Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

when the actual fresh hell will the full playoff schedule be out this is garbage this league is garbage and so loving help me if there's a match on halloween I'm gonna show up in costume goddamn gently caress mls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Uh, the Timbers away game might be on Halloween. Your home match would be on the 5th.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I'm hoping so bad that the Crew win it. Why, yes, Major League is one of my favorite movies ever.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the escape goat posted:

when the actual fresh hell will the full playoff schedule be out this is garbage this league is garbage and so loving help me if there's a match on halloween I'm gonna show up in costume goddamn gently caress mls

I imagine the league would want this? Would be a fun atmosphere.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

I would like for the New York Red Bulls to beat the Chicago Fire tonight.

This but the opposite

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh no, the home team is playing a match on the day I play dress-up and I am overreacting about it on the Internet

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

The last time the Fire were in the playoffs (can't remember what year but it was back when they still did one-off wildcard games) they had their wildcard game on halloween and it was pretty awesome, felt more like a big costume party than a soccer game.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

gently caress yes. Drunk people in costumes. It would make for good TV. Need a sad Dracula in extra time

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Uh, the Timbers away game might be on Halloween. Your home match would be on the 5th.

uh, I travel to matches.

Star Man posted:

Oh no, the home team is playing a match on the day I play dress-up and I am overreacting about it on the Internet

ain't my fault you hate fun, man.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Surrender Cobra Dracula, make it happen MLS.

Also, way to not post this stuff in the playoffs thread.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If I’ve learned anything from sports, it’s that games on Halloween are fun as hell to watch on TV.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

whypick1 posted:

Surrender Cobra Dracula, make it happen MLS.

Also, way to not post this stuff in the playoffs thread.

Surrender Cobra Commander would be better.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
All timbers fans already do show up in costumes LARPing as sports likers in their European style rooting section

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thanatosian posted:

As a Seattle fan:

I would love to repeat, but really, Toronto deserves it. I'm okay with whatever happens, as long as we don't get knocked out by Portland.

This man does not speak for all of us.

I hope Toronto flames out embarrassingly in a fitting tribute to their stars Bradley & Altidore.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 26, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

trem_two posted:

NASL filed a new anti-trust suit against USSF yesterday, the claim is that MLS tried to acquire the Cosmos in order to shut down the club.

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/922691094869106688

Dumb question but why is it so important to be classified as Division II? Why does NASL need that classification so badly? Is there some kind of benefit?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Mostly :10bux:, partially because if you're hellbent on killing MLS like a few of NASL's backers are, it's much easier when you're #2 instead not #3.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

African AIDS cum posted:

All timbers fans EH

already do show up in costumes EH

LARPing as sports likers EH

in their European style rooting section EH

The above set to O Canada, of course

Jack2142 posted:

This man does not speak for all of us.

I hope Toronto flames out embarrassingly in a fitting tribute to their stars Bradley & Altidore.

I wanna beat them the same way as last year, maybe we'll give them a complex!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Niwrad posted:

Dumb question but why is it so important to be classified as Division II? Why does NASL need that classification so badly? Is there some kind of benefit?

There isn't any benefit directly from the classification, besides maybe USOC placement. In NASL's specific case, the exit fee to leave the league is smaller if the league is sanctioned at D3, but they did that to themselves so...

There's an argument that it's easier to land investors, sponsorships, audiences, and cooperation from local politicians at D2 vs. D3 but I've never been entirely convinced that anyone outside particularly obsessive soccer fans cares about that. Ranking competing closed leagues is a lot like ranking leagues in different countries - it may be useful for governance purposes but consumers and investors and sponsors quite clearly make their decisions based on more organic criteria. USL has been just fine at D3 and the NASL could be too if not for various crippling flaws of its own making.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

E: wrong thread

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Atlanta had an amazing season and nobody will ever be back after a nil draw penalty loss

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Atlanta would've won if they were named something other than loving "United".

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

Atlanta would've won if they were named something other than loving "United".

Agreed. They should have been the Colas.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Footie Mob was an inspired group name. Rename to Footie Mob.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Even one of the worst offside calls I've ever seen couldn't stop Steffen. What a beast. What a game. Save the loving Crew.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm hoping so bad that the Crew win it. Why, yes, Major League is one of my favorite movies ever.

:smug:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
zuzi with the play of all time

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So it looks like Bexar County possibly wants to investigate MLS over the Columbus shenanigans, because apparently the league told San Antonio and the county that if Toyota Field was purchased and refurbished by the local government, then San Antonio would have the fast track to being the third MLS team in Texas.

Of course, this now conflicts with the fact that the league was secretly working with Anthony Precourt with regards to his desire to move Columbus Crew to Austin.

This on top of the fact that the SS&E group was apparently misled about Precourt's moves when they bought the San Antonio Scorpions, folded the team, and started San Antonio FC in the USL.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 30, 2017

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This whole thing stinks. And the fact that MLS knew all about it and didn't care should offend all of us.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

This whole thing stinks. And the fact that MLS knew all about it and didn't care should offend all of us.
I have a feeling this will end in either a large lawsuit or cut-price entry into the league for Spurs Sports & Entertainment.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You really have to admire how stupid this is. MLS headquarters gets the chance to go into business with one of the most well-run sports organizations maybe anywhere on Earth, and Don Garber decides, "Hey, lets gently caress them over."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If MLS thinks California can support four teams, they must think Texas could support four teams (theoretically).

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Let's not forget that Precourt was on the expansion board and thus privy to all of the details of their bid. Surely everything was above board.

Didn't the league require a $5m fee for expansion applications as well?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If MLS thinks California can support four teams, they must think Texas could support four teams (theoretically).
Texas has never supported four teams in one league in any pro sport. There's two in Major League Baseball, two in the NFL, and three in the NBA. And you could argue that Dallas only has an NHL team because Norm Green moved the North Stars there at the behest of his wife after a Sexual Harassment/Assault lawsuit.

If Don Garber thinks Major League Soccer can do Texas better than all four of the long-established North American sporting leagues, then good luck with that.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I would say that Texas is probably the largest undertapped (is that even a word?) soccer market in the country. That doesn't mean we need to rush into a bunch of teams here, but USL is doing great in the state and it's not unrealistic to say that MLS in San Antonio could bring in the Rio Grande Valley market if done correctly*

But the truth of the matter is I just want another driveable road trip. San Antonio could be under three hours' drive. Dallas is 4 hours away. Then KC and Atlanta are both 11 hours by car.

* and there's the hard part

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Crazy Ted posted:

Texas has never supported four teams in one league in any pro sport. There's two in Major League Baseball, two in the NFL, and three in the NBA. And you could argue that Dallas only has an NHL team because Norm Green moved the North Stars there at the behest of his wife after a Sexual Harassment/Assault lawsuit.

If Don Garber thinks Major League Soccer can do Texas better than all four of the long-established North American sporting leagues, then good luck with that.

I don't think it's impossible for Texas to support 4 teams in the same sport. The problem is Austin. DFW won't support two teams in the same sport (though I wish to gently caress it would).

There are really only 4 Metro areas that will support Major League teams of any kind; DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. Even though SanAn and Austin are kind of growing into a huge blob, the culture in the two cities is different enough to have separate fan bases.

Austin is the X factor. Texas Football is probably all they can draw a crowd for. They've never really had much interest in any pro sports. Too many transplants, too many hippies.

Otherwise, Texas supports 3 NBA teams pretty well. I don't think a fourth would be out of the question. Soccer is pretty big in this state (despite FC Dallas attendance because they put the stadium where only rich whites could get to it)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Austin is the X factor. Texas Football is probably all they can draw a crowd for. They've never really had much interest in any pro sports. Too many transplants, too many hippies.
Austin is a lot bigger than it was 10 much less 20 years ago and yeah austin has drawn a lot of transplants but well those transplants are staying there now and have kids etc. Its also routinely one of the top areas for soccer TV ratings and it is good demographically for soccer. Plus UT football is mostly opposite in terms of season. I think a MLS team could do really there well.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Your Boy Fancy posted:

gently caress yes. Drunk people in costumes. It would make for good TV. Need a sad Dracula in extra time

I am down with this.

Oh hi all. Done with school; now I can pay attention to soccer again.

ps go sounders.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

G-Hawk posted:

Austin is a lot bigger than it was 10 much less 20 years ago and yeah austin has drawn a lot of transplants but well those transplants are staying there now and have kids etc. Its also routinely one of the top areas for soccer TV ratings and it is good demographically for soccer. Plus UT football is mostly opposite in terms of season. I think a MLS team could do really there well.

As much as I'd love to have season tickets to a local club, unless they have covered seating, I won't go more than once during June to September.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Let's all argue at the year-end award nominees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The Crew is making all banners enter through one specific gate tonight. My guess is they’ll be checking for anti-MLS or Precourt stuff, as well as like “gently caress THIS poo poo” in giant letters.

• Locked thread