Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I do still think that the game is better now (with the exception of the parts of the map which fall into the Ming Exclusion Zone) due to AI and other general gameplay improvements, but the actual DLC content has been getting less interesting as the new systems are becoming more and more 'bolted on' feeling. Like, development was a total rethink of base tax, and estates were a completely new concept in how you manage your provinces (though in actual gameplay they end up not being terribly exciting), wheras ages are literally just another "build up currency and exchange it for bonuses" system and edicts are essentially slightly tweaked province decisions from EU3.

sure the AI and general improvements are nice, but I just had much more fun and many more "one more year..." moments that turned into 5 hours later still saying "one more year" back then. Now I play the game for a few minutes, decide I can't be hosed with it, and quit again.

edit: actually is it still possible to just opt into an older version of the game and play art of war era eu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You can play old patches via the steam betas feature. The AI improvements in the last few patches have been the only thing keeping me playing the game; the hyper passive AI was totally killing it for me (and I am very excited to see the new 1.23 AI with a stronger focus on growing its economy through buildings).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

You can play old patches via the steam betas feature. The AI improvements in the last few patches have been the only thing keeping me playing the game; the hyper passive AI was totally killing it for me (and I am very excited to see the new 1.23 AI with a stronger focus on growing its economy through buildings).

Does that roll back everything? I heard there were issues with it in the past.

And yeah I'm sure I'll try the new ai again

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Was going to wait until the new patch was out but was really eager to get a game in. Playing the Aztecs for the first time since institutions has been pretty fun so far, it’s 1530 and colonialism just spawned though, so it may be a while before I “westernize”.

And I was having fun...until I went to war with a Mayan State. I had 10 more discipline, more morale better tech, comparable leader and army size. When the first battle started, I made sure to even get defenders advantage on hills. Who won the battles? Well they did obviously since I rolled 4 zeros in a row and they never rolled below a 7. Despite really loving this game, the basic combat in this game is still such massive rear end. Especially considering how much has been added in expansions with combat itself being tweaked but not overhauled.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Drone posted:

As much as I think the DLC model (which borders on software-as-a-service) is not a bad thing, I think it's going to bite Paradox in the rear end real hard when it comes time to make the next sequels for the current DLC-focused games (CK2, EU4, HOI4). Granted that time is probably several years down the road, but at some point the Clausewitz engine will need a replacement, and Paradox will be forced to somehow pare back all of these features into a single $39 title, which will be impossible to do.

Like Johan said, the only real way forward with sequels to those titles is if there is a complete sea change in their design philosophies, which... kinda can't happen very easily in the strategy market. I mean, look at Civ 5 -> Civ 6 as a good example, with tons of fans of the series saying that they recommend sticking with the previous version, even to this day. And Civ 5 only got 2 expansions, where CK2 has had 14 and EU4 has 12.

I dunno, people were saying the same about EU3 vs EU4 for a while but I don't think it actually affected sales that much except for the most hardcore among the Paradox fans- and EU4's sold more than a million copies, so I dunno if those players are actually as representative of the normal player as the impression we get makes them out to be. Honestly I think going down this path until they squeeze the game dry, without consolidating the stuff properly, might actually be a good thing (for Paradox, maybe not us) in terms of making a sequel. It'll be much easier to sell it as a huge sweeping change if there's genuinely tons of systems that have been consolidated well.

Plus I do think there's some big changes they can still do for an EU5 that will feel huge. Revamping combat, colonialism, trade- all things that have been pretty untouched since launch or EU3. Dynamic trade especially (and making the AI take advantage of trade more) would make for a pretty different game. The whole design philosophy as well- my impression is they've been going to a huge amount of effort to make the game less Eurocentric, in a way that I don't think was on their radar when the game was first being developed. So a new title with that in mind from the get-go could be a big change. Also other stuff like areas taking a lot of the slack away from provinces (which I think they've seemed to be doing a bit of now, but maybe a whole new game would be where they could take advantage of it totally, maybe even for better performance too if a lot of the tasks are offloaded into the fewer-in-number areas).

There are lots of places they can go, and especially if they focus more on regional DLC as EU4 gets older so they don't have to do these core system changes that they could be working into an EU5 then I don't think moving forward in the series is gonna be as hopeless as a lot of people say.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It works just fine in my experience, but then I never had any issues with it before so I dunno. Only annoying thing is it wipes your minimap buttons if you go back to the patch before they revamped those.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

And yeah I'm sure I'll try the new ai again

Can't you just turn off all expansions after common sense and still play basically the same game? Or do you have some kind of preference for the old fort system?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Can't you just turn off all expansions after common sense and still play basically the same game? Or do you have some kind of preference for the old fort system?

I don't actually know if I prefer the old fort system, probably would rather have the new one, but I imagine there were a lot of changes without the expansions since then. Development and stuff right.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't actually know if I prefer the old fort system, probably would rather have the new one, but I imagine there were a lot of changes without the expansions since then. Development and stuff right.

Development instead of base tax was in the same patch as the fort system. Other than that, the only super major patch change since then I can think of off the top of my head is institutions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For me the biggest thing holding EU4 back right now is how much micromanagement is required for a game of such a massive scale, particularly when it comes to the military. That's the kind of paradigm shift I'd like to see in EU5. For now at least they could apply a bandaid solution and just let you give armies AI missions like you can with navies.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like MEIOU and Taxes its great I've learned it

this is how EU should've been, minus the performance issues and national tree counting

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

EU4's country management married with Vicky 2 pops, CK2 characters, HoI combat and Stellaris'... Dunno, aligment system..?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you wan't HoI combat in any other period but WW2?

Or CK2 characters outside of Feudalism?

EU4 + Vikky 2 is pretty much MEIOU and its a little crazy

it does the whole "this country is transitioning from feudalism to colonialism/imperialism" way better than EU4 stock does

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Paradox would find a way!

Plus drawing arrows on maps and watching your guys do their thing is fun. Fiddly province hopping isn't particularly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Drawing arrows and pressing the win button actually is not fun

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nuh uh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yuh huh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

Plus I do think there's some big changes they can still do for an EU5 that will feel huge. Revamping combat, colonialism, trade- all things that have been pretty untouched since launch or EU3. Dynamic trade especially (and making the AI take advantage of trade more) would make for a pretty different game.
A big thing which touches on all of these is really the strategic layer of combat. If your ability to actually wage war in a region was to a great degree dependent on your trade presence, it'd create a very different dynamic for colonization. In the Americas, the Caribbean would become very important for establishing a foothold in the Americas which you can then leverage into mainland conquest, since you'd need to invest much less to get a nice profitable presence - encouraging a historical colonization pattern through game mechanics. Similarly, opening up a trade presence in Asia would be the first step towards conquest, as opposed to massive conquest being a way to open up trade.

Koramei posted:

Also other stuff like areas taking a lot of the slack away from provinces (which I think they've seemed to be doing a bit of now, but maybe a whole new game would be where they could take advantage of it totally, maybe even for better performance too if a lot of the tasks are offloaded into the fewer-in-number areas).
Yeah, it probably wouldn't hurt to take a cue from Victoria there and more consciously divide the purposes of provinces vs. areas/states. One for troop movements/warfare/forts, the other for development/trade/coring, which would give Paradox much more freedom to implement various mountain passes and poo poo, without at the same time making an area unduly important from an economic perspective. Though the development side of things and how it relates to coring/AE/conversion would probably not be hurt by being much more flexible, so the system can deal with huge massively rich Chinese provinces (which can easily be equivalent to entire medium-sized countries in Europe), and tiny garbage provinces, without misrepresenting either.

Phi230 posted:

it does the whole "this country is transitioning from feudalism to colonialism/imperialism" way better than EU4 stock does
I really hope that this is the basic design objective for EU4, having that transition being something the player can really feel through the course of the game. From a game mechanic point of view it's pretty much perfect, since the in-game result is increasing the player's options as the game goes on, plus it encourages the developers to really think about the progression of various features of the period - and how this can be turned into interesting and evolving game play.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean in MEIOU, at least in my France game, I started as a poo poo farming medieval hellscape that couldn't balance a budget or do poo poo really

fast forward 300 years, I'm making bank from the colonies and have a standing army 3x the size of anyone else in Europe and unified France (annexing Provence last I played)

I'm really a renaissance France now, I alternate between beating up the Iberians and beating up the HRE

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Trin Tragula finally brought up some China changes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cradle-of-civilization-and-ming.1052229/&sdpDevPosts=1

pretty disappointing though, he says what happens depends on how the rest of the world is doing but in my experience China really doesn't care about that. I guess it could have an effect though, we'll see.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A big thing which touches on all of these is really the strategic layer of combat. If your ability to actually wage war in a region was to a great degree dependent on your trade presence, it'd create a very different dynamic for colonization. In the Americas, the Caribbean would become very important for establishing a foothold in the Americas which you can then leverage into mainland conquest, since you'd need to invest much less to get a nice profitable presence - encouraging a historical colonization pattern through game mechanics. Similarly, opening up a trade presence in Asia would be the first step towards conquest, as opposed to massive conquest being a way to open up trade.

More to do with colonization and trade empires and stuff is my biggest wish for this series. It's the era of European global expansion, where most of the major European powers competed for (and had their fortunes decided by) incredibly lucrative trade, but so many players are content to just sit on their asses in Europe the entire game while ignoring everything else. Paradox has modeled the whole world in excruciating detail, but for the most part they all just act as discrete regions without too much interaction. Whereas in history this was the era of globalization, where the discovery of the Americas had enormous ripple effects over the entirety of Eurasia. Asian trade is also just piss poor until suddenly it's extremely overpowered after you've spent centuries investing in it; your comment about how opening trade there should lead to more is spot on, it's completely backwards, plus the AI isn't really capable of doing it. Eurasian trade stuff done with some kind of peacetime mechanic, i.e. without directly shipping over a hundred thousand European line infantry into Zanzibar, would both make more sense and maybe mean the AI could actually do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DDRJake has also mentioned that China won't accept tributary requests from very distant countries anymore. (He remarked on this in a stream after noticing that he could become a tributary as the Great Horde in like 1450)

I dunno how many of ming's AI tributaries ask to be one instead of being asked, so I dunno how impactful this will really be. This will only reduce tributary numbers if the AI actually asks to become one. My fear is that the only thing this will do is make it impossible for outsiders to become a tributary if they want to declare war on other tributaries without intervention.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I messed around with modding it a bit, and there's a few problems with fixing the Ming that aren't immediately apparent. Like, do you know how taking the Mandate is a trap? The AI doesn't seem to understand this, and they really cannot handle being celestial emperor without the Ming's base. So you end up with things like "Japan defeats Ming and takes 4 provinces and the mandate. Japan is now boned." To say nothing of the fact that just causing the Ming to decline properly without some kind of direct hit to them is kind of a chore in itself, since the AI doesn't really seem to like rebelling against them/attacking them in their weakness, so you need them to have something like several doomstacks of rebels and almost no army for them to consider it.

Put simply, it seems like the AI in its current state isn't really capable of handling the situation in East Asia.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

Was going to wait until the new patch was out but was really eager to get a game in. Playing the Aztecs for the first time since institutions has been pretty fun so far, it’s 1530 and colonialism just spawned though, so it may be a while before I “westernize”.

And I was having fun...until I went to war with a Mayan State. I had 10 more discipline, more morale better tech, comparable leader and army size. When the first battle started, I made sure to even get defenders advantage on hills. Who won the battles? Well they did obviously since I rolled 4 zeros in a row and they never rolled below a 7. Despite really loving this game, the basic combat in this game is still such massive rear end. Especially considering how much has been added in expansions with combat itself being tweaked but not overhauled.

What was the size difference in armies?

I mean, freak losses did happen historically. It's annoying, but it's realistic. Not every battle is Caesar at Alesia.

AnoHito posted:

Put simply, it seems like the AI in its current state isn't really capable of handling the situation in East Asia.

Well, that's kinda historically accurate in a roundabout way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rapner posted:

kinda historically accurate in a roundabout way.

New thread title.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
im an idiot and i ruined a chievo run

Was sitting around as a horde too peaceful for too long while i developed a province up to 30 so I could sell it to a neighbor, conquer it back, then raze it.

Turns out the AI does know how to raze things because by the time i got it back it was not at 30 dev.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fister Roboto posted:

For me the biggest thing holding EU4 back right now is how much micromanagement is required for a game of such a massive scale, particularly when it comes to the military. That's the kind of paradigm shift I'd like to see in EU5. For now at least they could apply a bandaid solution and just let you give armies AI missions like you can with navies.

Hoi4 wants to have a word with you

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DDRJake has also mentioned that China won't accept tributary requests from very distant countries anymore. (He remarked on this in a stream after noticing that he could become a tributary as the Great Horde in like 1450)

I dunno how many of ming's AI tributaries ask to be one instead of being asked, so I dunno how impactful this will really be. This will only reduce tributary numbers if the AI actually asks to become one. My fear is that the only thing this will do is make it impossible for outsiders to become a tributary if they want to declare war on other tributaries without intervention.

This only fixes the player strategy of becoming immune to coalitions/dows by becoming a Ming tributary. I can see why they would do that, since it was really easy to abuse in India an the middle east.
The event frequency wont fix anything and this diplo change wont either. Asia will still be a boring poo poo fest and it's just ever so slightly harder to become a tributary so you can start eating tributaries.

At this point they should just change it so that every tributaries liberty desire goes up based on the total amount of base tax from all tributaries. If Ming doesn't acquire new lands but simply spheres everything, it should become unstable and tributaries should band against them.

Paradox' current approach goes into the "implement it in a DLC and forget it exists" theme we've been seeing. Like they feel they need to spend all their time on new features so they can sell something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Hoi4 wants to have a word with you

Yeah, I'd love to have something like HoI4's system.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
in hoi4 you're nothing more than a division designer who clicks attack

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hello Paradox people, I have not played this game in many years and am having to learn everything again. I am a bit perplexed as to how to work with the state system.

I'm playing as Muscovy who starts the game with 8/8 states and a few territories. I've smashed Novgorod and taken some of their valuable provinces, however each one has a 75% minimum autonomy because they are territories.

So how do I become a big blob? From what I've read you don't get more states until admin tech 8. So it would seem then that taking new provinces is not going to be profitable for a fair while. Would it be beneficial to turn some of my lesser value provinces back into territories so I can make my newer and more valuable provinces states?

Sorry if I've overlooked something, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is Ming and tributaries still bullshit? Are they fixing it with the next expansion? It's the deciding factor on if I'l buying it or not.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

krampster2 posted:

Hello Paradox people, I have not played this game in many years and am having to learn everything again. I am a bit perplexed as to how to work with the state system.

I'm playing as Muscovy who starts the game with 8/8 states and a few territories. I've smashed Novgorod and taken some of their valuable provinces, however each one has a 75% minimum autonomy because they are territories.

So how do I become a big blob? From what I've read you don't get more states until admin tech 8. So it would seem then that taking new provinces is not going to be profitable for a fair while. Would it be beneficial to turn some of my lesser value provinces back into territories so I can make my newer and more valuable provinces states?

It's worth looking in advance at the regions you're conquering so that you don't waste a state slot on some crappy 15 dev total area, but usually you don't want to swap between states and territories much as it costs extra admin points.

Node posted:

Is Ming and tributaries still bullshit? Are they fixing it with the next expansion? It's the deciding factor on if I'l buying it or not.

Probably but they have confirmed to have nerfed Ming a tiny bit. I'd guess we will be getting full patch notes next week so I suppose we can see if they've done anything to make tributaries actually work in a non-gamebreaking way.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I keep getting events during every hostile siege telling me to give up. Sometimes multiple times on the same fort level 0, 1 month siege. I can't find any evidence that I'm in a disaster, nor is there a country modifier that's explaining this. What's going on?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

krampster2 posted:

You should still blob, you just won't get as much benefit until you can state those provinces. And that's okay.

The administrative idea group gives some extra states and is excellent anyway

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

krampster2 posted:

Once you form Russia, you become an empire instead of a duchy and that gives a bunch more states. It also fired events that give you a large number of permanent claims in the south as well as the powerful Siberian Frontier ability, which lets you colonize Siberia with no colonists and just a handful of diplomatic points in like half a century.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Xinder posted:

im an idiot and i ruined a chievo run

Was sitting around as a horde too peaceful for too long while i developed a province up to 30 so I could sell it to a neighbor, conquer it back, then raze it.

Turns out the AI does know how to raze things because by the time i got it back it was not at 30 dev.

Serves you right you cheater. Raze Beijing like any true barbarian with that chievo.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep on expanding then and try to form Russia

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Don't forget to press the Strelsky button, it's overpowered. In general Russian nations are very good right now, if you own the DLC.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
new dev diary on some online fixes: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-31st-of-october-2017.1052692/

apparently hot join might actually work now.

also he teased one of the new buildings; apparently there are gonna be 2 in this patch:

in other news, it's the 500th anniversary of the reformation. I haven't done an HRE game in a long-rear end time so I guess I have a task for tonight

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Valiantman posted:

Once you form Russia, you become an empire instead of a duchy and that gives a bunch more states. It also fired events that give you a large number of permanent claims in the south as well as the powerful Siberian Frontier ability, which lets you colonize Siberia with no colonists and just a handful of diplomatic points in like half a century.

It'll also let you colonize Africa if you can carve a path down there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Can someone recommend me a start? I'm kind of sick of europe and want a new challenge. I like unifying cultural groups but I dislike colonizing if that helps

• Locked thread