Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think its funny how utterly poo poo Haas has been yet Renault only has 1 more constructors championship point (and Toro Rosso only 5 more than Renault).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, they were essentially a 1 car team for most of the year.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

To be fair, they were essentially a 1 car team for most of the year.

I was going to make a joke about Grosjean but he has more points than Kmag and Palmer combined :cripes:

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I feel Hamiltons fourth championship is rather fraudulent as he has not really earned it as compared to the Mighty Are Rossie last year. Hamilton has basically won this through the mistakes of others, especially Vettel, there fore I renounce this usurper and formally charge the 2017 championship as null and void

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The RS17 isn't a bad car. It just seems inconsistent.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It's their first real car and it's a fairly good base to build off of.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

The RS17 isn't a bad car. It just seems inconsistent.

I think that can be attributed to the engine.

Though I will laugh if both RBR and McLaren stomp them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Gonzo that film is specifically about the drivers of that era but yeah, you're right.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It's not Hamiltons fault that Ferrari poo poo the bed just like it isn't vettel's fault that the Red Bull was way better than everyone during his championship years. It would be nice if we could have a year when two teams manage to keep it together all the way through.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The FIA revised the WDC trophy this year in honour of Lewis' 4th shampionship.

Congratulations #TEAMLH44 you are truly #MEGABLESSED

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Serious talk: where would Ferrari be today if it wasn't for Schumi?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Probably where they are now, being a mercurial team that randomly goes between winning races and melting down within a single season is basically a return to normal form for Ferrari .

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

It's not Hamiltons fault that Ferrari poo poo the bed just like it isn't vettel's fault that the Red Bull was way better than everyone during his championship years. It would be nice if we could have a year when two teams manage to keep it together all the way through.

The problem is developing these cars is so resource intensive and the constraints put on them means that putting in a ton of work for next year's car doesn't necessarily translate to on track action. There's a reason Red Bull has finally come good and it's because the other teams stopped developing this year's car months ago while Red Bull soldiers on for no loving reason.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

The problem is developing these cars is so resource intensive and the constraints put on them means that putting in a ton of work for next year's car doesn't necessarily translate to on track action. There's a reason Red Bull has finally come good and it's because the other teams stopped developing this year's car months ago while Red Bull soldiers on for no loving reason.

I think Red Bull will have an advantage going into next year because of this though. Apart from the T-wing, shark fin, and, I think, monkey seat, there's no other significant changes to the chassis formula. If they can develop the car while leaving those components alone (or making minimal adjustments to them), it's a head start into next year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

I think Red Bull will have an advantage going into next year because of this though. Apart from the T-wing, shark fin, and, I think, monkey seat, there's no other significant changes to the chassis formula. If they can develop the car while leaving those components alone (or making minimal adjustments to them), it's a head start into next year.

They've always done this and it's never worked out that way aside from 2011. Even with virtually identical rules they've always had a slow start to the season because they were too busy loving around trying to win the final races of a season when it didn't matter.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

It should be a continuous process and only some teams can afford that. I think everybody would love to spend all year tweaking everything and getting stuff to work better, but that costs a lot of loving money.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren is doing the same thing and I don’t understand why them and Red Bull seem to be the only ones. There’s no downside afaik.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

McLaren is doing the same thing and I don’t understand why them and Red Bull seem to be the only ones. There’s no downside afaik.

Mercedes and Ferrari can essentially copy your concepts and fine tune them for next year. Also it saves time for them since they know that concept works so they can either build off that or use the time they would've worked on it exploring something else.

McLaren had good results doing it last year, I don't think they wanted to do then or now by choice but basically had too since they didn't do the tire test and kind of got hosed by the late engine switch.

Red Bull seem to do it just to win late season races.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

And Brawn*

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Mercedes and Ferrari can essentially copy your concepts and fine tune them for next year. Also it saves time for them since they know that concept works so they can either build off that or use the time they would've worked on it exploring something else.

McLaren had good results doing it last year, I don't think they wanted to do then or now by choice but basically had too since they didn't do the tire test and kind of got hosed by the late engine switch.

Red Bull seem to do it just to win late season races.

If Mercedes wanted to copy McLaren or Red Bull’s concepts they would have to wholesale redesign the car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

If Mercedes wanted to copy McLaren or Red Bull’s concepts they would have to wholesale redesign the car.

That is what they're rumoured to be doing for next year.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CratSock posted:

:five:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

That is what they're rumoured to be doing for next year.

In that case, they'd be copying cars that have been out and about for years. And I don't think they're going to get much additional benefit from simply seeing that McLaren have added two slots into their front wing. McLaren, on the other hand, now have loads of data from that new wing, and they know exactly how their wind tunnels correlate to on-track performance. Seems worth it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After Brexit they should revoke all of Hamilton titles and award them to an european team like Scuderia Ferrari IMO

Gigi Galli posted:

Gonzo that film is specifically about the drivers of that era but yeah, you're right.

Neat, it will be only in italian?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Who the gently caress changed DoctorGonzo's av? I want crying GrossJeans back immediately.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

In that case, they'd be copying cars that have been out and about for years. And I don't think they're going to get much additional benefit from simply seeing that McLaren have added two slots into their front wing. McLaren, on the other hand, now have loads of data from that new wing, and they know exactly how their wind tunnels correlate to on-track performance. Seems worth it.

We are not going to agree on this and I actually have work to do today so I respectfully will say we will not see eye to eye on this issue and that is okay.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CratSock posted:

Who the gently caress changed DoctorGonzo's av? I want crying GrossJeans back immediately.

CratSock, please. Now is not the time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

We are not going to agree on this and I actually have work to do today so I respectfully will say we will not see eye to eye on this issue and that is okay.

You have no idea how tall I am, we may well see exactly eye to eye.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Without continuous car development we would not have had two Max wins and Alonso would still be sitting at 18th. I am fine with this ideology.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should bring back unlimited testing and remove the stupid engine constraints

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

DoctorGonzo posted:

they should bring back unlimited testing and remove the stupid engine constraints

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

They should bring back your old avatar.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

thats not very nice

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CratSock posted:

Isn't that the WCC trophy? I thought the WDC was the other one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DoctorGonzo posted:

CratSock, please. Now is not the time.

Time is a healer is a terribly hokey cliché, but it is true, it will get easier. The best thing you can do right now is keep busy with whatever it is that you like doing, be it old races, reading, video games, cooking, and so on. Take it day by day and it will all be OK. :)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Probably where they are now, being a mercurial team that randomly goes between winning races and melting down within a single season is basically a return to normal form for Ferrari .

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

learnincurve posted:

Time is a healer is a terribly hokey cliché, but it is true, it will get easier. The best thing you can do right now is keep busy with whatever it is that you like doing, be it old races, reading, video games, cooking, and so on. Take it day by day and it will all be OK. :)

Drinking but that is not very healthy so ill finish ruiner instead

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alboreto taking the burning Ferrari down to their pits and jumping out now that his championship challenge was done basically says everything you need to know about Ferrari in my opinion. That was peak Ferrari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Alboreto taking the burning Ferrari down to their pits and jumping out now that his championship challenge was done basically says everything you need to know about Ferrari in my opinion. That was peak Ferrari.

Monza 88

• Locked thread