Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I was messing around with grimtools a bit and I think I stumbled on to a ridiculous build by accident:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MA0r12

Blitz in for infinite aether damage, Callidors, War Cry and then spam Forcewave at +80% cast speed.

The resists are still a bit iffy because I've changed a few things around and haven't quited updated components/augments yet, but I think you can get capped or close to on everything that matters.

Paired with the absolutely ridiculous damage on particularly Blitz and Callidors, you sit on 18k hp and 22% damage absorbtion from Maiven's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Just cleared Bastion of Chaos. :toot:

Woop woop!

My 50-something vindicator finally gave up his trusty Brimstone Repeater after Modragon kindly gave him Silverbolt , which promptly got changed back to a shotgun at the illusionists.

DPS never seems to mean much - Vindicator now floats around 15-20k, my DK 1-4k, everything not a boss still takes 1-3 hits depending.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

OK, what am I doing wrong;

I've been getting back into the swing of things, took care of Warden Krieg (Thanks Chernobyl Peace Prize for the Mirror of E tip!), and feeling like it's all coming back to me.
However, post-Homestead is kicking my rear end left, right, and center. Not so much the mobs, but the heroes/bosses are a bitch and a half. Bolvar and Sister Bravna in particular managed to pulp me 5 or 8 times each. I think my resistances are OK, and I've finally gotten some empowered unique 1H guns, so my DPS doesn't suck horribly anymore. But it seems like my character has the resilience of wet tissue paper - two hits, and I'm out. So now, I mostly poop mortars, and try to run circles around bosses :/

Statblock for info:

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

inscrutable horse posted:

I've been getting back into the swing of things, took care of Warden Krieg (Thanks Chernobyl Peace Prize for the Mirror of E tip!), and feeling like it's all coming back to me.
However, post-Homestead is kicking my rear end left, right, and center. Not so much the mobs, but the heroes/bosses are a bitch and a half. Bolvar and Sister Bravna in particular managed to pulp me 5 or 8 times each. I think my resistances are OK, and I've finally gotten some empowered unique 1H guns, so my DPS doesn't suck horribly anymore. But it seems like my character has the resilience of wet tissue paper - two hits, and I'm out. So now, I mostly poop mortars, and try to run circles around bosses :/

Statblock for info:

Your health seems low for Ultimate and you really should prioritize capping resists. Low/negative resists will let mobs bring the pain in a big way. It's ok to sacrifice some DPS to get resists up.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Statblock for info:

In my opinion, those resistances are dangerously low for Ultimate and the exact reason why you're getting wiped. I would prioritize nearly capping your resistances before other stats.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hello Grim Dawn goons

I played this game with a friend months ago and got towards the end of the second play thru with a demo/warrior guy with a rifle. It was fun but I just snagged the expansion and was doing some brief reading while it downloads.

Inquis/demo looks like the gun toting death machine I wanted to build the first time around but with the crucible and max level 100 now I hear a lot of talk about fun builds vs truly end game viable builds etc.

If I'm going to spend hours and hours playing a character I wa t to know 30 hours in I'm not going to hit a brick wall because of choices I made 30 hours prior I can't change. Can inquis/demo run whatever people are considering end game now?

Can someone link a build? And if so can you also post a necro/warrior build because I like to pick class combos that sound cool but also have to powergame sperge and be sure I'm min maxing to the fullest.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

In my opinion, those resistances are dangerously low for Ultimate [...]

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

Your health seems low for Ultimate [...]

I'm not quite there yet, still going through Elite, so you might want to factor that into your consideration :)

Also figured out one part of the puzzle: the belt "Anguish", which has a 5%/attack chance of triggering bad times, which becomes distressingly often when you've got a lot of attack speed and engage in an endurance fight.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hi posted:

Hello Grim Dawn goons

I played this game with a friend months ago and got towards the end of the second play thru with a demo/warrior guy with a rifle. It was fun but I just snagged the expansion and was doing some brief reading while it downloads.

Inquis/demo looks like the gun toting death machine I wanted to build the first time around but with the crucible and max level 100 now I hear a lot of talk about fun builds vs truly end game viable builds etc.

If I'm going to spend hours and hours playing a character I wa t to know 30 hours in I'm not going to hit a brick wall because of choices I made 30 hours prior I can't change. Can inquis/demo run whatever people are considering end game now?

Can someone link a build? And if so can you also post a necro/warrior build because I like to pick class combos that sound cool but also have to powergame sperge and be sure I'm min maxing to the fullest.

The good news is, there's basically nothing you can't undo at this point except for your initial class selections.

I don't have any detailed rifle Purifier builds but your general framework will probably be something like:

Max out Inquisitor's Seal and Blast Shield (as these are two of the best defensive buffs in the game at this point, I think, and certainly the two best that you have access to). Temper too.

Focus predominantly on attack/total speed (so points in the base Inquisitor gun skill, Vindictive Flame, and the Kraken devotion) first. Focus then mostly on improving your autoattacks, so points in Fire Strike, or use Shard of Beronath if you prefer and have one, and the various Inquisitor gun procs, and bind a couple of good devotions to these. (I like Elemental Storm as something it's easy to get quite early, though Twin Fangs is a great early choice too even though you're not otherwise focusing on Vitality damage.) Later on supplement with the elemental endgame devotion(s) of your choice.

The rune "mines" that Inquisitor gets are superb, especially early on, and will make your life a lot easier to the tune of a few points when you're starting out. Stun jacks too. You can always buy back the points you invested here when they drop off in stopping power or you decide you don't need them. In my experience, the first 20 or so levels as a gunnery character, and especially as a rifles character, are going to be your most painful. (If you're using the Grim Goon(ette) characters or some other Skip To The End method, ignore this.)

Get the best rifle you can find, and shoot all the things. Season with other skills to taste. You'll want to focus on either fire, lightning, or "elemental" damage.

There are people here with more experience who can probably give you even better advice, but these seem to be the basics.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm not quite there yet, still going through Elite, so you might want to factor that into your consideration :)

Also figured out one part of the puzzle: the belt "Anguish", which has a 5%/attack chance of triggering bad times, which becomes distressingly often when you've got a lot of attack speed and engage in an endurance fight.
Weirdly, (and dahbadu please correct me if I'm entirely wrong here) I feel like Elite was WAY harder than Ultimate for less reward. Like in both situations I was frequently in "spam defensive poo poo and kite across the map" mode but in Elite that would get me a single green while Ultimate is spitting out blues and purples at the exact same level.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

docbeard posted:

The good news is, there's basically nothing you can't undo at this point except for your initial class selections.

I don't have any detailed rifle Purifier builds but your general framework will probably be ...

There are people here with more experience who can probably give you even better advice, but these seem to be the basics.

Well it's good to hear they've got some strong defensive buffs. My worry wasn't that is choose the wrong skills just that like that class combo wasn't considered a wise choice for end game. I can always redo the skills.

How are necro/warrior ? I was considering that or necro/ occult for maximum pets, not sure all pets might be too passive for me, but I worry necro warrior will have to skimp somewhere and will either feel like a very weak warrior or a strong warrior with very weak pets

Edit: I also wonder if an all pet minion master can handle end game... games usually have a hard time w letting pets scale well enough to be competitive end game choices

Hi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 30, 2017

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Weirdly, (and dahbadu please correct me if I'm entirely wrong here) I feel like Elite was WAY harder than Ultimate for less reward. Like in both situations I was frequently in "spam defensive poo poo and kite across the map" mode but in Elite that would get me a single green while Ultimate is spitting out blues and purples at the exact same level.

Yeah, I definitely feel that Elite is far stingier with the cool loot, even compared to normal, but I chalked that up to having already hit all the one-shot chests. But yeah, thinking about how many blues I had picked up at the same time in my normal run (three pages in the stash), to how many I've gotten now (½ of a page), that might also have something to do with it. Of all the loot that's dropped, only three items were an improvement: Emp. Quick-Draw gloves, Runeplate of Ignaffar trousers, and Emp. Oathbreaker. The rest is crap I've been lugging around for the past 15 levels :/

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Hi posted:

Well it's good to hear they've got some strong defensive buffs. My worry wasn't that is choose the wrong skills just that like that class combo wasn't considered a wise choice for end game. I can always redo the skills.

How are necro/warrior ? I was considering that or necro/ occult for maximum pets, not sure all pets might be too passive for me, but I worry necro warrior will have to skimp somewhere and will either feel like a very weak warrior or a strong warrior with very weak pets

Edit: I also wonder if an all pet minion master can handle end game... games usually have a hard time w letting pets scale well enough to be competitive end game choices

Necro/Soldier (Deathknight) has poo poo itemization at upper levels. Go Shaman or Occ with Necro, way better items available. Hybrid pet builds drop off eventually, but both of those combos are active due to laying debuffs, etc. Just don't expect to autoattack.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
How do folks feel about Reaper? Considering a 2-hand cold build centered around bone harvest, amarasta's blade burst, and shadowstrike. Workable?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Grimoire posted:

Necro/Soldier (Deathknight) has poo poo itemization at upper levels. Go Shaman or Occ with Necro, way better items available. Hybrid pet builds drop off eventually, but both of those combos are active due to laying debuffs, etc. Just don't expect to autoattack.

So youd definitely say that the purifier as the stronger end came combo than the cabalist and definitely more so than desthknight? That's reassuring my big fear w a rifle guy was that he would follow the typical rpg nitch of ranged glass cannon big damage no defense.

Still want to run some sort of necro alt with pets though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

How do folks feel about Reaper? Considering a 2-hand cold build centered around bone harvest, amarasta's blade burst, and shadowstrike. Workable?

That's what I'm working on right now: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GWB962

I'm enjoying it so far, but I haven't cleared Act 1 Elite yet*, so I might change my mind once I do.

*After I cleared Normal with my Spellbreaker, I used a tool called gd-edit to make a copy of the character, which I now use as a base for making Level 50 characters to start Elite with.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Hi posted:

So youd definitely say that the purifier as the stronger end came combo than the cabalist and definitely more so than desthknight? That's reassuring my big fear w a rifle guy was that he would follow the typical rpg nitch of ranged glass cannon big damage no defense.

Still want to run some sort of necro alt with pets though.

I mean, setting aside completely different playstyle, I'd say yeah. Purifier is nice and straightforward and has great itemization, good damage output, AOE, and defensive options with WoR, seal, and blast shield. Rifles, dual guns, caster (with offhand), and auramancer are all highly viable - probably wouldn't even need to swap devotions except for Kraken. 2h rifles are perfectly tanky for the main campaign - just bear in mind the hardest crucible difficulty strongly prefers tanky shield casters.

Not that pet builds are bad - they become insane for the main campaign with the right devotions and gear, but aren't good for gladiator crucible (perfectly viable nemesis hunters though).

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

gunning for a venomancer reaper with RE right now. Somehow I feel tankier than a DE witchhunter, but without sacrificing kill speed. There is an endgame set to support BH and ABB if I recall

Of note - bone harvest has a lethal assault like buff, so ABB and BH support each other nicely. The set I mentioned has vit -> acid, and venomancers cowl has cold -> acid soooooooo

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

I have a level 47 Reaper running right now with that same set up except I'm using Spectral Strike from Alkamos's monster infrequent instead of Shadow Strike to free up points.

Edit: It's super workable but you'll need multiple ways to deal with burst damage because you can't really tank.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
You guys weren't kidding about Ultimate loot drops.

I just jumped up to Ultimate and killed the Reanimator for the first quest and it dropped the legendary gloves for the set I want.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Statblock for info:

Without access to your elections / devotions, I can't say, but I'm farting around Elite with a level 66 sorcerer right now that does 10% more DPS (however this is an unreliable stat) and has maxed elemental/bleed resistances with only a couple hundo less health. Those resistances are super critical. How are your defensive devotions? Anything proccing for quick regen or damage absorption? Do you have any chance to evade stacked up?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Without access to your elections / devotions, I can't say, but I'm farting around Elite with a level 66 sorcerer right now that does 10% more DPS (however this is an unreliable stat) and has maxed elemental/bleed resistances with only a couple hundo less health. Those resistances are super critical. How are your defensive devotions? Anything proccing for quick regen or damage absorption? Do you have any chance to evade stacked up?

This should be as up to date as it gets: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2ELXEmN

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So you've got a lot of points in crowd controls and that mortar tree seems point-expensive. You've already got flash freeze to get out of a pinch, Mirror of Ereoctes cooldown mitigation could help too. I would go harder into fewer skills.

Devotions are split a bit between Chaos/Aether, I would pick one non-elemental damage type and stick to it. If you're goin Eldritch from Solael, I would bail on Imp and go into Jackal instead, particularly if you're going to assign chance on attack procs, I've found extra attack speed is huuuuge particularly. You've got Ghoul locked in for attack% to health as well.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
OK guys, here's a very solid HC-viable build I came up with. I've been streaming it over the last couple of weeks, making my way through Ultimate tackling the most difficult content in the game. I have died a couple of times, but it was mainly from stupid poo poo that I could have avoided. If you want to watch it in action (we beat the final boss last night), with non-cheated sub-par gear, you can check out one of my recorded streams on my twitch. I'll post a full build summary/walkthrough video with an ideal gear setup at a later date.

Drain Essence Sigil of Corruption Apostate

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MAvbm2
Built for and tested in end-game Ashes of Malmouth

Notes:
- Good starter build, as you don't need any specific items -- although the Signet of the Damned rings are nice to have.
- The most important items for this build are Signet of the Damned (rings) and Boneweave Leggings.
- Your main attack is Drain Essence (skill) tied to Twing Fangs (devotion). Your red hand of death will melt faces and make you nigh unkillable.
- Keep a Torment relic ready, and swap it in during fights with the Mad Queen and Beast Nemesis.
- Lots of life leech, enough to leech bosses.
- Good resistance shredding.
- Very tanky with lots of DA, high health, and an insane amount of life leech.
- Can put out a ton of damage, single target and AoE. Good clear speed and boss killing.

What's this build do?
Facetank just about everything all the time. Melt enemies around you, draining *all* their life. The screen will come alive with your procs, sigils and seals -- and this is from you just standing still. Most importantly, you also have Skelebros(tm)!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Yeah, I definitely feel that Elite is far stingier with the cool loot, even compared to normal, but I chalked that up to having already hit all the one-shot chests.
You can hit the one-shot chests at each difficulty and have loot commensurate with your level and difficulty in them. So as long as you're lv50+ and in elite, you have a chance at purples. Ultimate is a far better chance.

Re: elite's difficulty, I always felt it was as hard as normal but with +40 levels tacked on everything so I still get xp. I have ~50 levels of skill points and devotions to bash everything to death with and gear that does more than "is a stick" so it always feels like I'm a step ahead of pretty much everything. It's basically normal's victory lap to get you to ultimate so you can proceed to die horribly to everything you haven't (over)capped resistances for.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Ol Standard Retard posted:

So you've got a lot of points in crowd controls and that mortar tree seems point-expensive. You've already got flash freeze to get out of a pinch, Mirror of Ereoctes cooldown mitigation could help too. I would go harder into fewer skills.

Devotions are split a bit between Chaos/Aether, I would pick one non-elemental damage type and stick to it. If you're goin Eldritch from Solael, I would bail on Imp and go into Jackal instead, particularly if you're going to assign chance on attack procs, I've found extra attack speed is huuuuge particularly. You've got Ghoul locked in for attack% to health as well.

Honestly, I feel I'm not getting all that much out of the arcanist side of the masteries as I should have. If I were to do it over, I would have capped arcanist at 25, and spent those points elsewhere :/

Otherwise, yeah, I've been trying out flashbangs and stun jacks for a while, and I don't feel like I'm getting much out of them, so those points are going to be invested elsewhere. The mortar, on the other hand, I feel has been helping out a lot, particularly in slowing down/killing mobs so that I can devote my main attacks to tougher enemies.

My thinking on most of the devotions has been "hey, it adds either flat elemental damage, or a % boost". It's one system I feel is a bit opaque, so any help at all is super appreciated!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Honestly, I feel I'm not getting all that much out of the arcanist side of the masteries as I should have. If I were to do it over, I would have capped arcanist at 25, and spent those points elsewhere :/
Good news, in the expansion you can respec mastery points!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Ultimate Port Valbury done. That was pretty nuts.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my compulsive hoarding of items has outpaced my ability and time available to level a variety of characters to kit out in blues

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Right, so I did a little respeccing, and now it's going a lot better. Lost some ~500 HP, but my damage output went up by 50%, so even if my cannon got slightly glassier, I'm now winning the damage race handily. Celebrated by doing the Hidden Path quests, and creamed the guardians! Success! Now to grind the crucible for better loot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

I started a drain essence guy on hc the other day and it seems pretty great (I went with occultist instead of Inquis for bloody pox and frailty) but do you have issues with it stopping casting while bound to rmb or is that just me? If I have it bound to mouse it'll cast for one tick of damage and then stop channeling. I have to put it on a keyboard key instead and that's kind of annoying.

Still a fun skill and surprisingly good aoe clear speed when it starts chaining.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
just picked up an Empowered Aldur's Inquisition pistol so now my basic attacks at 3.1/sec proc both elemental storm and elemental seal on the target haha

marauder salvo+devil's spread+volley too

glass cannon as gently caress

Right, so I did a little respeccing, and now it's going a lot better. Lost some ~500 HP, but my damage output went up by 50%, so even if my cannon got slightly glassier, I'm now winning the damage race handily. Celebrated by doing the Hidden Path quests, and creamed the guardians! Success! Now to grind the crucible for better loot.

hell yeah welcome to club there's a beer fridge in teh garage

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just picked this up on the sale. I went Shaman/Soldier and am just bashing stuff with a claymore while getting my strength and HP up. Should I really be trying to go for any specific builds yet or just keep going through the game and getting a better feel for it?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

OK guys, here's a very solid HC-viable build I came up with. I've been streaming it over the last couple of weeks, making my way through Ultimate tackling the most difficult content in the game. I have died a couple of times, but it was mainly from stupid poo poo that I could have avoided. If you want to watch it in action (we beat the final boss last night), with non-cheated sub-par gear, you can check out one of my recorded streams on my twitch. I'll post a full build summary/walkthrough video with an ideal gear setup at a later date.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MAvbm2
Built for and tested in end-game Ashes of Malmouth

Notes:
- Good starter build, as you don't need any specific items -- although the Signet of the Damned rings are nice to have.
- The most important items for this build are Signet of the Damned (rings) and Boneweave Leggings.
- Your main attack is Drain Essence (skill) tied to Twing Fangs (devotion). Your red hand of death will melt faces and make you nigh unkillable.
- Keep a Torment relic ready, and swap it in during fights with the Mad Queen and Beast Nemesis.
- Lots of life leech, enough to leech bosses.
- Good resistance shredding.
- Very tanky with lots of DA, high health, and an insane amount of life leech.
- Can put out a ton of damage, single target and AoE. Good clear speed and boss killing.

What's this build do?
Facetank just about everything all the time. Melt enemies around you, draining *all* their life. The screen will come alive with your procs, sigils and seals -- and this is from you just standing still. Most importantly, you also have Skelebros(tm)!

So I was messing around with something similar on grimtools the other day, but I was looking at either Cabalist or Ritualist for curse/sigil/solael's/blood of dreeg or swarm/mogdrogen's/totems as support skills respectively. Is there a specific reason you felt Apostate was stronger than either of those? It seems like both of the others also synergize pretty decently with the gear you're already running.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I just 5 shot The Sentinel in Hardcore Veteran with this Reaper build: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GWrGl2

I have a new favorite build.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Friendly reminder that if you're getting beat up by a specific boss (or fear said boss and want to take out insurance), there are a bevy of performance-enhancing drugs elixirs at your disposal. I beat the expansion's final boss on my first try thanks to getting rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrripped on potions. I think I had seven in total going right before I Blitzed in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So thanks to a friend explaining the Necromancer I took the plunge and am really enjoying this game. So many skellingtons. :buddy:

1.) Can I keep throwing lots of skeletons at everyone and remain viable? My Diablo 2 Necromancer kept losing his minions too quickly and I was never really able to make decent progress there.

2.) Is there an easier, simpler way to manage these hundreds of components that drop? They don't automatically stack or anything, which is a giant pain in the arse.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

poptart_fairy posted:

2.) Is there an easier, simpler way to manage these hundreds of components that drop? They don't automatically stack or anything, which is a giant pain in the arse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, I never noticed that. :stare:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

poptart_fairy posted:

So thanks to a friend explaining the Necromancer I took the plunge and am really enjoying this game. So many skellingtons. :buddy:

1.) Can I keep throwing lots of skeletons at everyone and remain viable? My Diablo 2 Necromancer kept losing his minions too quickly and I was never really able to make decent progress there.

For 1) You'll probably want to pick up Occultist or Shaman as a second mastery to get more pets and more buffs for your pets. Pet builds are viable the whole way through the game, though Skeletons alone probably aren't.

Late game, you can use the Lost Souls set and get +1 summon limit to Raise Skeletons and +1 to Hellhound, which helps with building an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers, I'm just kind of throwing my skillpoints and devotion around at the moment to see what sticks. Going with the Shephard and Bat devotion wise seems like a good start, and I'm maxing out skeletons with that acid beast. Only level 22 so I expect the difficulty to ramp up this feels the way to go so far.