Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

OldAlias posted:

not unique to Apple, but iPhones keep value so who cares. in any case you could get an SE for a couple hundred bucks and be good for years

I think this is now my plan for when this n5 breaks, thanks. I'm basically resigned to all mobile oses being garbage in one way or another, might as well try a different one for the next 4-5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I originally switched to Android because it was easier to customize the appearance (like with Nova launcher)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eric posted:

Tmobile is doing a good job of putting the screws to them now.

yeah but trump pai is probably going to let tmo/sprint merge and ugh

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah but trump pai is probably going to let tmo/sprint merge and ugh

If John Legere is in charge of the merged company it’ll be ok but if he bounces welp.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I certainly got it to look at lot more like I wanted to than I could on iOS

anyway, goons differ on opinions about phone OS appearance, oh no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I certainly got it to look at lot more like I wanted to than I could on iOS

anyway, goons differ on opinions about phone OS appearance, oh no

appearance is the last thing that matters, hth

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

appearance is the last thing that matters, hth

Well I'd say Apple's success is pretty good counterargument to that. Many people want devices that are aesthetically pleasing

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 30, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

Well I'd say Apple's success is pretty good counterargument to that. Many people want devices that are aesthetically pleasing

that's a very low effort shaggaring

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

lol if you think anyone at google has thought about the nexus 5x in the last few years.

google forgets their products so quickly they lack object permanence

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

OldAlias posted:

wrong bitch it’s the best

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in every iOS version Apple adds at least one reason why customization would be very nice to have. in iOS 11 for example they broke the default calculator app and made it impossible to truly disable WiFi and Bluetooth from the control center.

of course every version of Android also has some broken incomplete feature but at least you can replace it with some third party program that works (and steals all your information in the background).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

calling the calculator broken is a little disingenuous. As long as you don't need to add single digit numbers in a millisecond you're fine.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nah it is broken. the single digit addition is the easiest way to reliably see the brokeness in action but it turns up at random times when you are using the calculator for anything more than a single calculation.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
“broken” implies the calculator app gives the wrong results for what the user entered or something. the button fade out animation is a little bit too long is all. I use it almost every day and never encountered this oversight until The Internet pointed it out. and there’s nothing stopping you from installing pcalc or calcbot.

the bluetooth/wifi “disable” in control center is the correct thing for 95% of users 95% of the time. open the settings app and turn them off for real on the rare occasion the actual radios need to be turned off.

iOS doesn’t need app launchers or 3rd party control centers or any of that dumb android poo poo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

apple engineers can do single digit arithmetic in their heads

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ios: its objectively poo poo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Blue Train posted:

ios: its objectively poo poo

truth emerges by way of comparison, friend

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i was surprised to find out recently that ios doesn't have the automatic alert at data usage threshold that android does. on android i can say "hey let me know if i use up x GB before the end of the month" but i guess ios won't even automatically turn over the statistics on a set schedule?

the phone is not an accurate place to be logging this because certain data on carriers is exempt from your quota and the phone is not an authority on this. there is an API where your carrier can report usage data back down to the device and I guess some carriers support it (t-mob does) but at the end of the day its your carrier that should be pushing you a text if you hit 80% or whatever

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

“my iPhone is tooootally slower after the new iOS update :supaburn: Apple is loving us again :argh: planned obsolescence!!! :argh:

meanwhile android phones stop getting updates within a few months of release (18 months if you’re lucky) and often the hardware physically stops working within a year.

most people would rather have working phones than updates that don't work

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Doc Block posted:

iOS doesn’t need app launchers or 3rd party control centers or any of that dumb android poo poo

realistically no one needs it. It's like dumb linux nerds posting pictures of their riced desktops

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

how does disabling BT in control panel not work right? it seems to disable the radio completely for me, not like the wifi that just dumps the current connection.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Criticism about the Pixel 2 XL's pOLED display arose shortly after the review units went out, with complaints including reports of dull colors, graininess, a strong blue tint when viewed at an angle and, in some cases, reports of display burn-in. Google's VP of Product Management Mario Queiroz addressed two of those issues, the burn-in and vividness, in a post on Google's forums.

Google is standing by its previous statement that the Pixel 2 XL's display was designed to show "a more natural and accurate rendition of colors." Queiroz points out that the phone does contain a feature to boost the display color by 10%, but if that's not enough to satisfy some users, they'll soon also have a new mode that provides "more saturated colors." This mode will arrive in a software update for both Pixel 2 handsets "in the next few weeks."

As for the burn-in issue, Queiroz stated in his forum post that Google began investigating the issue on October 22nd when it received the first user report about the potential problem. During its testing, Google found that the issue, which is officially called differential aging, is "in line with that of other premium smartphones" and won't impact how the phone is used on a daily basis. He also explained that Google uses software "to safeguard the user experience and maximize the life of the OLED display, and we’ll make ongoing software updates to optimize further."

Finally, Google has announced that it is now providing Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones with a global 2-year warranty.
1. it doesn't look bad, it looks good, we have research that says so
2. there is actually no burn-in/image retention problem
3. We're extending the warranty [but don't count on using it for "differential aging" replacement]

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

3. We're extending the warranty [but don't count on using it for "differential aging" replacement]

the steve jobs bumper not apology strategy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that said samsung makes sure the display in every device they make is super oversaturated, this is why they pioneered super glossy screened flat panels that are actually bad if they're anywhere near a window

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Dull colors? we’re calling them “natural and accurate” because they’re dull and boring like our users.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

LiteStep For Mobile

:eyepoop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i fuckin' love specs!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

While the render looks a bit incomplete, if the specs are true... The Razer phone might be pretty badass
razer: the company that one guy had to replace his laptop from three times in two weeks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i fuckin' love specs!!

razer: the company that one guy had to replace his laptop from three times in two weeks

how could you not quote the best (sincere) reaction itt

bull3964 posted:

It's about time the ~6" 1440 edge to edge display SD835 configuration got some play in the market. It's been thirsty.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

because quoting bull is boring because he beats off to specs regardless of anything else

though it is funny since it's not even an edge to edge screen

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

because quoting bull is boring because he beats off to specs regardless of anything else

if you start carving out exceptions for mental illness in dyp youll soon find that everyone is exceptional

i read that post at work and cringed so hard i had to close the tab

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm the thx-certified android with audio latency measured in minutes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

if you start carving out exceptions for mental illness in dyp youll soon find that everyone is exceptional

i read that post at work and cringed so hard i had to close the tab

fair enough. yeah, it's a bad post

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm the thx-certified android with audio latency measured in minutes
i'm the dolby atmos in a telephone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm the checkbox features that in no way have to do anything except convince the tech journalists who are sprinting for first mover advantage that they exist

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

i'm the checkbox features that in no way have to do anything except convince the tech journalists who are sprinting for a review unit so they can put off buying their own phone for another couple weeks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

carry on then posted:

i'm the checkbox features that in no way have to do anything except convince the tech journalists who are sprinting for first mover advantage that they exist

there was a phone released in russia that was advertised as “the first with a GLONASS chip built in”, GLONASS being the russian GPS alternative. well it turns out that it indeed had the chip in it, glued onto the back of the logic board and not connected electrically to anything

so yeah, this but components in android “high performance” phones

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

there was a phone released in russia that was advertised as “the first with a GLONASS chip built in”, GLONASS being the russian GPS alternative. well it turns out that it indeed had the chip in it, glued onto the back of the logic board and not connected electrically to anything

so yeah, this but components in android “high performance” phones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2knEuI2V8M

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

lol at least the yotaphone gimmick works and sells, this thing was some cheap chinese budget model that MTS ordered in bulk and dropped the glonass chip into and then sold for hundreds of dollars

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

display edging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he's now proclaiming the merits of the $1200 chromebook he has yet to actually get