Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Ascent

Pure, unadulterated filler. Someone apparently felt season five needed another episode but declined to provide a plot to go with it so we get an hour of Odo/Quark and Jake/Nog interactions instead with no stakes (like they'd really kill off Odo or Quark like this) and no discernable plot.

It's not offensively bad, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That episode has some of the best Odo/Quark interactions in the show, pretend I put a gif of ed harris yelling at you right here because goddamn son

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Problem is, I don't particularly like Odo. I don't like most Founders stuff, I don't like Odo's relationship with Kira, and The Ascent comes hot on the heels of what I think is a really good Odo episode in Things Past.

I like Odo's relationship with Quark when it's kept light-hearted and a bit silly. "I always investigate Quark." I don't really buy them when they try to play it more seriously. Quark to me is a comic relief character and a drat good one, but I don't like him as a center of actual drama.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like Odo and Quark and I don't like the ascent either. it's like the hobbit movies for me; spending time with the characters you know is not enough to make me watch something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Rapture

Here's an episode that you simply couldn't do on any other series of Star Trek. Duet could easily be a particularly ballsy episode of any other series, any of the Dominion episodes wouldn't need too much work to adjust to the looming threat du jour, and so on and so forth. But here you have a very unique, very particularly Deep Space Nine episode and it's a good one. Also remarkable for being a Sisko episode that doesn't have him chewing the scenery and screaming at people, which is to be honest an unusual sight and shows his chops nicely.

Another entry in the episodes I'd show someone interested in DS9 to show them what it's about and what makes it different, I think.

Just from the episodes I've seen during rewatching this from the beginning, I'd probably pick for that purpose:

Emissary, parts one and two
Duet
The Maquis, parts one and two
The Wire
The House of Quark
Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast
The Adversary
Homefront/Paradise Lost
Hard Time
Rapture

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 29, 2017

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I've been feeling nostalgic lately and watching Star Trek. For now, I've been sporadically watching TNG and Voyager episodes, skipping a lot of them. I'm enjoying Voyager more than I remembered. I still like TNG a lot more, but Voyager does have some fun episodes. I'm appreciating Tuvok more this time. Tim Russ is really good at playing a Vulcan.

I was thinking about Course: Oblivion after I watched it (the one where Voyager is dissolving into goo). I feel like this could have been a pretty good TNG episode instead of just an okay Voyager episode. For one thing, an episode like this hinges a lot on how much you care about the characters, and I just feel more attached to the TNG crew. The other major issue I had with it, is that it doesn't affect anything. No one even knows that it happened. If I were writing it, they'd have a chance to survive at the end, and willingly sacrifice themselves to achieve something. Maybe there's a primitive species about to get wiped out if they don't intervene, or there's a plot to attack the Federation that they have to stop. I prefer the latter because it's not as clear cut. Technically they're not part of the Federation, but they believe in the Federation's ideals and want to protect it, so they still make the sacrifice, even knowing it won't be acknowledged or remembered. I think that would be interesting to see. And I'd have them leave something behind, a brief final message or some token that the real Enterprise can pick up, symbolizing that the lives of the duplicate crew had meaning. Anyway, I feel like I'm skirting dangerously close to fan fiction territory, but I just keep thinking that episode was a real missed opportunity.

Now, just a couple Voyager questions for the thread. Was Dragon's Teeth good? I've been skipping any episodes that don't sound interesting, but I'm on the fence about this one. Also, I started with Scorpion, because of Seven. Are they any major highlights I should go back and watch from earlier in the show?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I've been feeling nostalgic lately and watching Star Trek. For now, I've been sporadically watching TNG and Voyager episodes, skipping a lot of them. I'm enjoying Voyager more than I remembered. I still like TNG a lot more, but Voyager does have some fun episodes. I'm appreciating Tuvok more this time. Tim Russ is really good at playing a Vulcan.

I was thinking about Course: Oblivion after I watched it (the one where Voyager is dissolving into goo). I feel like this could have been a pretty good TNG episode instead of just an okay Voyager episode. For one thing, an episode like this hinges a lot on how much you care about the characters, and I just feel more attached to the TNG crew. The other major issue I had with it, is that it doesn't affect anything. No one even knows that it happened. If I were writing it, they'd have a chance to survive at the end, and willingly sacrifice themselves to achieve something. Maybe there's a primitive species about to get wiped out if they don't intervene, or there's a plot to attack the Federation that they have to stop. I prefer the latter because it's not as clear cut. Technically they're not part of the Federation, but they believe in the Federation's ideals and want to protect it, so they still make the sacrifice, even knowing it won't be acknowledged or remembered. I think that would be interesting to see. And I'd have them leave something behind, a brief final message or some token that the real Enterprise can pick up, symbolizing that the lives of the duplicate crew had meaning. Anyway, I feel like I'm skirting dangerously close to fan fiction territory, but I just keep thinking that episode was a real missed opportunity.

Now, just a couple Voyager questions for the thread. Was Dragon's Teeth good? I've been skipping any episodes that don't sound interesting, but I'm on the fence about this one. Also, I started with Scorpion, because of Seven. Are they any major highlights I should go back and watch from earlier in the show?

I remember when I rewatched the series "Dragon's Teeth" wound up being the episode I look at as quintessentially everything that's both right and wrong with Voyager. First 40 minutes of the episode or so set up an interesting premise, then the writers can't figure out an ending so they shrug their shoulders and Voyager simply moves on consequence free. This, "Course: Oblivion," and many others are how Voyager got its reputation for hitting the reset button.

Sure, TNG doesn't have much continuity, but most episodes end with a tough decision needing to be made that gives you a satisfying conclusion. With Voyager, most episodes end with a "that was it?" or a "why didn't they do X instead?" Voyager's definitely still fun to watch, but it doesn't stick the endings often enough to reach the heights of TNG and DS9.

As for earlier episodes to go back to watch, "The Thaw" is a good one. That's the one with the clown. "False Profits" is a follow up to a TNG episode. "Future's End" for time travel hijinks and the origin of The Doctor's mobile emitter. "Threshold."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Darkness and the Light

Kira, I love you but you really have no ground to poo poo on Odo about not always being the personification of justice. Also another episode that seems astonishingly prescient about dealing with issues that matter a lot today - and back when it aired, I suppose.

Makes a good little trilogy with Necessary Evil and Things Past if you're in the mood for dark, grim crime drama revolving around the uglier side of the Occupation and the Resistance.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
That loving ending monologue tho.

It is among the greatest trainwrecks in DS9.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Worf suffered more consequences for failing a mission in order to rescue his girlfriend than for committing sabotage and treason.

Honestly, I'm not sure what Sisko was so mad at Eddington about, like apparently you can become a terrorist and attack a peaceful Federation planet and it's no biggie

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Dragon’s Teeth was supposed to be a two parter and set up a new recurring enemy. Then it wasn’t and it didn’t. It’s a weird thing to behold if nothing else.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Problem is, I don't particularly like Odo. I don't like most Founders stuff, I don't like Odo's relationship with Kira, and The Ascent comes hot on the heels of what I think is a really good Odo episode in Things Past.

I like Odo's relationship with Quark when it's kept light-hearted and a bit silly. "I always investigate Quark." I don't really buy them when they try to play it more seriously. Quark to me is a comic relief character and a drat good one, but I don't like him as a center of actual drama.

I complain a lot about DS9 but at the core of it, I don't think the relationships between the B characters are all that loving interesting. "OK you all cartoonishly represent [aspect of humanity], again, and grind against each other's personalities, again, wow." And what people seem to most fondly remember is the Dominion politics.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
was super duper stoned last night playing Tecmo Bowl, and had Voyager on in the background. at one point i looked up and it was a close-up shot of Neelix's face, and I thought I had literally seen the face of Lucifer

god drat

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
DS9 S5 E2 - The Ship

Still one of my favorite DS9 episodes ever. The conversation between Sisko and Dax at the end is one of the things that defines DS9 in my eyes.

quote:

"That doesn't make it any easier."

"Maybe nothing should."

Really wish Kilana came back. She was just as compelling a Vorta as Weyoun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, if I was introducing someone to DS9 The Ship would be right up there with Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast and The Jem'hadar for "This is the Dominion and why you should be scared of them."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Apparently discovery was good tonight?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone posts it every week. Wow, immediately after the new episode weird on the street from the shows tiny fanbase of diehards willing to pay money to watch it, is that it's good?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

They all took my advice and watched Andromeda instead :twisted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Begotten

Fine, drat it, you win, Deep Space Nine. I teared up over a loving Odo episode of all things. Not as much over Duet or The Visitor, sure, but "What if Odo became a dad?" is a fine plot and I quite like Odo's own rear end in a top hat dad guy and their relationship. You know going in that there's not going to be a new changeling character, of course, but I find it's still an effective episode. Effective enough to ignore the wholly pointless b-plot.

And nuts to The Ascent, this episode has some of my favorite Odo/Quark banter in the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

Confirmed

The show is starting to hit its stride more. We've had about 3 weeks of mostly side-stories after a bunch of episodes that were more about the overarching plot of the series.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Someone posts it every week. Wow, immediately after the new episode weird on the street from the shows tiny fanbase of diehards willing to pay money to watch it, is that it's good?

Not really, the thread hasn't been too keen on previous episodes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Did you guys find it weird that the Orville encountered a planet that was a near copy of 21st-century earth?

I know it's supposed to be a comedy version of Trek or whatever, but come on what are the odds of that.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

It was a pretty enjoyable episode.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Did you guys find it weird that the Orville encountered a planet that was a near copy of 21st-century earth?

I know it's supposed to be a comedy version of Trek or whatever, but come on what are the odds of that.

Yeah it seems pretty unlikely. Hopefully a writer got fired for that screw up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Statistically, 100% of known inhabited planets can be considered pretty much identical to 21st century Earth. The real fuckup is every other planet in the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Someone posts it every week. Wow, immediately after the new episode weird word on the street from the shows tiny fanbase of diehards willing to pay money to watch it, is that it's good?

But enough about The Orville

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VitalSigns posted:

But see, when TOS did it, the planet was sideways Earth. Totally different.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

sidebar: anthony rapp is brave as heck and i admire him all the more for it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don’t know where you’re getting this from because the Discovery thread on the whole is pretty negative. Tonight’s episode just happened to actually be both pretty good and very Star Trek-y.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't ever seen any TOS episodes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

"there's so many ways to blow up this ship, it's almost a design flaw"

Star Trek Discovery, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If we get a third episode in a row where the characters aren't snarking at each other in between doing morally questionable things for dubious reasons then I'll be glad but still not terribly impressed since the pilot and first episodes set such a low bar to clear

I do not spend money to see this and I would not recommend anyone else pay for it at this point either

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

I complain a lot about DS9 but at the core of it, I don't think the relationships between the B characters are all that loving interesting. "OK you all cartoonishly represent [aspect of humanity], again, and grind against each other's personalities, again, wow." And what people seem to most fondly remember is the Dominion politics.

DS9 is all about the actors and what they make of it. The writing is corny, the delivery is great.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I didn't hate this episode.

New Personal Best, Discovery!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The discovery thread is about 30% trolling at this point.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

The 30% who say it's good?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paradoxish posted:

I don’t know where you’re getting this from because the Discovery thread on the whole is pretty negative. Tonight’s episode just happened to actually be both pretty good and very Star Trek-y.

Oh well that's good then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

It’s higher than that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For the Uniform

Benjamin Motherfucking Sisko, and why you do not screw with this manliest of men.

If this had been a Voyager episode, you know the episode would have bent over backwards to excuse and rationalize Janeway's vendetta and dropping a WMD on an inhabited planet purely to flush Eddington out, and odds are the whole thing would have been a technobabble bluff so she didn't really do it to begin with. DS9, nope Sisko really did just do that and would have done it again and again until Eddington surrendered.

I still don't like the Maquis as a plot thread now that the Dominion is here, they were fine when it was just the Federation and Cardassians but their time has passed. And I certainly don't buy Eddington outsmarting everyone so consistently. But Sisko's performance makes up for that.

When a guy who's intense in battle anyway pronounces that it's time to become the villain, sensible men hide under their beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Discovery was actually really solid this week and the characters are starting to become more than cardboard cutouts. Stoned Stamets is quickly becoming the main reason I download tune in each week.