Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you ever want to know what a hater looks like, here ya go

depends what matrix you're using. availability of crack? availability of korean bbq?

Vienna, however, is a speed trap nazi compound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am glad I have another thread to gate on DC in.

DC sucks real bad guys.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ladron posted:

depends what matrix you're using. availability of crack? availability of korean bbq?

Vienna, however, is a speed trap nazi compound.

Please.....

As if you can get over the speed limit while sitting in that much traffic. There is a poo poo ton of Korean BBQ, include the best fried chicken chain BonChon.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 29, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I thought BonChon was an American thing, but there are soooo many in the Philippines

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

I am glad I have another thread to gate on DC in.

DC sucks real bad guys.

What is the thread because I might end up moving to DC and want to hate it properly

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

TsarZiedonis posted:

I thought BonChon was an American thing, but there are soooo many in the Philippines

Their logo is a super stylized map of South Korea

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Bonchon is like the most overrated Korean fried chicken ever. Even as far as chains with locations in the states go, places like BBQ Chicken and Vons are way better.

It's certainly not _bad_, but it's completely unremarkable because of how bland and dry it is in comparison with other places.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

canoshiz posted:

It's certainly not _bad_, but it's completely unremarkable because of how bland and dry it is in comparison with other places.

same, but fairfax county

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
DC is Hollywood for ugly people.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol thanks newspaper editorialist from 1981

i dont even live in DC anymore and did not particularly care for it but the unironic defense of Farifax loving County has broken my brain

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
okay calm the poo poo down drat who cares

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BexGu posted:

Please.....

As if you can get over the speed limit while sitting in that much traffic. There is a poo poo ton of Korean BBQ, include the best fried chicken chain BonChon.

Try Cheogajip Chicken in Centreville. A couple places in the same shopping center with good bbq and good legit Korean food, including a really good Korean/Chinese fusion place.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

DC is Hollywood for ugly people.

It has just as many creepy old pervert preying on 20 something college interns.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I grew up near DC in 90s and I whenever we drove into DC I was always looking down alleys expecting to see someone being shot in the head.
The surrounding counties are beautiful and inefficient fake rural sprawl.
That's my DC story, thanks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bonchon is actually better in korea, and used to be a lot better

basically, in the glorious search for margins, all the korean fried chicken places got a fair bit worse. still better than most american places

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

It has just as many creepy old pervert preying on 20 something college interns.

Any given capital is surrounded by concentric rings of crime statistics for soliciting and everything that comes with it.

Pimpin' ain't easy but, no wait it's real easy

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Grand Fromage posted:

E2: Also there's all kinds of bad driving here that's just loving nuts. Like I see at least a few people driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic every single day that I'm outside. Every. Single. Day. The kind of stuff I'd see maybe like once or twice in my entire driving lifetime in the US is a daily occurrence on Chinese roads.

this accident footage that was going around weibo the other day is an insane turn of events

warning: graphic

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
STRIKE!

The footage makes it look like the sheep(?) are floating over the road.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
rip haier

https://twitter.com/wef/status/921805874330587137

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Here is a link to a map that isn’t for ants.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone ignores traffic lights/laws but people on bikes do it the most. They have no physical protection. Many truck drivers are paid by distance traveled, so they are constantly driving at maximum speed and never stop for traffic or red lights or anything else. People are loving idiots, China has gently caress you got mine cranked to 11, everyone is I GO FIRST in all situations, lots of people don't even know how driving works, no one cares about or notices anything other than themselves, no one pays attention to rules, no concept of public behavior or decency...

E: Just look at this poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUHYcnjUKhs

E2: Also there's all kinds of bad driving here that's just loving nuts. Like I see at least a few people driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic every single day that I'm outside. Every. Single. Day. The kind of stuff I'd see maybe like once or twice in my entire driving lifetime in the US is a daily occurrence on Chinese roads.

Somehow Kunming isn't as bad. People drive slow since the traffic here is still about 50/50 cars to mopeds/bikes and most everyone is cautious of the mopeds weaving through traffic. The roads also weren't developed well for how quickly the city has grown, so everyone is sorta forced to drive slow and cut across lanes and dodge buses swinging into traffic and such. I haven't seen a bad accident yet so far this year, personally, but I see a bump or fender-bender every week which causes huge amounts of traffic.

One of the stupidest loving things about this country is that if people have an accident in the road, they simply stay in the middle of the road because GOD FORBID you move off to the shoulder or parking lot, you might lose EVIDENCE of the CRIME OF THE CENTURY of your goddamn Skoda sedan getting its bumper scratched.

All that said if you go out into the mountains out here you might as well let Jesus take the wheel.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

peanut posted:

I grew up near DC in 90s and I whenever we drove into DC I was always looking down alleys expecting to see someone being shot in the head.

I grew up in DC in the 70s and 80s and this was a very real possibility, especially once crack came on the scene

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what's going on in the Congo that messes with air quality? i thought it was mostly resource extraction there, not the sort of refinement that generates lots of pollution

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think it's more that they won't move to deliberately continue being as big a disruption to traffic as possible, to ensure the police turn up at all, because nothing gets done if you're not a pain in somebody's arse

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Amergin posted:

All that said if you go out into the mountains out here you might as well let Jesus take the wheel.

I've never been more scared of mountain death than going on a bus in guilin.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what's going on in the Congo that messes with air quality? i thought it was mostly resource extraction there, not the sort of refinement that generates lots of pollution

I'unno, resource extraction could be pretty polluting. Could also be it's a dumping ground.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

My guess is setting fires to clear rainforest.

It radiates out from a relatively small area so whatever it is must be on a massive scale, and I know in SEA there is purposeful burning of woodland that upsets that country's neighbours for several months a year (can anyone remind me which countries?)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Indonesia pissing off the Malays.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplefish posted:

My guess is setting fires to clear rainforest.

It radiates out from a relatively small area so whatever it is must be on a massive scale, and I know in SEA there is purposeful burning of woodland that upsets that country's neighbours for several months a year (can anyone remind me which countries?)

It’s Indonesia and it upsets every seafaring nation on the planet because the smoke drifts over the Strait of Malacca.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Cheers guys

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

Amergin posted:

One of the stupidest loving things about this country is that if people have an accident in the road, they simply stay in the middle of the road because GOD FORBID you move off to the shoulder or parking lot, you might lose EVIDENCE of the CRIME OF THE CENTURY of your goddamn Skoda sedan getting its bumper scratched.

There's a legitimate (stupid) reason for this. It's the police that determine fault in the case of an accident (not the insurance companies). If you move your car it is classed as leaving the scene and destroying evidence, so you are found at fault by default.

Of course this conflicts with what the driving test says, which says you should not cause an obstruction otherwise you can be fined.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

My favorite thing about china-driving is that the reaction to anything unexpected on the road is "slam on the accelerator and sharply crank the wheel", leading to those sexy loving videos where cars are upside down or hanging in trees

Oh how about that I have a compilation right here! What are the odds!

https://my.mixtape.moe/ffkrxp.mp4

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

What is the thread because I might end up moving to DC and want to hate it properly

I don't know how to link a thread on my phone, but its in LAN and should be on the first page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
More goodness from the schadenfreude thread:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LentThem posted:

My favorite thing about china-driving is that the reaction to anything unexpected on the road is "slam on the accelerator and sharply crank the wheel", leading to those sexy loving videos where cars are upside down or hanging in trees

Apparently the song says that even if you don’t have wings, you can still fly...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

LentThem posted:

This is art

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Question: Where did China get the technology for the Subway SW26010 chips from? And is it used for anything else than crushing the LINPACK benchmark?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

holy gently caress lol

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How in the poo poo? Its like Superman decided to Man of Steel random Chinese cars for lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I want to believe these people are not so much bad drivers as they are confused about reality not being a GTA game, and very enthusiastic about finding all the secret areas.

• Locked thread