Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Tallgeese I is the best Tallgeese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel bad for Jerid because he's a petty rear end in a top hat of a bully who's basically fallen in with a party of puppy eaters. Like, if he had been in a different setting - a highschool, perhaps - a kinder writer could have had him run into a teacher or coach who helped him become a good person and a decent jock. Instead, his character growth is bully learns to be a mildly flirtatious bully who immediately gets stuck in the grief/revenge spiral.

Ah well. I like watching him.

The main reason I want to get Super Robot Wars V is entirely to see this happen. I want to see Jerid realize his mistakes and become a good guy.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

he out and out says he's autistic.

Do you remember what episode this is from? I don’t recall this from my viewing of the series last year.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tallgeese III has a heat whip, extendo gun, and a crest, so it's the best.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
My favorite thing about Zeta Gundam is the constant physical violence, often with little to no provocation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StZDxiUIWE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main reason I want to get Super Robot Wars V is entirely to see this happen. I want to see Jerid realize his mistakes and become a good guy.
It's cool in V because its a bit understated by Super Robot Wars standards but for all that Jerid is in that game he has a nice little arc.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gammatron 64 posted:

My favorite thing about Zeta Gundam is the constant physical violence, often with little to no provocation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StZDxiUIWE

Honestly the fact that you could have a running per episode average of something like .75 random smacks to the face per episode in Zeta is great.

Bright has some of his best pilot slaps in Zeta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Tallgeese III has a heat whip, extendo gun, and a crest, so it's the best.

That’s exactly the problem. It’s got way too much going on, and it breaks up that beautiful, clean silhouette that’s its biggest selling point. And while I appreciate Milliardo showing clown solidarity with Trowa, that jester’s cap looks really dumb.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Tallgeese I is the best Tallgeese.

This is correct. It is followed by Tallgeese Valkyrie, Tallgeese III, then the other two.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

brainwrinkle posted:

Do you remember what episode this is from? I don’t recall this from my viewing of the series last year.

It's a one-off line in... episode nine, I believe. While talking to Emma he goes "I'm an autistic child!" and she hits him for claiming to be a child when um no, he's a teenager and has adult responsibilities. All part of the Kamille learns to be an adult stuff.

If the translation IS accurate, then it's super cool! An autistic character who is autistic without it dominating the plot!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s exactly the problem. It’s got way too much going on, and it breaks up that beautiful, clean silhouette that’s its biggest selling point. And while I appreciate Milliardo showing clown solidarity with Trowa, that jester’s cap looks really dumb.

Then I guess I shouldn't share my favorite Tallgeese.

:kheldragar:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The ideal Tallgeese would be the Tallgeese I with the III's faceplate, because that faceplate is slightly cooler.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Honestly the fact that you could have a running per episode average of something like .75 random smacks to the face per episode in Zeta is great.

Bright has some of his best pilot slaps in Zeta.

The sheer ridiculousness of people constantly punching each other over the most minor transgressions got to the point where I started laughing whenever someone got beat up in the show. That's... probably not the intended effect

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a one-off line in... episode nine, I believe. While talking to Emma he goes "I'm an autistic child!" and she hits him for claiming to be a child when um no, he's a teenager and has adult responsibilities. All part of the Kamille learns to be an adult stuff.

If the translation IS accurate, then it's super cool! An autistic character who is autistic without it dominating the plot!

I don't think that line is in the dub FWIW

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't remember that line when I watched the show five or so years back. /m/ is the only other place where I've seen people post that line and well that's /m/.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I don't remember that line when I watched the show five or so years back. /m/ is the only other place where I've seen people post that line and well that's /m/.

I'm watching the EG subs (I know, I know, buy the blu-rays) and at 8:08 of episode 9 he says it.

I'm trying to transcribe what he says so I can run it through google translate, but, uh, I'm probably not going to get anywhere.

e: ... Holy cow. He actually says じへいしょう, best as I can figure, and that's literally autistic child. http://jisho.org/word/%E8%87%AA%E9%96%89%E7%97%87%E5%85%90

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 30, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Garma and Dozle were also heavily against the Genocide stuff.

Also going back to the Titans and motivations. The only ones there who were really just plain evil were Bask Om and Yazan.

After watching both Zeta and ZZ recently, I don't know if I would necessarily call Yazan evil. He likes mobile suit combat a little too much, but you could put in on Londo Bell or something and he'd be the exact same.

He is not a good person by any means, but he shows a moral fiber sometimes. He and that one captain were both like "nah, ya'll are hosed up, I am not doing that" when the colony gas operation happened. And... well, what he did to Jamaican was hosed up, Jamaican was a bit of a monster himself.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One step less evil than 'willing to use weapons of mass destruction on civilian targets' is still pretty loving evil.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to continue the talk about Kamille because he's by far my favorite Gundam MC up to this point.

Firstly, contrast Start of Zeta Kamille with Start of MSG Amuro.Amuro is sitting around in his underwear, completely oblivious to the fact a war is raging right outside his house. Kamille, by contrast, is a man of action. We're introduced to him as he does the following:
1. Assaults a member of the Space Gestapo because the guy kind of insulted him.
2. When bailed out by his mom, his reaction is to assault the guys releasing him.
3. He then steals a car before jumping out of the car while it's racing along.
4. To cap it all off, he steals a robot to further terrorize the people who arrested him.

When people here were recounting why they loved Zeta back when I started it, someone listed their favorite "Kamille Moment" was when he threw a guy on crutches off a mountain. Once I actually watched Zeta, I realized that Kamille was not only 100% right to do this, that guy on crutches should have been thrown down a volcano.

Kamille, compared to most Gundam MCs, is very resolute and determined. People call him a hypocrite for this because he will switch from lametning violence to murdering your rear end but it's clear he's just good at compartmentalization. He does care and want to help but that just means he's okay with killing you if you get in the way of his helping.

That's a big reason I love Kamille. Another reason is his voice. He had a really cool dub VA who I think sold Kamille's personality perfectly. It's a shame most of the Zeta dub cast aren't in anything but the anime and that Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam PS2 game. Which is a really cool game for all the What-If Scenarios. The idea of Kamille joining the Titans is decently plausible, for example if you had just switched around events a little bit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm watching the EG subs (I know, I know, buy the blu-rays) and at 8:08 of episode 9 he says it.

I'm trying to transcribe what he says so I can run it through google translate, but, uh, I'm probably not going to get anywhere.

e: ... Holy cow. He actually says じへいしょう, best as I can figure, and that's literally autistic child. http://jisho.org/word/%E8%87%AA%E9%96%89%E7%97%87%E5%85%90

I had to go and check myself. I'm an actual translator and yeah, he pretty much says he's an autistic child. I did a little check on Japanese opinions on it too and nobody seems completely sure on whether he's actual factual autistic, whether its a misuse of the term or whether he's just making it up to get Emma to leave him alone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kamille is kinda a hypocrite, at least early on. he gets mad at people for doing the same poo poo that he's still doing. he does get over it after a while. like when he bitches out katz for taking a suit without permission? that was after he stopped doing it

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RillAkBea posted:

I had to go and check myself. I'm an actual translator and yeah, he pretty much says he's an autistic child. I did a little check on Japanese opinions on it too and nobody seems completely sure on whether he's actual factual autistic, whether its a misuse of the term or whether he's just making it up to get Emma to leave him alone.

Yeah, I don't know whether he actually is autistic, if he's just different to the average person because he's a newtype and got a label, just making it up to get Emma to piss off, was just given a label so his parents wouldn't feel bad that their child doesn't connect with or like them because it's easier to go "our child is autistic" than "we are bad parents" sorta deal or if it is just a complete misuse of the term because its 1985. I think he says it again when Astonaige talks about how rad his robot blueprints are, nice work maybe you're a newtype because that's definitely not super insulting to reduce someone's hard work down to being a magic brain baby.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The sheer ridiculousness of people constantly punching each other over the most minor transgressions got to the point where I started laughing whenever someone got beat up in the show. That's... probably not the intended effect

They actually play the "correction" for laughs in the show though, so it probably is the intended effect for that phenomena. There's multiple scenes where people talk about "correction" and everyone rolls their eyes and there's even a scene where Bright tells someone to report to the bridge for "correction" and then starts making slapping motions in the air to warm up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

One step less evil than 'willing to use weapons of mass destruction on civilian targets' is still pretty loving evil.

He barely has any motivation behind "they told me to fight this? I'll go fight that," so I would say he's at least a half flight down for Gundam purposes.

Now someone like Ali from 00, now that guy is loving evil

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 30, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Everyone keep posting images of Zeta smackdowns there is no shortage.

Punch those space gestapo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I liked it when a dude beat Kamille unconscious because he skipped some meeting to play with a Haro

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Everyone keep posting images of Zeta smackdowns there is no shortage.

Punch those space gestapo

The Old Boy anime lookin' good.

MechaX posted:

I liked it when a dude beat Kamille unconscious because he skipped some meeting to play with a Haro

Same, but every part of Zeta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let’s be honest here, Tomino is very, very probably somewhere on the spectrum himself (seriously, reading an interview with him when you know people with Asperger’s or the like feels hauntingly familiar). It’s not surprising that so many of his leads would come across as kind of autistic.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Please tell me somebody has a gif of Kamille throwing Jerid down the mountain.

That's really all I want for Christmas.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Coooooool. I'm, uh, still working on memorizing katakana (mostly done with hiragana!) so, yeah, not an expert in Japanese.

I'm personally going to go with "it's the space future, people can be autistic and no one will comment, it's just part of who they are" which is really progressive and forward-thinking of me, but damnit, I love it. I love the idea that Kamille was diagnosed, and I love that Emma blows up at him for calling himself a child, not mentioning something he has. Having Autism/Aspergers explains someone's actions, it doesn't excuse them.

I wish Tomino had explored it more, but also, well, 1985. I'm shocked he even threw that one word in there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I won’t speak about him possibly being on the spectrum or whatever (The only person saying that about the man himself should probably be a medical professional) but Tomino made G-Reco expecting that people would come away from it hating space elevators, and that kind of strange sentiment makes Tomino endlessly frustrating and interesting as an auteur to me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tomino's so genuinely creative and cool it's surprising that he got into making anime instead of writing more novels or what have you. It's just so... man. What an artist.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

the glasses fly off Quattro's face right onto Kamille's

NikkolasKing posted:

Please tell me somebody has a gif of Kamille throwing Jerid down the mountain.

That's really all I want for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrejlT4_9w

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tomino's so genuinely creative and cool it's surprising that he got into making anime instead of writing more novels or what have you. It's just so... man. What an artist.

He did write quite a few novels, like Hathaway's Flash and Gaia Gear.

Now, I haven't read Gaia Gear and only watched the subbed Radio Drama on youtube, but Gaia Gear is loving great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

He did write quite a few novels, like Hathaway's Flash and Gaia Gear.

Now, I haven't read Gaia Gear and only watched the subbed Radio Drama on youtube, but Gaia Gear is loving great.

Ooh, more incentive to keep memorizing these katakana and move onto the kanji!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This is one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg14-pbuQoA

But if you want all the punches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9aXIMyFao

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I would like to point out here that Jerid tried to beat Kamille with his cane so it was self defense

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
poo poo you guys, we've gotta redo all our Tallgeese charts. There's a new Tallgeese. Tallgeese II with a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm enjoying Unicorn more now than I remember enjoying it in 2014. I just got done with Episode 4 so when I finish it later it will be all new content for me. In the meantime, had a few questions:

1. What do Minovsky Particles do? They stop nukes right but nobody is supposed to be using nukes anyway. The Federation here in Unicorn Episode 3 disperses the M Particles as a beginning stage of their battle plan and it seems, if I'm remembering the other episode right, it's a constant in every battle. So they must do something important if a Minovsky Particle-filled battlefield is the norm for every battle.

2. Is the doctor from Episode 3 that is looking after Marida and Banagher the same doctor from Zeta? The way he quotes "someone" makes me think he must be referring to an actual character from Zeta or maybe ZZ? He said "somebody" once told him Cyber Newtype research should be allowed because we can't rely on Mother Nature. I don't recall anyone in Zeta saying this, mainly because Cyber Newtypes there were all tortured children. Even Char was against the idea of Cyber Newtypes, at least when he was around the AEUG.

3. People use both Pie and Puru on forums like this but in Unicorn I swear it sounds like they're saying "Poll" or MAYBE "Poe" or something in that ballpark. It's definitely not Pie.

I can't believe I gave up on Unicorn after Episode 4. It's the best episode so far. Great voice-acting, , great music, better writing than the previous eps IMO... Gundam is almost never what one might call subtle but I'm enjoying the characters and drama quite a lot here. Subtlety has no bearing on poignancy in my mind. Although for a character I didn't remember at all, I'm really liking Alberto and want to see if he betrays that evil witch he works for. She's like, the worst person in this whole series I bet. Other than him I like Zinnerman and Ridhe a lot, too. Everyone is pretty cool though. Banagher is even okay. I think I was just sick of Gundam after watching nothing but Gundam for a month or two last time.