Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nevermind, misread a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't think openings at other SEC schools will impact Odoms job security.

He's fortunate that his final month looks a lot easier.

This piece from RMN was kind of persuasive for me, assuming that Sterk would have a similar coach wishlist to the other schools

quote:

More importantly, what do you make of a coaching carousel that potentially features conference mates Tennessee, Florida, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M all looking for new coaches? In terms of the perceived quality of the job, Missouri currently ranks either fifth or sixth on that list. Does that make you more likely to wait a year, when you could conceivably be atop (or at least far nearer to the top of) the SEC carousel totem pole?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can hire a good coach without necessarily trying to chase Chip Kelly or whatever the hot name is. Iowa State and Purdue made arguably the best hires of the last two cycles.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

You can hire a good coach without necessarily trying to chase Chip Kelly or whatever the hot name is. Iowa State and Purdue made arguably the best hires of the last two cycles.

Every time the question of who they should hire comes up on the LSU forums 90% of the answers are Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, or some of the wall poo poo like Sean Payton. Fans are loving stupid as hell about what a good and also realistic hire is.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/csmithSEC/status/924696106235322369

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm legit unsure where we will look to be honest. Some folks are clamoring for Taggart as tailor-made for UF - but I dunno if he'd leave Oregon after a year.

Maybe throw a boatload of cash at Fuente?

gently caress it - let's get Holgo throwing bombs all everywhere. Or Leach.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 30, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm legit unsure where we will look to be honest. Some folks are clamoring for Taggart as tailor-made for UF - but I dunno if he'd leave Oregon after a year.

I think they will look at Frost, Norvell, and PSU's OC.

I would be happy with Leach or Holgo but I don't think they go that direction. Fuente is staying put.

Babers perhaps.

Hopefully not Greg Schiano.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EvilHawk posted:

We definitely have been. The East is just too "easy" (as in, everyone except one team is usually utter poo poo). You can quite easily get to 8/9 wins if you schedule the right cupcake/OOC games. We need someone who can push through that 10 win barrier, and take on Alabama.

Move Alabama, Auburn to the East. Hire Tebow as Florida's coach.

All problems solved.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mike_V posted:

This piece from RMN was kind of persuasive for me, assuming that Sterk would have a similar coach wishlist to the other schools
Jim Sterk will have a different list from Tennessee or Florida.

Ole Miss and Arky are tire fires currently and I don't think it's a given that Sumlin and Gus are fired.

Wins/Losses and recruiting is whats going to make or break Barry Odom. 3 wins isn't going to cut it, so he'll have to have one hell of a December and he's currently getting slaughtered on the recruiting trail.

So far it looks like they are gonna strike out on a very good local prospect pool and that's a program crippler.

It's going to come down to if Odom can sell Sterk on his vision.

Whoever loses the border war game this year is getting a guaranteed pink slip.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LiquidFriend posted:

Ole Miss and Arky are tire fires currently and I don't think it's a given that Sumlin and Gus are fired.

I think the loser of Auburn-A&M is in pretty deep trouble, although I think Auburn would be crazy to fire Gus regardless.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

I think the loser of Auburn-A&M is in pretty deep trouble, although I think Auburn would be crazy to fire Gus regardless.
My position on this is that we probably shouldn't but I don't think it's "crazy" if at the end of the season we're talking about a Gus who pretty much hasn't won a single game we really care about in four years.

Everyone I hear saying it's nuts (Steven Godfrey and BillC on Podcast Ain't Played Nobody take this side a lot) sounds like they're a) actually retroactively defending Mark Richt, who Gus ain't and b) importing a lot of assumptions about how trigger-happy Auburn is that I think have gained a memetic currency greater than their truth (Dye got us hosed so hard by the NCAA we got a TV ban the next year -- last major program to ever get one?, Bowden was 0-5, couldn't recruit once Dye's players left and was supposedly boning someone he shouldn't, Tuberville had probably earned one more year but if you wanna tell me you think he would've turned it around you're just lying, anyone wanna go to the matresses for Gene Chizik? didn't think so)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Auburn is almost certainly the third best team in the SEC this year though. I get that 8-4 isn't exciting, but that's three losses to top 5 caliber teams.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress. Off.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Florida should definitely hire leach IMO

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So what's up with Bud Foster? I thought the general consensus for years was that he was waiting for Beamer to retire before taking the reins at VT, but that came and went and he's still there despite, I'm sure, some interest from somebody to get him as a HC. Does he just not want to be a head coach? Does he have some horrible Sanduskyan open secret preventing anyone from hiring him?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pakled posted:

So what's up with Bud Foster? I thought the general consensus for years was that he was waiting for Beamer to retire before taking the reins at VT, but that came and went and he's still there despite, I'm sure, some interest from somebody to get him as a HC. Does he just not want to be a head coach? Does he have some horrible Sanduskyan open secret preventing anyone from hiring him?

The rumors from rival fanbases (read: UVA) say he's a terrible interview (possible) and a mad drunk (possible but not probable). You never really hear those things ever inside the fanbase even from fringe fans who wouldn't care about saying a rumor like that about a beloved coach and I've heard my fair share of poo poo about the staff over the years so I don't lend a ton of weight to it, especially not when far bigger known pieces of poo poo get HC jobs everywhere. He's very no-nonsense which is usually a poor HC quality for a major program when it comes to dealing with media, recruits, etc. although there's something to be said for him going from a very, very bad recruiter to an average one the past 4-5 years.

My personal opinion is he backed himself into a corner on purpose because he knew how good he had it here. He publicly refused to take other DC jobs (why would you if you were him) or to take a G5 or traditionally bad P5 job although he was probably approached dozens of times over the years for this or that, most famously by SOS to DC for UF in '98. If he was going to go somewhere it'd have to be a top-40ish school and those are hard but not impossible to get with no HC experience whatsoever no matter how talented you are as a coordinator. I also think Frank promised him the job or slotted him as such with the old AD, Jim Weaver. Problem was not only did Frank hang around too long but Jim Weaver got terminally ill and had to retire before Frank and so unless VT hired from within (absolutely no chance) for AD he wasn't going to get the job since Beamer would have no pull with a new AD who wasn't about to hitch his wagon to Frank's whims. If Weaver had stayed healthy I think Bud would be the HC but between that and Frank hanging on too long it screwed him. VT hired Babcock, who is probably a top 5-10 AD currently, and the choice was made.

I'm not sure how Bud would have done. I think he'd have hired an ace OC but I don't know how recruiting would go and I don't know about him as the big chief. Given his age I don't think he'd have been there for long and odds are I think his tenure would have ended on a bad note and forever soured his stay in Blacksburg where he will leave as admired or moreso than Beamer. I think Bud made peace with all of that when Weaver had to step down early which is why Babcock was able to convince him to stay and whenever he leaves they're going to name something for him, which is virtually unheard of for an assistant. I feel for him but sometimes things just aren't meant to be. The day that man retires I will weep because it's difficult to point out a non-HC who has carried a program further and longer than Bud Foster.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 30, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is probably a super dumb question, but how Was Chip Kelly at running a college program, recruiting etc? It's clear that he was bad at managing personnel in an NFL team (his teams got worse over time) and the Read Option isn't a super ideal NFL offence but both those things shouldn't apply in college right?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Chip Kelly, coach, was really good. Chip Kelly, recruiter who also had Nike backing him everywhere, was pretty good. Chip Kelly, recruiter who no longer has a billionaire behind him showering the facilities and needs of recruit with dollars, is unknown.

Chip will be fine again in college if he wants because any high scoring offense sells itself and 95% of fans are happier losing 56-53 than 17-14.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah Phil Knight's money definitely helped bring kids in. Like even in legitimate, well legit by CFB rules, ways I mean.

algebra testes posted:

This is probably a super dumb question, but how Was Chip Kelly at running a college program, recruiting etc? It's clear that he was bad at managing personnel in an NFL team (his teams got worse over time) and the Read Option isn't a super ideal NFL offence but both those things shouldn't apply in college right?

Pretty good in my opinion with a caveat? He apparently didn't like recruiting much but he managed to surround himself with a staff that worked pretty well at Oregon (although there was some ..baggage). For Florida specifically this shouldn't be terribly hard to replicate since it's such an easy place to recruit if they decide to go after him. You would think that if he gave even the slightest crap he could have at least Oregon level talent at Florida without cheating any more than anyone else does. His offensive system is perfectly fine for college ball, I don't know that he cares much about defense in general but if he gets a good DC that's not a bad thing. I guess that's a decent sized if.

The main worry would be that he doesn't care enough about the NCAA's rules on things, he's been show-caused before and that's half of (or all of depending on who you ask) the reason he took an NFL job.

Oh he's also a pretty big jerk as a person, but that's true for a lot of coaches. I don't know how well he deals with boosters or whatever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 30, 2017

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I mean I'm not complaining tbh but why does nobody seem to be interested in Jeremy Pruitt or Todd orlando

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

gently caress. Off.

For the record I don't think he'd leave. But UF would be dumb not to gauge interest.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Scionix posted:

I mean I'm not complaining tbh but why does nobody seem to be interested in Jeremy Pruitt or Todd orlando

It's weird that the "Don't hire Saban assistants!" poo poo has caught on with ADs in a year where Kirby hasn't lost a game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Florida: Brett McMurphy reports that Jim McElwain may only get $4 million of his $12.9 million buyout because of the “way he disclosed death threats and (McElwain’s) agent’s ties to other candidates.” McMurphy expands, noting a source told him “Sexton won’t fight it because it’s not in his best long-term interest” noting that Jimmy also represents Dan Mullen and other clients.

lmao that is a loving amazing conflict of interest with Sexton. You can't fully represent McElwain becaue you want so badly to be the guy who lands the next deal. Agents are amazingly scummy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

lmao that is a loving amazing conflict of interest with Sexton. You can't fully represent McElwain becaue you want so badly to be the guy who lands the next deal. Agents are amazingly scummy.

Yeah that seems like something that would really hurt his ability to get clients if true.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Yeah that seems like something that would really hurt his ability to get clients if true.

Word about the bad side of agents is getting out there more and more among coaches. Athletic Directors largely hate dealing with them because they're pains in the rear end. Coaches get more and more annoyed with them partly for poo poo like this, partly also because as soon as the coach has their job (whether or not the agent did much to help), they're still paying the agent large percentages of their pay every quarter because of the scummy agreements they originally sign with the agent (that the coaches themselves very rarely ever read through).

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Scionix posted:

I mean I'm not complaining tbh but why does nobody seem to be interested in Jeremy Pruitt

I think that the rumor mill from his year as DC at UGA made everyone think he was an insane crazy person who might snap and kill somebody

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chip Kelly despises recruiting fwiw

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I think that the rumor mill from his year as DC at UGA made everyone think he was an insane crazy person who might snap and kill somebody

"Had a defense that drug the team to 10 wins despite Brian Schottenheimer and also didn't murder Schottenheimer at any point" should be in the plus column, IMO

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
It's fun watching how Nick Sabah is driving the SEC insane by both sucking up talent that would normally be distributed among several teams, and also forcing teams to implicitly compete against him in an impossible situation.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Re: Fuente

I don't think he'd leave Tech for Florida, but you never know. I think the Tech job is a really, really good gig. They have excellent facilitates, plenty of money, are in the weaker of the two ACC divisions, and have a national brand. It's not like Tech isn't a top 25 program or better.

I would also think Scott Frost would be more interested in the Nebraska job, but you never know.

If you're Florida, I would think the list is:

Dan Mullen
Charlie Strong
Scott Frost
Matt Campbell

Crotch Bat posted:

The rumors from rival fanbases (read: UVA) say he's a terrible interview (possible) and a mad drunk (possible but not probable). You never really hear those things ever inside the fanbase even from fringe fans who wouldn't care about saying a rumor like that about a beloved coach and I've heard my fair share of poo poo about the staff over the years so I don't lend a ton of weight to it, especially not when far bigger known pieces of poo poo get HC jobs everywhere. He's very no-nonsense which is usually a poor HC quality for a major program when it comes to dealing with media, recruits, etc. although there's something to be said for him going from a very, very bad recruiter to an average one the past 4-5 years.

My personal opinion is he backed himself into a corner on purpose because he knew how good he had it here. He publicly refused to take other DC jobs (why would you if you were him) or to take a G5 or traditionally bad P5 job although he was probably approached dozens of times over the years for this or that, most famously by SOS to DC for UF in '98. If he was going to go somewhere it'd have to be a top-40ish school and those are hard but not impossible to get with no HC experience whatsoever no matter how talented you are as a coordinator. I also think Frank promised him the job or slotted him as such with the old AD, Jim Weaver. Problem was not only did Frank hang around too long but Jim Weaver got terminally ill and had to retire before Frank and so unless VT hired from within (absolutely no chance) for AD he wasn't going to get the job since Beamer would have no pull with a new AD who wasn't about to hitch his wagon to Frank's whims. If Weaver had stayed healthy I think Bud would be the HC but between that and Frank hanging on too long it screwed him. VT hired Babcock, who is probably a top 5-10 AD currently, and the choice was made.

I'm not sure how Bud would have done. I think he'd have hired an ace OC but I don't know how recruiting would go and I don't know about him as the big chief. Given his age I don't think he'd have been there for long and odds are I think his tenure would have ended on a bad note and forever soured his stay in Blacksburg where he will leave as admired or moreso than Beamer. I think Bud made peace with all of that when Weaver had to step down early which is why Babcock was able to convince him to stay and whenever he leaves they're going to name something for him, which is virtually unheard of for an assistant. I feel for him but sometimes things just aren't meant to be. The day that man retires I will weep because it's difficult to point out a non-HC who has carried a program further and longer than Bud Foster.

From what I know of when we interviewed him back when Rod left he was not a great interview, but was really being considered for the job.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 30, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would also think Scott Frost would be more interested in the Nebraska job, but you never know.

Everything out there is conjecture right now. Already read a couple columns today that say he would opt for UF because of the talent base, but nobody loving knows; Frost walks to the beat of his own drat drum

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
John Currie you pussy

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

dude's got one of those "I Am A Human" smiles

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Florida might be one of the few schools that could actually pull Leach as well. Considering that there isn't a university located on the Keys themselves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Real Name Grover posted:

Everything out there is conjecture right now. Already read a couple columns today that say he would opt for UF because of the talent base, but nobody loving knows; Frost walks to the beat of his own drat drum

We went over this last go round with Florida, but its not exactly the big job everyone makes it out to be. Their facilities are kind of lovely (have improved), not terribly well managed, and you're going to be under a lot of pressure to win right away. You're also inheriting an offense that has sucked under two different head coaches and five different coordinators.

I think Nebraska is also not the job people think it is anymore, but you'd think Scott Frost would be more interested in going to his alma mater than going to Florida.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's hard to imagine Leach would want to put up with all the extra bullshit and pressure that comes with coaching Florida but maybe if they pay him enough or he doesn't like whoever the new Wazzu AD is

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's hard to imagine Leach would want to put up with all the extra bullshit and pressure that comes with coaching Florida but maybe if they pay him enough or he doesn't like whoever the new Wazzu AD is

Leach doesn't seem like the type of guy UF would want to have; I don't think they'll want to deal with Chip Kelly either but if you don't at least talk to him -- why are you bothering, y'know?

I don't know if another NFL team is willing to roll the dice on Kelly, but who knows. NFL GM's are strange.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
If there's a coach out there who's able to seriously contend with Bama/Ohio State/Clemson, he's not easy to spot. This is one of those years (like most years) where the ceiling on new hire quality might cap out a little lower. Which would still be a welcome improvement for Florida, mind you.

Florida pays top dollar and has access to top-10 recruiting classes each year. I don't know what you guys are smoking if you think there are any other top programs without similar pressures.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

someone dug into the buyout language of Willie Taggert and he's a lot more available than it seems

quote:

Florida — or anyone else — could pay $3 million up front and get it over with. Or it could prorate the entire buyout over the course of the contract. Three million dollars spread out over 48 months is $62,500 per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I really doubt Fuente gets pulled from VT after 2 years. Doesn't seem like his style given the overtures he turned down at Memphis. I also think we're a good job worth staying at.

Gonna be a wild carousel because I agree with LLCoolJD I don't really know who you look at in the coaching world right now and go "YEAH THAT GUY IS THE NEW HOT THING" who isn't already in an alright spot or is cost prohibitive. I think there will be some coach swapping more likely than not. Some alright coaches seem to need a reset; Butch, Sumlin, Bert, Graham, Anderson, McElwain was well thought of until now. Wouldn't surprise me to see Florida think Sumlin could be alright over in the east not having to play Bama every year or something like that.

• Locked thread