Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That upward throw at the end is loving sick.

Considering it takes me like 10 tries just to get the upward hat throw to work correctly, yea it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larrymer posted:

walk inside the castle and look up at the ceiling like you had to in sm64 to get into the winged hat level.

poo poo, I knew I should've tried this :stare:.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I feel like I will never be able to do those advanced moves. I just can't get the hang of motion controls.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Definitely could've been fewer moons. They generally do a good job of putting them behind some kind of platforming challenge or little minigame, but there are still a lot of moons that are just total freebies.

Also, I really wish wearing the N64 costume would change the musical riff for getting a moon to the 64 music game-wide instead of just having it for Mushroom Kingdom.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I have no qualms with the freebies. It let the Lady cruise around racking stuff up and then I could step in when her frustration peaked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neddy Seagoon posted:

poo poo, I knew I should've tried this :stare:.
I stood there and was just like "I know I have to look up but I honestly have no idea if I can get into first person camera"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

so it turns out there is a point to buying moons

If you max out the moon counter to 999 by buying moons, you get a secret ending where Peach's castle now has a top hat on it. If you climb to the top and throw Cappy onto the point of the hat, it plays a special animation.
That sounds fake as heck, also some Japanese guy has 12000 moons so I don't think it maxes out ever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nah everyone knows that you have to get to 999999 moons and then you can play as Luigi.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

PantsBandit posted:

Nah everyone knows that you have to get to 9999 moons and then you can play as Luigi.

That's obviously what happens at 2401 moons. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cobalt Viper posted:

That sounds fake as heck, also some Japanese guy has 12000 moons so I don't think it maxes out ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwSOE5B4bw

it's real

I shouldn't have said it maxes out, but that's what happens when you have 999.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I like the abundance of moons. It means that I'm still finding them at a good pace post game which makes me look even more forward to revisiting all of the worlds. If I was already at the point of having to check every nook and cranny for a few elusive moons, (or scanning amiibo over and over) I'd probably just get bored.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Fortis posted:

That's obviously what happens at 2401 moons. :colbert:

I know this is silly bullshit but I'd still freak the absolute gently caress out if that happened

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

I know this is silly bullshit but I'd still freak the absolute gently caress out if that happened

It's not silly, it's real. It was pretty loud on the playground when my friend told me but he's not a liar.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Mario Odyssey has created probably one of the most memorable gaming moments of my life to date - Mario fighting a dragon while dressed as a clown.

10/10.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GI_Clutch posted:

I like the abundance of moons. It means that I'm still finding them at a good pace post game which makes me look even more forward to revisiting all of the worlds. If I was already at the point of having to check every nook and cranny for a few elusive moons, (or scanning amiibo over and over) I'd probably just get bored.

I agree. The abundance of moons in the game has felt perfect for me. Not so much that you constantly trip over them but not so few that you lose interest when you go looking for them.

Also I think the high availability of moons combined with the relatively low number needed to progress through each area was perfect.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 30, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

How do you get the sequence where you're chased by a trex on the scooter?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

How do you get the sequence where you're chased by a trex on the scooter?

It starts at a pipe inside one of the buildings in New Donk city.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

It's not silly, it's real. It was pretty loud on the playground when my friend told me but he's not a liar.

I feel like if there were ever a really obvious DLC for them to renew interest in 4-6 months it'd be this

Like it almost seems too obvious but I'd have zero problem paying $12 to add Luigi and like a haunted mansion kingdom

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Zore posted:

It starts at a pipe inside one of the buildings in New Donk city.

Haha I loved that. At first I was like "uhh why is the camera all hosed up" and then "holy poo poo that's why"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's no way to lock the camera in a position, is there? I'm not incredibly skilled with the camera just yet, and I find myself constantly slamming the button to Behind Mario because it'll make a jump or movement easier.

I'm in love with this game, though. It's a prettier Mario 64.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just finished seaside kingdom and boy howdy that octopus boss fight was pretty poo poo imo. the camera just did not agree with me at all and it made hitting the guy an ordeal and a half

it's like the only part of the game that's made me go "actually that's bad" otherwise this game is incredible

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Larrymer posted:

walk inside the castle and look up at the ceiling like you had to in sm64 to get into the winged hat level.

How? I spent a minute or two trying to see the ceiling myself since I figured they'd do something like that, but I couldn't move the camera enough so I figured they just didn't.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I switched over to the pro controller for the post game and it feels really good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Argue posted:

How? I spent a minute or two trying to see the ceiling myself since I figured they'd do something like that, but I couldn't move the camera enough so I figured they just didn't.

Push in the right stick to go into first person and do it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Kaubocks posted:

i just finished seaside kingdom and boy howdy that octopus boss fight was pretty poo poo imo. the camera just did not agree with me at all and it made hitting the guy an ordeal and a half

it's like the only part of the game that's made me go "actually that's bad" otherwise this game is incredible

So what you're saying is that they were faithfully replicating the Super Mario Sunshine boss fight experience.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Argue posted:

Click in the right stick.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Mushroom Kingdom. inside that one portrait in the Luncheon Kingdom!!! it looks exactly like it did in 64!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't get the hang of these RC Car controls at all. I can't get the one timer challenge for the star to save my life.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can't get the hang of these RC Car controls at all. I can't get the one timer challenge for the star to save my life.

I found them easier to control if I just went full speed with them. Trying to slow down for turns and poo poo just messed me up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't figure out how to turn reliably to begin with

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

TFRazorsaw posted:

It worked for me, but try swapping the Joycons in your hands. It feels more natural since the left hand is used to control direction.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

Really? I loved that fight. It was one of the highlights of the game for me just because of how mobile the water jetting octopii are. It was super fun to zip around the whole level like I was on a flying jetski.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 30, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah I thought that fight was really cool. It was neat how almost the entire level served as the boss arena.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Put me down as another person that had no problems with that fight. It was really fun.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Is this game Super Mario Odyssey or Super Mario Hyadain ???

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yea i don't really know what to say, talking to other people sounds like i'm more or less the only person i know who had trouble with the seaside kingdom boss

i honestly chalk it all up to the camera though. like every time i was making an approach on him the camera would start to rotate around (because the camera always locks onto bosses) and that combined with the boss still being very mobile just made it very hard for me to get a bead on him. i missed my attacks on him a lot and it felt really unsatisfying

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The post-game dark side of the moon area with the consecutive broodals fights are kicking my butt. I might actually have to buy a 6-health heart for the first time in the game for this one. Any particularly good strategies other than "don't get hit"?

(also please don't tell me what if anything comes after this sequence)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

GreatGreen posted:

The post-game dark side of the moon area with the consecutive broodals fights are kicking my butt. I might actually have to buy a 6-health heart for the first time in the game for this one. Any particularly good strategies other than "don't get hit"?

If it's Topper you're having trouble with (he was the one that shredded me constantly), you can jump on him while's he's spinning. His hat phases ends either after a certain period of time, or when you find him. Harriet's hat phases can be ended early by just tossing Cappy at a bomb she drops under her. You can also knock off her hat early if you angle a shot right with the smaller bombs she throws out with her hair. I didn't find Spewart all that bad. Just make sure to stay near the center and keep it clean as he paints the floor in his hat phase. You can't knock him out of it early, but you can deflect where he goes as he goes around the arena. When he's not in his hat, you can just knock his hat off instantly if you're close to the center. I find trying to deflect Rango's hat phase with Cappy too risky, instead I just walked around in circles.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GreatGreen posted:

Buying a 6-health is the most important thing.

Strats I used:
First one was actually the hardest for me, just so many moving objects. Easier if you can spin with motion controls, obviously, but I'm a lazy fucker who doesn't motion. You can end his stages early by telling which hat is him and hitting it with your hat.
Second one you can go really aggressive - you can hit her with the little ones both before she does the big ones you're "supposed" to hit her with and to knock her out of the UFO stage between hits.
Third isn't actually immune while he's doing his spit, so as soon as he breaks out of UFO mode knock his hat off and just run in and jump on him while he's spitting in a circle
Fourth has two hats but you only need to hit one, because the other will disappear if you don't hit both, and you can't be hit once you're in the air

And uh, depending on what you mean by "this sequence", a little more you may or may not want to know:
fifth fight is a rematch with the robot from Bowser's Kingdom except you have to possess a Hammer Bro, there's a 1-heart before it, and after you hit two Broodals they turn invincible and dash at you a few times and I had an easier time dodging as Mario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm thinking about selling my Wii U and PS4 that I never use to buy a Switch and this game. This thread is helping me towards that idea.

• Locked thread