Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Samsung Gear Sport reviews are out, and they're pretty positive.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-gear-sport-review

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/30/samsung-gear-sport-review-smartwatch-regular-people-might-actually-buy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I like the new size, As a girly wrist owner I think the S3 would be too big.

I do not like the fact its square-ish. So ugly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

As a new Note 8 owner with big burly man wrists I'm disappointed by the Sport, and also disappointed to see the S3 Frontier is still $400+ Cdn.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

As a new Note 8 owner with big burly man wrists I'm disappointed by the Sport, and also disappointed to see the S3 Frontier is still $400+ Cdn.

Could you elaborate? Or is your complaint just size-related?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

azurite posted:

Could you elaborate? Or is your complaint just size-related?

woops didn't see this, I was hoping for the S4 to be a refinement on the s3, something super nice and high end, not a regression to cheap "sport" poo poo with features and design elements removed. And definitely not smaller.

I was looking at an s3 today and it's surprisingly not very premium, my lg urbane 2 lte is nicer.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

But isn't the Gear Sport a new separate line, not a Gear S4?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Technically I guess, but there's no s4 this year.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fitbit is giving Pebbles a 6 month services extension and offering $50 off an Ionic if you own a Pebble. Seems like a bad deal but at least they detail what will happen to Pebbles after they shut services down.
https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-01-24-pebble-support/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rexxed posted:

Fitbit is giving Pebbles a 6 month services extension and offering $50 off an Ionic if you own a Pebble. Seems like a bad deal but at least they detail what will happen to Pebbles after they shut services down.
https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-01-24-pebble-support/

I've been pretty happy with my Ionic, it's worth a look.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Just thought I'd post this here since I just figured it out.

I forgot to turn off an exercise on my Fitbit Charge so it was like 7 hours of time on the elliptical.

Turns out you can't edit the duration of an exercise in the Android app.

However, you can install the Fitbit app from the microsoft store on windows and it lets you edit the duration there.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think it was posted here before, but there's another low-end Chinese contender that seems very Pebble-like. The Huami Amazfit Bip:
https://www.androidauthority.com/amazfit-bip-smartwatch-month-single-charge-835357/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bip is an extremely good name

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

"Hey cool is that an iWatch?"
"Nah, It's an Amazfghhhliggh.." *vomits on self*

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How is the app ecosystems with those Chinese watches. Pretty much all I care about other than notifications and music control is live map directions. I know I can rely on the app notifications getting pushed to the watch, but that's not ideal.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

How is the app ecosystems with those Chinese watches. Pretty much all I care about other than notifications and music control is live map directions. I know I can rely on the app notifications getting pushed to the watch, but that's not ideal.

Basically none.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

So recently my Gear S3 stopped giving me text or other phone notifications. It still gives me S health updates and phone calls, but that's it. Anyone else have this problem/fixed it?

This thread talks about it, but a lot of people can't get a fix and I haven't been able to either

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/wearabletech/thread-id/8364/page/7

Good Canadian Boy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 8, 2018

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Longtime Pebble fan reporting in, looks like the new Garmin Forerunner 645 Music has come to charge out the rear end ($450, or $400 without music storage) for a powerful Pebble replacement:
-Always-on screen: chroma display is visible in ordinary light
-Relatively thin and light compared to other sport smartwatches
-Battery life for up to 7 days (12 hours w/GPS; 5 hours w/GPS and streaming music)
-Smart notifications and possible to reply to texts on the watch
-Fitness tracking: steps, GPS, heart rate, oxygen level, proper rear end wiping technique, etc

I've had trouble finding a smartwatch that fits my exact venn diagram of desired features. Honestly, if the Ionic had a transflective screen so it could function as a goddamn timepiece in addition to its other roles, I'd have an awkward, larger rectangle on my wrist already, but it's looking like the first deal on Garmin's latest will usher me into the new era of smartwatches. Anyone been able to try one yet? Video reviews make it seem right up my alley, and it may tempt other Pebble users looking to jump ship.

vvvAdded that to the list and will share definitive reviews as I find them, though the current ones seem to be from beta releasesvvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 24, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The battery life thing is a little interesting. Its up to 7 days just for being a smart watch but it drops down to 5 hours if you use it for running with music.

I feel like youd probably still have to charge it at least every other day if you are doing any sort of daily workout tracking.

If you find any decent reviews though post them up. It seems like a very interesting watch.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I run along pretty prescribed routes - outdoor tracks and up and down neighborhood streets - so GPS draining the battery isn't much of a concern. Streaming music while running is new to me and I'll probably become a traffic hazard from sprinting through an intersection during a song's climax or something.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
The definitive review site for most sport-oriented wearables: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/garmin-forerunner-645-music-gps-watch.html

dcrainmaker posted:

If youre familiar with the FR935/Fenix5, then basically it can just be summed up as Added music and Garmin Pay, took away multisport/openwater modes, and advanced navigation, roughly.

I've had the FR935 since August and it's a great watch. The 935 seems physically much larger than the 645 and probably has double the battery. I really do get 2 weeks (as is advertised) of use out of each charge and I use the GPS for about 4 hrs a week. The altimeter (set by GPS when GPS is on) is very accurate -- I went up in a small plane a few days ago and the 935's altimeter was within a few feet of the plane's readout every step of the way.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I caught wind of the Amazfit Pace Flash Sale and couldn't resist pulling the trigger.

GPS, heart rate, ceramic construction, always-on screen, plays stored music, multi-day battery, notifications, payments, waterproof, colorful display, all for a little over $100? I'm willing to bear touchscreen navigation for that feature set and price.

Can't wait to discover if I get a handy fitness and semi-smart watch like the impressed reviewers seem to evaluate or one of the buggy/glitchy paperweights commenters inevitably share.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

You had me looking at it. Very nice, but it's only water resistant. I've been known to accidentally jump in the pool or shower with my watch still on, so I'll have to pass.

I'm still agonizing over whether I want to run my Pebble into the ground, stay in the low end with the Bip, or go with a Samsung/Garmin in the higher end. Android Wear looks like a poo poo show to me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My Pace arrived and is a total lemon, so I'm loving off to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up a Garmin, either the Forerunner 235 or Vivoactive 3. Anyone partial to one over the other? Appeals to comfort and intuitive menus especially welcome!

Knighty21
Feb 10, 2004

i am not batman

Space Fish posted:

My Pace arrived and is a total lemon, so I'm loving off to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up a Garmin, either the Forerunner 235 or Vivoactive 3. Anyone partial to one over the other? Appeals to comfort and intuitive menus especially welcome!

I'll be buying the Forerunner 645 Music once they're available on garmin's site (2-3 weeks).
I've got a black Forerunner 235 that I bought about 6 months ago that I'll be finding a new home if you're interested and can wait a few weeks!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Can't wait to discover if I get a handy fitness and semi-smart watch like the impressed reviewers seem to evaluate or one of the buggy/glitchy paperweights commenters inevitably share.

Mine won't pair. At all. $100 paperweight with a heart rate sensor

also the screen's an LCD with a flat tire. and santa isn't real.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

FormatAmerica posted:

Mine won't pair. At all. $100 paperweight with a heart rate sensor

also the screen's an LCD with a flat tire. and santa isn't real.

That really blows. What're you pairing it with?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

That really blows. What're you pairing it with?

Pixel. I'm going to keep trying & try older nexus phones as well but not expecting much.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

FormatAmerica posted:

Pixel. I'm going to keep trying & try older nexus phones as well but not expecting much.

OKAY I GOT MINE TO WORK.

The hurdle is that the Pace needs a phone that is not Android 8.1 to synch with and update it, can be Android or iOS. After updating from a friend's phone, my Pace still took a couple tries to synch with my Pixel, but now it's working fine.

Budget wearables :)

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

OKAY I GOT MINE TO WORK.

The hurdle is that the Pace needs a phone that is not Android 8.1 to synch with and update it, can be Android or iOS. After updating from a friend's phone, my Pace still took a couple tries to synch with my Pixel, but now it's working fine.

Budget wearables :)

Nice, yeah that worked for me too. It's not a terrible watch build-quality wise. The screen is a little crummy, the software is decent aside from this issue.

I'm going to get a non-silicone band and give it a shot for a while.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Follow-up: the screen looks crummy backlit because it's a *transflective* color LCD like the pebbles! :catdrugs: So, always-on and looks great w/ decent room lighting.

Other similarities: simplicity of software, battery life.

Neutral to bad notes: notification support is barebones, no 3rd party apps, using the watch is a little clunky, and the phone app is fitness/health data tracking oriented. Some reviewers said heart rate sensor is inaccurate sometimes but I think that's endemic to this tech?

None of these things really bother me & it's nice otherwise, so I'll be wearing it long-term I think. May even buy a second for when the first's battery shits out after 1-2 years, as they inevitably do. I'll do a follow-up post after another week or two.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 12, 2018

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Fitbit Versa is on the horizon. Looks strikingly like the Pebble Time Steel.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/13/fitbit-versa-hands-on/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

azurite posted:

The Fitbit Versa is on the horizon. Looks strikingly like the Pebble Time Steel.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/13/fitbit-versa-hands-on/

Oh god I like the design much better than the Ionic I already own but its probably not as good as the ionic mmpphhhffff you cant make me spend money on this

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Amazfit Pace testimonial after several days' use:

•Light & comfy, at work and out running
•Reliably synchs to phone and sends notifications
•Accurate GPS, takes ~15 seconds to find me
•With notifications and 30-min daily workout, battery depletes ~25% a day (I got over constant HR tracking and just activate it manually)
•I got used to touch controls much faster than anticipated, and the lone lower button isn't as hard for me to find as it was for some reviewers. Would still like navigation buttons, but the screen's not smudgy like I thought it would become.
•For that matter, tap-to-wake works well
•Music storage and bluetooth playback works well - just drag and drop through usb
•Always-on screen is so very appreciated, and I thank Fitbit for neglecting to include it on their new Versa and continue my feeling secure over a $100 smartwatch purchase that has more of the features I want

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 15, 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone have the Nokia/Withings Steel HR, and is it any good? I can get a free fitness tracker through my work and that seems like the best option, aside from the usual Fitbits which I just don't like.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Nokia Health is probably on it's way out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well, since it's free, I pulled the trigger anyway. Would rather waste the company's money than my own.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I like mine. The silent alarm is great, and it looks classier than most trackers too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just picked up a Vivoactive 3, does anyone have any recommendations on watch faces? None of the default watch faces are really outstanding, but I also haven't found any third-party ones that show temperature, which would be super useful.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Steel HR trip report now that I've had it for like 10 days: It's pretty good. Looks like a normal watch. I like how the subdial is for your step tracking so you can get a general idea of your daily progress at a glance. OLED display is pretty drat cool. I got the black version so it's basically invisible until it lights up. The silent alarm is probably my favorite feature by far. I feel like I've woken up consistently and much less groggily since I've turned it on.

Workout feature is pretty good and super easy to turn on/off. For being on the company's dime I'm more than happy with it as a general fitness and step tracker. It does seem to track fewer steps than the inbuilt Health.app but other than that I have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I just picked up a Vivoactive 3, does anyone have any recommendations on watch faces? None of the default watch faces are really outstanding, but I also haven't found any third-party ones that show temperature, which would be super useful.

I just picked one up a few days ago, it's pretty great. The built-in watch faces with data points you can actually customize what data it shows. If you are in the watch face selection dialog, and then press on the watch face, it will pop up a menu. If you hit Customize from there one of the options is Data, there you can set which data point is displayed on the areas where the watchface has room for data. Temperature is one of the options.