Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Though I like the idea, I'd rather have a reroll than +1 die

Why? +1 die is always better than a reroll. If it helps, pretend you cancelled a blank die and the extra die is the reroll. Then remember you still get to add the die even if you rolled all hit/crits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Basically, hope the dice is in your favor on both ends. I’m glad Biggs got nerfed. This game needs more brutality and not last over an hour because of what it takes to chew through shields and armor.

This is a statement I can get behind. "Play to time" is my least favorite style of play. Usually it's regen ships that are bad about it. If Wookiees are everywhere come Regional season, I'm gonna be really sad. :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're up to 6 players for the first-ever Jankmaster 5000 Tabletop Simulator League.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit?usp=sharing

You have until sometime tonight (Central time) to sign up. Pairings are the last thing I'm gonna do before I go to bed, whenever I get tired (usually between 10pm and midnight)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

I was actually somewhat impressed by this. While there are undoubtedly many individual balance issues within, the core concept of "frames" and the way they handle modifying the ships is really solid.

I thought it had some good ideas in it- my main issue is mostly that they're trying to do things within a set of limitations that are hard to make work(like trying to make torpedoes more of an anti-large thing).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ConfusedUs posted:

This is a statement I can get behind. "Play to time" is my least favorite style of play. Usually it's regen ships that are bad about it. If Wookiees are everywhere come Regional season, I'm gonna be really sad. :(

This but also remove token stacking from the game

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

We're up to 6 players for the first-ever Jankmaster 5000 Tabletop Simulator League.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit?usp=sharing

You have until sometime tonight (Central time) to sign up. Pairings are the last thing I'm gonna do before I go to bed, whenever I get tired (usually between 10pm and midnight)

Should post the setup guide; I haven't used TTS since Strobe's tournament.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 29, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Should look the setup guide; I haven't used TTS since Strobe's tournament.

It's easier than ever. You basically export from a squad builder, paste the XML code into a field on the board, click "Spawn list", and boom

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I was actually somewhat impressed by this. While there are undoubtedly many individual balance issues within, the core concept of "frames" and the way they handle modifying the ships is really solid.

:same: I've been on a wargaming kick lately and about to start playing space empires 4x which has individual upgrades for ships in a navy so this idea sounds sweet. A wargame with individual tableaus for fighters and packs of chits you can use to upgrade them. :allears: You'd even be able to turn over the chits for damage effects on the back side.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I really, really like that "frame" idea in that homebrew.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Seriously. That;s one of the better attempts at 'rework the system from the ground up' I've seen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, the frame idea is pretty inspired

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The ability to strip out upgrade slots you aren't using for a points saving and changing the character of the ship provides advantages over ships that don't do that.

TIE x/7 title trades the missile and cannon slots for action economy, and gives a 2 point discount to boot. TIE/D title adds new capabilities to the cannon slot, making it more valuable. Uncoupling the 3 attack turret with the Punishing One title allowed missile boats to exist, because you can afford to field 3 of them with two torpedoes each and you didn't even need the PWT.
The same principle is showing up in the two different assault gunboat titles, and the Havoc title on the Scurrg. Different ways to use the same ship in different roles.

And all the Y-Wing unique pilots need EPTs. It's absurd that they don't have them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All that is true, but I definitely like the "frames" execution of that compared to the titles that exist now. It's more elegant a fix, especially since you can bake all of the add/remove X slots rules text into the upgrade bar icons and have more room for actual game-effect rules text.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

So, the problem is, BBBBZ style attacks are quite bad against the reinforce action. And the B-wing doesn't have a missiles lot so you can't put harpoons on it.

OK so you'd probably chuck on a proton torp with chimps, which is almost guaranteed to land 2 crits on a wookie if the shields are down. Mathing it out, 4 Bs with linked batteries vs 4 wookie gunships is actually pretty similar in expected damage. (assuming all wookies have a reinforce, and all Bs have a focus only for offence). Wookies have a less reliable attack, but solid defence, while Bs have solid offence and high variance in defence. At range 3 expected damage is similar, range 2 wookies have the edge and at range 1 it's similar again, though any time a B doesn't spend their focus on offence it tips in the Bs favor.

Wookies have 1 extra health but Bs have 2 extra shields, which probably equals out over time given the extra crits absorbed. Movementwise, the Bs have a K turn and a barrel roll which is probably roughly as good as the 180 arc, though leaning towards advantage due to arc dodging on occasion.

Most importantly the Bs have the PS advantage, so when they kill a ship, it doesn't shoot back. If any wookie is without a reinforce on the joust, whether due to asteroid or bump, the Bs, with the proton torp coup-de-grace, have a pretty good shot at erasing it.

It's pretty even and would essentially come down to the wookies red dice if neither pilot makes a mistake, though you'd want to fly the Bs just because you have more options and it'd be more fun.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Raged posted:

They even use the same graphics and type setting The manual is rich in a variety of different salt type.

Not a big deal, FFG basically offers this up freely for making missions, and they were pretty supportive of HOTAC. Also this isn't bad. The X-Wing base is pretty adaptable to a lot of other playstyles if you don't mind some redesign.

For example, a friend and I reworked the XWing ruleset to make a Mad Max type game using Matchbox/Hot Wheels and I did something similar to the 'frame' system; you'd choose your driver (with a driver ability), car (which determines maneuvers), and equipment (which affects which maneuvers are red/green, shooting, gimmicks, etc) in a similar manner. We had 3 'classes' of car, Sports (high speed & maneuver, but low armor), Stock (basic, balanced car) and Off-Road (low speed, high armor). Instead of the predictive movement of dials, to simulate slower vehicles every move was chosen on activation; the steps would go Activate -> Move -> Shift -> Action, then an attack phase like X-Wing. Shifting basically determined what maneuvers you'd be allowed to do next round; shift down for slower ones, hold gear and you're limited to what gear you're in, or shift up for more speed. Unfortunately we never really dove deeper into more Meta, but we tabled it several times and everyone really enjoyed it. I use a similar setup for Speeders in my EOTE campaign, too.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 29, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Though I like the idea, I'd rather have a reroll than +1 die

Yeah, that's my sticking point too. I would have to drop Rey or go down to a mangler cannon and both seem like bad ideas. HLC will be needed to overwhelm any other Wookie ships you come up against and Rey is just so dang handy.

Maybe I judged the X-Wing supremacy too harshly. I'll go back and re-read without a few drinks in me.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Tentative confirmation from our distributor: Waves 12 and 13 release next week. (e: tentative because preorders are due by 11/6 anyway :shrug:. No telling what this means anymore with Alliance)

Also there's a missing SKU: SWX71 doesn't have anything assigned to it. 67 is Resistance Bomber, 68 is TIE Silencer, 69 is the Alpha Class Starwing, 70 is the Kimogila fighter, 72 is the Phantom II, 73 is Guns for Hire. 71 is just randomly sitting empty in the middle of wave 12.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 30, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Tentative confirmation from our distributor: Waves 12 and 13 release next week.

Also there's a missing SKU: SWX71 doesn't have anything assigned to it. 68 is Resistance Bomber, 69 is TIE Silencer, 70 is the Kimogila fighter, 72 is the Phantom II, 73 is Guns for Hire. 71 is just randomly sitting empty in the middle of wave 12.

sorry, wait, next week?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I edited my original post for clarification. Definitely shipping before the holidays, anyway, and probably mid-November. The distributor is closing preorders 11/6 meaning they're definitely shipping sooner rather than later.

Considering the L5R stunt they're pulling, of which the fifth pack's preorder is also due 11/6 and is releasing in November, it's not a stretch that Waves 12 and 13 will release at the same time as that pack.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Tentative confirmation from our distributor: Waves 12 and 13 release next week. (e: tentative because preorders are due by 11/6 anyway :shrug:. No telling what this means anymore with Alliance)

Also there's a missing SKU: SWX71 doesn't have anything assigned to it. 68 is Resistance Bomber, 69 is TIE Silencer, 70 is the Kimogila fighter, 72 is the Phantom II, 73 is Guns for Hire. 71 is just randomly sitting empty in the middle of wave 12.

Shouldn't that be the Alpha-class gunboat?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

Looking at FFG's website

Still a missing sku :iiam:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Funzo posted:

Sorry, I left that out and bumped up the Last Jedi ships one number. 71 is still missing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Huh. Welp, time for some baseless speculation then. Maybe it's something from the next movie they're keeping secret until it gets released.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
69, nice

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jankmaster 5000 League begins immediately.

Round one games are due by Sunday, November 5th at 9pm Central Time.

ConfusedUs vs LanceKing2200
Admiral Joeslop vs Acebucket13
canyoneer vs Some Numbers

Full rules and list of lists available in the spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Igizmy5S584unQA0FxBxfeKICe_elsven4ThqlKiOtI/edit#gid=0

The new FAQ is in effect. The only list this affects is Comfortably Numb (which has Biggs).

After your game please fill in the "results" tab on the spreadsheet.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Played a game this weekend with dumb fluff lists. It was my Darth + 5 TIE list vs. an AAXXY list of all rookie pilots. Neither of us had played in a while, so we got a couple of rules wrong, but it was a lot of fun. It cam down to my Academy Pilot TIE vs. his rookie Y-Wing. I lost my TIE, his Y-Wing had 1 hull left.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

canyoneer, I'm in PST and I work 2-10:30 pm until Friday. Your call.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

canyoneer, I'm in PST and I work 2-10:30 pm until Friday. Your call.

Cool, I sent a friend request in Steam so we can work out the deets there

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have no idea who posted/suggested this Death Train build, but holy gently caress its my new favorite thing.
"Deathrain" — TIE Punisher 26
Advanced Sensors 3
Unguided Rockets 2
Bomblet Generator 3
Lightweight Frame 2
Ship Total: 36

One bomblet drop killed 3 ships. Granted, 1 was my other TIE Bomber because I misjudged, but it was still awesome. Drop a Bomblet out the front, barrel roll away, Adv. Sensor to a focus, then 4K behind enemy ships....feels good. And at PS 6 it doesn't feel OP and I don't feel like a dick playing it.
This will never work in a 'competitive'setting, but I have a feeling I am going to try and make this work in a 'competitive' setting.

Also, I posted this in the Board Game thread, but I'm posting it here. Wondering if other people have terrible/toxic players in their area and groups:
There's an older guy who comes to the X-Wing nights and tournaments who is annoying as gently caress, always blames the dice, gets visibly angry when he's losing, bitches and complains the whole time. I have seen him go outside and throw his dice in the trash after he gets a few bad rolls, just to buy another pack of dice and later do the same thing again.

He's a loving grown baby. Friday night was the last time I even play him in a casual setting. Even after destroying 2 of my TIEs and I hadn't destroyed any of his ships, he got a bad defensive role and took a few points of damage (this still did not destroy his ship). He punched the table and cause everything to shift and jump around and in general made everyone present uncomfortable. gently caress that guy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There’s a local guy who behaves much the same. No table punching, but angry, always dice this, dice that, etc.

None of us put up with his poo poo anymore. No one will play him on casual night. At tourneys we just don’t talk to him and finish Games ASAP.

I’m probably his most vocal critic, and he really hates me for it. “Could you not?” And “go be you somewhere else.” Are things I say to him regularly.

I tried being nice for like six months, tried telling him why people never wanted to play. I tried to be his friend. It didn’t work. I don’t have any more time for him.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Toxic people in X-Wing can easily be handled by just not playing them in any setting. Who ever runs the tournaments or leagues can also refuse his entry. At this point the game is so popular that there isn’t any shortage of better players, so the toxic ones generally just go away.

We had that happen last year with a guy who was super sloppy and very cringey with how he talked and acted. It got to the point where it stopped being fun playing against him and people just stopped asking him to play or accepting his challenges. I saw him a few weeks ago learning Warhammer and sure enough, acting the same way - the guy teaching him didn’t look like he was enjoying it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

Also, I posted this in the Board Game thread, but I'm posting it here. Wondering if other people have terrible/toxic players in their area and groups:
There's an older guy who comes to the X-Wing nights and tournaments who is annoying as gently caress, always blames the dice, gets visibly angry when he's losing, bitches and complains the whole time. I have seen him go outside and throw his dice in the trash after he gets a few bad rolls, just to buy another pack of dice and later do the same thing again.

He's a loving grown baby. Friday night was the last time I even play him in a casual setting. Even after destroying 2 of my TIEs and I hadn't destroyed any of his ships, he got a bad defensive role and took a few points of damage (this still did not destroy his ship). He punched the table and cause everything to shift and jump around and in general made everyone present uncomfortable. gently caress that guy.

This is the point where you begin packing up your stuff and tell him you're not playing with a child throwing a tantrum. Then talk to the owners, or people in charge of league, whoever. If they do nothing or brush you off, tell them you won't be coming back, and then don't.

There is 0 reason to put up with someone like that, and 0 reason to go to a store that allows it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

But if it's one of your friends, it's charming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY8EYxVvAD8&t=270s
(see at 4:30)

I have no patience for that. This is one of my hobbies, and I do it because it's fun. It's not fun to be around grown-rear end adults throwing tantrums.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is the point where you begin packing up your stuff and tell him you're not playing with a child throwing a tantrum. Then talk to the owners, or people in charge of league, whoever. If they do nothing or brush you off, tell them you won't be coming back, and then don't.

There is 0 reason to put up with someone like that, and 0 reason to go to a store that allows it.

Everyone else in the group is cool (except one guy who is a crazy Alex Jones loving conspiracy theorist who's nice in person but terrible on Facebook), so I ain't letting one rear end in a top hat ruin it. No one has really said anything to him because no wants to cause drama and we are all mostly mild mannered nerds, but I'm kind of the bluntest guy in the group so I have a feeling I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat that has to let him know he needs to knock that poo poo off.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

Everyone else in the group is cool (except one guy who is a crazy Alex Jones loving conspiracy theorist who's nice in person but terrible on Facebook), so I ain't letting one rear end in a top hat ruin it. No one has really said anything to him because no wants to cause drama and we are all mostly mild mannered nerds, but I'm kind of the bluntest guy in the group so I have a feeling I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat that has to let him know he needs to knock that poo poo off.

If you're like me, and sometimes step too far past "blunt" and into "rear end in a top hat," run it past your buddies first. "Would anyone mind if I told <odious fellow> to knock that poo poo off?"

If he's really that bad, you'll probably get some relieved expressions and general assent.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

enigmahfc posted:

I have no idea who posted/suggested this Death Train build, but holy gently caress its my new favorite thing.
"Deathrain" — TIE Punisher 26
Advanced Sensors 3
Unguided Rockets 2
Bomblet Generator 3
Lightweight Frame 2
Ship Total: 36

One bomblet drop killed 3 ships. Granted, 1 was my other TIE Bomber because I misjudged, but it was still awesome. Drop a Bomblet out the front, barrel roll away, Adv. Sensor to a focus, then 4K behind enemy ships....feels good. And at PS 6 it doesn't feel OP and I don't feel like a dick playing it.
This will never work in a 'competitive'setting, but I have a feeling I am going to try and make this work in a 'competitive' setting.

Let me see if I have the order correct. I'm still learning everything, so bear with me.

1. Use Adv. Sensors, gain a focus
2. Reveal 4K on dial
3 That triggers bomblet generator, which you launch out the front.
4. barrel-roll, due to pilot ability
5. execute the 4K move.

Does that sound right? I'm terrible at figuring out how abilities all work together.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That is exactly correct, yes.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Almost as fun is boosting forward with advance sensors, throwing a Bomblet out the front, barrel rolling, then doing a 4 K or 3 bank to get out of range. "Smell ya later, jerks!"

ConfusedUs posted:

If you're like me, and sometimes step too far past "blunt" and into "rear end in a top hat," run it past your buddies first. "Would anyone mind if I told <odious fellow> to knock that poo poo off?"

If he's really that bad, you'll probably get some relieved expressions and general assent.

We were all discussing his behavior after he left Friday, so I think it's fair to say he's got a reputation, everyone's just too nice to say anything since it seems like X-Wing is his only social outlet...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

Almost as fun is boosting forward with advance sensors, throwing a Bomblet out the front, barrel rolling, then doing a 4 K or 3 bank to get out of range. "Smell ya later, jerks!"

We were all discussing his behavior after he left Friday, so I think it's fair to say he's got a reputation, everyone's just too nice to say anything since it seems like X-Wing is his only social outlet...

No one is there to pamper him and bow to his social wishes. If he can't handle his one social outlet, that should be his problem, not an entire store's.

Be the hero you hope for.

Edit: Unguided Rockets; are they a "No Modifications Ever Except Focus Token" upgrade or is there any fuckery to be done?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Unboxing guns for hire makes me wish these "fixer" expansions were just 2 smaller individual packages instead of a combo. Looking at the nice paintjob on the K fighter i know i will still never fly this pointsink of a ship and it will prob just sit in its clear plastic coffin forever. Maybe ill display it on my desk at least.

• Locked thread