Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Mine builds want two, one linked to high level high quality spell totem, other linked to level 1 cast when damage taken. The former is mandatory when you want to burn down bosses as fast as possible.

Does the totem level improve the speed/damage or is it just to make the totem not die all the time? I'm guessing the latter, but I'm not totally sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Latter, and quality gives faster placement speed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StoryTime posted:

The big difference for you is that the Mayhem event is 'void', which means that when it ends, all the characters and loot are gone. Can't play with those toys anymore. The Turmoil event is less intense in content (but still out there for a new player), but when it ends, those characters and loot go into the Standard league. Standard is the catchall dumping ground for all the characters from special leagues and events.

I'm amazed that Turmoil is unvoided, five guaranteed breaches per zone on some hours is fuckin' nutty

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I'm amazed that Turmoil is unvoided, five guaranteed breaches per zone on some hours is fuckin' nutty

Turmoil is the neutered so it doesn't have to be voided version of mayhem they came up with after the new mtx system's many false starts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A lil history from a few months ago, Mayhem was voided and meant to roll out with the new mtx system (that supports void leagues), but the old mtx system was originally so badly hacked together that the new mtx system failed. So while Mayhem was fun, your characters looked lame wearing default skins (non-unique cloth/caster armor looks poo poo). GGG must have lost out on a ton of money, because they could have ridden the wave of player excitement over this event into a ton of packs bought. So afterwards, Turmoil was a lesser version of Mayhem that could be safely folded into standard once the league was over, but after the high of Mayhem gameplay, there was no interest in Turmoil.

This time they're going Turmoil --> Mayhem, so the gameplay ramps upwards.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

What's the best way to use a Tukohama's Fortress? I got one from Vagan but I've never played a totem build before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Use it with summoner, grab X Tukohama Vanguard spectres, watch as their 2X scorching ray totems melt every boss in seconds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

Use it with summoner, grab X Tukohama Vanguard spectres, watch as their 2X scorching ray totems melt every boss in seconds.

...that's a new use that I've never thought of.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

you need to have necro aegis for this iirc btw

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

u got mares in yr house posted:

What's the best way to use a Tukohama's Fortress? I got one from Vagan
gently caress you

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So from what I understand the next League is gonna be more interesting than this one, because they didn't want to overwhelm the potential new players that came with 3.0 ?

frajaq fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 30, 2017

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

frajaq posted:

So from what I understand the next League if gonna be more interesting than this one, because they didn't want to overwhelm the potential new players that came with 3.0 ?

Yeah, they always pair relatively uninteresting leagues with big expansions, so that the league content doesn't steal focus from the expansion content. The next one should be more fun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

This is the first league I made it to high end maps and did Uber lab so I'm excited for the next one

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I'm trying to do crit Blade Vortex and I have to ask.....how do you avoid instantly one-shotting yourself on every phys reflect rare? If my 20 stack Vortex crits for 100k, it's going to reflect 13k and there's absolutely no way I can see to mitigate that, and leech does you no good if you just get one shot. Even if I take 50% less phys reflect from Ascendant or something I'll still die if the rare melees me below like 80% health at any point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hope that immortal call is up

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In addition to basalt flask and yugul, probably just not running around with that many stacks. Its overkill for trash clearing you should only need to spin up that much for bosses.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I might go with a frostbolt or freezing pulse scion for turmoil. I figure that breach items are going to be common enough, so getting a skin of the loyal shouldn't be that impossible. Probably do elementalist/assassin/deadeye (pick two).

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
You can mitigate reflect damage a few ways:

Block, dodge and evade affect incoming reflect damage, provided you can block/dodge spell damage (you can always block/dodge incoming attack damage, Evade can be negated by Hits Can't Be Evaded modifiers
Wearing a Sibyl's Lament ring in the correct slot to get either 40% ele reflect reduction or phys reflect reduction
Armor and resists mitigate reflected phys/ele damage respectively
Fortify reduces incoming damage, as does Immortal Call and Arctic Armor
Basalt flasks with inc %Armor while active

I believe leech actually does mitigate incoming reflect damage, so it goes Hit > Leech > Reflected Damage

The easiest way to deal with it is just to run the ascendancy phys reflect mitigation + sibyl's lament for a neat 90% phys reflect reduction, if you wanted to be 100% sure just add the Yugul's pantheon power for another 25%.

I'm sure I've hosed some of that up, but that's how I remember it working.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Keru posted:

I believe leech actually does mitigate incoming reflect damage, so it goes Hit > Leech > Reflected Damage

Only if your leech exceeds reflect. Otherwise you'll just tick down to 0 slower than you would sans leech. And it doesn't matter anyway if you get one shot by the reflect.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Vasudus posted:

I think I might go with a frostbolt or freezing pulse scion for turmoil. I figure that breach items are going to be common enough, so getting a skin of the loyal shouldn't be that impossible. Probably do elementalist/assassin/deadeye (pick two).

Get out of my head damnit

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think i'm going to do ED/Contagion, and I started my first ED character ever in hcssf as practice yesterday. Seemed pretty solid, good clear speed, the main problem I had is that man I am not ready for some of the later boss fights in HC yet. Ate poo poo on kitava since I'm not used to caring about the boss fights. Glad I'm doing some practice beforehand for sure

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

I think i'm going to do ED/Contagion, and I started my first ED character ever in hcssf as practice yesterday. Seemed pretty solid, good clear speed, the main problem I had is that man I am not ready for some of the later boss fights in HC yet. Ate poo poo on kitava since I'm not used to caring about the boss fights. Glad I'm doing some practice beforehand for sure

I'm doing ED/blight/contagion for my starting character in 3.1, so I won't be running it in the races.

Think if I do Mayhem I'll do an Oroflicker, it's been my requisite 3 leagues since running one of those.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is essence drain occultist better as hybrid or CI?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Is the updated Lightning Tendrils in now or is that coming with 3.1?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

redneck nazgul posted:

Is the updated Lightning Tendrils in now or is that coming with 3.1?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Boooooooo. Well, at least I have a league starting idea.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

StashAugustine posted:

is essence drain occultist better as hybrid or CI?

This league I went Hybrid and switched to Low-Life when I could afford to, and I've been pretty pleased aside from how expensive the transition is. This was my first time playing and I made it all the way up to Shaper. I died a lot but a lot of them are down to learning both game and boss mechanics as I went and being too lazy/broke to gear well for a long time. I really enjoy the core gameplay though and I'll probably make another ED character next league (maybe a MOM Trickster or something). I really enjoy the play pattern.

Open question: what are the odds there'll be substantial balance changes in 3.1? Any idea what they'll be, if so?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Open question: what are the odds there'll be substantial balance changes in 3.1? Any idea what they'll be, if so?

Guaranteed. Who knows.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Usually with leagues there's SOME balance changes. 2.0/3.0 were exceptionally dramatic in modifying core mechanics, but I don't think 3.1 will do anything super drastic. What you can expect is probably some more new threshold jewels to skills that don't have one (looking at you, Ice Spear), some general tweaking of skills (and probably yet another change to blade vortex), some remaining old uniques getting an update, and the general effects on gameplay that new uniques bring.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

dis astranagant posted:

Guaranteed. Who knows.

I wonder how happy the designers are with leech/VP being the path of least resistance to stable endgame defenses. Marrying defense to DPS that closely is really effective and fun but it also incentivizes their making monster damage and HP spiral like crazy in the endgame. It can't be easy to balance without leaving every other mode of defense in the dust.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder how happy the designers are with leech/VP being the path of least resistance to stable endgame defenses. Marrying defense to DPS that closely is really effective and fun but it also incentivizes their making monster damage and HP spiral like crazy in the endgame. It can't be easy to balance without leaving every other mode of defense in the dust.

They aren't but it would take sweeping changes to get rid of it entirely and good luck with player retention in the immediate aftermath.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Nobody is going to quit the game over a(nother) VP nerf, being forced to come up with new builds is half the fun.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'd be okay with a bisco rework so that its not basically a required amulet slot.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

animatorZed posted:

I'd be okay with a bisco rework so that its not basically a required amulet slot.

its already not. its ~10% more drops according to people's spreadsheets. which while nice isn't even better than sadimas

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kild posted:

its already not. its ~10% more drops according to people's spreadsheets. which while nice isn't even better than sadimas

if youre build is already min-maxed for clearspeed there isn't anything better for a neck slot.

10% isn't anything to laugh at

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only time I don't run a biscos (either always on or just for trash) is when my necklace is absolutely mission critical for the build to function, like it has stats to keep gear equipped or 40% resistance or something.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
When I first started playing PoE I was really happy that it wasn't like d2 where you often felt like you had to run a lot of MF and never really ran a setup that just focused on offence and defence when farming (unless you did ubers or farmed for xp). It always felt like you had to, and gimped yourself in the process. I liked the freedom in gearing that PoE gave by not focusing on it so much. Biscos almost doesn't feel like a choice any more, and if it's not a choice it might as well be removed since it could give more interesting gearing alternatives.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

When I first started playing PoE I was really happy that it wasn't like d2 where you often felt like you had to run a lot of MF and never really ran a setup that just focused on offence and defence when farming (unless you did ubers or farmed for xp). It always felt like you had to, and gimped yourself in the process. I liked the freedom in gearing that PoE gave by not focusing on it so much. Biscos almost doesn't feel like a choice any more, and if it's not a choice it might as well be removed since it could give more interesting gearing alternatives.

My name is Rodent and I approve this message

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

it doesn't feel like a choice because its sucked off much like belt of deciever and everyone goes with the flow. there's not many stats on a glove that can't be gotten on an amulet but no one runs around going sadima's doesn't feel like a choice even though its 50% better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
GGG should increase mob density and pack size to 2.6 levels, and then rebalance all drop rates so they match current rates with a bisco's for a whole map, then remove the item or make it so garbage it's never worth running unless in a dedicated MF setup.