Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

spog posted:

Surprisingly, that worked.

I was expecting that if I rebooted, it would restart scanning from 0%, but no, it quite happily shut-up.

You and I both know that your colleagues don't know the difference between 12am and 12pm

Oh no, 12pm is the intended time because people turn off laptops and poo poo so they never get scanned.

Awful page snipe, we just on-boarded a new client, when was I told we were getting a new client? I wasn't told, I just started getting flooded with tickets because their DCs are super hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm trying to convince the place I'm working now to move from SEP to SCEP for endpoint protection (since we already own the licensing and who gives a poo poo, it's endpoint), and now I'm down the rabbit hole of Gartner reports and magic quadrants.

Oy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh SEP is fun, one of our clients uses that, it actually does a few things really well (application/device control specifically), but everything else sucks. At least LUA doesn't break every other week now though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Crowley posted:

Get most people to read your mail: Mark the mail "Low Priority"

This works really well. That little blue arrow is strange and exotic.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MF_James posted:

oh SEP is fun, one of our clients uses that, it actually does a few things really well (application/device control specifically), but everything else sucks. At least LUA doesn't break every other week now though.

There are better ways to accomplish those things than lumping them in with your endpoint product, and their NTP component is a blight upon the Earth.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There are better ways to accomplish those things than lumping them in with your endpoint product, and their NTP component is a blight upon the Earth.

We only have AV enabled I think. It's been a long time since SEP was My Problem (shunted that off to the next new guy on our team ASAP)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use SCEP and it works fine.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

you missed an opportunity to become a MSP

You misread, clearly the dude is already working on sealing the deal with a service provider.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm trying to convince the place I'm working now to move from SEP to SCEP for endpoint protection (since we already own the licensing and who gives a poo poo, it's endpoint), and now I'm down the rabbit hole of Gartner reports and magic quadrants.

Oy.

Huh, I had just sent an email out to our team saying "So what do y'all think of moving from SEP to SCEP since we already own it and since we're looking to make much more use of SCCM now?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SCEP found all the CCleaner viruses and cleaned em up. A++ would recommend.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I did this already at my old job and migrated the environment away from SEP. I look forward to continuing the trend of reducing Symantec's influence wherever I can.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MF_James posted:

It's been a long time since SEP was My Problem (shunted that off to the next new guy on our team ASAP)

So you would say it's Somebody Else's Problem? :v:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
A customer got crypto.

Their only backup system was on-prem, and all users in the domain had full read-write access to it.

The first thing they did after removing all suspect workstations from the network was to delete all new/unknown files from all their servers.

Fortunately, we had nothing to do with backups for them because we're 'too expensive' and they don't trust anyone else to do it right...

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MANime in the sheets posted:

Their only backup system was on-prem, and all users in the domain had full read-write access to it.

..and to think I got called "a bit paranoid" when I insisted on non-AD machines with separate random passwords for anything with delete/alter access. Backup and restore? Sure, but no saved account can modify or delete anything!

A PHONECALL CAME IN!

:downs: Our new wireless dental scanner isn't working. It can't see the network.
:geno: *looks at it* This scanner doesn't follow specs. It can only use 2.4 GHz, and we only use 5 GHz.
:downs: Can't you turn it on just where we will use it?
:geno: Sorry, but no. Policy since last year, as per [Central IT policy board] decision.
:downs: But..
:geno: No!
:downs: But the vendor doesn't support 5 GHz at all!
:geno: No!
:downs: C-LEVELS HEEELP!
Guess who said "Did you look at the policy?" and told them to pound sand.

They're working with the vendor to get 5 GHz added to the product, and I couldn't care less. We're not bending any rules and degrading the network when we finally have an awesome solution that kicks all kinds of rear end.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

Just like how you get people to read your mail.

Get a few more people to read your mail: Mark the mail "High Priority"
Get most people to read your mail: Mark the mail "Low Priority"
Get everyone to read your mail: Send the mail, wait 10 seconds, then recall it.

Brilliant

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What argument is made against 2.4 GHz?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SEKCobra posted:

What argument is made against 2.4 GHz?

The echoing chorus of everyone else's wireless AP in the area interfering with eachother over a dozen channels.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The echoing chorus of everyone else's wireless AP in the area interfering with eachother over a dozen channels.

Reduced noise was definitely a deciding factor. Microwave ovens, baby monitors, car remotes, garage openers, other APs, etc. 5 GHz also gives us better speeds. Plus, as far as I know (I didn't set it up) we can now use both transmitters in the APs for 5 GHz.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Well that was a nice extended weekend, I wonder how my queue looks

:yikes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

snip

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

A customer got crypto.

The first thing they did after removing all suspect workstations from the network was to delete all new/unknown files from all their servers.

Fortunately, we had nothing to do with backups for them because we're 'too expensive' and they don't trust anyone else to do it right...

holy poo poo

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Levitate posted:

holy poo poo

Sounds like they won't be a customer anymore depending on what data got hit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A customer got crypto.

The number of companies that pay lip service to backups is truly staggering. In order of most common offenders to least, I'd say that most small businesses fall afoul of one or more of the following:

• Thinking that copying the file(s) to another location, and removing the original, counts as a backup. It doesn't: if you only have one copy, it's not a backup.
  • Thinking that RAID is a backup. It's not. Really this is just an extension of the above, but it's so common it's worth listing on its own.
  • Thinking that it's okay to have both your backups and your original data accessible from the same computer. It's not. Ransomware will gently caress you up.
  • Thinking it's safe to have your (only) backup and original data physically located near each other. It's not, and it doesn't have to be a complete disaster that levels the building to take out all your data.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We used to back up our QuickBooks nightly to a flash drive that was kept in the office AND one on the manager's keychain.

We don't anymore. I can't wait for the aftermath. :allears:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

With the ridiculous price of Bitcoin these days, are cryptos asking for fractions of coins yet?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wa27 posted:

With the ridiculous price of Bitcoin these days, are cryptos asking for fractions of coins yet?

Of course they have, do you think they're asking for 4-5k in ransom these days? It's usually around 300 USD.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Edit: Totally misunderstood the question.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Of course they have, do you think they're asking for 4-5k in ransom these days? It's usually around 300 USD.

The only two times I ran into crypto variants, they were asking for 1 BTC. First time I saw it, that was $200. Second time it was like $500. I thought maybe it just never changed.

I guess I forgot they probably get most of their ransom payments off home users.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Crosspost:

It's been a few years, do we want to do another christmas group buy?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

Message me, I'm in

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

wa27 posted:

The only two times I ran into crypto variants, they were asking for 1 BTC. First time I saw it, that was $200. Second time it was like $500. I thought maybe it just never changed.

I guess I forgot they probably get most of their ransom payments off home users.

I wonder if that's true. I'm not sure many home users would go through the hassle of buying and transmitting Bitcoin, let alone the expense. I would bet it's mostly small-medium businesses with inadequate backup solutions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

Yes!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Mine died a few weeks ago. I'm in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Another USB stick though? Or something different?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you get bottle openers that are also U2F keys?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

I'm in if I can get one in the UK.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

hell yeah mine fell apart into my tiny pieces because I beat it up pretty hard

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Yep! This will save me Christmas shopping this year.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I need a new key too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Let me know, this looks awesome

• Locked thread