Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why would you ever assume this
Because I papered over the childhood abuse parts of the book, took the Shining training by the groundskeeper as a positive, and viewed the psychic bits as part of creepy hotelisms.

Creepy meltghosts locked in his headspace and unleashing toxic ghost dad were pretty awesome, I admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember a mac-10 (or an uzi or something) and/or ghost cancer being involved

I dunno maybe I just didn't get it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I loved all the stuff with Danny just trying to work through life in DR SLEEP. King hits the same tone of melancholy that he did with REVIVAL and JOYLAND but the True Knot are useless because...well they're useless. For this roving band of horrible villains, they're pretty inept. And then Avra is so overpowered right from the start that the whole thing is remarkably devoid of tension.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Furia posted:

I seem to remember a mac-10 (or an uzi or something) and/or ghost cancer being involved
He helped some old lady cross over but in doing so took her bad cancer feels in and held on to them, dispersing them to the group to prepoison them while they were weak.

I think.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

He helped some old lady cross over but in doing so took her bad cancer feels in and held on to them, dispersing them to the group to prepoison them while they were weak.

I think.

The way I remember it the cancer was related to the hotel somehow

Also can you confirm the uzi y/n I think it was when the girl is using Jack as a ghost decoy in like an amusement park ride or something

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Furia posted:

The way I remember it the cancer was related to the hotel somehow

Also can you confirm the uzi y/n I think it was when the girl is using Jack as a ghost decoy in like an amusement park ride or something

No, it was The MacGuffin Girl's gypsy grandmother or something. I remember now that the Hippie Vamps caught measles or mumps from the kid they kill in the beginning, so Jack figured giving them Cancer-tainted spirit smoke would gently caress them up.

The hotel part is because the big Final Confrontation happens at the former site of the hotel . I think the Uzi happens after they get poisoned -- Jacky boy jumps into a kitchenette and sprays the room as the vamps pour in.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Just watched The Dark Tower, after hearing everyone say how bad it was. They were wrong, it was worse. Stephen King movies usually fail in one of two major ways - either they take away the best source material, or they try to follow it so slavishly that it doesn't make sense to non-readers. Somehow, this steaming pile of excrement managed to do both. Not even Idris Elba in those pants could save this one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

April posted:

Just watched The Dark Tower, after hearing everyone say how bad it was. They were wrong, it was worse. Stephen King movies usually fail in one of two major ways - either they take away the best source material, or they try to follow it so slavishly that it doesn't make sense to non-readers. Somehow, this steaming pile of excrement managed to do both. Not even Idris Elba in those pants could save this one.

I watched it twice and it's so forgettable I couldn't tell you anything about it.

In other news 1922 (from Full Dark No Stars) just dropped on Netflix. Extremely bleak and faithful to the source material. If you've already read it it's just like watching a train wreck in slow motion, although it's bookended with Thomas Jane looking rough so even to the casual viewer there is a hint of what's to come.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I didn't listen to the thread and just watched The Dark Tower. why didn't I listen what the gently caress even was that

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

why didn't I listen
Because nerds, especially fans of a work before adaptation, tend to exaggerate flaws and minimize weaknesses because that adaptation is a 7/10. This was not one of those times.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Because nerds, especially fans of a work before adaptation, tend to exaggerate flaws and minimize weaknesses because that adaptation is a 7/10. This was not one of those times.

it was like a 90 page screenplay with 45 pages from the Dark Tower series and 45 pages from random Young Adult novels tossed in a blender with an ending that was basically Rick Moranis becoming a Ghostbuster at the end of the second movie

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm sure it might've been mentioned in this thread, but has anyone read THE RITUAL? It was kind of a disappointment despite the premise. It takes a turn in the second half that is infinitely worse than what comes before it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is not meant to start a derail but it's not a post about King.

I was between books (just finished The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O, a big 800 page collaboration between Neal Stephenson another Mongoliad author Nicole Galland, and I enjoyed it very much... it's a mish-mash of BAMF, sci-fantasy, and magic thriller all rolled up into one crazy book) and didn't really have any idea what to read next.
So I looked on my Kindle and remembered I had purchased William Blatty's 40th Anniversay Edition of The Exorcist and thought it would make for some great Halloween-time reading. I read the original in High School and so much of the naunce was lost on me at that age. What I found remarkable was primarily the prose. It was surprisingly evocative and beautiful. It was a lot like reading Cormac McCarthy without all the obscure biological/geological terms that I had to constantly look up while reading, say, Blood Meridian. I was drawn in immediately it's a longer read than I remembered. The dialogue isn't always that convincing and Chris McNiel's character (Regan's mother) may be a little, I dunno, I'm trying not to say "problematic" but she seems a little weak or lacking agency even though she's working hard to find out what's going wrong and what's killing her daughter.
I'm here to recommend it to anyone who either hasn't read it or hasn't read this edition if you're looking for something good for Halloween but not sure what to read.
I finished it a couple nights ago and I don't know what to read next (maybe IT, but it hasn't been so long since I read it last so maybe something else. I'm thinking about maybe taking a second run throuh Hex, but it's still a little too fresh in my memory. I need a good spooky Halloween book to finish out the month, and I've already read A Head Full of Ghosts and the most-recommended King/Hill books.

(I hope the links work for you, I had to log out of Smile.Amazon because maybe not everyone is in on that.)

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

I haven't read that and have always meant to, so why not pick it up now? As an aside, it is currently $2, so that is perfectly in the "why the hell not" price range for me.

Ugh, one more book that I need to read waiting for me on my Kindle. Thanks a lot!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I didn't listen to the thread and just watched The Dark Tower. why didn't I listen what the gently caress even was that

Worse than you think, dad! Worse than you think!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
[quote="“Rev. Bleech_”" post="“477713752”"]
it was like a 90 page screenplay with 45 pages from the Dark Tower series and 45 pages from random Young Adult novels tossed in a blender with an ending that was basically Rick Moranis becoming a Ghostbuster at the end of the second movie
[/quote]

Alright, someone spoil it for me, does Jake become a gunslinger at the end of this or what

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Alright, someone spoil it for me, does Jake become a gunslinger at the end of this or what

Yes, except in this timeline the trial involves besting a tin can on a fencepost. A can. Not cans, A can. I am not making this up, this is not code language.

EDIT: gently caress me I just realized I became a gunslinger when I got my first air rifle
*dances the commala right into a loving river*

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apropos of not much.
The IT miniseries has been on SpikeHD tonight and I caught into it around the 1/2-way point. I know the production (especially the effects) are not good. But the acting is actually quite good, from the kids to the grown-ups, and I'm committed to watching it to the end. (It's already over, I'm on DVR).

I had memories of this miniseries that were much worse than the show I'm watching now. I know it gets ridiculous, but I have to give credit. I haven't just watched it, I've been enjoying it. I forgot how solid the cast was.

I haven't seen the movie yet.

Just a little SK beep-beep break.

P.S. - Tim Curry really does take it up in quality, although the whole cast is pretty great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah as long as you don't go in with unreasonable expectations the acting in that version of IT is downright good. The adults especially. I miss you John Ritter.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yes, except in this timeline the trial involves besting a tin can on a fencepost. A can. Not cans, A can. I am not making this up, this is not code language.

:lol: this owns

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I actually felt the opposite way about the adults actors and thought they were rather bad, which bummed me out because I know most of them are actually good actors. The child actors and Curry were great.

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

BiggerBoat posted:

I actually felt the opposite way about the adults actors and thought they were rather bad, which bummed me out because I know most of them are actually good actors. The child actors and Curry were great.

why does it have to be so MEAN?????????

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

*dances the commala right into a loving river*

lol'd pretty had at this. I've tried picturing in my mind what a commala would look like and all I could come up with is a combination of tap dancing and a Cossack dance. Idk.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

polishthunder84 posted:

lol'd pretty had at this. I've tried picturing in my mind what a commala would look like and all I could come up with is a combination of tap dancing and a Cossack dance. Idk.

For me it's pretty much just Irish step dancing

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

mdemone posted:

For me it's pretty much just Irish step dancing

Totally picture breakdancing, myself. Sheets of cardboard, ghetto blasters, etc.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

polishthunder84 posted:

More or less what I thought of thanks to the illustration. Either that or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

God how great would it be if they had filmed that bit and just had Idris do the loving Truffle Shuffle

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I felt the same. Especially for Judge Night Court: adult Richie's dialogue is kind of unworkable on screen under the best circumstances, and I love Judge Night Court on Night Court, but he is "yuck-yucking" all over the screen in a painfully unbearable manner for the whole miniseries.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, I felt the same. Especially for Judge Night Court: adult Richie's dialogue is kind of unworkable on screen under the best circumstances, and I love Judge Night Court on Night Court, but he is "yuck-yucking" all over the screen in a painfully unbearable manner for the whole miniseries.

I know all those people can act becasue I've seen them other things. Only thing I can figure is they were running out of money and had limited takes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah as long as you don't go in with unreasonable expectations the acting in that version of IT is downright good. The adults especially. I miss you John Ritter.

The actor's are good all-around, but the script and dialogue is downright terrible, so it just painfully flounders. The kid's scenes work better because there's actual chemistry, and the first half of the script got way more attention/re-writes.

TV version of IT is not good

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I know all those people can act becasue I've seen them other things. Only thing I can figure is they were running out of money and had limited takes.

I think a lot of it is just that dramatic Television at that time was just so loving dire in terms of basic direction and filmmaking that it's hard to fathom today. I would go so far as to say that the IT miniseries was well above average for televised drama of its time, it's just that the standards of its time were garbage. Take a look at its competition*; LA Law, Murder She Wrote, Quantum Leap. None of them are any better. At the time, TV was still considered a ghetto and anyone who had any talent was trying to claw their way into films.

For a good comparison, the Stand miniseries came out 4 years later. You can watch it now on youtube. It had an even better cast, and even more money, and it was actually nominated for six emmies (and won two), but you can watch it today and... yeah. It's okay, I guess. But in terms of direction and writing, it's only up to about an average episode of the X-files.

*Twin Peaks is, of course, the huge and glaring exception to everything I just said.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 30, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

I mean, Richie is kinda supposed to be annoying as gently caress.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Karmine posted:

I mean, Richie is kinda supposed to be annoying as gently caress.

Kid Richie is. Adult Richie is supposed to be funny and successful.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

James Corden is successful and many people find him funny.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Funny and successful as a radio DJ. Like, probably specifically a "morning zoo"/"afternoon drive time" type of DJ whose whole shtick would be being pretty annoying.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I really wish I'd read 'Salem's Lot before I read Needful Things because I liked Needful Things but I'm about 120 pages into SL and if I'd known that he'd already done "enigmatic weirdo comes to a tightly knit tiny community, opens up a used goods store, and eventually havoc ensues," I probably would've been a harsher critic.

e: and I definitely should've read it before I read the Dark Tower but I knew what I was getting into with that one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The best version of Needful Things is a short story by Richard Matheson called The Distributor.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

The best version of Needful Things is the Rick and Morty episode where Rick beats the poo poo out of the devil.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

fishmech posted:

Funny and successful as a radio DJ. Like, probably specifically a "morning zoo"/"afternoon drive time" type of DJ whose whole shtick would be being pretty annoying.
Did that format even really exist yet when the book came out? Seems like something that didn't really get rolling until the 90s.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Casimir Radon posted:

Did that format even really exist yet when the book came out? Seems like something that didn't really get rolling until the 90s.

Yes, the eighties was the heyday of that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

WKRP in Cincinnati started airing in 1978, so it's been a thing for a while.