Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fangz posted:

There will always be dumb kids.

*thinks of the characters from All Quiet On The Western Front and their modern counterparts, gets sad :smith:*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally finished watching Ken Burns' The Vietnam War, it's really good, albeit basically a retelling of the already popular narrative about the war along with a few talking heads from Vietnamese on both sides.

The biggest problem I think is in his refusal to get political, which means hewing extremely close to the American Cold Warrior narrative. Despite discussing the duplicitous nature of American president's presentation of the war, they never actually have the narrator state that multiple presidents found it easier to sacrifice American soldiers on a war they did not think could be won, instead of taking the political hit from withdrawing. My Lai saw the killing of civilians, not their murder. America wasn't defeated, they simply failed.

The inclusion of Vietnamese viewpoints is nice, but there's still an almost complete absence of anyone from the ARVN, and basically no time spent on the South Vietnamese government and why it failed. They bring up Strategic Hamlets, but never mention the fact that the guy running it was an undercover communist that deliberately mismanaged the program.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PittTheElder posted:

They bring up Strategic Hamlets, but never mention the fact that the guy running it was an undercover communist that deliberately mismanaged the program.

lmao w-hat

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

my dad posted:

Huh. Been a while since I saw a Hitmen for Destiny avatar. Is Trixie Slaughterhouse for President still ongoing?

Trixie SlaughterAXE for President is very much ongoing. The main characters are currently being held prisoner by some weird purple cave tribe. Lyndon has created an illusion of the tribe's princess and is having the illusion issue orders to keep them alive. Unfortunately, he's fallen in love with Audrey and his thoughts keep becoming distracted, causing the princess illusion to transform into a naked Audrey at particularly inconvenient moments. Trixie has just had to dump a bowl of soup over the Crown Prince's head to distract him from this, blaming her actions on "arm spasms".

The story is also now up to three dead vice-presidents: one who was accidentally dismembered by Audrey, one who was beaten to death by a well intentioned giant spider and one who was obliterated by a Slurping Horror, in a piece of political theatre gone disastrously wrong.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah. So just the usual Thorsby-isms. I'll have to catch up on it one of these days.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phạm_Ng&%237885;c_Th&%237843;o

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if the germans are german, i think it should please us all that the french remain french

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Ehh yes and no, given that a bunch of current young jihadists are the children of the guy you just described and are rebelling against their parents and also the racism they experience despite integrating by seeking a (bullshit, obvs) 'authentic Islamic identity' with the likes of ISIS. It's complicated. This also applies in countries like the UK that have had Muslim immigrants for decades and are cool with dual citizenship, btw.

And the Red Army Faction came from nice middle class backgrounds. A tiny percentage of people will always go off the rails, and this applys equally to the children of immigrants.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deptfordx posted:

And the Red Army Faction came from nice middle class backgrounds. A tiny percentage of people will always go off the rails, and this applys equally to the children of immigrants.
I'm convinced that our incel spree shooters would be their ISIS. There's something around the eyes that's really similar.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GUNS posted:

if the germans are german, i think it should please us all that the french remain french

Having flashbacks of the fact Frederick William hated the French so much he'd execute people in French uniforms and clothes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

I'm convinced that our incel spree shooters would be their ISIS. There's something around the eyes that's really similar.

They seek a cause to redeem their soiled lives for

I don't think it's too controversial that all fanatics/ideologies have similar psychology - Nazis found that ardent communists were some of their most willing converts

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't think it's too controversial that all fanatics/ideologies have similar psychology - Nazis found that ardent communists were some of their most willing converts

Could you provide an example or case study of this? I believe you, but it slots into my pre-existing worldview a bit too patly.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jso1YRQnpCI

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HEY GUNS posted:

There's a reason why ISIS and other such groups take women to be sex slaves.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

i'm getting drunk and listening to odd woodwinds that go WHONG, and i strongly recommend you do the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPB76pmWss

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bobby Digital posted:

That was a really good read

Thank you. It also reminds me of the opening chapters of Candide--a small human being stuck in a massive horror that he can't escape from and which is somehow also funny to him

I'm wondering now if the style of those books has less to do with the conventions of the picaresque and more to do with what it feels like to be uprooted and threatened by war

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Davin Valkri posted:

Could you provide an example or case study of this? I believe you, but it slots into my pre-existing worldview a bit too patly.

Unfortunately I can't; I read The True Believer as an undergrad and it just stuck with me

How evangelical Christians and Conservative Muslims would be best buds as they believe all the same things?

(except how the other is literally satan, obv)

People I know personally that have just surfed from one -ism to another; the skirts change, but it's still all about the one objectively true way to see the world :v:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 29, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

i'm getting drunk and listening to odd woodwinds that go WHONG, and i strongly recommend you do the same

Is the recorder-ist on the far left out of tune or off beat or something

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Unfortunately I can't; I read The True Believer as an undergrad and it just stuck with me

How evangelical Christians and Conservative Muslims would be best buds as they believe all the same things?

(except how the other is literally satan, obv)

People I know personally that have just surfed from one -ism to another; the skirts change, but it's still all about the one objectively true way to see the world :v:
a dude from the daily stormer has said out loud that what he wants is "white sharia"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is the recorder-ist on the far left out of tune or off beat or something
it's supposed to sound like that

WHONG

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 29th Oct 1917 posted:

The battalion was relieved by a composite battalion of 10th Yorks & Lancs and 4th Middlesex and moved by motor busses to the MOOLENACKER area near HAZEBROUCK arriving about 2pm.
The Companies are billeted in barns and Battalion H.Q. in STRAZEELE. The billets are very scattered.

This was a move into reserve or 'rest', rather than being closer to the front line and providing working parties for road building, salvaging and trench building/maintenance, etc. as they were before. Strazeele is about 23km SW of Ypres and a similar distance North of Bethune. Moolenacker doesn't appear on google maps and I've not figured out where it was yet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Clarence posted:

This was a move into reserve or 'rest', rather than being closer to the front line and providing working parties for road building, salvaging and trench building/maintenance, etc. as they were before. Strazeele is about 23km SW of Ypres and a similar distance North of Bethune. Moolenacker doesn't appear on google maps and I've not figured out where it was yet.

A quick google of "moolenacker ypres" turns up a bunch of references to Winston Churchill doing some poo poo in that area in 1916. It's alternatively referenced as a farm or a very small village, so probably a very small clutch of buildings and a couple of families. Fast glances just show a lot of references to it being "in front of Ypres" so probably an outlying town or crossroads or farm or whatever associated with it. My guess would be that everyone there gtfo during the war and never came back.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 30, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fangz posted:

There will always be dumb kids.

I liked this article on one Danish towns response to young IS recruits. Their psychology appears very similar to any other youth counter-culture. It's just they get recruited to wage jihad instead of race supped-up motorcycles or sell smack.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/15/485900076/how-a-danish-town-helped-young-muslims-turn-away-from-isis

quote:

Link and Aarslev are crime prevention officers. They usually deal with locals who are drawn to right-wing extremism, or gangs. The landscape of global terrorism was completely new to them. But they decided to take it on. And once they did, they wound up creating an unusual — and unusually successful — approach to combating radicalization.

The rest of Europe came down hard on citizens who had traveled to Syria. France shut down mosques it suspected of harboring radicals. The U.K. declared citizens who had gone to help ISIS enemies of the state. Several countries threatened to take away their passports — a move formerly reserved for convicted traitors.

But the Danish police officers took a different approach: They made it clear to citizens of Denmark who had traveled to Syria that they were welcome to come home, and that when they did, they would receive help with going back to school, finding an apartment, meeting with a psychiatrist or a mentor, or whatever they needed to fully integrate back into society.

Their program came to be known as the "Aarhus model." It's been called the "hug a terrorist" model in the media, but this description never sits well with the cops. They see themselves as making an entirely practical decision designed to keep their city safe.

As they see it, coming down hard on young, radicalized Muslims will only make them angrier and more of a danger to society. Helping them is the only chance to keep an eye on them and also to keep the peace in their town.

It's kind of hard to stomach- this sort of policy can allow war criminals to slink back into ordinary lives. Yet think on the alternative, hounding them to the ends of the earth. How many more avoidable deaths will occur in the process of destroying them? It is unfortunate that in the real world we are often forced to choose between justice and peace, and claiming one must mean sacrificing the other.

The kids as described in this article are pathetically normal. Their decision to join IS is highly compulsive, and reminds me very much of the opening scene in All Quiet on the Western Front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxitujxRS-s

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
There was an article, I think it was in WaPo, about some FBI guy who thought that basically the same kinds of people get radicalized or join criminal gangs. Sometimes the same exact people. Can't find it now though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GUNS posted:

There was an article, I think it was in WaPo, about some FBI guy who thought that basically the same kinds of people get radicalized or join criminal gangs. Sometimes the same exact people. Can't find it now though.

http://icsr.info/

The publications section here is a good place to follow.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

HEY GUNS posted:

Rereading the Stephen Attebrook historical mysteries and this is a good background track for em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pEdfwqPFns
ROCKS OUT WITH YER POX OUT :black101:

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 30, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's worth noting that the Danish police 'exit groups' also target kids who get into street level anti-racism or supporting the YPJ( designated, still, as a terror org by our government), so take the heroic framing with a grain of salt.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

A quick google of "moolenacker ypres" turns up a bunch of references to Winston Churchill doing some poo poo in that area in 1916. It's alternatively referenced as a farm or a very small village, so probably a very small clutch of buildings and a couple of families. Fast glances just show a lot of references to it being "in front of Ypres" so probably an outlying town or crossroads or farm or whatever associated with it. My guess would be that everyone there gtfo during the war and never came back.

Lots of places have different (or at least differently spelled) names now. Ypres is Ieper, for example. I found an aerial photo captioned "Trenches near Moolenacker, west of Meteren" but didn't manage to match it to the modern map. Somewhere between Meteren and Hazebrouck is as close as I'll get. And guess what, Strazeele with battalion HQ is right in the middle of those two places. Plus all the billets being widely scattered, of course - probably in all the farms in the area.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Squalid posted:

It's kind of hard to stomach- this sort of policy can allow war criminals to slink back into ordinary lives. Yet think on the alternative, hounding them to the ends of the earth. How many more avoidable deaths will occur in the process of destroying them? It is unfortunate that in the real world we are often forced to choose between justice and peace, and claiming one must mean sacrificing the other.

Well, you have Liberia and South Africa as examples of where reconciliation is seen as a preferable to endless vengeance. Like, general Butt Naked has done terrible things, including eating the flesh of sacrifices. Now, he's a pastor employing former soldiers. Do you believe that he actually repents (he claims, at least in the Vice documentary, that Mary and Jesus appeared to him) and does good, or do you think that he still should be punished?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wonder if jihadist kids run tumblrs like the nazi kids do.

I found a neat pic of a St. George statue today, and went into the notes to see if there were any good history blogs to follow. Found a bunch of people into black and white photography and Hugo Boss instead.

Edit: Check out this armour detail tho:

From the Met

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's supposed to be a 'dragon'?

That's a dog, George. You killed a dog.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Dog's name was Dragon.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

That's supposed to be a 'dragon'?

That's a dog, George. You killed a dog.

It got bigger with each retelling.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

no

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so my boss comes in with a huge box and says "FREE STUFF". I'm assuming its old socks or something. But, it was books. a bunch of history books.

long story short I now own first editions of all 3 of shelby foote's trilogy which are surprisingly valuable. i'm debating whether or not i should tell him this.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I just got A Bright Shining Lie from the library. Anything I should be keeping in mind while I go through it? Is it considered mostly reliable and trustworthy, or are there big blind spots I should be watching for?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bewbies posted:

so my boss comes in with a huge box and says "FREE STUFF". I'm assuming its old socks or something. But, it was books. a bunch of history books.

long story short I now own first editions of all 3 of shelby foote's trilogy which are surprisingly valuable. i'm debating whether or not i should tell him this.

You're not kidding, man. I just looked it up and a set of the first edition hardcovers are going for a thousand bucks

edit:
A family friend collects rare books. He has a lot of really cool stuff, but my favorite is his copy of Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations. It was owned by Heinrich Marx, father of Karl Marx. Marx said that by the time he was an adult, he had read through every single book in his father's library. So, it's likely that his copy of Wealth of Nations was read by Karl Marx.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 30, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I just got A Bright Shining Lie from the library. Anything I should be keeping in mind while I go through it? Is it considered mostly reliable and trustworthy, or are there big blind spots I should be watching for?
Mostly keep in mind that it's through-narrative is as a biography of John Paul Vann, so it has a very particular perspective. My impression of it was that it was reliable and clear-sighted in the content it covered, but the basic framing meant it was far from comprehensive as a history.

The big argument for it is that it covers the war and American involvement in it in microcosm, and in some ways that are more illuminating than a more exhaustive history would. It's worth reading but it's a narrow slice, and you'll need to look elsewhere to really flesh out the context.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 30, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

It's hilarious, you wet blanket.

I'm such a loving nerd, I instantly not only recognised the armies of those uniforms but the ethnicity of the soldiers that'd wear them. Shame it only shows the top half because the Hungarian breeches are hella styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's hilarious, you wet blanket.
not even unrealistic