Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagicHateBall
Dec 11, 2002

Humans were drinking alcohol five thousand years ago, and they're still drinking it now. Alcohol is humanity's friend.

Can I abandon a friend?
Thanks for the recommendations -- I also noted that Mikrotik does switches in the same price range as well, any opinions on their equipment? It looks slick, but I'm not experienced enough to judge just by a sales site and spec sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bsaber posted:

I have a wireless security camera that is located about 100-130 feet from a UAP-AC-PRO. It can see the wireless signal but it’s not strong enough to send a signal back. According to the OP, I should be looking at the Ubiquiti nanostations.

My question is do I have to have two nanostations? Or could I just get one nanostations and have it act as an extender or repeater for the UAP signal? The camera does have an Ethernet port too but I can’t hardwire it (it crosses a public road). Any other suggestions I haven’t thought of? Thanks!

You could try using a UAP-AC-M (https://store.ubnt.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap)to connect the camera to the wireless network. Can you provide an extra AC outlet to the Mesh AP?

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

You could try using a UAP-AC-M (https://store.ubnt.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap)to connect the camera to the wireless network. Can you provide an extra AC outlet to the Mesh AP?

Hm, not sure if it will work. The camera is outside the building with the power to it being run from inside out to it. The nearest AC outlet I could plug the mesh AP into doesn’t seem to be able to pick up the wireless (at least according to my phone). I guess I could run an Ethernet to some place that could pick up the signal as the mesh AP looks to be powered by POE.

Was hoping I could use a nanostation as a directional AP for the camera and even though the signal returning from the camera is weak it would be picked up by the nanostation. But don’t know if that’s something that would be possible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bsaber posted:

Hm, not sure if it will work. The camera is outside the building with the power to it being run from inside out to it. The nearest AC outlet I could plug the mesh AP into doesn’t seem to be able to pick up the wireless (at least according to my phone). I guess I could run an Ethernet to some place that could pick up the signal as the mesh AP looks to be powered by POE.

Was hoping I could use a nanostation as a directional AP for the camera and even though the signal returning from the camera is weak it would be picked up by the nanostation. But don’t know if that’s something that would be possible.

You can use a ac-m like a nanostation, receiving the wifi from the ac in your house and providing a ethernet link to the camera. Split the camera power source in two (to feed both camera and ac-m) and you are set.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 29, 2017

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So I'm trying to setup a wireless bridge (I think that's what it's called?). I have my main router which is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. I want to setup an old router I have (Netcomm NB6plus4W) as a secondary in my living room. There are no ethernet cables between my main router and the living room. I'd like to be able to connect my devices from my living room (media PC, XBOX, etc) to my secondary router using ethernet cables, then connect the secondary router to the main over Wifi, so they all sit nicely on the same LAN as well as having internet access.

I think this is possible but I don't really know how to go about doing this, in terms of setting router IPs and the wireless settings on the secondary router in particular. Can someone please give me some advice on this?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vidaeus posted:

So I'm trying to setup a wireless bridge (I think that's what it's called?). I have my main router which is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. I want to setup an old router I have (Netcomm NB6plus4W) as a secondary in my living room. There are no ethernet cables between my main router and the living room. I'd like to be able to connect my devices from my living room (media PC, XBOX, etc) to my secondary router using ethernet cables, then connect the secondary router to the main over Wifi, so they all sit nicely on the same LAN as well as having internet access.

I think this is possible but I don't really know how to go about doing this, in terms of setting router IPs and the wireless settings on the secondary router in particular. Can someone please give me some advice on this?

Your netcomm doesn't support wifi client mode, you are going to need a wifi bridge or repeater.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I would probably go powerline instead.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

You can use a ac-m like a nanostation, receiving the wifi from the ac in your house and providing a ethernet link to the camera. Split the camera power source in two (to feed both camera and ac-m) and you are set.

Ah, cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help!

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

SlowBloke posted:

Your netcomm doesn't support wifi client mode, you are going to need a wifi bridge or repeater.

Armacham posted:

I would probably go powerline instead.

OK, thanks guys. In my previous apartment, I had an ethernet socket in my living room but in the one I'm living in now I don't have one. I still have a 4 port switch I can use. Which would work out cheaper - a cheap wifi router that supports the bridge or the powerline? I guess the powerline would give better performance? I am looking at streaming movies from my NAS to my living room PC, syncing steam games and light browsing.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I think powerline will be the most reliable, the fastest, and the simplest of all the options. I've always had weird trouble getting wifi routers to stay bridged correctly. Powerline is basically plug and play.

My set up sounds pretty similiar to yours. My network is setup with the modem connected to a router, router connected to switch which connects to a WAP and a powerline connector. At the other end of the powerline is connected my TV and my Xbox on the main TV. My printer, laptops, phones, and other Xbox all connect through wifi right now.

Edit: This is the kit that I bought and it is working fine so far in my 1978 house. They also make one that has a pass through plug for a little more, if you need the extra outlet. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...werline+adapter

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ubiquiti have beta of some HomePlug stuff apparently,

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/can-a-new-powerline-kit-solve-an-urban-apartment-dwellers-wi-fi-woes/
https://store.ubnt.com/products/ethermagic

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Armacham posted:

I think powerline will be the most reliable, the fastest, and the simplest of all the options. I've always had weird trouble getting wifi routers to stay bridged correctly. Powerline is basically plug and play.

My set up sounds pretty similiar to yours. My network is setup with the modem connected to a router, router connected to switch which connects to a WAP and a powerline connector. At the other end of the powerline is connected my TV and my Xbox on the main TV. My printer, laptops, phones, and other Xbox all connect through wifi right now.

Edit: This is the kit that I bought and it is working fine so far in my 1978 house. They also make one that has a pass through plug for a little more, if you need the extra outlet. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powe...werline+adapter

OK thanks. Just to clarify - I plug one end of the powerline next to my main router and run an ethernet cable from the router into the powerline. Then the other powerline goes in my living room, and I connect that to my switch which can then connect to my XBOX, media PC, etc?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

OK thanks. Just to clarify - I plug one end of the powerline next to my main router and run an ethernet cable from the router into the powerline. Then the other powerline goes in my living room, and I connect that to my switch which can then connect to my XBOX, media PC, etc?

Yeah it’s super simple. They should work out of the box, but you should pair them for extra security. Just follow the quick install guide. One nice thing about amazon is that you can usually read the manual before you buy.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81-jtF0uKmL.pdf

Armacham fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 31, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bsaber posted:

Ah, cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help!

You will need to connect and adopt the ac-m using a physical link on the first boot, then you are free to go. if you want a quick video showing you the basics here's one from crosstalk solutions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tOOPwVjxw

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vidaeus posted:

TP-link AV1200 are available with a integrated 3 port switch(or 3-port switch+wifi) while AV2000 are available with a two port switch. Sold in pairs, security paired from the factory, no need to do anything beside plugging them to your mains and wiring up your devices.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Is there an idiots guide to setting up pfSense on a qotom mini PC?

I've got just my laptop connected to port 2 on the miniPC and my modem connected to port 1 and I cannot get the web configurator page to load.

I've messed about with it for 2 hours and need to sleep now. Will check this thread in the morning.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I just bought a new home and I'm having trouble with wi-fi coverage. I'm a relative novice when it comes to these things but I do try to tinker a bit on my own with my limited knowledge and these forums. My problem is I have a big home, 5100 sq feet and it was built by some people who own a construction company and they built their home using steel beam construction back in the 1970's. I'm also 200-300 ft from high voltage power lines on one border of my property (not really sure if this is a factor but walking too close to them kills my cellular signal so I would presume it's not helping the wi-fi?) and 200-300 feet from a large apartment complex on another border of my property (I can pick up 20 or so networks). This house is like where Wi-fi signal goes to die.

I have 3 kids and we stream heavily. I have a cable modem that gets about 200Mbps. My current wi-fi setup, that worked great at my old house, isn't cutting it. I had a networking company come over and he initially talked up switching to a ubiquiti setup which I've always been excited to try but intimidated by the reports of a difficult/complex setup. However he seems to have changed his mind and instead of quoting me a ubiquiti setup he's now recommending an eero mesh network with 6 satellite units. The cable modem is on the second floor of the house and signal to the second floor is pretty good, also there is easy attic access to run networking cable to most places on the second floor, the first floor is a bit tougher to get cable to but it's where we spend the majority of our time in the house.

I'm afraid with that many satellites and an already crowded environment the network won't be able to handle our needs. This is a pretty reputable company in the area but he's quoting me $1500 to purchase/set up the eero system. It looks like something I could do myself instead but I'm not sure that's the way to go and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a system that may not work for me. He won't even give me a quote to set up a system with wired networking and ubiquiti AP's even though when he come over we identified two spots we could use to run wire to the first floor, he seems convinced eero's the way to go.

Do you think a mesh network is the best way to handle this?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Hard wiring your access points is better than a mesh network, but wiring a home can be prohibitively expensive. Mesh gear is typically “good enough” for most home users, and if it doesn’t do the job you can always wire later.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nodelphi posted:

...He won't even give me a quote to set up a system with wired networking and ubiquiti AP's even though when he come over we identified two spots we could use to run wire to the first floor, he seems convinced eero's the way to go.

Do you think a mesh network is the best way to handle this?

Just because it may be useful as a data point, I'll mention again that I got a single story 1300sqft wood frame house (existing construction, drywall already there) wired with 10 drops of Cat6 from 5 different locations around the house to a central closet recently and it was right around $900. 2/3 labor @ $100/hour, 1/3 materials.

If someone is going to be crawling around your house installing poo poo anyway and it's a place you own and intend to remain in for years, it seems like an odd decision to me not to get a run or two at least between your router and wherever you want a desktop or really need good wireless coverage; you could even put a switch on the other side and do both. Meshes are a cool idea but from what I understand you're still relying on relaying your signal across multiple radios unless you're talking to the base station, so I'm not really sure how much better the coverage is going to be than singular high-quality APs.

However, if you think you could install the mesh yourself but don't feel comfortable running the cables yourself then it might be the best bang for your buck.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 1, 2017

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have a 3400 sqf house and I went with the Ubiquiti Unifi setup. 2 AC AP Lites mounted on the ceiling. It has been fantastic for me, and the setup etc was dead simple with the controller software (I had no real networking experience prior). My opinion on it is that if wifi is important, and you are going to be there a while, its worth the work.

This also depends on your house of course, what kind of access you have and to where. For me I was able to run Cat 6 from my basement to my attic pretty easily, and that allowed me to located the router and modem out of the way downstairs but connect the hardwired AP's in ideal places. The construction of your house and the location of cable drops etc may make it financially infeasible, but if not, I think the hardwired AP's are the way to go.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Your average Netgear AC router will get 30-50% better bandwidth (file transfers) than those AC Pros because they are made for hotels and that sort. Have at it I guess.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

redeyes posted:

Your average Netgear AC router will get 30-50% better bandwidth (file transfers) than those AC Pros because they are made for hotels and that sort. Have at it I guess.

They're perfectly fine for home use and rock solid stable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Buying six mesh units has to be more expensive than getting some drops done. Although I guess you will still need to buy some APs (just not 6 units that are as expensive)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

redeyes posted:

First time I've heard this, source?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Yeah but I have an ASUS ac5300 and a rtn66u as a repeater and it’s still not cutting it for the home I’m in now. :(

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redeyes posted:

I've never had a consumer router that didn't poo poo the bed on a regular basis.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Armacham posted:

I've never had a consumer router that didn't poo poo the bed on a regular basis.

I know, and the Netgears are not perfect but if you are the kind of nerd that actually does large transfers over wifi, the Ubiquiti stuff is slower.

I'll try and find some solid benchmarks but I constantly see stuff like this:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Tested-new-Unifi-AP-AC-PRO-vs-Netgear-R7000-in-5GHz-Netgear-wins/td-p/1540590

I mean, I have a cheapo Mikrotik SXT5 which is 5GZ AC only and maintain a 800+mb connection through out my house. When I tried Ubiquiti stuff, I got around half that connection speed on average. Neither AP limited my internet obviously at 50mb, but for file transfers there is a decent difference.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 1, 2017

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redeyes posted:

I know, and the Netgears are not perfect but if you are the kind of nerd that actually does large transfers over wifi, the Ubiquiti stuff

I'll try and find some solid benchmarks but I constantly see stuff like this:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Tested-new-Unifi-AP-AC-PRO-vs-Netgear-R7000-in-5GHz-Netgear-wins/td-p/1540590

Makes sense! Whenever I do file transfers I am usually limited by my hard drive speed anyway, so it's not a huge deal to me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I do agree the Ubiquiti stuff is very solid for a home user. We are way passed the days of DDWRT on Linksys WRT54GLs. For home stuff its kinda hard to beat Mikrotik for price/performance.

This one in particluar: https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RB9...L70_&dpSrc=srch

2.4/5Ghz 3 chain AC. My favorite.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Your average Netgear router, like most consumer routers, is pretty quickly abandoned when it comes to security and stability updates. For what it's worth, ASUS leads the consumer router field in the "actually-gets-updates" department. Though I personally don't have a lot of experience with Ubiquiti products, they do seem to do a good job with updates.

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah but I have an ASUS ac5300 and a rtn66u as a repeater and it’s still not cutting it for the home I’m in now. :(

Hard wiring is probably the way to go, at least to a handful of locations for AP coverage if not for every room for the convenience of having wired access. Identify what other areas you want to be hard-wired (main computer and TV areas are a couple important ones, for example).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Microtik is fine if you don't mind futzing about with their godawful interface but yes, their hardware is excellent.

Personally I prefer unifi because it's more hands off but robust when I need it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Matt Zerella posted:

Microtik is fine if you don't mind futzing about with their godawful interface but yes, their hardware is excellent.

Personally I prefer unifi because it's more hands off but robust when I need it.

I prefer unifi because if I had to, I could call my wife and have her fix something within the point and click interface.
BUT I don't have to because CloudKey :smug:

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Yeah, my thing for Unifi is that since installing it, I like haven't had to do anything. Like, anything at all for... a year. I actually forgot the credentials to the controller I had for them and it never mattered cause it just never went down, never had errors, never needed resetting etc. Couple that with rock solid connectivity and totally adequate speeds... its just a much better user experience than any other wifi setup I have ever had.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

I dunno man, I find the interface easy to use compared to even Netgears. Maybe your experience was pre Winbox days? It literally takes a minute or 2 to punch in all the settings right on the main/first page of Winbox:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

redeyes posted:

I dunno man, I find the interface easy to use compared to even Netgears. Maybe your experience was pre Winbox days? It literally takes a minute or 2 to punch in all the settings right on the main/first page of Winbox:

Winbox is nice, but gently caress if I can ever remember where everything is...
I recall the submenus not making much sense to me at all until I actually found what it was I was searching for. (I'm glaring at you disapprovingly, ipsec tunnel settings)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I give Ubiquiti a lot of points just because I can still install the same update on my 6 year old UAP-LR as the newer UAP-AC-Lite and it works perfectly. Consumer router updates are hit and miss as others have said, and if I were getting one today it would probably be because I know the hardware is a good deal and I can put OpenWRT or whatever on it. Software stability is important enough, but security is paramount.

As far as speed goes, there might well be better out there but with the UAP-AC-Lite I can pull 240Mbps over the 5GHz band with a laptop using an Intel 8260 adapter; if that's not good enough for whatever I'm doing, I probably want to plug in anyway.

I also had good fortune with Mikrotik in the past - I didn't think the UI was quite as streamlined, but I get enough exposure to more complicated gear through work that I wasn't too bothered and it was fun to see features I'd never need like MPLS and BGP. From that Winbox screenshot it looks like they've done a better job of putting the most commonly accessed features up front since I last looked anyway.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In recent times, if a non-stingy friend or relative asks me for help for their home network I always point them to a basic unifi stack(usg-3, cloudkey, us-8-60 and a uap-ac-pro) after giving a look at their home electic wiring conduit to lay down some cat6 hard line. None of the people who bought that have never called me back for support after i set it up and showed them how to manage it, they work just fine. They aren't as cheap as consumer routing kit from D-Link or Netgear but they receive quick updates and if you don't jump in the unstable/beta branch they are reliable. If you want the complete "i don't give a gently caress about your :techno: bullshit just make it work" package there's Meraki but they don't come cheap :v:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm kind of scared of dealing with a ubiquiti so i might go the simpleton route and get a airpod; 90% of usage will be two iphones, a ipad, smart tv, and a ps4 with a non apple laptop or desktop sparingly; am i setting myself up for failure or should i grow some balls and do a ubiquiti instead also im fat and layz

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got an ERL along with an AC Lite and I'm considering trying out UNMS...anyone else messing with it? What do you think of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Empress Brosephine posted:

i'm kind of scared of dealing with a ubiquiti so i might go the simpleton route and get a airpod; 90% of usage will be two iphones, a ipad, smart tv, and a ps4 with a non apple laptop or desktop sparingly; am i setting myself up for failure or should i grow some balls and do a ubiquiti instead also im fat and layz

Airpods are great if you want to listen to music or burn $160 when you lose one, but I don't know how they're supposed to improve your wifi speeds.

redeyes posted:

You're right but for the wrong reasons. The UAP-AC-Pro is designed to have a more "fair" airtime sharing algorithm so like your later link showed you're going to max out at around 300mbit/sec with an AC-Pro as your access point even if you configure it to use 80mhz wide channels. Netgear crab routers will allocate all their available airtime to the fastest requester, so that could potentially choke out any other clients also connected to the same AP radio.

Of course if you're configuring/using 80mhz wide channels, you're dumb and doing wifi wrong, but that's a different issue.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 2, 2017