitt Romney would call me stupid for doing so but I like to think a few cents go somewhere that they are needed very badly and that someone will have the same opportunities I do.

I don't disagree but since they hosed up imgur at some point pretend I posted that picture of the GOP laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:gop:

• Locked thread