Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Zoro posted:

City of Mist just came out. The new PbtA game.

It's 513 pages long.

W-what!? N-nani!?

Giving the book a once-over, about 50 pages in the beginning is going over the base setting, and probably a grand total of about 50 pages of half or full-page art. If the table of contents is correct, the MC section is 160-ish pages. It's definitely a highly stylish book, too. I can't tell just by quickly looking over it whether the style helps make things easier or harder to read, but I can definitely say I'd be surprised if it doesn't do one of the two just given the amount of variation of the page layouts. It's full-color and they seem to try to use every single color they can.

Also, to add to what EM said, your character is built out of 4 themebooks, which are some basic questions on how your stuff works, plus your crew has it's own themebook along with some more questions, so there's a lot of words just for character creation. I kickstarted this at the lowest level, and I'm kinda curious how it'll read and play, but it was definitely something I didn't think much of until they started sending out solid updates in the last week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's largely powered by hateorade. Like, they get that 5e sucks, so they rail against it, and then they also rail on Pathfinder, but then they also rail(ed) on 4e.

They hate 5th edition too? 4th edition and Pathfinder make sense, but now you've got my attention.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

They hate 5th edition too? 4th edition and Pathfinder make sense, but now you've got my attention.

The view is that 5th Edition is largely an empty-suit of a game, with rules that don't exist and rules that don't work.

I figure that this is a forum community that's really invested in trying to "fix" 3rd Edition, and they not only saw 5th Edition as a gigantic missed opportunity, but also as a lazy adoption of all of 3rd's worst mistakes. Wizards are still all-powerful, the CR system is still broken as poo poo, the skill system still doesn't make sense, and there are so many rules that are "missing" that you're going to mentally backfill the holes with stuff you knew from 3.5e anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

Frank Trollman and his posse hate games with ambiguous hand-wavey rules (whether those rules are actually ambiguous and hand-wavey or if they're simply too stupid to understand how they're meant to be used is a matter of debate depending on the game in question) so yeah, they probably aren't a fan of Next's "ask your GM" philosophy and overall mushy, halfassed mechanics. Remember, this is the place that coined the phrase "magical tea party." I'm not actually sure what, if any, games Trollman actually likes to be honest, I think they spend most of their time grudgingly trying to hammer 3.X into something less janky because of course they do, but I'm not actually aware of any game that TGD holds up as the gold standard for what an elfgame "should" be like.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not actually sure what, if any, games Trollman actually likes to be honest, I think they spend most of their time grudgingly trying to hammer 3.X into something less janky because of course they do, but I'm not actually aware of any game that TGD holds up as the gold standard for what an elfgame "should" be like.

1. This reminds me of how Trollman also doesn't like 13th Age because he can't stomach the idea that a level 1 adventurer is going to register as more than a blip to any of the Icons.

2. As far as I can tell, the one game that wouldn't be met with vehement objections would be playing D&D 3.5, but only up to about level 5 to 8.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Does Frank even hate After Sundown? His very own, hilarious World of Darkness heartbreaker?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are we doing Secret Santa this year?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is this when i get to make a 64 Discrete Operations or whatever insane number Frank Trollman cooked up when trying to find a way to hate the ORE system joke

i think it was 64 and then later bumped it up to 128 after "realizing" his math was wrong

he actually argued that the only way to parse an ORE dice pool was to individually compare every die to every other die in the pool, one by one, in order to determine which dice match and which don't.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 30, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alaois posted:

he actually argued that the only way to parse an ORE dice pool was to individually compare every die to every other die in the pool, one by one, in order to determine which dice match and which don't.

I don't want to make a "D&D causes brain damage" joke, but, uh, does this guy actually have some sort of cognitive/executive disability that makes it difficult for him to parse dice pools? Does he have the same issue with other dice-pool games, or does he believe that "look for matches" is somehow harder than "look for high numbers?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zoro posted:

What is New Werewolf, anyway? Being part of a bunch of gangbangers?

It boils down to four things, and the conflict between them.

1) Werewolves are part human, and have to deal with your normal typical human bullshit.

2) Werewolves are part spirit, and their job is to be Spirit Parole Officers and make sure any spirits in this world don't go Too Far and start hurting people.

3) Neither of these things can be easily solved with sudden shows of absolute violence.

4) The wolf must hunt.

Basically, the wolf origin story is that once, in Maybe Pangaea, the spirit world and material world coexisted in one metaphysical "place," and it loving ruled. Father Wolf did his job of making sure spirits and humans were cool with each other, and Luna was impressed by this and they had a bunch of werewolf kids. Father Wolf got old and lovely at his job, so a bunch of his kids nodded and figured they had to replace him to make sure the balance was kept, except this involved murdering him, and that split the worlds apart. Luna got pissed and cursed all his kids to be werewolves. The ones that killed Father Wolf were like "No no we can still fix this!" and went with their original plan of taking up Father Wolf's job and making sure the spirit world doesn't overwhelm the material world. Spirits kinda think they're bullshit for this, so they're called the Forsaken, and they are typically your PCs. The other werewolves, who were chicken poo poo, got mad about this and want their awesome paradise back, so their plan is to murder all of you and drag the spirit world back (which would be VERY BAD for humanity and, uh, everything, really), and called themselves the Pure.

The catch to this is: the Pure outnumber the Forsaken, but the Forsaken make up for it by being, well, human. Your pack isn't just your local wolves - it's your friends, your family. Zoe down the street who tutors your cousin. Dan who works at the deli and always gets you the nice cuts. Christopher the elementary school teacher who's been just so helpful for one of your packmates' kid's. Spirits don't like Forsaken, and they have to deal with waaaaay more human bullshit then the Pure do, but in turn, Luna has held back on some of her curse (Forsaken can hold silver just fine) and given them a few blessings, and, well, having that human connection isn't exactly a bad thing.

So, Spirit Parole Officers try to balance being human while also being a wolf spirit that needs to set territory and hunt and fight something, and also your (spiritually) removed cousins want to murder all of you. Most of your powers are AMAZING at KILLING, and also you really want to NOT kill things.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I don't want to make a "D&D causes brain damage" joke, but, uh, does this guy actually have some sort of cognitive/executive disability that makes it difficult for him to parse dice pools? Does he have the same issue with other dice-pool games, or does he believe that "look for matches" is somehow harder than "look for high numbers?"

there's a reason i chose the word "argued" instead of "believes" because I'm half convinced that even he knows what massive bullshit he was spewing but it was something he could hold against the game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
100% that Trollman knows how to compare dice pools and he's deliberately restating the process as some kind of hugely onerous task (the way a computer might do it) so he can rabble-rouse

Because it's that same kind of deliberate and disingenuous misreading that allows him to bang-on about "Bear World", too

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

mango sentinel posted:

Are we doing Secret Santa this year?

Leperflesh normally gets the ball rolling some time in November, if I remember correctly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I think people recognise and like old vampire more but does anyone like the other old lines more than the new? Hunters being normalish humans rather than Proto-exalted guys with some magic benefactor, Changelings as survivors of evil fae realms instead of weird hippies, poo poo like that seems way stronger. Maybe Old Mage is more popular, but either line is impossible to gamify properly.

Old Werewolf is still more popular than new, IIRC. Mostly because new Werewolf comes off as aggressively bland Exalted.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wraith justifies the oWoD's existence even if everything else is of questionable value at best

Wraith was such a cool idea, but I've never seen a game of it played that didn't come off badly. Anyone got a LP?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 30, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

there's a reason i chose the word "argued" instead of "believes" because I'm half convinced that even he knows what massive bullshit he was spewing but it was something he could hold against the game

He'd have to know it's bullshit. ORE is very transparent about its probabilities, to the point that many ORE games include a very simple table breaking it down somewhere in the rules.

Liquid Communism posted:

Old Werewolf is still more popular than new, IIRC. Mostly because new Werewolf comes off as aggressively bland Exalted.

That's not how Forsaken works at all, but granted the 1e version of the book was really terrible at actually conveying its premise.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Trollman's extremely incorrect and moronic opinion of Glorantha, that it's garbage solely because of the ducks, is all anyone should need to entirely dismiss his rancid mind grapes.

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's not how Forsaken works at all, but granted the 1e version of the book was really terrible at actually conveying its premise.

I think this was a problem with all the NWoD games to varying degrees, even Vampire slightly, and later supplements did the job much better. How much better would have for example, NMage been received by the gaming community at large if people didn't think it was pretty much solely a game about RAD GUYS FROM ATLANTIS DOING ATLANTIS THINGS? Granted some of that was bad faith, but still.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 30, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Trollman is one of those cases where he's been doing this for so long and with such sincerity, it doesn't matter if he "really believes" his stupid idiot ideas. Tons of people recently have been "pretending" to be Nazis, and the upshot is they look a whole lot like for-real Nazis. If being too dense to grasp really obvious poo poo about nearly every non-D&D3 elfgame is a long con, it makes no difference from the outside.

There are people out there who sincerely believe water has a memory that you can trick with poison into becoming medicine. Ray Kurzweil is a legitimate savant who also believes taking 200 bullshit pills every day will make him immortal enough to survive to see the coming of computer Jesus. Until Trollman gives you any reason to think he's putting on an act, don't afford him the dignity of presuming he's not that goddamn stupid.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I think this was a problem with all the NWoD games to varying degrees, even Vampire slightly, and later supplements did the job much better. How much better would have for example, NMage been received by the gaming community at large if people didn't think it was pretty much solely a game about RAD GUYS FROM ATLANTIS DOING ATLANTIS THINGS? Granted some of that was bad faith, but still.

Yeah the 1e of nMage had an even worse time of it, really. And the nWoD books that do start out giving very clear hooks often leave me wondering how you're meant to run them as more than short/one-shot games without mixing splats. I don't see how you're supposed to run, say, a group of nMummies, or make nDemons team up long-term without cutting into the paranoia that makes them so intriguing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I ran a group of nMummies for a while -- the key was spotlight rotation and a couple of common enemies, and one of the things I kind of rate nMummy for is that one of the common enemies which should unite modern players is 'the setting conceits'.

Like, one of the few things Mummies have in common is that they're all cogs in this horrific mechanism that they should absolutely be trying to break -- so the big plot was just 'someone's found a way of ending the cycle, someone else wants to hijack that ritual to become God, you were all pawns of the latter in defeating the former last time he tried it, also none of you remember anything, do whatever comes naturally'.

(What came naturally, it transpired, was explosions.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

The view is that 5th Edition is largely an empty-suit of a game, with rules that don't exist and rules that don't work.
Isn't that largely indistinguishable from the SA view of 5e? It sounds basically about right to me, though I'd add in how regressive the mechanics are.

Alaois posted:

is this when i get to make a 64 Discrete Operations or whatever insane number Frank Trollman cooked up when trying to find a way to hate the ORE system joke

i think it was 64 and then later bumped it up to 128 after "realizing" his math was wrong

I remember someone here making the 7th Sea 2e dice pool system out to be an incredibly complex unsolved mathematical theorem, so that's kinda par for the course. :)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Isn't that largely indistinguishable from the SA view of 5e? It sounds basically about right to me, though I'd add in how regressive the mechanics are.
Yes. It's just that the community also hates 4e (and basically every other game out there).

dwarf74 posted:

I remember someone here making the 7th Sea 2e dice pool system out to be an incredibly complex unsolved mathematical theorem, so that's kinda par for the course. :)

It's my recollection that the criticism of the 7th Sea dice pool system is that the probability model for it is so difficult to plot-out that you can't know how much better you'll get at a thing with every added die, only that you theoretically should get some benefit.

I don't know that this is a huge problem in actual play apart from making it difficult to gauge when to stop improving a stat/skill, but it's basically correct that it differs from the predictable models of a lot of other dice systems.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my recollection that the criticism of the 7th Sea dice pool system is that the probability model for it is so difficult to plot-out that you can't know how much better you'll get at a thing with every added die, only that you theoretically should get some benefit.

I don't know that this is a huge problem in actual play apart from making it difficult to gauge when to stop improving a stat/skill, but it's basically correct that it differs from the predictable models of a lot of other dice systems.
No, it was specifically regarding how players would need to solve unsolvable mathematical problems in order to assemble their dice correctly. :) A play issue, not a probability issue.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find oodles of janky design decisions buried within 7th Sea 2e. It's not a finely-crafted system by any stretch.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

There are people out there who sincerely believe water has a memory that you can trick with poison into becoming medicine. Ray Kurzweil is a legitimate savant who also believes taking 200 bullshit pills every day will make him immortal enough to survive to see the coming of computer Jesus. Until Trollman gives you any reason to think he's putting on an act, don't afford him the dignity of presuming he's not that goddamn stupid.

Once I learned that people can be convinced that food is optional, some to the point of utterly tragic self-starvation, there's pretty much no real endpoint to what convolutions the human brain can go through.

Hanlon's razor is generally a good thing to keep at the ready when it comes to the TG community, in any case.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, this is my one of my main issues with Marvel Heroic - the dice system seems designed to defy analysis, so it's very tough to puzzle out how to balance new traits or characters in general.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Werewolf 2e ducking rules and is one of my favorite games. I love playing a guy that has to balance his life and play by the rules when the easiest way he can accomplish things is by losing control and throwing out the book.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's a problem I had with Shadowrun; it's hard to tell how much more effective you are with 15 dice rather than 14.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kai Tave posted:

Frank Trollman and his posse hate games with ambiguous hand-wavey rules (whether those rules are actually ambiguous and hand-wavey or if they're simply too stupid to understand how they're meant to be used is a matter of debate depending on the game in question) so yeah, they probably aren't a fan of Next's "ask your GM" philosophy and overall mushy, halfassed mechanics. Remember, this is the place that coined the phrase "magical tea party." I'm not actually sure what, if any, games Trollman actually likes to be honest, I think they spend most of their time grudgingly trying to hammer 3.X into something less janky because of course they do, but I'm not actually aware of any game that TGD holds up as the gold standard for what an elfgame "should" be like.

I understand now. They’re desperately looking for some sort of Platonic ideal of 3rd edition gameplay. And they’ll never get it because 5th edition went a different direction. (Plus the only person who might even remotely be interested in achieving that goal made 13th age instead.) It’s almost tragic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's a problem I had with Shadowrun; it's hard to tell how much more effective you are with 15 dice rather than 14.

That's mathematically solvable, but the bigger problem is that the answer is 'not very', despite that 14 to 15 dice jump likely being very expensive in character advancement terms.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that’s one of my two gripes about dice pools. The other is that just straight die roll or die roll+modifier has much more controlled variability.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got some spare d6s and a Sharpie?

Last time I played FUDGE I just used the D6-D6 method. That was easier for everyone to understand. Actually I should post my FUDGE Dune rules for people to peruse, but the little handbook I made for my players is full of non-public-domain art I need to cut back out.

The Deleter posted:

Nobody remembers bronies with fondness.
I remember a brief window when adult MLP fandom was about how nobody can beat me up for liking girl stuff now.

Instead of just, you know, hating girls

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Nothing in Mummy was balanced, not even the balance morality scheme.
Did anybody play M:tR? It was vastly different from the Mummy fatsplat books, did the Extremely White Wolf move of saying "your old PCs were literally blown to bits," and existed for exactly 3 years before the final Time of Judgment book was released.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Every die in a pool in Shadowrun is roughly 0.33etc of a success, so by going from 14 dice to 15 your average number of successes in that pool go from 4.66etc to 5.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

I'll jump in here since he hasn't, but that's forum's user QuantumNinja and his discussion was on optimization, not use. Anyone could run the game and make 10s with the dice easily, but the real issue is it'd be impossible to know the value of adding dice or any other method of altering your dice pool. He also didn't like how it made a "mini-optimization" problem in every roll. Anyone could quickly make 10s, but did they make the best 10s they could? Are they loving themselves on a success or more because they sub-optimally made their 10s, basically? He just felt it was overly complicated and made things more of a hassle when it comes to optimization than it needed to be and didn't see the benefit it brought the game, other than novelty.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

But I'm just shocked that anyone posts there anymore. I thought everyone either knew Trollman didn't know poo poo about game design, or just forgot he existed.
I've seen some TGD posters who are so wrapped up in TGD-specific jargon (like "Infinite Bears" and Frank's :doh: interpretation of "player agency") that they are incapable of carrying on a conversation about gaming in any other forum. So it's self-perpetuating in that way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let me guess: Frank thinks "player agency" is that the players just get to say what happens and the GM can't counter it or anything, right?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
posting to free the post stuck in radium limbo

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Let me guess: Frank thinks "player agency" is that the players just get to say what happens and the GM can't counter it or anything, right?

Preeeeeety much, yes. I once to talked to someone who was a big fan of him. We talked to 3.5 D&D and he kept finding a way to just counter any kind of hypothetical scenario I threw at him, no matter how insane it got. I don't think people who like him actually want challenge in their games. I think they just want to be able to do whatever they want and bully the GM.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

To Frank, player agency is just a) how much power the PCs have, and b) how much the players can metagame everything by knowing the rules.

So it's wrong (even malicious) to, say, make 3e better by just banning time stop. That's destroying a bit of player agency. (Instead, you should fix a game by raising everyone else's power level because that will turn out so well.)

It's also wrong to, say, have an NPC wizard just summon a gazebo, unless you write up a summon gazebo spell that the players can then read to backsolve the caster's level from the cubic footage of the gazebo. That's why magical tea party is bad: how can I metagame everything if you're just making poo poo up?!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

posting to free the post stuck in radium limbo
You're doing God's work.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's also wrong to, say, have an NPC wizard just summon a gazebo, unless you write up a summon gazebo spell that the players can then read to backsolve the caster's level from the cubic footage of the gazebo.
Oh god I remember a TGD poster making that exact argument. :psyduck:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen some TGD posters who are so wrapped up in TGD-specific jargon (like "Infinite Bears" and Frank's :doh: interpretation of "player agency") that they are incapable of carrying on a conversation about gaming in any other forum. So it's self-perpetuating in that way.

Board specific cant you say

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

To Frank, player agency is just a) how much power the PCs have, and b) how much the players can metagame everything by knowing the rules.

So it's wrong (even malicious) to, say, make 3e better by just banning time stop. That's destroying a bit of player agency. (Instead, you should fix a game by raising everyone else's power level because that will turn out so well.)

It's also wrong to, say, have an NPC wizard just summon a gazebo, unless you write up a summon gazebo spell that the players can then read to backsolve the caster's level from the cubic footage of the gazebo. That's why magical tea party is bad: how can I metagame everything if you're just making poo poo up?!

What if the wizard deliberately made a smaller gazebo than he was capable of to throw them off the scent? And how would they account for an Amulet of Increased Gazebo he may or may not have to inflate it beyond his normal ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Zoro posted:

Preeeeeety much, yes. I once to talked to someone who was a big fan of him. We talked to 3.5 D&D and he kept finding a way to just counter any kind of hypothetical scenario I threw at him, no matter how insane it got. I don't think people who like him actually want challenge in their games. I think they just want to be able to do whatever they want and bully the GM.

So what happens to these people when they themselves have to GM?

• Locked thread