Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Beastmen in ME is very weird compared to WH1. With everyone being able to colonise everywhere, you end up just wiping out settlements and having someone else move in behind you. You're just like a big void that pushes through an area and everything just resumes when you go away. In WH1 you could rely on clearing out great swathes of territory because you knew you'd just be fighting certain races. Now you clear out the VCs and boom, in walk the dwarfs. Clear out the dwarfs and in walk the empire. Clear out the empire and in walk the wood elfs. It just never ends. It's kinda fun, but exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Randarkman posted:

They've said that their working on another historical title. But they've been very much hush-hush as to what it is. Warhammer 2 was released only a little over a year after the first game, most of the old games have had expansion packs released a year or two after their initial release, so it's very much in that tradition I'd say.

yeah I guess thats true Rome had Attilla not long after. I just really hope they do a Medieval 3 someday (even if that's too thematically close to Attila for them to do anytime soon) or revisit the Napoleonic era

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Earwicker posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question but:

what happened to this series??

I liked their historical games, when they announced the first Warhammer game I figured they'd go back to something historical right after. This is the first time I can remember them doing the same thing twice in a row instead of skipping around. Is this fantasy stuff like more of a permanent new direction for the whole series now or what?

CA is also working on DLC for one of the previous historical games (either Attila or Rome 2, still a mystery), a Saga game (sort of like Napoleon, centered on a specific conflict or immediate period instead of an era) and a big historical game. The specifics are still unknown, though, they're being very hush-hush about it for now, but marketing should get to it once it's off release season for TWW 2.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Re: Map chat

Anyone else get the map with the random rear end tower on the AI side about 90% of the time? I've seen that thing all over Southlands and Lustria.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Plavski posted:

Beastmen in ME is very weird compared to WH1. With everyone being able to colonise everywhere, you end up just wiping out settlements and having someone else move in behind you. You're just like a big void that pushes through an area and everything just resumes when you go away. In WH1 you could rely on clearing out great swathes of territory because you knew you'd just be fighting certain races. Now you clear out the VCs and boom, in walk the dwarfs. Clear out the dwarfs and in walk the empire. Clear out the empire and in walk the wood elfs. It just never ends. It's kinda fun, but exhausting.

Yeah I did a brief chaos warriors run and Clan Moulder (my ally) turned ruined evil Scandinavia into a skaven fiefdom forever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ZearothK posted:

a Saga game (sort of like Napoleon, centered on a specific conflict or immediate period instead of an era) and a big historical game

For many years I have really wanted them to do a game focusing on the 30 Years War more than anything. but I don't expect to ever see that happen as it just wouldn't be marketable compared to Rome or Napoleon (or Warhammer or LOTR) etc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Earwicker posted:

For many years I have really wanted them to do a game focusing on the 30 Years War more than anything. but I don't expect to ever see that happen as it just wouldn't be marketable compared to Rome or Napoleon (or Warhammer or LOTR) etc.

Same, either 30 Years War Europe or Mongol Invasions East Asia would be my wishlist for a major historical release.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Earwicker posted:

After the wild variety in units in Warhams, I'm not sure I could go back to a period that was just pointy sticks and guns for the entire game.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

peer posted:

If memory serves they've said they're currently working on a major historical title for a period/setting they haven't visited yet, as well as a smaller Fall of the Samurai-esque standalone thingy for a previously explored setting. They're just doing the three Warhammers alongside.

They need to do the Thirty-Years War, especially after making the Empire work so well.
Edit: Ha, everyone wants religious wars in Germany.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 30, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah its been a while since I looked into Warhammer fantasy stuff but IIRC the uniforms and weapons of the human factions seem heavily influenced from the 30 Years War period anyway

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Plavski posted:

The AI in TWW1 basically never colonized ruins ever unless they had the 'ruins dweller' tag like Vampire Counts. Now everyone will aggressively pursue razed settlement land grabs. In my Skarsnik game I burned Nuln to the ground and the turn after I left Averland showed up to set up shop. It'll mean that you're going to be a lot less safe by midgame because you can't just retreat deep into a burned out hellzone to lick wounds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It really struck me how much better the TWW2 campaign building trees were designed than the first game when I hopped around trying out starts in ME. Almost all of the old races are saddled with loving garbage high tier unit production building nonsense where to earn the honor of recruiting something more interesting than basic T1 infantry/shooters you need like tier 4 buildings that are dependent on other tier 4 buildings, which means you play huge swathes of the campaign with only boring basic units without actually being able to use cool stuff. God help you if you're a faction that needs to slingshot to T4 buildings to actually get heroes on the board, because a lot of the old hero production buildings are tied to no unit types.

Meanwhile all of the new factions have good variety packed into the first 3 tiers and only the gangbusters endgame stuff like super monsters and poo poo is packed into the end of the tech tree which means you actually get some unit variety outside of your Turn 90 Fully Developed Home Province. Vampire Counts got a pretty substantial building tree rework that makes basically everything except for the Black Coach/Terrorgheists/Blood Knights available at T3 or below, which means that they can actually construct cool armies at a reasonable point instead of rolling the Raise Dead Roulette. They also get half of their heroes at T3 with no dependencies and the other two at T4 with no dependencies and all of them are tied to unit production or economic buildings you're going to build anyway instead of tucked off in their own special snowflake building. The old races would benefit hugely from getting this kind of rework across the board because it's way more interesting than yet another Dwarf Warrior + Quarreler + Grudge Thrower stack.

TWW is packed with so many cool and interesting unit types but you can never use most of them until you're steamrolling.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Same, either 30 Years War Europe or Mongol Invasions East Asia would be my wishlist for a major historical release.

My money is on 6 Kingdoms Period in China.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Argggh who else knows the feeling of winning a pretty tight battle and then having the game bug off during the "mop up routers" phase because it ran out of memory?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm really happy that it only takes getting to tier 2 for most of the factions lucky enough to have a 10-slot capital for them to have a good selection of unit types to build their early game armies. The Dwarfs are especially lucky, because they can get Warriors, Quarrelers, Grudge Throwers, and Bolt Throwers on top of two money buildings, which means they can have an actual army composition beyond a billion crossbows behind a billion shields while they tech up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mightypeon posted:

Argggh who else knows the feeling of winning a pretty tight battle and then having the game bug off during the "mop up routers" phase because it ran out of memory?

I know the feeling and it happened more than a few times in Napoleon for me, thankfully never in Total Hams.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kanos posted:

It really struck me how much better the TWW2 campaign building trees were designed than the first game when I hopped around trying out starts in ME. Almost all of the old races are saddled with loving garbage high tier unit production building nonsense where to earn the honor of recruiting something more interesting than basic T1 infantry/shooters you need like tier 4 buildings that are dependent on other tier 4 buildings, which means you play huge swathes of the campaign with only boring basic units without actually being able to use cool stuff. God help you if you're a faction that needs to slingshot to T4 buildings to actually get heroes on the board, because a lot of the old hero production buildings are tied to no unit types.

Meanwhile all of the new factions have good variety packed into the first 3 tiers and only the gangbusters endgame stuff like super monsters and poo poo is packed into the end of the tech tree which means you actually get some unit variety outside of your Turn 90 Fully Developed Home Province. Vampire Counts got a pretty substantial building tree rework that makes basically everything except for the Black Coach/Terrorgheists/Blood Knights available at T3 or below, which means that they can actually construct cool armies at a reasonable point instead of rolling the Raise Dead Roulette. They also get half of their heroes at T3 with no dependencies and the other two at T4 with no dependencies and all of them are tied to unit production or economic buildings you're going to build anyway instead of tucked off in their own special snowflake building. The old races would benefit hugely from getting this kind of rework across the board because it's way more interesting than yet another Dwarf Warrior + Quarreler + Grudge Thrower stack.

TWW is packed with so many cool and interesting unit types but you can never use most of them until you're steamrolling.

For Dwarves, The Hammerer and Ironbreaker building really should have been the t4 upgrade of their infantry barracks rather than being it's own separate building. The dwarves' big problem in general is that they have a hellishly slow growth rate compared to pretty much everyone else that really limits how many high tiered (and thus high hero capacity) units come out. Thanes come out at t3, but you don't get to upgrade your thane capacity until said separate t4 building.

I can see what they were going for with the Empire's building trees. They wanted each province to have 2-3 of the 4-5 high tiered buildings so you could specialize "This is the province what the steam tanks are made because it has the armory and the gunnery buildings, whereas *this* one has the cav building and the armory, so it gets to be where Demigryphs live". The problem is that basically no other race outside of Empire and the Dwarves really have to make those choices and for TWW1 Empire the limited building slots meant that if you wanted to have any sort of capacity for Witch Hunters and Warrior Priests you had to give up an advanced building slot.

On the flip side, the only hero Dark Elves and Lizards get at Tier 3 or earlier are Death Hags and Skink Priests, their casters and assassins and scar vets are all Tier 4. High elves get Noble access at tier two plus tier 3 wizards for whom their buildings is tied to their endgame infantry, but granted can't increase capacity on nobles until t4.

For Empire specifically, I think it would be worthwhile if they took away some of the building dependencies for *some* of the units. Outriders, Reiksguard, and probably vanilla cannons really shouldn't require extra buildings to make, if only to increase the variety in early game armies and give you more of a reason to build an early Reikfort.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Imagine trying to capture all regions on this map. :getin:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChickenWing posted:

Has anyone else noticed that occasionally an AI faction will go to war with you without displaying any "lets fite" prompt?

I've had this happen on two separate occasions so far. The first was in my Tyrion campaign, when I used an agent action against saphery and they immediately flipped to At War.

The second just happened last night in my Mazda game - I was towards the end of the 10-turn peace treaty time with Pestilens and concentrating on other things, then a full stack started sieging one of my cities out of the blue. No declaration of war, no diplomacy screen, nada. I don't even think I used an agent action against them, although I may have scouted a ruin with one of their cities in it.

They're having someone else ask them to join a war against you. There's no diplo pop up when that happens, just a little notification in the box under the mini map.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
How do I beat wood elves as greenskins?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
This is how I would tweak the progression for Dwarves:

Gyrocopters: Give them a tier earlier, so you have Gyrocopters-Brimstone Gun Gyros-Gyrobomber progression.
Trollhammer Torpedo Irondrakes: Keep it in the same tier as Flamethrower Irondrakes. It really doesn't feel like an 'upgrade' and is a rather niche unit.
Hammerers/Ironbreakers: As mentioned, make their barracks have a 4th tier instead of needing Hall of Oaths AND a Gromril Forge.
Slayers: Remove the support building requirement, allowing you to make Slayers with just the Slayer Shrine.
Monument to Grimnir: Have this landmark building in Karak Kadrin split into more tiers, with more benefits; have it go from Tier 2-5 with each tier adding +1 veterancy and -2% upkeep to slayers.
Hall of Oaths: Now that this isn't required for Hammerers/Ironbreakers, instead have each of these increase hero capacity of all hero types by 1, and give Ld/MA/MD bonuses to Lords/Heroes defending that settlement.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

'Khazukan Kazakit-Ha' did a lot of those things, any chance we'll see it ported over Gejnor?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Kaza42 posted:

I've been getting a BSOD when I launch this game recently. Is there a known bug or fix for this sort of thing?

Install the mod that skips the into movies.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1149642323&searchtext=

Verify game files in Steam.

Change the affinity of the .exe file to CPU 0 only.
http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...lution-Found%21

Use DirectX 11, not 12. But try 12 anyway.
https://forums.totalwar.com/discuss...s-after-battles

Change the resolution you're playing the game in to your monitor resolution.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/3643...36262672052403/

See if what this guy did helps. If it doesn't you'll need to reinstall the game though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8DPzwvmY5E

Reinstall the game.

Reinstall the game and Steam

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Earwicker posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question but:

what happened to this series??

I liked their historical games, when they announced the first Warhammer game I figured they'd go back to something historical right after. This is the first time I can remember them doing the same thing twice in a row instead of skipping around. Is this fantasy stuff like more of a permanent new direction for the whole series now or what?

They stated from the beginning that they were going to do the ENTIRE Warhammer Fantasy franchise and that that would amount to 3~ games worth of content.

Everything is going entirely according to plan. We still don't have every Warhammer faction accounted for by game 2, just most of them.

It takes a lot more development resources than a historical Total War game because here the factions are, well, actually meaningfully distinct from each other.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 30, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Trick-or-Queek

http://woobox.com/rvxxxo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
High Elves getting a Surtha Ek analogue is funny, and I think they should just balls out with the gimmick for every race that can spam chariots:

Dark Elves: Asuria splintek rocking the Cold One Chariots
Greenskins: Swurthy Ekker cruising around in Boar Chariots
Beastmen: Ek-Ek and his legion of Razorgor Chariots
Tomb Kings: Surtek Ammon Ek and his swarms of Skellyman Chariots

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tarantula posted:

Nobody seems to want to trade with my undead empire no matter how friendly they are, my people worked themselves to death to make this stuff.

You need better slaves, the humans and the dwarves are killing themselves to get some of my cobweb filled wine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barent posted:

How do I beat wood elves as greenskins?
MP or SP?

SP: Last time I played greenskins, a night goblin warboss with lots of gobbo archers ended up performing pretty decently against the much more expensive elves since the AI doesn't really focus-fire that often, and night goblin archers' stalk mitigates the elves' range advantage (deepshivers will wreck you though, and will perform surprisingly well against Sisters of the Thorn/Glade Riders. Goblin spears to screen the archers will do pretty well I guess, especially if you have something around to pounce on the Wild Riders if they charge in. Poison arrows helps your wolf riders close faster on their skirmisher archers too. Welves don't have artillery, so bringing one or two is nice, and a good hit on an infantry block will hurt quite a lot and make them have to come to you. Doom Divers are great, but Lobbas would be ok too. I struggled against their Wild Riders, but orc big'uns did really well against their infantry if they managed to close without being shot to poo poo.

Goblin Shaman are probably good support casters too. I haven't tried it since they reworked Night Shroud, but casting it on an Araknarok seems hilarious though I don't know how good it would be, and Sneaky Stabbin' is very good. Gork'll Fix It might help you catch enemy skirmishers of infantry or cavalry variants, and their lore attribute I can't remember the name of slows down enemy power regen so you might have to deal with fewer Life or Shadow spells being thrown at you, which is good since those lores are good. (And Shadow's lore attribute being reworked to being a bigger speed buff that's on-cast instead of a low but constant means that fewer enemy spells cast means slightly slower elves overall, which you want).

In general, WElves' strengths seem like their light cavalry and line/skirmish archers are great, while their infantry, skirmish cav, and magic options are all good but unarmored. Their light cav will crush yours, but you might be able to catch their expensive skirmish archers or disrupt their line archers long enough to get in melee with big'uns, which means you're probably good. Basically, goblin units with a night goblin warboss in general seem like they work really well against Wood Elves, especially on applying poison to everything, then big'uns come in to finish their infantry off. That slowdown, fatigue, and reduced range damage is amazingly good against a faction that wants to skirmish all the time.

Not sure about MP since I don't really play it, but I think most of what I said should still hold true and you'd actually get a bigger advantage from going goblin-heavy since cost matters more than in SP. On the other hand, human players are going to use their skirmishers and ranged units much more effectively and have a better army composition. It seems like a rough, rough matchup for the Greenskins though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 30, 2017

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Okay that makes sense, I really need to just use more gobbos then. Their archers gently caress me up before i could do anything. This is in ME btw.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Helman GHOST

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone treated me like I said "Hail Satan, Hitler FTW" when I posted it on the official forums, but I think this game would be better with less sources for buffs and bonuses and for those buffs and bonuses to be smaller then they are now.

Shades are probably the worst offender in terms of being game breaking once you start stacking all the possible unit bonuses with them, but I think its a general problem that all the careful balance goes out the window by midgame and it makes battles less interesting, ruins internal balance, and is the primart culprit in the player being able to just annihilate multiple AI stacks with nearly zero losses.

To be extreme about it, if you removed all lord red skills and all tech bonuses then you could also probably half the AIs econ bonuses and it would be a much greater challenge then now. It kinda ruins some of the fun when you realize that your lopsided victorys arent you being a tactical/strategic genius and are more the result of leveling honest steel to level 3 while the AI only put 1 point and invested the rest of their skill points in public order buffs. I dont want to completely eliminate them because I like them too but I thinks its just too much right now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barent posted:

Okay that makes sense, I really need to just use more gobbos then. Their archers gently caress me up before i could do anything. This is in ME btw.
Regular gobbos are actually really good but only if you bring a night goblin warboss for the +poison on every single gobbo unit and the ridiculous red-line buffs to them. If not, you'll need to spring for the night goblin variants, who aren't bad in and of themselves, but come with poison and stalk in return for a much higher cost. You'll probably want some against WElves for stalk anyway, but a lot of my raving about goblin units comes from using the goblin warboss a lot.

I love the way they made Skarsnik's campaign feel really distinct from the other Greenskins and wish they'd made the different Skaven tribes feel a bit more like that. Queek and Skrolk's armies all end up feeling really different thanks to their stormvermin and plague monk cost reductions/buffs, but it'd be nice if they were slightly less lord-dependent and more faction-related, if that makes sense.

SickZip posted:

Shades are probably the worst offender in terms of being game breaking once you start stacking all the possible unit bonuses with them, but I think its a general problem that all the careful balance goes out the window by midgame and it makes battles less interesting, ruins internal balance, and is the primart culprit in the player being able to just annihilate multiple AI stacks with nearly zero losses.

To be extreme about it, if you removed all lord red skills and all tech bonuses then you could also probably half the AIs econ bonuses and it would be a much greater challenge then now. It kinda ruins some of the fun when you realize that your lopsided victorys arent you being a tactical/strategic genius and are more the result of leveling honest steel to level 3 while the AI only put 1 point and invested the rest of their skill points in public order buffs. I dont want to completely eliminate them because I like them too but I thinks its just too much right now
Yes and no, I guess. Like I said, I really like how stacking some buffs can make some armies, like Skarsnik's goblin hordes, actually effective and encourage different playstyles. On the other hand, yeah, I agree that any time you have more options, the player will do better than the AI to leverage them which can take some of the fun out of the battle map.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Helman GHOST

PUMPKING Louen Leoncoeur

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Do high elves not get influence events in mortal empires? I’m a little ways in and I haven’t seen one pop yet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SickZip posted:

Everyone treated me like I said "Hail Satan, Hitler FTW" when I posted it on the official forums, but I think this game would be better with less sources for buffs and bonuses and for those buffs and bonuses to be smaller then they are now.

I vastly prefer the "teching up" process to be more about increasing stats than unlocking access to units full stop and wish they'd go further with it. It makes sense in Rome to not get late-empire units until late in a campaign, but with Warhammer's variety it's a crime to restrict access to cool poo poo until you've got tier 4 and 5 cities.

50 turns of spearmen/archer stacks sucks, even if it's effective.

A sense of progress and being able to customise/personalise your armies is good.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Solarflare posted:

Do high elves not get influence events in mortal empires? I’m a little ways in and I haven’t seen one pop yet.

They do but its weird and seems to come and go. Ill get them constantly or Ill go 20+ turns without one. The frequency is variable to where I think theres some hidden criteria going on but I havent gotten into the files to figure out what.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SickZip posted:

Yeah, I can agree with this. The game is reasonably well balanced when units have their base stats but it's extremely easy for the player to use all the available bonuses in a way that is impossible for the AI to keep up with. It's why I find the first part of the campaign most interesting since that's the point where the AI units actually can stand up to you.

The problem is that players like turning themselves into unstoppable juggernauts (and then complain that the game is too easy)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Solarflare posted:

It can be very feast or famine, but from experience w/ HEs once you get your first couple nobles, which you should shoot for early, just using them as influence batteries at a nearby enemy settlement becomes the primary way to generate influence. The traits the top lords/mages/loremasters can roll make enslaving your nobles like this totally worth it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The stats argument is why I like playing harder difficulties so enemies send bigger (sometimes better) stacks supporting each other at me. I like the stat game, it makes it feel like an RPG and more involved, but challenge does peak. So instead, I just embrace the spectacle nature of the game and fight against massive waves, since I feel it works better that way. I get why you'd want to not do it like an RPG though, just like the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Plavski posted:

After the wild variety in units in Warhams, I'm not sure I could go back to a period that was just pointy sticks and guns for the entire game.

I love all the old games but this is so true. ME makes me feel spoiled for choice, with each faction being a truly different experience.

Maybe they will take a crack at Total War:40k after the third game?