Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

How many heavy bolters do I need to clear a horde of 10 years of backlog.

Trick question. You can never paint ALL of the Hormagaunts.

Just duck down behind your cupola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ilor posted:

Let the grog tears FLOOOOOOW!

Let the grog tears hit the floor
Let the grog tears hit the floor
Let the grog tears hit the *gasp* :byodood: FLOOOOOOOR!!!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Ladies and germs, I have terrible news to announce: I am a bad ham dad, a shameful father of tiny space dollies. I painted one of those goofy 3rd party models on commission, the sale fell through. The client was a dum dum.

Then, the model fell through. Onto the floor.

:rip:

But, wait, there's more! I will send this model to you, at no charge, if you are a Tzeentch Gurl or Tzeentch Boi, if you're okay with repairing the broken sword (the sword bit is fukken lost, I checked all over... it's in the same dimension as missing socks, and repairing it is going to suck hard... for you).

No charge, no bullshit. I'll ship to any place in the continental United States, since this model weighs nothing it will cost like $1.50, who gives a poo poo. But, I am a stupendous idiot that is always suffering from severe fatigue. I work hard, no big deal. But, you must quote this reply really hard or send me a PM if you have Plat or whatever stupid thing it's called.

I offered some free Warhammer books last year, one user got what he asked for while one user got hosed because I completely dropped the ball (I don't get notifications when someone sends me a PM, I haaate that). Don't #StupidShame me, I try my best, I mean well! I was 50/50 on giving away free, obsolete codex/supplements (if you're very brave, ask for what I have left, I will send those for free, too, but I'm not making that a priority right now).

This is not a prank, I am sincere. I am unbelievably dumb, though, so, bear with me.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If you thought being tied up in Gants was bad, having them now being able to mortal wound on the charge is going to make them kind of nuts.

Like, on average, 30 Behemoth gants crashing into your army is now going to bleed off 5 wounds no questions asked. That's before they even start swinging. Its beautiful.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The Bee posted:

If you thought being tied up in Gants was bad, having them now being able to mortal wound on the charge is going to make them kind of nuts.

Like, on average, 30 Behemoth gants crashing into your army is now going to bleed off 5 wounds no questions asked. That's before they even start swinging. Its beautiful.

And keep in mind those same behemoth bugs are rerolling their charge distance.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Having actually played a couple of games of 8th now, I have babby's first tactical question:

What do you do with transports after they have transported?

I keep ending up with a couple rhinos that aren't doing much. Use them to block LoS on stuff? I've been sending them to die in combat to tie a unit up for a couple turns, though have yet to successfully explode one. I feel like there's probably something more useful to do with them.

Am I taking too many transports? I've been putting basically every squad in a transport and deploying only tanks (unless I have Celestine), which is fun, but maybe I'm wasting points.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Giant Isopod posted:

Having actually played a couple of games of 8th now, I have babby's first tactical question:

What do you do with transports after they have transported?

I keep ending up with a couple rhinos that aren't doing much. Use them to block LoS on stuff? I've been sending them to die in combat to tie a unit up for a couple turns, though have yet to successfully explode one. I feel like there's probably something more useful to do with them.

Am I taking too many transports? I've been putting basically every squad in a transport and deploying only tanks (unless I have Celestine), which is fun, but maybe I'm wasting points.

Charge them into stuff to eat the Overwatch, block LOS, take potshots with stormbolters. Usually EVERY squad in rhinos is too much, but mechanized isn't a bad choice overall.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm pretty pumped for a Behemoth Horma / Fex swarm. Especially now that OOE can now hide among a group of regular fexes that have -1 to hit built in.

Also pretty keen to try out a Tyranid gunline for once. Rupture cannons are basically a 6-shot super lascannon now, Venom cannons got a nice buff, and there's a bunch of useful traits & stratagems to help shooting.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone in need of a box of Kastelan Robots & Sicarian Infiltrators? I need a Razorback & a Leviathan Dreadnought.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ijyt posted:

How many heavy bolters do I need to clear a horde of 25 years of backlog.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Anyone in need of a box of Kastelan Robots & Sicarian Infiltrators? I need a Razorback & a Leviathan Dreadnought.

I definitely am. I'll PM you.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Still to lazy to paint my own terrain for a table at the moment, especially since I need to make a new display for Adepticon.

Has anyone bought the pre-painted terrain or gamemats from gamemat.eu? Are they any good? Are the mats the same quality as the Frontline Gaming Fatmats?

Basically looking for quick ways to get a good quality terrain setup. Money is less of a factor for me at the moment than time.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Still to lazy to paint my own terrain for a table at the moment, especially since I need to make a new display for Adepticon.

Has anyone bought the pre-painted terrain or gamemats from gamemat.eu? Are they any good? Are the mats the same quality as the Frontline Gaming Fatmats?

Basically looking for quick ways to get a good quality terrain setup. Money is less of a factor for me at the moment than time.

Tabletop tactics use the mats and some of the terrain from them. It seems to look good on their show.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
What do you guys think of the hive fleets so far, based on leaked data? I feel like Behemoth and Hydra are going to be favorites, but Leviathan seems all around reliable and the gunline options Kronos and Jormundagr present are very interesting.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JoshTheStampede posted:

Charge them into stuff to eat the Overwatch, block LOS, take potshots with stormbolters. Usually EVERY squad in rhinos is too much, but mechanized isn't a bad choice overall.

I hadn't thought of the overwatch thing, probably because I have exactly zero units I ever want in melee, but that makes a lot of sense. Guess it's a good reason as any to finish the penitent engine that is currently a jumbled heap of metal that defies all gluing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Lmao that is not a backlog :allears:

Hamshot posted:

Your 35 models are NOTHING to me. I was born in the backlog, you merely adopted it. I sit upon my throne of shrink-wrapped boxes, look down upon your measly 35 infantry and find you wanting.

Actually it's in the range of 150-160 models going by the excel sheet I've got. :v:
Plus a couple of plastic kits I've never gotten around building.
Probably in the range of 200+ when I consider I need to base my entire IG army as well. Aside from some other stuff I have left gathering dust in a box.

Also gently caress you it is. t:mad:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Never forget, the hobby is buying.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
All I know is I can't wait to drop in a unit of 30 devourers and fire 180 shots.

Exocrines rerolling 1s to hit and doing 3 damage each sounds nasty.

And hive tyrants may be pretty good again. Depends on points. But rending claws with devourers would be a nice combo.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
When a wargamer dies, they are forced to walk the earth carrying all of their unpainted plastic and metal like Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol, forced to witness the armies that might have been...

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bee posted:

What do you guys think of the hive fleets so far, based on leaked data? I feel like Behemoth and Hydra are going to be favorites, but Leviathan seems all around reliable and the gunline options Kronos and Jormundagr present are very interesting.

Behemoth and Hydra are good bread and butter Nid stuff, the applications are obvious and make Nids better at things they already did well. Similarly Gorgon - whether you take Gorgon or Hydra depends on what your mix of little bugs to big bugs is, but they both have straightforward applications.

Kronos is identical to Cadian for an army which doesn't have the same shooting options as Cadian, but it depends very much on what the new Nid shooting looks like. If there's realistic options for sit and shoot Nid armies then it'll be popular.

Assuming xtothez is right about Leviathan then it sucks just like the Salamander one sucks, it's easily replicated elsewhere. Equally Kraken and Jormungandr are poor. Kraken's fall back and charge seems like it'll be clutch 1 game in 10 and pointless the other 9, and Jormungandr plays directly against the things that make Nids strong. I can see it having a purpose if you're doing a big bug gunline and having it function like a slightly worse Shroudpsalm, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

So of the 7 I guess I'd rank them:

Behemoth=Kronos
Gorgon=Hydra
Jormungandr=Leviathan
Kraken

The top 4 are dependent on whether shooting is viable and on whether there's a balance between big and little bugs or if one predominates. If Nid shooting sucks then Kronos comes down and if big bugs are bad then Gorgon comes down. Jormungandr and Leviathan are about the same, then Kraken is the worst because most niche.

First Nid preview is up also: https://www.warhammer-community.com...omepage-post-2/

The changes to Shadow/Synapse/IB all look good. Extended ranges makes life a lot easier, and you have better flexibility for out of synapse stuff.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 30, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My backlog feels bigger than it actually is, probably because I have 2 knights and 2 blackstars waiting to get painted.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com...omepage-post-2/

GW Community page confirms the leaked stuff plus more:

Synapse is 12" standard (still ignores morale)
Shadow in the Warp is 18" range
Instinctive Behaviour is now only over 24" from a synapse creature.

The Bee posted:

I'm really curious to see how the Hydra trait is worded, as I can't see it being used as-is. Single monsters will never outnumber an enemy unit and Shrikes are gone, leaving pretty much just Hormas, 'stealers, raveners and warriors to use it in practice.

Jormungandr will be really interesting for monster-heavy builds who struggled to get cover before. Tervigons will be harder to dig out, as will backfield Exocrines, Tyrannofexes and Hive Guard.

Leviathan is probably also gonna be great for elite combat monsters like Flyrants and Haruspex.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Why resist? I'm going to get an Escher box and use them as Catachans for my Guard.
Same here. Have converted a few from the original metal models, and confirm they look great. In the past I used some greenstuff to bulk out their pants/boots and painted over any exposed midriffs with liquid greenstuff - the men don't have belly shirts, so why should the women? I can post photos if you're interested in seeing how they came out.

If I can get my hands on a few additional sets of Catachan legs, I may just cut the new Eschers in half and glue them on from the waist up. Not having to work in metal is a very exciting prospect!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Purple and blue as a homage to the OG-enestealers yay or nay?

Apologies for the lovely daylight savings picture. Also it's a 2 (from the number 21) on the shoulder not a swastika.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Jormundagr is pretty bad for the usual melee swarm, but for big monolithic gunlines it seems like a good defensive alternative.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

The gamemat.eu stuff is great. I have the pre-painted gothic ruins stuff and I love it. Very sturdy, good paintjob, has footprints to make area cover easy to rule on. The mats are great too and come in a nice case for transport, I got the one with the cool chaos symbol in the middle and I like it.

I bought a ping pong table used for 50 bucks and then a mat and all their gothic stuff, with shipping it all came out less than a single realm of battle board from GW.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm hunting for some suitable lances to bash up some Shining Spears. I probably have enough yari and other bits but I'd like to find something nicer. Hoard-o-bits and Hobby Titan are both empty and ebay/krolmech isn't helping. Anybody have any other sources?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

richyp posted:

Apologies for the lovely daylight savings picture. Also it's a 2 (from the number 21) on the shoulder not a swastika.

yay, for sure

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I’m real glad that I’m only just now starting with Nids, because these updates to Synapse and Instinctive Behavior (particularly the latter) are pretty game-changing in terms of how much Synapse I need to put out there as opposed to just giant loving monsters.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

richyp posted:

Extreme yay - was always surprised we don't see more Cultists like this. It's close to the converted commission I did years ago, using Tyranid rules.

Keep posting more! I've also always wanted to see a full Tyranid army painted in the classic Stealer scheme... any plan for allies?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I love those eyes. Stealing that. Gonna put it in my Gene pocket.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

bonds0097 posted:

The gamemat.eu stuff is great. I have the pre-painted gothic ruins stuff and I love it. Very sturdy, good paintjob, has footprints to make area cover easy to rule on. The mats are great too and come in a nice case for transport, I got the one with the cool chaos symbol in the middle and I like it.

I bought a ping pong table used for 50 bucks and then a mat and all their gothic stuff, with shipping it all came out less than a single realm of battle board from GW.

Are the gamemats they still made of the same mousepad like material? Also, would you recommend a single or two sets of those ruins to adequately fill the table? Or maybe a combination of the ruins and the industrial sets?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

richyp posted:

It's good, but personally I'd change the purple to orange.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

I’m real glad that I’m only just now starting with Nids, because these updates to Synapse and Instinctive Behavior (particularly the latter) are pretty game-changing in terms of how much Synapse I need to put out there as opposed to just giant loving monsters.

I've always loved Nidzilla on the table just for aesthetics and I think it's going to be back in the new book in a good way. Malanthropes are even better with the new rules given the enhanced ranges of Synpase and SITW, so I expect two or three on the table babysitting big loving guns and huge broods of Carnifexes are the way of the future.

Not sure of the chapter tactics though, depends on if the Carnifex -1 to hit stacks with the Malanthrope or Chapter Tactic for cover.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TKIY posted:

I've always loved Nidzilla on the table just for aesthetics and I think it's going to be back in the new book in a good way. Malanthropes are even better with the new rules given the enhanced ranges of Synpase and SITW, so I expect two or three on the table babysitting big loving guns and huge broods of Carnifexes are the way of the future.

Not sure of the chapter tactics though, depends on if the Carnifex -1 to hit stacks with the Malanthrope or Chapter Tactic for cover.

It will stack with cover (becuase they are completely different things) and not stack with Malan/Venomthrope spores.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DiHK posted:

I'm hunting for some suitable lances to bash up some Shining Spears. I probably have enough yari and other bits but I'd like to find something nicer. Hoard-o-bits and Hobby Titan are both empty and ebay/krolmech isn't helping. Anybody have any other sources?

I used lances from the whfb dark elf cold one knights. Looking now, I see they are sold as Drakespawn Knights from AoS. Shaved down a few spiky bits but look very good imo. This leads me to believe the other fantasy elf cavalry may have decent bits. Can't remember quite what bits vendor I used, sorry, but it was probably hoard of bits anyway.

Is anyone (preferably UK based) interested in buying a couple Forgeworld Nightwing Interceptors (i.e. Eldar flyers) off me? Great models but I'm trying to downsize some bits of my mostly unpainted eldar so I can finish the rest.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BuffaloChicken posted:

Extreme yay - was always surprised we don't see more Cultists like this. It's close to the converted commission I did years ago, using Tyranid rules.

Keep posting more! I've also always wanted to see a full Tyranid army painted in the classic Stealer scheme... any plan for allies?

I remember those awesome guys from back in the day (v1 or v2 of the megathread I think) :)

Only plan on a couple of units just for fun at the moment, as I've not really painted much 40k stuff since I grabbed AoS. After these guys I'll do the Shadespire warbands then come back and maybe do some allied Nids.

I only planned on doing the basecoat layers a couple of hours ago and got a bit carried away with the layers, his buddies got stuck at the skin+wash and some colour stage.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's good, but personally I'd change the purple to orange.

Funnily enough if you look carefully at the 2nd guy along, his purple looks pretty thick because it's painted over the orange I tried first. It looked good but I really wanted purple in their too and it was too much so I figured I'd bring the orange/yellow in via the bases, lights and the Genestealer Icons instead.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Karl Rove posted:

When a wargamer dies, they are forced to walk the earth carrying all of their unpainted plastic and metal like Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol, forced to witness the armies that might have been...

The move to plastic from metal has been a miracle.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DiHK posted:

I just chopped up spare pulse lasers and bright lances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

richyp posted:

I remember those awesome guys from back in the day (v1 or v2 of the megathread I think) :)

Only plan on a couple of units just for fun at the moment, as I've not really painted much 40k stuff since I grabbed AoS. After these guys I'll do the Shadespire warbands then come back and maybe do some allied Nids.

I only planned on doing the basecoat layers a couple of hours ago and got a bit carried away with the layers, his buddies got stuck at the skin+wash and some colour stage.

Funnily enough if you look carefully at the 2nd guy along, his purple looks pretty thick because it's painted over the orange I tried first. It looked good but I really wanted purple in their too and it was too much so I figured I'd bring the orange/yellow in via the bases, lights and the Genestealer Icons instead.

Fair enough. I just love the look of orange PPE on them. I really need to get around to finishing my squad some time.