Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

what I remember in 96 was some very early arcade emulation, pre-MAME where you had like "the pac-man emulator" etc. decent emulation of systems like atari 2600 and colecovision and maybe some very janky NES/SNES/Genesis emulation that was more proof of concept than playable. Also yeah later on that guy's CPS1 emulator was amazing, I remember becoming obsessed with carrier air wing during that time

edit: also remember around that time first learning about foreign computers like the sam coupe and MSX through emulators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I remember trying iNES before Nesticle. It was shareware (I want to say it had a timer or sound disabled) and slow as hell.

Nesticle really changed things. ZSNES felt like a big jump when that first came out, too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Did someone want to build a Consolized Neo Geo MVS that looked like this?

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/neo-geo-mvs-mv1c-consolisation-cmvs/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

instead of consolizing I would really recommend you get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152257119363

or these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152235391790

depending on budget, and the Neo-Geo mainboard of your choice. Yes, it's a little messier and takes some more time to initially set up (I'll be happy to explain everything) but you open up a whole world of arcade stuff beyond the Neo-Geo system. These little supergun boards, particularly the first one I linked, make what used to be kinda complicated and expensive very simple and cheap.

e: also since everything is screw terminals and stuff you can easily build an enclosure for the supergun if you want it in a box

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Oh no no no. Exactly as written, I remember it very fondly but it was also the loving worst. That was still in the era where cutting out sound dramatically affects the speed of emulation. A Penguin 75 was loving horseshit, but it ran that ... ehhh... emu from the Nesticle/Genecyst crew? (can’t remember the name) that played CPS1 games and had the CPS Changer version of Street Fighter Alpha that I could still play with my “gameport” Sidewinder, so that was rad.

Callus, I believe?

And yeah, I remember when running an emulator in DOS rather than Windows mattered for performance, as did things like enabling sound. Even your choice of emulator mattered; I remember pretty clearly noticing a performance difference between KGen and Genecyst, for example (in favor of the former).

It was still balls-out as heck to be running Sonic 2 (and Vectorman 2) on your PC for free, without having had to buy a Genesis console and pay for the cartridge, of course.

Errata:

I'm also reminded that the "8.3" character filename limit of DOS probably would have made ROM file management near impossible once you were dealing with naming more than a few ROMs in a directory (probably greatest hits stuff, in the case of the Genesis, like the Sonic series, Golden Axe, Streets Of Rage, and so on).

It makes me wonder if there was ever a DOS-based emulator front-end or ROM manager that would allow the user to create a menu of loadable ROMs, aliased with full game names while referencing the actual DOS filename of the ROM image when invoking the emulator. It seems like something that would have been used, if only for a brief period, back in the day.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

And yeah, I remember when running an emulator in DOS rather than Windows mattered for performance,

Up until like 1998 or so I remember spending most of my time in DOS, because that's where you did pretty much everything game related unless you wanted to play some point and click macromedia game. Once games started being made specifically for windows that changed though, but I remember like all emulation tools and copier/backup stuff were very much DOS-centric for a long time, and windows was just where you went to use netscape

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Stick with that. The gain in quality on a PVM most likely isn't that pronounced and the risks and costs that come with shipping a CRT when you have one that does the same stuff aren't worth it imo.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If your TV already has an RGB input (that is, the SCART-like plug, not just component/YPbPr plugs), then you would probably be wasting money on a PVM. Especially when you factor in shipping costs to where you're at, and dealing with anything going wrong in transit or down the line.

Yeah, the shipping isn't as big of a risk in Japan as it is in North America. I want to say couriers are in general more careful and respectful of packages, but with old tech like this a slight bump in the wrong place could throw the whole thing out of whack.
The only thing I don't like about my TV is that it's one of the 480p models, so Wii looks really nice but I mostly play SNES, PS1 and non progressive PS2 games. I could track down a 480i Trinitron pretty easily here but my wife would not be happy with me having another huge heavy CRT in our apartment.
Lots of the Trinitrons here from the early 2000s have an "AV Multi" port that looks like the console end of a PS1/2 AV cable, for it's RGB input. I've got an adapter to break it out into a JP21 female so I can run my old stuff into it fine. I feel like SNES could look more accurate without the line doubling but, in the grand scheme of things, probably not worth all of the potential costs getting another CRT right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

what I remember in 96 was some very early arcade emulation, pre-MAME where you had like "the pac-man emulator" etc. decent emulation of systems like atari 2600 and colecovision and maybe some very janky NES/SNES/Genesis emulation that was more proof of concept than playable. Also yeah later on that guy's CPS1 emulator was amazing, I remember becoming obsessed with carrier air wing during that time

edit: also remember around that time first learning about foreign computers like the sam coupe and MSX through emulators

Yeah MAME itself came out of "MultiPac", which was originally designed to play Pac-Man and any priated/licensed game that used the same board with different ROMs. I think the first version of that was out in 1996, but the guy'd already got the idea from other programs that did the same.

And I similarly had no idea about computers like that and the ZX Spectrum besides from emulators at the start. I would just always wonder why sometimes you had to do really weird key combos or the controls would be in bizarre locations on the keyboard...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Callus, I believe?

Oh maaaaaaan that takes me back, I haven't thought of that in ages. :allears:

It's also weird to think of a time when turning off sound gave huge performance boosts to emulators which brought them close to playable speed, I specifically remember being thrilled when I got the pendulum at the start of Chrono Trigger to move pretty smoothly in Snes9x

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is there a PS1 or PS2 controller that had a decent D-Pad? Playing 2D PS1 games such as The Raiden Project and Castlevania Symphony of the Night with the standard controller really hurts my thumb during long sessions.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wafflemoose posted:

Is there a PS1 or PS2 controller that had a decent D-Pad? Playing 2D PS1 games such as The Raiden Project and Castlevania Symphony of the Night with the standard controller really hurts my thumb during long sessions.

If you must play something like Raiden with a pad this is fine i guess (ASCII pad FT)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I know he's been posted a few pages ago, but this is genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bkKw32dGw

Everything he posts is amazing. I don't even care about Sonic 3D (or Sega other than the Dreamcast, in general) but these videos are enthralling.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Everything he posts is amazing. I don't even care about Sonic 3D (or Sega other than the Dreamcast, in general) but these videos are enthralling.

it's very interesting on a technical level but it's also the perfect insight into that euro demoscene/amiga school of game design where they do all kinds of hacks to make something that looks slick but gameplay is an afterthought, the travellers tales 16/32-bit catalog is turdland

e: not the video you linked specifically but the stuff in the channel in general

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 30, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This is hilarious, I love it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

d0s posted:

it's very interesting on a technical level but it's also the perfect insight into that euro demoscene/amiga school of game design where they do all kinds of hacks to make something that looks slick but gameplay is an afterthought, the travellers tales 16/32-bit catalog is turdland

e: not the video you linked specifically but the stuff in the channel in general

i mean when your idea of fun is Dizzy the Egg, your game design instincts are going to be skewed.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GutBomb posted:

Nowadays when 90s arcade games show up in compilations they are emulated but when did that start? PS2 era or PS3? I was playing Street Fighter collection and Samurai Shodown (it took me until yesterday to realize it's not Samurai Showdown) 1&2 on the PS1 last night and it was probably the best experience outside of an arcade I've ever had playing those games. I'm assuming that since the PS1 is so weak that they were native PS1 games. When did arcade ports stop and arcade emulation start? Or were these ports even somewhat emulated, like they posted over specific libraries as compatibility layers or were they completely re-coded and only the graphic and sound assets carried over?

(Mostly talking about the arcade perfect ports in the ps1/saturn through dreamcast timeframe)

I don't know in general, but Namco Museum 50th Anniversary was apparently the first time any of the Namco Museum series used emulation rather than porting.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

People getting pissed because MAME killed off Shark, RAINE, et al.

Also Final Burn coming out and finally giving us playable Afterburner and Galaxy Force.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It sucks that the OCRemix guy doesn't bother to keep his original emulation scene comic hosted anymore, so you have to read it in archive.org

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

why the gently caress did people get mad about that, apart from needless sectarianism?

I remember having MAME for most stuff, RAINE for Chase HQ, Final Burn for Alien vs Predator, NeorageX for Neo-Geo stuff that wouldn't work in MAME, SYSTEM16 for, well, System 16 stuff...

Who thought that was the optimal way to do things?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

we still have to do this for model2 and naomi stuff...

and probably others that I don't know about

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My OSSC is due in today, but do I need a SD card to use it, or they only used for updating the firmware which I wonder if it already has the most recent pre-installed. I got sd cards, but none to spare without taking one from a device in use.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You only need a card to update it, not to use it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

d0s posted:

we still have to do this for model2 and naomi stuff...

and probably others that I don't know about

If you have an older PC you may also need speedhacked standalones for ZN-1, G-Net, Namco Systems 10-12, early Konami Bemani hardware, or CV1K

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 30, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.google.com/search?q=ossc+sd+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

d0s posted:

instead of consolizing I would really recommend you get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152257119363

or these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152235391790

depending on budget, and the Neo-Geo mainboard of your choice. Yes, it's a little messier and takes some more time to initially set up (I'll be happy to explain everything) but you open up a whole world of arcade stuff beyond the Neo-Geo system. These little supergun boards, particularly the first one I linked, make what used to be kinda complicated and expensive very simple and cheap.

e: also since everything is screw terminals and stuff you can easily build an enclosure for the supergun if you want it in a box

I'd love to be walked through this. And superguns in general.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hexwren posted:

why the gently caress did people get mad about that, apart from needless sectarianism?

I remember having MAME for most stuff, RAINE for Chase HQ, Final Burn for Alien vs Predator, NeorageX for Neo-Geo stuff that wouldn't work in MAME, SYSTEM16 for, well, System 16 stuff...

Who thought that was the optimal way to do things?

Well originally MAME was kinda sucky at a lot of those and didn't really get back to the performance/accuracy standards the other emulators had for a bit after MAME had effectively killed off interest in them. Plus since MAME has almost always had that focus on "all the games" the UI just wasn't optimized for what you needed for actual stuff the way the individual and small-group emulators could be.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You also have to keep in mind that MAME actually being able to play anything is just considered a nice side effect. :v:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'd love to be walked through this. And superguns in general.

'kay. Arcade games are entire game systems usually on a single board:

In some cases they are more like a console, where the motherboard and game are separate, like the Neo-Geo:

Regardless of the configuration, the way these boards interface to the outside world is through the edge connector the guy is pointing to in the second picture. For most games from the mid-80's onward this is in a standard pinout called JAMMA (and for older games you can get an adapter):

Notice here that you have audio and RGB video (15kHz), controller connections for two players, and power/ground points. In the simplest form a supergun just acts as an interface between this connector and your A/V equipment/controllers, it can be made of nothing but wires. You do need a power supply, some people like using a PC power supply (and the superguns I linked allow this) but in most cases it's best to use an arcade power supply as some boards use more or less power and arcade PSUs let you adjust that (the +5V control). It's also important to note that some arcade games require -5V, which most PC power supplies can't provide. These particular superguns compensate for that if you're using a PC power supply and generate a -5V supply. It's still not a good idea to use a PC supply though. You can get a good arcade power supply here:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0064-00

To wire this up you attach wires between the +5V, -5V, +12V, and GND terminals to the appropriate screw terminals on the supergun (this pic shows a PC power supply connected, and the screw terminals empty):

To power the power supply you cut up a standard 3 prong power cable and attach the hot, neutral and earth wires to the 3 lower terminals on the power supply.

To connect to the board, you could just connect the supergun directly to the JAMMA edge with that big blue connector on it, or use something like this to get some space and not have it hanging directly off the board:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381869729342

For video this supergun has a SCART connector and screw terminals. In this case video is RGB only, more expensive superguns have s-video, component, HDMI, etc. but this raises the price by a lot. If you have an RGB setup already for your consoles, you know what to do here. One thing to note is that different arcade games output the video at a different brightness, expecting the operator to adjust the RGB lines on the monitor directly. This is inconvenient for running games at home so most superguns have pots on their rgb lines to adjust this. This particular supergun is unique in that it has both manual pots and an auto brightness setting where you can plug and play with no adjustment necessary.

For controls the supergun has Neo-Geo style DB15 connectors, and screw terminals if you want to wire some controls directly to it. You can directly use a Neo-Geo controller, or build something using real arcade controls and wire them directly to the screw terminals, or make a DB15 adapter. This supergun also has built in autofire which is very handy for shooters. It also has a built in voltmeter so you can set the voltage correctly on your power supply without using a multimeter. You do this with the little knob on the power supply, just adjust it until the voltmeter shows something like 5.1V.

Audio is simple, just connect the red and white RCA connectors on the supergun to your TV or sound system. If you want to know anything else let me know

EDIT:

If you're really ballin you can get something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252807569229

In this case you just attach the board and play (you still need to adjust +5V and brightness per game, but on these good JP superguns the brightness is controlled by a single pot). It has a built in control panel from a real candy cab. It has composite and S-video connections as well as RGB SCART

e2: some more info and a view inside one of these high end superguns: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Boardmaster

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 31, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Might as well add a pic of my supergun setup:

This is a Sigma AV5000, a modular Japanese supergun. I got it cheap on ebay because it was in very bad condition, but these are simple devices and easy to fix. I recently had to solder the controller directly to the internal board because the female-female DB15 cable was destroyed on the inside and controls weren't responding. The sockets used on these things don't connect to normal PC style DB15 connectors so I had to make a quick fix, eventually I'm going to replace all sockets with PC style ones and make proper cables. The PVM is tate'd the wrong way because old Konami boards are stupid and tate the opposite way, with no DIP switch to reverse it. The thing between the JAMMA conenctor and the board is an autofire adapter that provides synced autofire (better than the autofire on the controller) and button remapping. It also has a voltmeter that was added by the goon who sold it to me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
OSSC is really nice and looks great in line x5 on my tv.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am aware of an arcade emulator called Sparcade that ran on DOS and when Rockman and Forte released, people referred to it as Mega Man 9 and there are probably ROMs with the wrong name still out there to download.

And that's like all I know about old emulation that hasn't been said.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fishmech posted:

It sucks that the OCRemix guy doesn't bother to keep his original emulation scene comic hosted anymore, so you have to read it in archive.org

JoseQ’s EmuViews!!! Jesus Christ it’s 1998 in here.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

d0s posted:

Might as well add a pic of my supergun setup:

You can TATE a trinitron? I had no idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Went to PAX-AUS on Saturday and took a couple of pictures of some of the neat poo poo they had in the retro games area.

Gotta love a good Mega Drive tower :allears:. I forgot to grab a proper photo of the Dreamcast stuff on the next shelf down though; It was all signed, including that copy of Power Stone 2.

Did someone say consolized MVS? Because there's an MVS console.

I've never even heard of an Atari XE before, but here's one with a lot of games complete in-box.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've never even heard of an Atari XE before, but here's one with a lot of games complete in-box.

XE was what Blackwater were briefly known as, before becoming Academi.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've never even heard of an Atari XE before
It was a consolized version of Atari's 8-bit computer family.

They also had this in their little glass gallery, which made me chuckle:

EDIT:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I forgot to grab a proper photo of the Dreamcast stuff on the next shelf down though; It was all signed, including that copy of Power Stone 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

It was a consolized version of Atari's 8-bit computer family.

They also had this in their little glass gallery, which made me chuckle:

EDIT:

Ahh, it was the Shenmues I was thinking of that were signed :cripes:.

Did you compete in the Power Stone 2 tournament?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thank you. Nice to see the setup spelled out like that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just got the bitmap book: neo geo a visual history. God drat this is amazing. Makes me want a neo geo but I'll settle for the aca ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gotta love a good Mega Drive tower :allears:.

Unfortunately this won't function. Does anyone know if you can re wire a 32x so it works in Master System mode?