Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sunning posted:

The press releases says it's an open world action game. It's probably going to be a Witcher 3 style game.

Looks like it's set during the Mongol invasion of Japan. The Marco Polo season 3 we never got?

My god, this would be great.

I used google translate...

"Here, Gokiburi."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/925058760120320002
:getin:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So can we change our PSN names yet lol

PSX
fart my turds

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol no one understands that loving game at all

there's a reason it ends from ellie's perspective, guys

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SOTC remake looks fantastic, I'll still maintain that something seems lost in translation in regards to Team Ico's style though. I' m still really excited for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

there's a reason it ends from ellie's perspective, guys

yeah she was looking at you and thinking "drat, this guy kind of missed the point"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

so you have an actual point to make or are you just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason

e: oh wait it's vvv, I know the answer

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
David Cage's writing is as subtle and natural as always, I see.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Detroit looks bugfuck crazy and probably dumb as hell but you know what?? I'm in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

so you have an actual point to make or are you just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason

e: oh wait it's vvv, I know the answer

There is a ton of gray area you have to ignore to come to that conclusion. To walk away thinking the "the entire point of the first game is that "he's a terrible, broken, selfish person who sacrifices the world for his only human connection against that person's will." You basically have to assume the fireflies are capable of what they intend to do (unlikely, the game hints at this multiple times) and that the fireflies are justified in killing Ellie without her permission. I don't get where you came up with Joel saving Ellie being against her will. They never asked her if they could kill her. So, is Joel selfish? Yeah, sure. he was also probably in the right. There is definitely gray area there. Joel's selfishness is absolutely not the "point" of the game at all though.

Sorry for giving you grief, you just seem a little smug about your assumptions about the game, which imo are pretty off, so I'm giving it back.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I swear to god if she cant swim in the sequel im gonna freak out

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The point of the game was the blatent ladder and bin product placement actually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Leyburn posted:

The point of the game was the blatent ladder and bin product placement actually.

Come to Joes Discount Ladders and Fire Escapes. Bottom half sold separately. Hopefully someone is around to give you a boost.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Hopefully someone is around to give you a boost.

There are as many "character gives another character a boost" in ND games as there are "kick down a ladder" shortcuts in soulsborne games

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was done but whatever, "the Fireflies couldn't do it" has consistently, since the game came out, been some hot tactical realism bullshit meant to absolve Joel. I've gone through all those audiologs multiple times, the game doesn't suggest it strongly at all. The closest it comes is like "we've never seen anything like this!!!" which, duh, that's the point of Ellie's specialness. Also, the Fireflies might not know what Ellie wants, but the point is that Joel does. I think it's muddied a little bit, understandably, by Ellie being fourteen.

I'm not even really saying that Joel shouldn't have taken Ellie. I'm instead saying that he's just not a good person. When I played the ending it resonated with me because I had projected myself onto Joel as the main character, and was shocked when he acted in ways I disagreed with, but that's not the point. The real point of the ending is its ambiguity between trust and distrust, lies and truth, what's justifiable and what isn't just to survive, on both sides. The last shot before the final cutscene is Ellie looking up at Joel, cast in shadow by the sun: she can't recognize him. On some level she probably knows what he's done, but whether she accepts his lie or doesn't is up to the viewer (an ambiguity the sequel kind of ruins just by existing, sadly). It's complex, it's meaningful. And saying there's no grey to Joel's actions, that there was never a chance of success, that Ellie should just thank him, shits all over that.

e: man what a good game

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Spelunky 2 should have been part of the showcase presentation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arist posted:

it's muddied a little bit, understandably, by Ellie being fourteen.

I consider that fundamental.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

actually, yeah, you're probably right about that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arist posted:

I was done but whatever, "the Fireflies couldn't do it" has consistently, since the game came out, been some hot tactical realism bullshit meant to absolve Joel. I've gone through all those audiologs multiple times, the game doesn't suggest it strongly at all. The closest it comes is like "we've never seen anything like this!!!" which, duh, that's the point of Ellie's specialness. Also, the Fireflies might not know what Ellie wants, but the point is that Joel does. I think it's muddied a little bit, understandably, by Ellie being fourteen.

I'm not even really saying that Joel shouldn't have taken Ellie. I'm instead saying that he's just not a good person. When I played the ending it resonated with me because I had projected myself onto Joel as the main character, and was shocked when he acted in ways I disagreed with, but that's not the point. The real point of the ending is its ambiguity between trust and distrust, lies and truth, what's justifiable and what isn't just to survive, on both sides. The last shot before the final cutscene is Ellie looking up at Joel, cast in shadow by the sun: she can't recognize him. On some level she probably knows what he's done, but whether she accepts his lie or doesn't is up to the viewer (an ambiguity the sequel kind of ruins just by existing, sadly). It's complex, it's meaningful. And saying there's no grey to Joel's actions, that there was never a chance of success, that Ellie should just thank him, shits all over that.

e: man what a good game

I don't disagree with most of this but it also contradicts your previous posts. The point about knowing what Ellie wants is moot because no one actually knows, because they didn't ask.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

Detroit looks bugfuck crazy and probably dumb as hell but you know what?? I'm in.

:same:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Even Easy-Allies speak of PSVR like it was the 2014-era Vita and dying off joke and it's no wonder, only VR sites and VR forums and VR threads talk VR, games media ignores it, and long games, and now hard games. It's making Sony more money than Sony Pictures.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MrLonghair posted:

Even Easy-Allies speak of PSVR like it was the 2014-era Vita and dying off joke and it's no wonder, only VR sites and VR forums and VR threads talk VR, games media ignores it, and long games, and now hard games. It's making Sony more money than Sony Pictures.

I cannot decipher the strange grammar of this post.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

The point about knowing what Ellie wants is moot because no one actually knows, because they didn't ask.

She's a traumatized child who would definitely have chosen to sacrifice herself. It's unethical to even put the question to her.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Read the forums with a psvr and you’ll see.

Monster hunter looks kind of cool and i’ll keep an eye on it. TLoU and SotC are great games but i’m not really hype for a sequel or remake. They both seem kind of unnecessary. But SotC music is amazing and i’m glad they kept the same song for the intro.
Those are my takes. Good night.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think asking the question of "will the cure work" in the last of us is like intensely silly. if you played through the game and strung along with the plot thinking "it's totally realistic and possible to mass produce this theoretical cure and then also distribute it and also that's going to bring order back to society" i really dont know what to say about that

they might as well have been throwing her into a sinkhole to appease god

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

rabidsquid posted:

Based on the new trailer, I think you just spoiled the plot of TLOU 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it kind of goes off the rails in the middle there, but I think he's saying that the general gaming public talks about VR like a failed experiment, and gaming media doesn't even acknowledge it outside of VR focused sites. meanwhile a bunch of people are buying it and it's getting/has gotten a ton of releases.

Tbh I think he was responding to something in the VR thread and posted it here though :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rabidsquid posted:

i think asking the question of "will the cure work" in the last of us is like intensely silly. if you played through the game and strung along with the plot thinking "it's totally realistic and possible to mass produce this theoretical cure and then also distribute it and also that's going to bring order back to society" i really dont know what to say about that

I think this is a weird assumption that has nothing to do with the plot or themes of the game and everything to do with you bringing a bunch of outside knowledge. That's not even a plot hole it's just a refusal to take the game at its word for no reason. There's no actual reason to think about it in this way, because the game doesn't comment on it at all and if you do there's no game.

e: If your complaint is "why doesn't the game address this" then that's at least a criticism, but I suspect that's not where you're going with this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me it seems that you are conflating the games intent with what The Fireflies say. The organization on it's last legs, that does not seem to have the means to do any of what they intend to and also just double crossed the gently caress out of Joel and Ellie.

honest question. What about the game makes you think the game 'at it's word" is what the Fireflies have told Joel and Ellie? I think that narrative serves at the setup, but i don't think it's intended as a conclusion.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 30, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i didnt call it a plot hole :confused: i thought it was pretty well clear the fireflies were at best delusional and at worst full of poo poo

edit: this is 100% addressing all plot discussion revolving around the ending and "but what about the cure :downs:"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The game very clearly skips over a lot of the establishment of the Fireflies because once you find them the game's almost over but I think that a story in which there was no chance of success whatsoever is much weaker and less interesting, so I'm willing to extend the benefit of the doubt pretty far in that direction.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you are horribly wrong, but I guess how much of a honey pot the ending of TLOU is just shows how good it was.

Fwiw I would have agreed with you the first time I played it, but on my second I felt very different about the Fireflies and thought they were a bunch of incompetent shitheads who deserved to get annihilated. I personally think the point of that scenario was that there wasn't really a right or wrong. it was more us vs them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fireflies are a bunch of goddamn tourists.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Assuming they're 100% wrong and unable to do anything they say, I think that's actually kind of a problem that makes me like the game less, not because I want them to be right but because it makes the situation way simpler and less interesting. They should probably have addressed some of the specifics of their plan in the game, though.

But also Joel doesn't know or care any about any of this so it's not even all that relevant to the choice he makes, so whatever.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

exquisite tea posted:

For me his games just get worse with every release. Indigo Prophecy was pretty good, Heavy Rain had good environments bit a horrendous story, and Beyond: Two Souls was worst of all.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I love that a Playstation presentation, about new games, sparks a heated discussion about what people were thinking and meant in TLOU. Again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Guessing I'm not alone in feeling that scene (tlou2 trailer) was a bit much? Don't really want to play that game anymore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Arist posted:

Assuming they're 100% wrong and unable to do anything they say, I think that's actually kind of a problem that makes me like the game less, not because I want them to be right but because it makes the situation way simpler and less interesting. They should probably have addressed some of the specifics of their plan in the game, though.

But also Joel doesn't know or care any about any of this so it's not even all that relevant to the choice he makes, so whatever.

whether or not they're capable is irrelevant though, both sides were always going to do what they set out to do facts be damned. i dont think that makes it the least bit less compelling.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Guessing I'm not alone in feeling that scene (tlou2 trailer) was a bit much? Don't really want to play that game anymore.

it was very unpleasant!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rinkles posted:

It was definitely gross for gross's sake and off-putting like that one Tomb Raider trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rinkles posted:

I agree for the record